Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Shooters > Halo 4
Subscribe    Donate

Old 01-19-2013, 04:23 PM   #1
Hishoa

A thorough explanation of the declining competitiveness of Halo multiplayer:

Quote by -notthesun-

"This ended up being far longer than I planned. Ah well. Once you get me going on this I can't stop. As a big MLG Halo fan, reading this (or re-reading... anyone involved in the MLG Halo community has seen these gripes repeated over and over since Reach came out) makes me want to... well, like he said, write a 2000 word essay. Probably longer. Rather than launch an in-depth rant about specific game mechanics (as tempting as it is), I'd like to talk about the general design philosophy behind the Halo series, and the competitive community's perspective on each title.

He started his discussion with Halo 2, which is fair enough since it was the first to have online multiplayer. But among the competitive Halo scene, Halo 1 is king. It's practically sacred. So, from the point of view of the competitive Halo player, Halo 1 is the bar. Every sequel in the Halo series has failed to hit that bar, and the further you look down the line of Halo titles, the more spectacularly so.

What made Halo 1 truly special was it offered something unique. The incredible mechanics of the game are what made it so competitive, but the identity of the game is what made it stand out. It was (in relative FPS terms) a slow-paced arena shooter with fast kill times, regenerative shields, grenades which are "tossed" quickly (instead of functioning as a separate weapon like other FPS games, in which you have to pull them out, pull the pin, cook and throw them), power weapons and powerups which spawn on consistent intervals and in consistent locations, all players beginning the match on perfectly even footing, and most importantly, a useful utility weapon which provides effective means of protecting yourself anywhere on the map (this is essential; consider other arena-style FPS games, such as Quake, in which the starting weapon is the weakest one, and players try to get other weapons as soon as possible so as not to be stuck with it).

When people refer to "classic Halo", this is the formula they're talking about. This formula has slowly eroded as more Halo titles have been released. Halos 2 and 3 follow this formula enough to fall under "classic Halo" for most players. Halo Reach is generally regarded as the game which formed the divide between "new Halo" and "classic Halo", and if Reach ignored the classic formula, Halo 4 threw it out the window.

So, Halo 2. Halo 2 follows all the "rules" of classic Halo fairly well. Not quite as well as Halo 1, but it was still very competitive, staying mostly true to the Halo design. It's worth noting that Bungie released a patch early in Halo 2's life which significantly altered the gameplay for the better. Most competitive players (who played Halo 1) were happy with Halo 2, but aware of its problems. As later Halo games were released, Halo 2 has been seen in an increasingly positive light.

Halo 3 again stayed true to the classic Halo formula, but again slight changes made it less competitive than Halo 2 (and far less than Halo 1). The changes made to the game seemed to indicate Bungie designed it to be a bit more friendly to the less-skilled than past Halo titles. While Halo 3 was out, many in the competitive community were underwhelmed, yet hopeful for the game-saving patch Bungie would put out, as they did with Halo 2. But the patch never came. Amid popular cries for a change to the BR to make it more like Halo 2, Bungie put out a blog post going into detail about the mechanics of the BR, and ultimately defended said mechanics, refusing to make a change. Halo 3 was generally regarded to be worse than Halo 2 and far worse than Halo 1; it wasn't until the release of Reach (and Halo 4) that it was seen a bit more favorably.

Next up is Halo Reach. Reach is the game which sent Halo veering off in an entirely new direction. MLG Halo had never been more popular than at the end of Halo 3, and Reach single-handedly crushed all of it's momentum. It introduced, for the first time in Halo, players beginning with different abilities or weapons. It messed with nearly every other "rule" of classic Halo. Most significantly, the philosophy behind the game's design was clearly set on catering to the new, unskilled Halo player. Weapon bloom slowed kill times to a grind and made weapons inaccurate and random, giving worse players a better chance in firefights. The utility weapon was no longer reliable; new players didn't have to worry about being taken down so often. It was Bungie's final Halo game, and they essentially delivered a slap in the face to competitive players. They left Halo with their worst game, and never so much as mentioned the possibility of making any changes. 343 Industries took over control of Reach for the latter part of its lifespan.

And then it happened. The patch. 343 delivered. Their very first contribution to the Halo series was to cater directly to the competitive scene. Bloom was removed. Armor Lock was nerfed. Shield bleed through was brought back. The competitive Halo community was ecstatic. 343 were the good guys. They were going to save competitive Halo.
Then Halo 4 came out.

As Caboosian explained*, it just got worse. The competitive community, after the Reach patch, expected 343 to guide Halo back to it's classic glory. But the patch was just throwing competitive players a bone; something to keep us around, and something they could do with no shame - they didn't make Reach, there was no pride involved. No, 343 never intended on going the classic, competitive route. Instead, they continued down the same path Bungie did with Reach, inserting more elements into the game designed to hold the hand of newer players, devalue skill, and ease the transition of players coming over from Call of Duty.

What do they have to show for it? Halo 4 has dropped to #4 on the Xbox Live charts, only a little over 2 months after release. It took Halo Reach a year to drop to #4. Halo 3 still managed to finish a week as the #1 game on XBL 2 years after it's release, and didn't drop below #2 until Reach came out (that's 3 years).

But hey, Halo 4 sold a lot of copies. Mission accomplished, I guess."
__________________________________________________ _____________

edit*: here's Caboosian's explanation for Halo's multiplayer, referenced by -notthesun- above:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/16ujth/halo_is_officially_off_the_mlg_circuit_for_the/c7zkdmr

I don't think I could've ever put my thoughts into such a well-formatted paragraph like the dude above. Kudo's, bro.
Hishoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:36 PM   #2
Orange Man

Orng Man's Gamercard
For those that TL; DR, Halo 1 was DA BEST. Halo 2 was closest to 1 and had online support. Halo 3, while still a classic, made that game less competitive than the others. Reach: Bungie, screw the competitive, I have money. Reach: 343i, made patch to make the game better, good. Halo 4, made the competitive scene so upset, that they removed it form the MLG circuit.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:58 PM   #3
BiggD
Phantasmagorical Beast

BiggDope's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Emerald   Road Map - Silver   Achievement Guide - Silver   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   CABS Beta Tester   10,000 posts   Subscriber - Bronze   Micro Guide - Diamond   XBA Promoter   A+ Thread Award   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 11 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Man View Post
For those that TL; DR, Halo 1 was DA BEST. Halo 2 was closest to 1 and had online support. Halo 3, while still a classic, made that game less competitive than the others. Reach: Bungie, screw the competitive, I have money. Reach: 343i, made patch to make the game better, good. Halo 4, made the competitive scene so upset, that they removed it form the MLG circuit.
Seems spot on. Halo 1 and 2 were great. That's fact. Halo Reach and 4 weren't and aren't so great. That's also fact.

Thanks to XeroFox for the mighty signature <3

Borderlands 2 | XBA Blog
BiggD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:29 PM   #4
tweekzors

maxdoesitweLL's Gamercard
Competitiveness is and has been on a steady decline for quite some time now. Not just with Halo, but ALL console games are a joke in terms of catering to a competitive crowd. PC games hold the true competition, and even that has been on a decline for many years. Games now a days cater to the "pick it up and play" crowd. Some games should be difficult to learn and master. Look at Starcraft, WC3, Counter-Strike 1.5-1.6, Quake, GOW 1, and Halo 2. All of those games have a pretty ruthless learning curve. I'm sick of these games where you can just "hop in" and go 30-3 by yourself. Where's the reward and payoff in that?
tweekzors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:59 PM   #5
BiggD
Phantasmagorical Beast

BiggDope's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Emerald   Road Map - Silver   Achievement Guide - Silver   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   CABS Beta Tester   10,000 posts   Subscriber - Bronze   Micro Guide - Diamond   XBA Promoter   A+ Thread Award   Donator - Level 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweekzors View Post
PC games hold the true competition, and even that has been on a decline for many years. Games now a days cater to the "pick it up and play" crowd. I'm sick of these games where you can just "hop in" and go 30-3 by yourself. Where's the reward and payoff in that?
This is true. PC gamers and games will always be more competitive when compared to the console crowd.

Borderlands 2 | XBA Blog
Old 01-19-2013, 09:59 PM   #6
wo ai ni xx

wo ai ni xx's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweekzors View Post
Competitiveness is and has been on a steady decline for quite some time now. Not just with Halo, but ALL console games are a joke in terms of catering to a competitive crowd. PC games hold the true competition, and even that has been on a decline for many years. Games now a days cater to the "pick it up and play" crowd. Some games should be difficult to learn and master. Look at Starcraft, WC3, Counter-Strike 1.5-1.6, Quake, GOW 1, and Halo 2. All of those games have a pretty ruthless learning curve. I'm sick of these games where you can just "hop in" and go 30-3 by yourself. Where's the reward and payoff in that?
30-3 first time playing a game?

Would love to try that game...

All games have their own learning curves, newer games just have smaller curves than they used - that's what sells these days, and in mass numbers too.

Don't like it? Stop buying big brand games

...or stick to more niche games like in depth rpgs and avoid the blockbusters (Sacred 2, Dragon Age series, LOTR GOME, and others I cba mentioning or even some that you mentioned) that have a steeper learning curve than lots of games nowadays

Quote:
Originally Posted by The BiggD View Post
This is true. PC gamers and games will always be more competitive when compared to the console crowd.
This is more because of the complexity that can be had from the keyboard and mouse combo, things like your wow and wc3, and it's incomparable accuracy when it comes to FPS games

I don't get why people even compare it to consoles

Wo ai ni!! ^.^

<3

Last edited by wo ai ni xx; 01-19-2013 at 10:08 PM.
wo ai ni xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:12 PM   #7
BiggD
Phantasmagorical Beast

BiggDope's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by wo ai ni xx View Post
This is more because of the complexity that can be had from the keyboard and mouse combo, things like your wow and wc3, and it's incomparable accuracy when it comes to FPS games

I don't get why people even compare it to consoles
True. I have two friends who are PC gamers and they always try to argue with me that PC gaming is better for competitive reasoning and the overall experience. They claim that you can have a touch screen keyboard, 3 monitors active at once and more nonsense, which I fully understand is valid.

I just don't care for PC gaming. Keyboard & mouse, sitting in front of a monitor for hours strains to your eyes, and the dominance of MMORPG's don't interest me.

Sitting back in a nice comfy couch, with a smooth Xbox controller in my hands and earning satisfying achievements in my games just sits better for me.

Sorry to derail off topic from the OP.

Borderlands 2 | XBA Blog
Old 01-19-2013, 10:49 PM   #8
wo ai ni xx

wo ai ni xx's Gamercard
Quote:
True. I have two friends who are PC gamers and they always try to argue with me that PC gaming is better for competitive reasoning and the overall experience. They claim that you can have a touch screen keyboard, 3 monitors active at once and more nonsense, which I fully understand is valid.

I just don't care for PC gaming. Keyboard & mouse, sitting in front of a monitor for hours strains to your eyes, and the dominance of MMORPG's don't interest me.

Sitting back in a nice comfy couch, with a smooth Xbox controller in my hands and earning satisfying achievements in my games just sits better for me.

Sorry to derail off topic from the OP.
Screw OP, off topics always more fun :P

Don't get me wrong, I'd always choose xbox over PC - the social aspect of sitting next to someone and playing is far better than staring at a screen.

But when it comes to real competitiveness, just like in OP, complexity is where it's at.

The thrill from games like World Of Warcraft's pvp (as broken as it is right now) always gives me chills and is incomparable to any game I've ever played on xbox.

But back on OP, I move with the times, I enjoy the new Halo experience and welcome it.

I look forward to when the console catches up though, and gets a real game, a proper in depth MMO, or even an in depth shooter - that's when I'll shriek like the fangirl I am...and most likely never see daylight again :3

Wo ai ni!! ^.^

<3

Last edited by wo ai ni xx; 01-19-2013 at 10:55 PM.
wo ai ni xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:11 AM   #9
BiggD
Phantasmagorical Beast

BiggDope's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by wo ai ni xx View Post
Don't get me wrong, I'd always choose xbox over PC - the social aspect of sitting next to someone and playing is far better than staring at a screen.

But when it comes to real competitiveness, just like in OP, complexity is where it's at.

The thrill from games like World Of Warcraft's pvp (as broken as it is right now) always gives me chills and is incomparable to any game I've ever played on xbox.

But back on OP, I move with the times, I enjoy the new Halo experience and welcome it.

I look forward to when the console catches up though, and gets a real game, a proper in depth MMO, or even an in depth shooter - that's when I'll shriek like the fangirl I am...and most likely never see daylight again :3
Exactly. Console gaming is just much better. I've never cared for WoW but my friends think it's the "greatest game ever" hah...yeah right.

I tried to adapt to the changes Halo 4 brought, but I just couldn't get myself wrapped up in the Multiplayer with my friends as we once did back in the days of Halo's 2 & 3. I'm not saying the some of the changes are necessarily bad, it's just that I don't really like them.

Hopefully next-gen we'll see some more in-depth story shooters or RPG's (uncertain if MMO's will ever come to consoles, or even be successful if they do). I know for a fact that when Fallout 4 lands on the next-gen box, I'm going to severe any means of communication with the outside world and play that game for weeks. It's just that almost all shooters happen to cater to the community who prefer Multiplayer games now. Rarely do we see a good in-depth shooter.

Borderlands 2 | XBA Blog
Old 01-20-2013, 01:49 AM   #10
Ty-Rex
MORE LIKE JARDIN-BLOW!!!

Tylord824's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 1   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 3   CABS Beta Tester   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 2   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - * Clueless *   Subscriber - Bronze   Micro Guide - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 10 (more» ...)
Quote:
Hopefully next-gen we'll see some more in-depth story shooters or RPG's
Far Cry 3 really gives me some hope for stories in FPS. The first half of that game was phenomenal, and I really enjoyed the story for what it was, despite the fact that the writer was just trying to get out some sort of non-existent message in the subtext about violence.

I also have impossibly high standards for Fallout 4. New Vegas is probably one of my favorite games ever made, and I still play it some nights when I can't fall asleep. I've probably beaten in about 20 times through and rolled up like 50 different characters. This is all on console too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggD

I HAVE WRONG OPINIONS ON TITANFALL DON'T LISTEN TO ME

Ty-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:10 AM   #11
LickableLemons7

SublimeThugLife's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - DEG23   Micro Guide - Bronze   Staff Club - DeekBoy   Submit - Bronze   2,500 Posts   XBA Promoter   Staff Club - * Clueless *   Over Achiever - Bronze
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gheuh2 View Post
Far Cry 3 really gives me some hope for stories in FPS. The first half of that game was phenomenal, and I really enjoyed the story for what it was, despite the fact that the writer was just trying to get out some sort of non-existent message in the subtext about violence.
I was disappointed with how

Spoiler! (click here to reveal)

Butt the scene where you burned the weed farm was tight as shit, and that Damian Marley/Skrillex song that popped up was soooo fitting. I think Jason started getting crazy right around there, with the way he was shrieking "I LOVE THIS THING" as you sprayed your flamethrower at the red shirts. Maybe the writer was trying to say that wasting weed is bad and you go crazy as a result.

Edit: O shit, nothing Halo related in my post.

I still play Halo CE PC on a biweekly basis, game's so good and graphics are tighter than Freeza's ass

#ZombiesonIceFields

Last edited by LickableLemons7; 01-20-2013 at 02:16 AM.
LickableLemons7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:04 AM   #12
BiggD
Phantasmagorical Beast

BiggDope's Gamercard

Quote:

I also have impossibly high standards for Fallout 4. New Vegas is probably one of my favorite games ever made, and I still play it some nights when I can't fall asleep. I've probably beaten in about 20 times through and rolled up like 50 different characters. This is all on console too.
Won't spoil anything for our man, Lemons, but I completely agree with you. Far Cry 3 had a great story and open-world for an FPS. I feel like the theme of insanity wasn't present at all during the second half of the game and ending, but the overall story, island, dialogue and combat (stealth has never felt so rewarding) was really good.

Ghueh. Thank. You. For. Being. Awesome. I say that because I HATE how everyone claims Fallout 3 was better. Maybe it's because I played New Vegas before 3, but NV felt more RPG-ish, more open-ended, and more lively in the apocalyptic setting. Your stats are ridiculous, I only played with 3 character and didn't finish the story on the third.

But like I said, you're now the coolest forum member for sharing my love of Fallout New Vegas. Although Halo has a special spot in my heart, Fallout is the best game ever. Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickableLemons7 View Post
I was disappointed with how...

Butt the scene where you burned the weed farm was tight as shit, and that Damian Marley/Skrillex song that popped up was soooo fitting. I think Jason started getting crazy right around there, with the way he was shrieking "I LOVE THIS THING" as you sprayed your flamethrower at the red shirts. Maybe the writer was trying to say that wasting weed is bad and you go crazy as a result.
Enjoy the second part of the game, as it has some great moments that I really enjoyed experiencing. I agree with you, that I...

Far Cry 3 was definitely a huge surprise fin terms for what it offered...and to believe I almost decided to pass up on it. Hats off to Ubisoft. They did a great job with it. It's tied with Max Payne as one of my all time newly-released favorite games.

Oh, so that this doesn't end up getting moved to the' Off Topic Forums' , Halo 4 is really boring now. But Spartan Ops will be fun on Monday and I'm excited for Landfall and Skyline from Majestic next month.

Borderlands 2 | XBA Blog
Old 01-20-2013, 03:37 AM   #13
DarkReign2021
Banned User

DarkReign2021's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
I think I've figured why so many people spend so much time bitching about games and their steady decline in competition. Too many people are focused on Multiplayer gaming. And there's an understandable reason why, which you can see explained in this tree:

1. Gamers pay money for videogames. Simple enough
2. As games get more expensive, people expect more out of their games.
3. Multiplayer Gaming adds to replayability.
4. People purchase Multiplayer-centered games to justify $60 purchase.
5. Developers focus less on Single Player and more on multiplayer to bolster potential buyers.
6. Single Player Gaming is now dead.
7. Market becomes oversaturated with multiplayer games.
8. Creativity in the industry flounders because people refuse to buy anything they're not familiar with, so no new titles can come to succeed.
9. People start to bitch about games never innovating and becoming repetitive.
10. Big name titles bring innovation and change to their sequels.
11. People bitch about how it's different and doesn't play exactly like the game they ALREADY FUCKING OWN.
12. People make posts on Forums bitching about how a game series is beginning to decline.

Moving into the future, these are my hopes:

13. Developers get tired of hearing people bitch about how their MP isn't good enough. (They also get fed up with the stupid gamers that are too lazy or incapable of taking a few hours to learn a couple features that developers would otherwise be forced to streamline for.)
14. They eliminate large multiplayer components, saving both development time and money.
15. They take advantage of cheaper development costs to bolster Campaign development and worthwhile add-on content.
16. Videogames as a whole revert back to the glory days when multiplayer was a 2-4 player co-op game.
17. Videogaming is saved.

I think the point my post is getting at is that it's all of your fucking faults. Every time a developer does something, a large group of people are going to bitch about it. Every time something changes, people bitch about it being different. Every time they release a game too much like another game, they bitch about it being a knock-off clone and repetitive. Every time something in a game takes time to get the hang of, people complain that it needs to be made simpler so it can be spoon-fed to them like a fucking baby.

Any of you that played videogames back in the days of the NES, SNES, and even 64/PS1 days, you know this. Videogames were fucking hard. They took time, they took effort, they took skill. And you know what else? Most of them didn't have multiplayer. So the fact that so many people have become dependent on a mindless, brainless game mode where you shoot each other to death is pretty fucking pathetic and something needs to change or the industry is going to die out pretty fucking fast. Than god for games like Skyrim, Fallout, and Dishonored (amusing it's all Bethesda) actually trying to keep the industry alive with fresh and ambitious ideas. More games need to aspire to be like these titles. Titles like Tomb Raider and Mass Effect and Assassin's Creed where multiplayer not only isn't needed, it isn't wanted.
DarkReign2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:17 AM   #14
xxdiamondxxinfernoxx

diamondxinferno's Gamercard
Halo 1 was mindblowing but halo 2 still surpasses it due to the addition of online play and more exciting campaign ( my opinion, relax) and halo 3 was the game i played the most. I love the halo series so much that i actually love halo 4. I look at the positives instead of the negatives unlike 99% of the world!
xxdiamondxxinfernoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:38 AM   #15
BiggD
Phantasmagorical Beast

BiggDope's Gamercard

What I'm about to do is annoying because I hate breaking down quotes and even though I agree with most of your points and I don't need to do this, I just wanna throw in my two cents, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkReign2021 View Post
2. As games get more expensive, people expect more out of their games.
4. People purchase Multiplayer-centered games to justify $60 purchase.
Personally, I have never once tried to justify the price of a video game. If the game looks good, I am willing to spend the $60 on it. I don't make purchases based off what friends buy, based off achievement lists, or based on the Multiplayer portion. I buy what I like and I only 'expect more' from the Single Player portion of games in terms of length or lore/background, depending on what I'm playing.

Quote:
7. Market becomes oversaturated with multiplayer games.
Yes it has. It's a rarity to find a strong Single Player game these days. That's why Far Cry, Max Payne 3, Hitman: Absolution, and Dishonored are amazing games that have been overlooked by many gamers for more 'popular' titles like Medal of Honor, Call of Duty, and any other generic FPS titles.

Quote:
8. Creativity in the industry flounders because people refuse to buy anything they're not familiar with, so no new titles can come to succeed.
9. People start to bitch about games never innovating and becoming repetitive.
10. Big name titles bring innovation and change to their sequels.
I actually read an article today on how developers are 'scared' to take big risks when making new games:

"Developers are afraid of taking leaps of faith, and so instead of creating a new IP, they add a number to the end of a game they already have, improving little to nothing, and know they will make money because the majority of gamers do not like change."

Do I agree with this? Sure, but adding sequels never hurt nobody.

Quote:
11. People bitch about how it's different and doesn't play exactly like the game they ALREADY FUCKING OWN.
12. People make posts on Forums bitching about how a game series is beginning to decline.
I believe you are subtly trying to aim these points at a certain someone

Quote:
13. Developers get tired of hearing people bitch about how their MP isn't good enough.
14. They eliminate large multiplayer components, saving both development time and money.
16. Videogames as a whole revert back to the glory days when multiplayer was a 2-4 player co-op game.
More games need to focus on a 15+ hour Story, while having less of an emphasis on Multiplayer. This needs to be taken into consideration considering the fact that developers try to add Multiplayer components to Single Player based games such as Assassin's Creed and Tomb Raider which causes the fans of said games to become upset or mad with the developer. Don't believe me? Look at the Tomb Raider achievement list on the Home Page and check out the comments...lol. It's a mad house over there.

Quote:
Any of you that played videogames back in the days of the NES, SNES, and even 64/PS1 days, you know this. Videogames were fucking hard. They took time, they took effort, they took skill. And you know what else? Most of them didn't have multiplayer. So the fact that so many people have become dependent on a mindless, brainless game mode where you shoot each other to death is pretty fucking pathetic and something needs to change or the industry is going to die out pretty fucking fast. Than god for games like Skyrim, Fallout, and Dishonored (amusing it's all Bethesda) actually trying to keep the industry alive with fresh and ambitious ideas. More games need to aspire to be like these titles. Titles like Tomb Raider and Mass Effect and Assassin's Creed where multiplayer not only isn't needed, it isn't wanted.
I'll keep it short: Bethesda and Rockstar are my all time favorite developers. Why? Because they know how to take risks when necessary and create worlds within games that can keep the audience intrigued for hours upon end. Like I've said before, I've outgrown my days of gaming online, and although I will spend a few hours a week online gaming solo or with some buddies, I'd rather much prefer a strong Single Player game with lots of cutscenes, dialogue, replayability and of course, a strong achievement list.

Okay, I'm done.

Borderlands 2 | XBA Blog

Last edited by BiggD; 01-20-2013 at 05:19 AM.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:41 AM   #16
Ty-Rex
MORE LIKE JARDIN-BLOW!!!

Tylord824's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 1   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 3   CABS Beta Tester   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 2   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - * Clueless *   Subscriber - Bronze   Micro Guide - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   1,000 Posts
I'm looking forward to new Spartan Ops next week.

Quote:

Old 01-20-2013, 05:01 AM   #17
Hishoa

Quote:
What I'm about to do is ... breaking down quotes ... I don't need to do this, I just wanna throw in my two cents, please.
i'm so proud
Old 01-20-2013, 05:15 AM   #18
BiggD
Phantasmagorical Beast

BiggDope's Gamercard

Quote:
I'm looking forward to new Spartan Ops next week.

Most Halo fans hated Reach and wanted Halo 4 to play like 3 did. They did some things right and some wrong, but the major thing they got wrong was trying to copy CoD's formula and get more mainstream appeal.

It's always been the multiplayer that made the game as big as it was. You need to wake up and realize this. I'd bet 9/10 people don't care at all about the story or the extended universe and have no idea what the hell happened at the end of Halo 4 aside from the obvious.
Hey, friend. Spartan Ops is gonna be killer. Let's knock some chapters out maybe if you're down.

Fallout is awesome.

I bolded two of your quotes because it's the sad truth and I'm REALLY glad that someone finally said it other than me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hishoa View Post
i'm so proud
I have finally made Hishoa proud.

Borderlands 2 | XBA Blog
Old 01-20-2013, 05:41 AM   #19
Ty-Rex
MORE LIKE JARDIN-BLOW!!!

Tylord824's Gamercard

Quote:
Hey, friend. Spartan Ops is gonna be killer. Let's knock some chapters out maybe if you're down.
Yeah we should do that and get lemons too and talk about weights and how to lift them up.

Also next week they have the forge playlist up so maybe that will breath some life into the game. Grifball the week after that will be fun 4 sho.
Quote:

Old 01-20-2013, 06:23 AM   #20
BiggD
Phantasmagorical Beast

BiggDope's Gamercard

Quote:
Yeah we should do that and get lemons too and talk about weights and how to lift them up.

Also next week they have the forge playlist up so maybe that will breath some life into the game. Grifball the week after that will be fun 4 sho.
Lemons if you're reading this, join us in an excellent adventure this week to SpartanOps land.

The Forge-test playlist might be fun. Hopefully some of the maps make it into Matchmaking down the road. Team Doubles the week after Grifbal too - oh my god, yes. The end of January is glorious for Halo...kinda.

Borderlands 2 | XBA Blog
Old 01-20-2013, 06:58 AM   #21
tweekzors

maxdoesitweLL's Gamercard
Sorry if I seemed like a complainer, but my main point was to just point out that competitive aspects of games are diminishing . I love video games and have since the age of 5. I'm an avid xbox gamer now and I left the PC life long ago haha. Consoles offer a much more affordable and easier approach to gaming without having to spend countless dollars on upgrades. I left the PC gaming because my friends did. Video games are now a social commodity more than ever before and contrary to past beliefs bring people closer and more together than before. But as for competitiveness, it's almost mandatory in a sense for video games to survive. Think about it, high scores, speed-runs, ranks, split-screen add a deeper level and replay-ability to video games. In a simple sense the competition for video games is still there, but what has changed are the "skill-ceilings" for games. Some games involve such a level of skill that you can develop a damn sixth sense for it. Xbox can have games that allow this limitless skill ceiling, but developers I guess aren't pushing for that kind of game. But hey, who am I kidding, the casual/average gamer is the target group, and their demographic spends the most dollars.

/endrant
tweekzors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:06 AM   #22
LickableLemons7

SublimeThugLife's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - DEG23   Micro Guide - Bronze   Staff Club - DeekBoy   Submit - Bronze   2,500 Posts   XBA Promoter   Staff Club - * Clueless *   Over Achiever - Bronze
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
Quote:
Lemons if you're reading this, join us in an excellent adventure this week to SpartanOps land.
I 'aint got no Xbox live gold because I'm a po' ol' maaaaan, pickin' nickels of da streets and doin' da best I caaaaan

Quote:
This will never happen because a game like Halo doesn't thrive on its single player like you think it does. It never has. It's always been the multiplayer that made the game as big as it was. You need to wake up and realize this. I'd bet 9/10 people don't care at all about the story or the extended universe and have no idea what the hell happened at the end of Halo 4 aside from the obvious.
Out of the 31 people in my friends list, I believe 14 have played Halo 4. Not too sure, but it should be around there, I'm not going back to check.

Out of those 14 people in my friends list, 4 have completed the campaign. Everyone else played one or two missions.

And out of those 4 people, 1 has completed the campaign solo legendary.

Life sucks when you have friends who don't care for Halo lore
Old 01-20-2013, 03:15 PM   #23
benjamouth

the Woodmeister's Gamercard

Awards Showcase NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Sounds like a lot of bitching from someone who used to be good at Halo.

Only Halo game I've played much online is 4. Went 30 and 2 the other day, 20 people killed without dying.

Time for you old boys to move over for the new blood !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopBadge View Post
What you people need to understand is that these guides are written by people not magic robots.
benjamouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:25 PM   #24
BiggD
Phantasmagorical Beast

BiggDope's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickableLemons7 View Post
I 'aint got no Xbox live gold because I'm a po' ol' maaaaan, pickin' nickels of da streets and doin' da best I caaaaan

Out of the 31 people in my friends list, I believe 14 have played Halo 4. Not too sure, but it should be around there, I'm not going back to check. Out of those 14 people in my friends list, 4 have completed the campaign. Everyone else played one or two missions. And out of those 4 people, 1 has completed the campaign solo legendary.

Life sucks when you have friends who don't care for Halo lore.
Dang, nabbit! We will fight harder in your absence.

NONE of the people who have played Halo on my friend's list know anything about the lore. It's a shame that they're missing out.

Borderlands 2 | XBA Blog
Old 01-21-2013, 12:32 AM   #25
Hishoa

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamouth View Post
Sounds like a lot of bitching from someone who used to be good at Halo.

Only Halo game I've played much online is 4. Went 30 and 2 the other day, 20 people killed without dying.

Time for you old boys to move over for the new blood !!!
Just because a player can go 30-2 doesn't mean the competitiveness of the game is there. Several high-profile gamers have come out and completely talked down about Halo 4's competitive aspect; random (and plentiful) ordinance drops, instant respawns and custom loadouts nearly diminished any core Halo experience that was preserved in earlier titles.

tl;dr being good at the multiplayer doesn't mean the multiplayer is good
Old 01-21-2013, 05:15 AM   #26
cab0218

cab0218's Gamercard
Too many games are changing. Just look at Gears Of War Judgement.

cab0218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:37 AM   #27
CIF

BloodngunsMrphy's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hishoa View Post
Weapon bloom slowed kill times to a grind and made weapons inaccurate and random, giving worse players a better chance in firefights.
Worse players will generally fire a gun like a madman and therefore lose accuracy. That's the whole point of reticule bloom. Learn the timing, keep cool, and you'll usually win 1v1.
Quote:
The utility weapon was no longer reliable; new players didn't have to worry about being taken down so often.
Doesn't matter if this is about the DMR or AR, it's wrong either way. Controlled bursts from AR + pistol headshot worked just as well as the DMR, given somewhat close range of course. The DMR could more easily be argued as the "default" in MP, too.

I can see where the OP is coming from, but games change. I'm ok with some games having small learning curves - not everything needs to.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:43 PM   #28
Hishoa

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIF View Post
Worse players will generally fire a gun like a madman and therefore lose accuracy. That's the whole point of reticule bloom. Learn the timing, keep cool, and you'll usually win 1v1.
Personally, more often than not, I'd win more 1v1 DMR duels by spamming the trigger. With what Halo: Reach's aim-assist and bullet magnetism, this seems to hold true for most close-mid encounters.