Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Shooter > Halo 4
Subscribe    Donate

Old 02-01-2013, 06:24 AM   #91
DarkReign2021
Banned User

DarkReign2021's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Excluding Halo: CE (since it obviously wins 1st in every category) I believe that Halo: Reach wins in terms of Gameplay, Halo 4 wins in terms of storyline, Halo 2 wins in terms of plot, and ODST wins in terms of Setting/Environment.

Reach's gameplay, as Gheuh said, was the pinnacle of Halo's ascension. Halo 4 scaled back a lot in terms of vehicles and weapons and I felt like a large majority of the games was unfortunately pressing buttons.

Halo 4 definitely had the best overall storyline. They're digging into the Chief's personal history and finally getting into the meat of the series by introducing the Forerunner and their history with Humanity and the Flood. Halo: Reach felt bland because we knew it was hopeless trying to win in the long run anyway.

Halo 2 I gave the best plotline because it was the game that had the most detail. When coming from Halo: CE to Halo 2, there's an enormous jump in information. Halo 1 we were fighting aliens on a ring world to save Earth. Halo 2 really dug into the inner-workings of the Covenant, the religious significance of the Forerunner, it had the first Earth-based combat and we got to learn about the Orbital Mac Grid, the lifestyle of Earth in 2552, the existence of the Gravemind as a master Intelligence of the Flood, etc... While the storyline itself was kind of bland, the little things inside the story is what really allowed it to flow.

ODST gets the trophy for the environment. I loved the characters, I loved the open sandbox city with the nighttime backdrop and the nightvision, I loved the music. There were a couple maps that threw off the feel of the game like Kazingo Boulevard, but otherwise the mood of the game was perfect. It really hit that Film Noir that it was aiming to recreate. Plus the story of Sadie really helped players connect to somebody other than a Military entity, something we haven't gotten much chance to do since I Love Bees.

There's no campaign in the series I haven't enjoyed and I won't play another 200 times in the future. Halo: Reach will probably be my least played (I've already beaten Halo 4 more times than I did Reach) because I felt it grew redundant easier, but that's not saying it's bad by any means.
DarkReign2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:01 PM   #92
BiggD
51 Days 'Til Halo 2

BiggDope's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Gold   Road Map - Gold   10,000 posts   Submit - Diamond   Micro Guide - Diamond   A+ Thread Award   CABS Beta Tester   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   Donator - Level 2   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal
Total Awards: 16 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkReign2021 View Post
Excluding Halo: CE (since it obviously wins 1st in every category) I believe that Halo: Reach wins in terms of Gameplay, Halo 4 wins in terms of storyline, Halo 2 wins in terms of plot, and ODST wins in terms of Setting/Environment.

Halo 2 I gave the best plotline because it was the game that had the most detail. When coming from Halo: CE to Halo 2, there's an enormous jump in information. Halo 1 we were fighting aliens on a ring world to save Earth. Halo 2 really dug into the inner-workings of the Covenant, the religious significance of the Forerunner, it had the first Earth-based combat and we got to learn about the Orbital Mac Grid, the lifestyle of Earth in 2552, the existence of the Gravemind as a master Intelligence of the Flood, etc... While the storyline itself was kind of bland, the little things inside the story is what really allowed it to flow.

There's no campaign in the series I haven't enjoyed and I won't play another 200 times in the future. Halo: Reach will probably be my least played (I've already beaten Halo 4 more times than I did Reach) because I felt it grew redundant easier, but that's not saying it's bad by any means.
Please tell me I'm reading this wrong: "Reach wins in terms of gameplay...it's [not] bad by any means."

Dude, Reach had so much potential (with Nylund's book) and it was awful. The characters sucked. The flow of the story sucked. That's honestly what made it bad. The storyline as a whole, minus the structure/flow, was decent but Emile, Kat and Carter were...I don't even have to say it.

I bolded your Halo 2 stuff bcause those reasons are exactly why it's still my favorite Campaign. But Halo 4 does indeed win best storyline for obvious reasons. Now that I think about it, 2 and 4 are almost equal for me. 55/45 Halo 2.

I don't know if nostalgia is what makes you think CE was that good, or if you really enjoyed it that much...but 2 and 4 were a lot better than CE. Wait, what do you think of Halo 3 though?

EDIT: ODST was kinda forgettable, IMO.

Thanks to Xerofox for the stunningly suave signature!

Last edited by BiggD; 02-01-2013 at 03:04 PM.
BiggD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:16 PM   #93
DarkReign2021
Banned User

Every argument you mounted against Reach had no basis on my statement regarding the Campaign. I said the gameplay was the best. The addition of Armor Abilities like the Jetpack, the removal of balance-breaking dual-wielding, the inclusion of more unique weapons in favor of the clones of clones in Halo 3, the reintroduction of the Health Bar, the unique variety of levels like the up-front missions like Sword Base, the stealthy Nightfall mission, the Saber and Covenant Cruiser hijacking, the civilian rescue op on Exodus, and the Falcon mission in New Alexandria. My personal favorite was Exodus after getting the Jetpack. IMO they should have made the jetpack available sooner and made the level longer so I could break more barriers with it. I was disappointed by the removal of Brute Weapons and vehicles, but beyond that the gameplay was the pinnacle of the series (Halo 4 even followed suit in most of the design decisions of Reach, though it changed less drastically from Reach than Reach did from H3.)

Halo 2 is always rapped with being bad because it was effectively the exact same story as Halo 1. This is true, but Halo 1 simply didn't have the drive that Halo 2 had. Halo 2 had the Prophets and their lies, Tartarus inciting the civil war, the backstory of the Covenant through the eyes of the Arbiter (still a huge mistake ever removing the Arbiter's portion of the campaign from the game. They could have at least made a second optional campaign covering the Arbiter's role in Halo 3...) Halo 2 is what it was because Bungie didn't expect the response they got to Halo 1. It took off way further than they ever expected and they invested a phenomenal amount of effort into fleshing out the Halo Bible after it's release. It wasn't nearly as comprehensive as it was during H2's development.

ODST was, for the most part, forgettable, but I love Vergil and (for some strange reason and I think it may relate to being a huge Firefly fanatic) I love Buck. Plus the Rookie was just cool. I loved the Streets of New Mombasa portion of the game and oftentimes will just put the game in and go hunting in the dark. I like to find one of Vergil's weapon caches. A mongoose and a sniper rifle and suddenly the hunted became the hunter. It also introduced the Engineers, and on a much more personal level than anything I ever expected. I'm actually shocked and offended there were no engineers in Halo 4 at all. Would've preferred being greeted by them than the Sentinels when close to the Librarian.

Halo 1 is not nostalgia purposes, though I do confess to nostalgia in the sense of I LOVE the graphic swap on Anniversary. It's amazing, not so much in it's scope, but in it's process. A game that began as an RTS on Mac, than became a 3rd person shooter on PC and Mac and finally a 1st person shooter on the Xbox. Upon being bought out, almost all of the game assets were scrapped during the conversion to the FPS model and in a mere 7 months, the entire game was built. It had practically no competition at the time, but that changed as games like Killzone, Red Faction 2, and Mace Griffin surfaced in an attempt to beat it, all of them failing to do so in the process. At the same time, Halo 1 was the ultimate success of the console FPS genre. It introduced the dual-weapon system, literally invented the dual-analog control schematic, popularized Weapon Melee and the use of rechargeable shields and was an enormous step forward in cinematic storytelling in an FPS title. It had memorable enemies, detailed indoor and expansive outdoor environments intricately balanced throughout the Campaign, had extremely balanced weapons that were fun to use and all had their point of efficiency, and popularized FPS vehicle use and actually created a system that made them fun to use. So while the other Campaigns in the series might have improved on Halo: CE all in one way or another, ultimately Halo: CE is the perfect balance of everything and all done in a crunch to make the Holiday Launch.

As for Halo 3, least favorite campaign and second least favorite multiplayer for me (Second to Reach.)
Old 02-01-2013, 11:53 PM   #94
BiggD
51 Days 'Til Halo 2

BiggDope's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Gold   Road Map - Gold   10,000 posts   Submit - Diamond   Micro Guide - Diamond   A+ Thread Award   CABS Beta Tester   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   Donator - Level 2   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal
Quote:
I said the gameplay was the best. The addition of Armor Abilities like the Jetpack, the removal of balance-breaking dual-wielding, the inclusion of more unique weapons in favor of the clones of clones in Halo 3, the reintroduction of the Health Bar, the unique variety of levels like the up-front missions like Sword Base, the stealthy Nightfall mission, the Saber and Covenant Cruiser hijacking, the civilian rescue op on Exodus, and the Falcon mission in New Alexandria. My personal favorite was Exodus after getting the Jetpack.
I apologize for my outburst towards Reach, I just hated the game despite me logging countless hours into it. I still will admit I wasn't a fan of AA's and the Health Bar for reasons I mentioned before. Since we're not gonna agree on Reach, I'll just stand by my convictions that I hated the Long Night of Solace missions. Hated Exodus. Hated New Alexandria.

Sure, I finished the game LASO (Co-Op) for the weeklies, but I still didn't enjoy the context or gameplay of the Campaign.

Quote:
Halo 2 had the Prophets and their lies, Tartarus inciting the civil war, the backstory of the Covenant through the eyes of the Arbiter (still a huge mistake ever removing the Arbiter's portion of the campaign from the game. They could have at least made a second optional campaign covering the Arbiter's role in Halo 3...)
Introduction of the Prophets, Tartarus, Arbiter, Rtas (Fleet Master) and Miranda Keyes is what made the game 1+ in terms of 'minor' depth. It made the game feel more significant with all these big names and enemies.

THNAK YOU! I loved playing as the Arbiter, I don't know how someone would not. Bungie said that they removed his gameplay because fans complained it took away from the Chief's story. Fuck that!

Quote:
ODST was, for the most part, forgettable, but I love Vergil and (for some strange reason and I think it may relate to being a huge Firefly fanatic)...I loved the Streets of New Mombasa portion of the game and oftentimes will just put the game in and go hunting in the dark. I'm actually shocked and offended there were no engineers in Halo 4 at all.
Alotta people I know who liked ODST like/liked Firefly, and since I had never heard of them before, I guess that's why I had no care for the characters. I did like the whole exploration part of the Mombasa streets though, it was kinda fun at times, yet kinda annoying when you couldn't find the next 'clue' or whatever you wanna call it.

Perhaps Engineers will be present in Halo 5? I would hope so, after reading Glasslands (the whole event with Lucy and them, I've grown to like them a lot).

Quote:
Halo 1 is not nostalgia purposes. It's amazing, not so much in it's scope, but in it's process. Halo 1 was the ultimate success of the console FPS genre. It had memorable enemies, detailed indoor and expansive outdoor environments intricately balanced throughout the Campaign, had extremely balanced weapons that were fun to use and all had their point of efficiency. So while the other Campaigns in the series might have improved on Halo: CE all in one way or another, ultimately Halo: CE is the perfect balance of everything and all done in a crunch to make the Holiday Launch.
I agree with the bolded stuff, everyone always refers to Halo being one of the largest, if not the largest, console FPS. Halo and 343 Guilty Spark are probably my favorite levels of the game due to the environment, setting and outdoor awesomeness. With that said, I could see why you love Halo CE so much, but my vote still goes to Halo 2

Quote:
As for Halo 3, least favorite campaign and second least favorite multiplayer for me (Second to Reach.)
Multiplayer for me was extremely enjoyable with my group of friends. The maps, playlists and everything were perfect for my taste. Campaign wise, I enjoyed it, but it felt 'rushed' and the fact that they just start killing off almost everyone was kinda annoying. Though the ending was phenomenal.

Halo 1 had a great ending because you knew for a fact that "Halo" wasn't finished. Halo 2 had a semi-annoying, semi-epic ending because Bungie gave us the biggest cliff-hanger ever, lol. Halo Reach and ODST had decent endings, but forgettable IMO. Halo 4 had a strong and emotional ending with the loss of Cortana and the removal of the Chief's armor. But Halo 3 had one of the best endings in the series. From the moment you find Cortana's message-chip at the end of Floodgate to the end, every cinematic was perfect for me.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:02 AM   #95
Ty-Rex
I <3 troy0891 x360a

Tylord824's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 1   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 3   CABS Beta Tester   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 2   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - * Clueless *   Subscriber - Bronze   Micro Guide - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 10 (more» ...)
Although I don't feel like Reach had the best multiplayer experience throughout it's development, I feel like when 343 gave the first patch to re-enable melee bleedthrough and reduced bloom it did have multiplayer on par with Halo 2 and 3 for the short period of time it lasted until they removed bleedthrough and took away Spartans having evade (RIP) as a loadout choice.

I think had Bungie had the time to finish Halo 2 the way they wanted to, it would easily have been considered the best Halo campaign there was by all accounts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakethemuss View Post
I could be a stud with females and get laid all the time

Ty-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:20 AM   #96
BiggD
51 Days 'Til Halo 2

BiggDope's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gheuh2 View Post
Although I don't feel like Reach had the best multiplayer experience throughout it's development, I feel like when 343 gave the first patch to re-enable melee bleedthrough and reduced bloom it did have multiplayer on par with Halo 2 and 3 for the short period of time it lasted until they removed bleedthrough and took away Spartans having evade (RIP) as a loadout choice.

I think had Bungie had the time to finish Halo 2 the way they wanted to, it would easily have been considered the best Halo campaign there was by all accounts.
Ehh, Thruster Pack - Evade -> same thing to me.

Wasn't Halo 3 supposed to be in the script of Halo 2, but they had to cut it for being too long?

Just a thought. I'm pretty sure 343 were the ones who made the Defiant Map Pack. Highlands was in the DLC Pack. Highlands was also the best MP map in Reach. Why can't 343 do maps like that for Halo 4? I'd still be playing Halo 4 if it were fun, oh well.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:44 AM   #97
Ty-Rex
I <3 troy0891 x360a

Tylord824's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 1   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 3   CABS Beta Tester   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 2   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - * Clueless *   Subscriber - Bronze   Micro Guide - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   1,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The BiggD View Post
Not even close dude. Thruster may be the best all-around ability in Halo 4, but it doesn't have a damn thing on evade from Reach. You are stuck not being able to move, shoot or melee for half a second after using thruster, but you could do anything as soon as the animation finished with evade.
Quote:

Old 02-02-2013, 12:46 AM   #98
DarkReign2021
Banned User

My biggest problem with Halo 3's campaign was that it didn't instill any sense of "wow" in me. I mean you've got this big buildup with Forerunner and Flood and the Covenant war is coming to a close and Humanity is somehow tied to the Covenant's Gods, but ultimately in the long run Halo 3's campaign was simply Shoot aliens, go to alien planet, shoot more aliens, blow up planet. The Flood played practically no role in the game except popping up as occasional nuisances until the last two levels. The big bad covenant seemingly put all of their cards on a single bet by going through the portal (and they didn't seem to have very many ships. The Covenant Armada was 500 ships at Reach and that was a fraction of their Fleet, so I don't understand why the Prophet went through with just a dozen ships.) Even more strangely is how the Forerunner Dreadnought just disappeared from existence after going through the portal.

The first 3 levels were the Chief blindly romping around trying to gather his bearings. Level 4 and 5 were amazing because the story was finally kicking off and the Flood on Earth was a huge negative moment for the series... until they were glassed and completely eliminated within the 1st level like nothing. Than you get to the Ark and the first thing you do is go to the Cartographer that Humanity has magically already discovered within minutes of discovering the Installation. You get your coordinates, than shoot straight for the Prophet who offers practically no resistance, only to be attacked by the Gravemind, whom you never see again afterward. Than you go to Cortana, which was a miserable experience, albeit important story-wise and the last level you activate Halo and drive to the FUD to escape. There was no sense of exploration, no racing the covenant to their goal since everybody magically knows where the "You are here" map is now. Guilty Spark himself was probably the most sci-fi element of the story with him referring to Humanity as Forerunner (even though that's turned out to be false) but we got an extremely canned final boss fight. Even the final Warthog run seemed really lazy. I understand the Halo Installation is still under construction, but driving around on a bunch of platforms really didn't do anything for me. At the very least they should've had us cutting through portions of a re-interpreted AotCR level since we were at the control room at the time.

As for multiplayer, I didn't like any of the original maps (and people say the Halo 4 maps were bad...) and the playlists were awful because of the Veto system and people only ever wanting to play the same two maps and gametypes. On top of that I didn't like how Dual-wielding weakened weapons, I personally feel the Spartan Laser is the worst thing to ever be added to the Halo series (makes using vehicles practically useless in Halo 3. Thank god they cut it back in the later games), every weapon in the game had at least 1 clone, which was pretty much pointless, most of the equipment was garbage that didn't do anything useful. I think probably what ruined it for me the most, though, was that all of my friends that I played with in Halo 2 moved on or I otherwise lost contact with them when moving over to Xbox 360. I was then forced to deal with the community, which turned out to be a large, arrogant cesspool of MLG scumbags and wannabe try-hards that lived and breathed the Battle Rifle, denounced anybody that was lower than level 50, bragged about MLG playlists being a real multiplayer experience, and crying whenever they got stuck with a playlist that didn't have BR spawn because they weren't comfortable with playing by the actual rules the game had established before MLG even existed. In other words, MLG can suck it. The only thing I really liked about Halo 3 (which Reach did well as well) was downloading Forge Maps and exploring the strange creations people had come up with. In Halo 3, it was completely new and unique.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:52 AM   #99
DarkReign2021
Banned User

Quote:

Wasn't Halo 3 supposed to be in the script of Halo 2, but they had to cut it for being too long?

Just a thought. I'm pretty sure 343 were the ones who made the Defiant Map Pack. Highlands was in the DLC Pack. Highlands was also the best MP map in Reach. Why can't 343 do maps like that for Halo 4? I'd still be playing Halo 4 if it were fun, oh well.
They did do the Defiant pack (well, actually they were created by Certain Affinity, which is the team that did all of the Halo 2 Maps and the Anniversary Map pack.) And I agree, I wouldn't even be against them porting over the Anniversary Map pack from Reach to work with Halo 4. I've never understood why a new game must have new maps every time. It seems like it would make more sense to include the original maps and simply add on more each time. It takes little effort to port maps from game to game.

Edit: And after talking about Halo 3's multiplayer, I found a thing on Halo Council where they're trying to get people to log on between Feb 1-3 to play Halo 3 as a sort of Final sendoff. I decided to hop on and just... wow. I really am spoiled by Reach and H4. This game is soooooooooo slow. I really need a sprint button now. lol. It's like playing Halo in slow-mo. The Campaign is fine, but MP is just so painful...

Last edited by DarkReign2021; 02-02-2013 at 01:21 AM.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:14 AM   #100
BiggD
51 Days 'Til Halo 2

BiggDope's Gamercard

Quote:
My biggest problem with Halo 3's campaign was that it didn't instill any sense of "wow" in me.
Yeah, I can't really disagree with the lack of "wow" in Halo. But the cutscenes made up for it. Especially finding Cortana and the ending of Floodgate.

But honestly, you and your exploration man... I honestly think you need to just play more RPG's and understand that Halo probably won't be about exploring these mysterious worlds (which would be cool though). Guilty Spark's death/fight was incredibly stupid - and the fact that Johnson died by Spark was even worse. Wtf.

I don't see how you didn't enjoy the disc-maps. Guardian, Epitaph, Pitt, Narrows and Isolation were fantastic. Then Standoff, Foundry, and Ghost Town (DLC maps) were solid. The Mythic maps were whatever....never played on them much.

Spartan Laser makes sense for Campaign but I agree to a certain extent that it's unnecessary for MP.

Quote:
I think probably what ruined it for me the most, though, was that all of my friends that I played with in Halo 2 moved on or I otherwise lost contact with them when moving over to Xbox 360. The only thing I really liked about Halo 3 (which Reach did well as well) was downloading Forge Maps and exploring the strange creations people had come up with. In Halo 3, it was completely new and unique.
Conversely, playing with a solid group of close friend was probably the sole reason that made Halo 3 so good. I didn't have them around for Halo 2 (and didn't even play Halo 2 that much compared to 3), so that's probably why I loved 3's MP.

As for Forge-Maps, I loved these. The peeps who made those 'puzzle' or 'portal' maps were so creative and there were countless other maps/gametypes that were a must-see & must-play in Halo 3. Damn.
Quote:
I was then forced to deal with the community, which turned out to be a large, arrogant cesspool of MLG scumbags and wannabe try-hards.
Which is exactly why I no longer play MP games unless I have a friend or two online. Xbox Live community sucks.

Quote:
I wouldn't even be against them porting over the Anniversary Map pack from Reach to work with Halo 4. I've never understood why a new game must have new maps every time. It seems like it would make more sense to include the original maps and simply add on more each time. It takes little effort to port maps from game to game.

Edit: I really am spoiled by Reach and H4.[Halo 3] is soooooooooo slow. I really need a sprint button now. lol. It's like playing Halo in slow-mo. The Campaign is fine, but MP is just so painful...
Anniversary maps in Halo 4 would be so win. And I don't doubt it! Sprint is like mandatory in every FPS/TPS now. No one likes 'walking' anymore.

Old 02-02-2013, 03:40 AM   #101
DarkReign2021
Banned User

Well in other news, I'm happy to announce my Halo collection has regained two very important pieces today. My entire OXM magazine collection from Issue #01 to about a year ago was destroyed when my home was hit with some major water damage. Today I was able to replace two of the 3 most important issues. The December 2004 issue with the Halo 2 review and June 2003 issue with the world's first official Halo 2 Exclusive review. Both are still wrapped in plastic and perfect condition. From the OXM collection, the only other one I'm interested in replacing is issue #2 with the Halo: CE cover and the game walkthrough inside. That one is a tricky beast to find. (Doubt I'll be this lucky, but if anybody reading this has a copy of the magazine in good condition, I'd be willing to give you $10 + shipping. My current mission is to collect magazine with Halo on the Cover.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:24 AM   #102
DarkReign2021
Banned User

Episode 8 is now officially released. Haven't played the missions yet since I'm still filling in the last couple chapters for the rebuilt SpOps Commendation thread. I watched the video, though. Disappointingly shorter than the rest, but on a whole new level of epic. Spartan Thorne Fistfight with Gek and our first ever physical footage of [now Admiral] Osman. Guess we know one thing that'll happen in Traviss' next novel. And of course, she still harbors quite a hatred toward Dr. Halsey. No surprise there.

Looking at the levels, I'm disappointed to see that all 5 of them are repeats, Apex being from last week and Cyclone, Warrens, Lockup, & Control were all featured in Episode 6. A couple of the images suggest the layout and appearance will be unique at least, so it should still feel pretty fresh.

Apex I've played and it was a bit larger than last time, but it was the same basic layout with caves and winding beach paths.

Cyclone is the Vortex MP map, so not expecting anything new there

Warrens was the one where we initially found the sleep grunts and were able to jack the banshees. This one I expect will change a bit and hopefully banshee will be brought into play again.

Lockup was the 1st level in Episode 6 where Crimson was being held prisoner. Can't imagine much changed here either, but the image given shows a bright green room in contrast to anywhere we went the first time through, so hopefully we get to visit some new locations in the process.

Control is the level based on Requiem in the Campaign. Hopefully we don't end up in exactly the same area. I'd personally like to go to the Bridge area after the point where the map stopped last time.

Last edited by DarkReign2021; 02-04-2013 at 11:22 AM.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:05 PM   #103
BiggD
51 Days 'Til Halo 2

BiggDope's Gamercard

Quote:
Episode 8 is now officially released. Haven't played the missions yet since I'm still filling in the last couple chapters for the rebuilt SpOps Commendation thread. I watched the video, though. Disappointingly shorter than the rest, but on a whole new level of epic. Spartan Thorne Fistfight with Gek and our first ever physical footage of [now Admiral] Osman. Guess we know one thing that'll happen in Traviss' next novel. And of course, she still harbors quite a hatred toward Dr. Halsey. No surprise there.
Just got a chance to catch the Episode 8 Cinematic....DAMN!!! So much awesomeness happening at once. Imagine if a Spartan-II (John) were fighting Gek instead of a weak Spartan-IV.

Spoiler! (click here to reveal)

Glad to see Osman make an appearance. About damn time. I remember the very first Spartan Ops Cinematic (before I knew who Palmer was) thinking Sarah Palmer was Osman. But damn...her hate towards Halsey hasn't changed a bit. Which worries me because they can't possibly kill Halsey in Spartan Ops or any of the games - she's to vital to their understanding of...well, everything.

Overall, great Intro. Definitely eager to play the Chapters when I get home from work.

Oh, and Sarah Palmer needs to stop trying to hate Halsey. It's getting annoying. Although it was badass she punched the table.

Last edited by BiggD; 02-04-2013 at 12:13 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:18 PM   #104
Kaiyo

KaiyoOrganiz000's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Too bad we get the same maps yet again for Episode 8.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:20 PM   #105
DarkReign2021
Banned User

I don't think Lasky will go through with the Kill Order. You could see the hesitation in his facial expressions. He knows Dr. Halsey is the reason the Human race even survived the war and she's the only one that can make sense of anything that's going on around Requiem. Not to mention his unflinching resolve and respect toward the Master Chief would no doubt prevent him from harming her just out of respect. Chief wouldn't want to see her harmed.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:23 PM   #106
BiggD
51 Days 'Til Halo 2

BiggDope's Gamercard

Quote:
I don't think Lasky will go through with the Kill Order. You could see the hesitation in his facial expressions. He knows Dr. Halsey is the reason the Human race even survived the war and she's the only one that can make sense of anything that's going on around Requiem. Not to mention his unflinching resolve and respect toward the Master Chief would no doubt prevent him from harming her just out of respect. Chief wouldn't want to see her harmed.
True. It's not that he doesn't have the balls, he just knows Catherine is too important. She made John -> John saved Humanity 3874 times.

I really want to see Chief and Halsey reunite. Like that's my #1 wish for future Halo games.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:25 AM   #107
Hishoa

i haven't watched any of the cinematics for episode 6+. fuck ya'll for spoiling it.

Hishoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:37 AM   #108
LickableLemons7

SublimeThugLife's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 2   Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - DEG23   Micro Guide - Bronze   Staff Club - DeekBoy   Submit - Bronze   2,500 Posts   XBA Promoter   Staff Club - * Clueless *   Over Achiever - Bronze
Quote:
I don't think Lasky will go through with the Kill Order.
Fo' sho'. Lasky's disobeyed orders before. Del Rio was a bitch, so Lasky was all like "Fuck you Del Rio!" and stuck it to him.

Admiral Osman's a bitch, so Lasky will go defiant on her ass.

And the events in Forward Unto Dawn...

Oh Lasky, such a rebel.

Wonder what's gonna happen to Halsey now.

I like how the opening cinematics steal the show. Terribly unoriginal episode compared to the previous two in terms of gameplay, but figured they'd reuse some more maps. Wasn't expecting all of them to be reused though.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:16 AM   #109
DarkReign2021
Banned User

Lasky seems to be making a career for himself out of being rebellious. Rebellion during FUD ended up him being one of the only survivors + got to meet the Chief + Ended up as Commander aboard Infinity. Disobeying Del Rio landed him the job as Infinity's Captain (although admittedly, Parangosky and Osman wanted Lasky in charge to begin with.) We'll have to see what disobeying Osman will get him. Probably promoted to Admiral.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hishoa View Post
i haven't watched any of the cinematics for episode 6+. fuck ya'll for spoiling it.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:02 AM   #110
BiggD
51 Days 'Til Halo 2

BiggDope's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickableLemons7 View Post
I like how the opening cinematics steal the show. Terribly unoriginal episode compared to the previous two in terms of gameplay, but figured they'd reuse some more maps. Wasn't expecting all of them to be reused though.
Yeah, I just got done playing through them and they're aren't that great. Missions 4 and 5 were completely useless, like wtf? Cinematic was awesome though.

Quote:
Lasky seems to be making a career for himself out of being rebellious. We'll have to see what disobeying Osman will get him. Probably promoted to Admiral.
That would be....interesting. Hope something epic happens in the last two Cinematics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hishoa View Post
Whoops!

Old 02-05-2013, 03:17 AM   #111
DarkReign2021
Banned User

Chapter 5 was interesting enough for it's own sake, but it was a pain for doing the enemy count solo. Spent half the damn map taking out my own turrets just to keep them from killing anything.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:07 AM   #112
BiggD
51 Days 'Til Halo 2

BiggDope's Gamercard

Quote:
Chapter 5 was interesting enough for it's own sake, but it was a pain for doing the enemy count solo. Spent half the damn map taking out my own turrets just to keep them from killing anything.
The turrets were pretty sweet but it was just unnecessarily long - too many Chapters have unnecessary amounts of Covie waves.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:55 AM   #113
StarsRPD

Eskobar M92's Gamercard
I just watched cinematic to newest episode [awesome]. But it's now back to server not available. Spartan Ops seems to be on/off at the moment. Edit: War games too. I'll be back tomorrow and try again.

Last edited by StarsRPD; 02-05-2013 at 08:48 AM.
StarsRPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:48 PM   #114
Ty-Rex
I <3 troy0891 x360a

Tylord824's Gamercard

Quote:
The turrets were pretty sweet but it was just unnecessarily long - too many Chapters have unnecessary amounts of Covie waves.
My favorite part was where Palmer yelled at us and told us to clear out the covies in this area.
Quote:

Old 02-11-2013, 12:09 PM   #115
BiggD
51 Days 'Til Halo 2

BiggDope's Gamercard

Intro to Episode 9 is tooooooo epic! Can't wait to play these tonight!

Old 02-12-2013, 01:58 PM   #116
Kaiyo

KaiyoOrganiz000's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Was impressed with Episode 9 with the appearance of several things during the cutscene and gameplay....
Old 02-12-2013, 02:20 PM   #117
BiggD
51 Days 'Til Halo 2

BiggDope's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiyo View Post
Was impressed with Episode 9 with the appearance of several things during the cutscene and gameplay....
Word. Overall it was actually a good Episode. I liked how the maps were opened up more and the missions weren't boring at all.

One more Episode, hope they end the Season with a bang.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:33 PM   #118
MixMaker1

MixMaker117's Gamercard
In the first chapter to this week's, do you notice the Sentinels. They also zap the top of the forerunner structure before we hear a short snippet from the Librarian. I found that interesting.

100% COMPLETED HALO PROFILE!
Marathon: Durandal / 100% (15/15 Achievements)
Halo Wars / 100% (58/58 Achievements)
Halo 2: Vista / 100% (41/41 Achievements)
Halo 3: ODST / 100% (47/47 Achievements)
Halo 3 / 100% (79/79 Achievements)
Halo Reach / 100% (69/69 Achievements)
Halo: CE:A / 100% (44/44 Achievements)
Halo 4 / 100% (76/76 Achievements)

UPCOMING!
Halo: Spartan Assault / 0% (20/20)
MixMaker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:19 PM   #119
BiggD
51 Days 'Til Halo 2

BiggDope's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMaker1 View Post
In the first chapter to this week's, do you notice the Sentinels. They also zap the top of the forerunner structure before we hear a short snippet from the Librarian. I found that interesting.
I sure did. I thought it was both cool and interesting that the were helping us. I don't recall what the Librarian said right now, but when I heard it, I was like "WAIT WHAT?!"

Very cool stuff. I'm sure next week's Season 'finale' will be amazing. I really want a Season 2 now.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:27 PM   #120
DarkReign2021
Banned User

I enjoyed it. Not the best in the set and I'm disappointed that they've used the same 5 levels again for yet another Episode, but at least they're finding ways to keep most of the levels feeling fresh(er than the first 5 episodes did.) The only mission I didn't really like this week was 'Clean Up.' That level was fun the first time we went there, but it's the same area and it's failed to change anything up. Still requires going in circles pressing buttons (I'm noticing Halo 4 does a LOT of button pressing. I like the idea of pressing buttons having the small animation instead of mind pressing like most games do, but it does make you more aware of just how often you do press them.)

Fortunately for me, Apex remains my favorite map and generally my favorite series of missions so far. The fact that they let me run through most of it with a Scorpion Tank wins it the title of Best map ever. If only there had been more vehicles though. I'd have loved taking on some Wraiths and Banshee (which seem to have disappeared from existence since Episode 3, Chapter 4. Did we destroy every banshee in existence during that run?)