Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Action > Sleeping Dogs
Subscribe    Donate

Old 01-08-2013, 03:27 PM   #1
Kontonno

Kontonno's Gamercard
DLC: Which to buy; Which to pass.

So, the holidays allowed me to purchase Sleeping Dogs brand new for twenty dollars. I popped it in, installed it and went to see what DLC there was. Turns out there is a LOT of downloadable content. I'm not sure what's worth buying and what isn't so I figured I would ask everyone here.

The Ghost Pig Pack
The Community Gift Pack
The Dragon Master Pack
Square Enix Character Pack
The Tactical Soldier Pack
The Drunken Fist Pack
The Screen Legends Pack
Gangland Style Pack
The SWAT Pack
Top Dog Gold Pack
The Deep Undercover Pack
The Martial Arts Pack
The Police Protection Pack
The Triad Enforcer Pack
Top Dog Silver Pack
The High Roller Pack
The GSP Pack
The Street Racer Pack
The Red Envelope
Retro Triad Pack

Nightmare In North Point and The Zodiac Tournament Pack are a given. I plan to purchase those but of the other DLCs available. Which are worth spending MS points on and what are the opinions about them?

Last edited by Kontonno; 01-08-2013 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Adding more DLC pack names and options
Kontonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:43 PM   #2
TheThreeStooges

I would like to know also I loved the demo, So chances are I might pick up all the dlc just add some gameplay and incentive
TheThreeStooges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:43 PM   #3
aspeedomodel

speedo model's Gamercard
Need to check this game out, looks sweet. Dislike games with a lot of DLC though...wish more games gave them as updates for free.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:50 PM   #4
Jack Frost

MEETSP1NNER's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Silver   Staff Club - rekikire   Knife in the Dark Challenge Club - Tier 1   Artist of the Month   Community Gaming - Bronze   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 2   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 1   Micro Guide - Bronze   Over Achiever - Silver   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 10 (more» ...)
Well, the Ghost Pig and Community Packs are free, so go for it.

The Top Dog Gold and Silver packs are cheap and will raise your Cop, Face and Triad experience. Gold more than Silver, obviously and they stack. I dunno about everyone else, but I found Triad XP really hard to come by...

The Police Protection pack adds an on-rails side mission where you get to shoot the tires of pursuing criminal vehicles. Was pretty ho-hum, in my opinion, got it for free with the pre-order tho'.

The Red Envelope Pack places $1,000,000 divided into 20 $50,000 envelopes hidden all over the city. Didn't really have trouble obtaining cash, so I didn't get this one.

The Street Racer pack adds a few more races (imagine that!) but I didn't care much for the racing, so I passed on this as well.

All the rest are just costume packs. Sure some of them add different boosts to stats and XP gains, but they are largely cosmetic. With the exception of the Drunken Fist Pack which adds the drunken fighting style while Wei is wearing it, but again, this is largely a cosmetic enhancement.

So you'll really have to peruse the costume ones yourself to make sure you really want them.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:50 PM   #5
newbsicle

zymotic's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
I bought the Square Enix costume pack and it was total waste. I think I tried every costume on in about 60 seconds, then realized none of them gave any useful multipliers. You're better off just collecting money and buying clothes at the shop.

I also bought the Gold pack and it was much more useful. As soon as it was downloaded I loaded up the game and got several achievements for Triad and Cop levels. It's kinda like EA's time saver pack. If you're not interested in doing all the missions again for respect then buy the Gold or Silver pack.

In all honesty if I could do it all over again I would have saved those 400pts and bought DOOM II.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:38 PM   #6
BiggD
73 Days 'Til Halo 2

BiggDope's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Gold   Road Map - Gold   10,000 posts   Submit - Diamond   Micro Guide - Diamond   A+ Thread Award   CABS Beta Tester   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   Donator - Level 2   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal
Total Awards: 16 (more» ...)
None of them really seem necessary. Nightmare in Northpoint is the only one I care for.

Thanks to Xerofox for the stunningly suave signature!
BiggD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:05 PM   #7
Delta438

Delta748's Gamercard
Personally, I don't think any of them are worth it. They're either cosmetic changes or DLC that adds side missions that can be completed within an hour. Just go for the story-related ones.

Delta438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:48 PM   #8
mandraxx

Send a message via Yahoo to mandraxx Send a message via Skype™ to mandraxx

Mandraxx67's Gamercard
I think these dudes have it right. The XP packs might be worth it for the gold and silver achievements. There is a discount pack, 640 MS points, that includes about 2000 points worth of add-ons. I believe this one has the XP, it's called the discount pack. ** Make sure to check the details on that one, I haven't bought it yet myself. **

The story-related ones are the ones to get, especially if you like achievements. That's one thing I disliked about Sleeping Dogs - I thought the story went too quick, and the other things, like doing events and jobs, took too long.

Maybe if they added a special challenge, for example, a pack that adds a tournament for 1) cleanest drive 2) longest car jump 3) longest bike jump and so on and so forth. People are constantly uploading their scores to the hub, a pack like this would only add to the fun.
mandraxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:33 PM   #9
olthof75

GLOBAL SHARK's Gamercard
yea none of them are really worth it.
olthof75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:03 AM   #10
UberPirateNinja

UberPirateNinja's Gamercard

Awards Showcase XBA Promoter   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze   1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
i bought the one silver XP pack, i just couldn't be arsed to gain another full level of triad XP by replaying missions (it was only going up a sliver at a time). only other DLC i've bought is the game expansions with achievements.
UberPirateNinja is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:36 AM   #11
Ninja Eagle

Captain Cotchy's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Grab all the freebies. Nightmare in North Point and Year of the Snake are the only ones that offer achievements, so they're really the only ones worth the points.

Ninja Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:08 AM   #12
BosmaniaK

Bosmaniak's Gamercard
only two are worthwile, with achievements
Nightmare in North Point (on sale till march 18)
Year of the Snake (560 msp)

also The Triad Enforcer Pack (120 msp) can be worth it if you need more triad xp

The rest is bullshit. don't buy stuff like that, you'll only encourage dev's to do more stuff like that.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:27 AM   #13
iBuzz7S

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   Submit - Bronze   Donator - Level 2
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BosmaniaK View Post
The rest is bullshit. don't buy stuff like that, you'll only encourage dev's to do more stuff like that.
Too true. I just bought the game (Games on Demand FTW) and I had a look through to see what may be worth a look. Just like Saints Row: The Third, most of the add-ons is crap that should of been in the game in the first place.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:08 AM   #14
Ninja Eagle

Captain Cotchy's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBuzz7S View Post
Too true. I just bought the game (Games on Demand FTW) and I had a look through to see what may be worth a look. Just like Saints Row: The Third, most of the add-ons is crap that should of been in the game in the first place.
I know, they're just stupid. Stuff like that I just ignore and point and laugh at the sucker who bought them, because they're just feeding the dev money.

Ninja Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:30 PM   #15
Treyvalyn

Send a message via Yahoo to Treyvalyn

Treyvalyn's Gamercard
Northpoint and Year of the Snake. The rest are just Barbie Doll Dress-Up for Sleeping Dogs. I did get the one that had Deus Ex and Hitman in them because I loved the way they looked and it was on sale (less than 200 pts).

Northpoint is kinda fun actually. Gave that Thriller vibe. Had a lot of potential just short.

Year of the Snake is fun but overall short as well. Lot of potential with the cultists.

Treyvalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:24 AM   #16
BSH 1975

BSH 1975's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Frost View Post
Well, the Ghost Pig and Community Packs are free, so go for it.

The Top Dog Gold and Silver packs are cheap and will raise your Cop, Face and Triad experience. Gold more than Silver, obviously and they stack. I dunno about everyone else, but I found Triad XP really hard to come by...

The Police Protection pack adds an on-rails side mission where you get to shoot the tires of pursuing criminal vehicles. Was pretty ho-hum, in my opinion, got it for free with the pre-order tho'.

The Red Envelope Pack places $1,000,000 divided into 20 $50,000 envelopes hidden all over the city. Didn't really have trouble obtaining cash, so I didn't get this one.

The Street Racer pack adds a few more races (imagine that!) but I didn't care much for the racing, so I passed on this as well.

All the rest are just costume packs. Sure some of them add different boosts to stats and XP gains, but they are largely cosmetic. With the exception of the Drunken Fist Pack which adds the drunken fighting style while Wei is wearing it, but again, this is largely a cosmetic enhancement.

So you'll really have to peruse the costume ones yourself to make sure you really want them.
I bought the top dog GOLD pack before I started playing the game....how do I know I have them in game? I don't see any difference, but I don't really know where to look

BSH 1975 is offline   Reply With Quote