PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Action > Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Subscribe    Donate

Old 01-22-2013, 06:22 PM   #1
bradengunn

BRAD3N GUNN's Gamercard
Demo thoughts

I LOVED THIS DEMO SO MUCH

After watching the trailers for this I have to admit that I was sceptical about the game because I am a huge fan of the Metal Gear series and also hack and slash games, but could not see a combination of both turning out good despite having an amazing developer.

Thankfully I was completely wrong, this game may be my new favourite hack and slash. The combat is fast, furious and more importantly fun. I also quite like the blade mode, which makes you feel like a complete badass.

I skipped all cut scenes to avoid spoilers so I can't really comment on how good this is as a Metal Gear title yet, but I was pleased that cardboard boxes, codec conversations and alert phase exclamation marks all feature in the demo.

9.5/10

bradengunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:44 PM   #2
Dark Anaconda

Kojima Productions + Platinum Games = automaticly Epic Win ,nuff said.

Last edited by Dark Anaconda; 01-22-2013 at 07:47 PM.
Dark Anaconda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:11 PM   #3
Gageamatron

gageamatron's Gamercard
Yeah this game really does a good job of making you feel badass. I did have trouble with parry however, couldn't get it to work very well.

Overall this might be a buy for me.

Gageamatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:30 PM   #4
Doopliss SWE

doopliss swe's Gamercard
The only thing that bothered me about the demo was the lack of a movelist, I don't like trying to find moves by myself, especially not when I have no idea what kind of inputs I should be looking for.
Doopliss SWE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:48 PM   #5
Gageamatron

gageamatron's Gamercard
I found a somewhat hidden C. Box on the tutorial. Pretty funny to mess around with. I also noticed a ninja cat on the beach when you first start that can't be killed.

Then I ran into my first glitch, a Gecko that couldn't be locked-on to nor killed.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:55 PM   #6
The Duke of Darkness

The Allslayer's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Disappointing not gonna pre order. I'll watch some gameplay and see if that changes my mind but based on the demo awful. This is what stood out.

1. The tutorial all it does is tell you how to use blade mode. 2. No block or evade. 3. Enemies, where are they all? 4. Moveset, despite messing around with button inputs I couldn't find any kind of moveset sure they look different but they don't appear to do anything other than do damage. 5. Cheapass boss that does the same cheapass attack over and over again.

I'm sure someone described this as balls to the wall action. All I saw was cutscene, walk forwards, cutscene, fight 3 dudes, cutscene, walk forwards, unskipable conversation, fight 15 or so enemies, cutscene, boss.

Ranking system looks like a joke. I did the first fight using different combos and a fast time without taking damage (which I'm not sure even factors into the ranking) and got a B. Did it again used blade mode sliced dude up pressed B to instantly refill bar, repeat on other 2 guys and got an S.
The Duke of Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:03 AM   #7
Lothra

Lothra's Gamercard
Pretty much turned out to be exactly what i thought it would be when it was first announced, a very sub-par Metal Gear game, will not be buying it, will wait for MGS:GZ and The Phantom Pain instead.
Lothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:04 AM   #8
Purge

Send a message via AIM to Purge Send a message via MSN to Purge Send a message via Skype™ to Purge

Davy Allan's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Green Thumb - Bronze   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Road Map - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Referrals - Bronze   2,500 Posts   Submit - Silver   SOTF Runner Up   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Donator - Level 1   Word of Mouth
Total Awards: 11 (more» ...)
Watched footage of the demo when ZoE came out. Doesn't look great. Looks fun though.
It's like they're all still there. You feel it too, don't you?

Purge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:11 AM   #9
Angrym0nkey

An9rYM0Nk3y 238's Gamercard
I really enjoyed the demo, Raiden seems like an absolute badass, blade mode took some getting use to, but I got the gist of it on a second play through.

The only real gripe I have against it is that I wish there was a simple block button, the parry system can be hit or miss at time, kinda wish it was more like ninja gaiden 2's counter system hold LT to block and counter with X once the sword makes contact, don't really like clicking in the thumb stick especially when it can be the difference between being hit or not.

Overall I'm really looking foward to this game and will definitely be picking this one up
Old 01-23-2013, 08:36 AM   #10
SmS

Send a message via Skype™ to SmS

S1mmas's Gamercard
I just hope there wont be so many cut-scenes like in msg4 it was one of very few games that i started to skip movies

SmS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:29 AM   #11
lifetimegamer

ll Eldave0 ll's Gamercard
Can't say I enjoyed my first playthrough of it (DmC seems much more fluid and frantic) but it has really grown on me over subsequent playthroughs now I've become familiar with the gameplay mechanics:

Pros
+ Cutscenes, Codec segments and easter eggs make it feel like a proper MG spinoff.
+ Nice presentation
+ Gameplay is really satisfying when you get used to it and start stringing combos together. Blade mode is also very cool.

Cons
- Enemy AI seems moronic, making stealth sequences a bit flat and too easy
- Game really needs a block button. Parry works fine but I would prefer a proper block/evade system

Otherwise the game seems great and will probably end up being a day-one purchase. <3 P+ Games
lifetimegamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:35 AM   #12
The Duke of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrym0nkey View Post
I really enjoyed the demo, Raiden seems like an absolute badass, blade mode took some getting use to, but I got the gist of it on a second play through.

The only real gripe I have against it is that I wish there was a simple block button, the parry system can be hit or miss at time, kinda wish it was more like ninja gaiden 2's counter system hold LT to block and counter with X once the sword makes contact, don't really like clicking in the thumb stick especially when it can be the difference between being hit or not.

Overall I'm really looking foward to this game and will definitely be picking this one up
You don't click the stick in, you push it towards the enemy that you want to parry.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:01 PM   #13
HDresden

VGM 007's Gamercard
can't say I was very impressed. It looked nice and the framerate seemed nice & smooth, but the combat seemed very weak. No block or evade? That's a terrible choice for a hack'n'slash game. I'm hoping those options open up as upgrades, but that is still something that should be available from the start.

The combat also felt stale (mash a couple buttons, go into blade mode) considering DMC just came out & had superb combat, with a wealth of options & variety to take on the enemies.

I'm not going to condemn the game based on a very short demo, but I'm going to need to see plenty of positive reviews for me to drop $60 on this.

BTW, did anyone feel the camera was very loose & a bit wonky during blade mode? Maybe my analog stick is off, but I found the camera was very prone to flying all around with just the smallest touch.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:41 PM   #14
Angrym0nkey

An9rYM0Nk3y 238's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke of Darkness View Post
You don't click the stick in, you push it towards the enemy that you want to parry.
Wow I feel like an idiot now

thanks for clearing that up form me, that makes things slightly better
Old 01-23-2013, 06:36 PM   #15
The Bum-Mobile

Mr Shenanigans's Gamercard
I've got it pre-ordered (Obligatory Metal Gear-game pre-order) and enjoyed the demo quite a bit. Two things though. One, why not have a consistent block button? Jesus Christ, I can't stress how annoying this is and how little sense it makes. You can only block just as you're about to get hit? You can't block as you see an enemy swinging it has to be the very moment. Stupid as hell. Plus I don't think there should be any stealth whatsoever. There's no real stealth system, and why even put it in when the focus is clearly action?

The Bum-Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:38 PM   #16
Dexter010

Claptrap NL's Gamercard
I haven't played the demo, but is the whole game just hack'n'slash?
Dexter010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:26 PM   #17
ginge88isfun

Send a message via Skype™ to ginge88isfun

Ginge88isfun's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Over Achiever - Bronze   XBA Promoter
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
After playing this, I can honestly say I won't be purchasing this game.

Controls are buggy and the thought of it been nothing more than a blade slashing game puts me right off.
ginge88isfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:34 PM   #18
Suki

i havent played a mgs solid game for many many years so i tried the demo and it has really really changed for the worst imo, i am playing DMC at the moment and this felt just awfull and really quite boring compared to DMC. Maybe im wrong and i hope i am and the reviews are good becasue then ill give it another go but i now wait for reviews.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:07 PM   #19
JSP 16

Send a message via MSN to JSP 16

JSP The Great 1's Gamercard
i can't parry any god damn attacks to save my life
Old 01-24-2013, 12:07 AM   #20
The Duke of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrym0nkey View Post
Wow I feel like an idiot now

thanks for clearing that up form me, that makes things slightly better
Lol no prob, took me awhile to work it out.

If only there was some kind of tutorial that explained how to play the game...
Old 01-24-2013, 12:22 AM   #21
Darkforce412

darkforce412's Gamercard
kinda feels like Ninja Gaiden but alot cooler.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:53 AM   #22
Gageamatron

gageamatron's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDresden View Post
can't say I was very impressed. It looked nice and the framerate seemed nice & smooth, but the combat seemed very weak. No block or evade? That's a terrible choice for a hack'n'slash game. I'm hoping those options open up as upgrades, but that is still something that should be available from the start.

The combat also felt stale (mash a couple buttons, go into blade mode) considering DMC just came out & had superb combat, with a wealth of options & variety to take on the enemies.

I'm not going to condemn the game based on a very short demo, but I'm going to need to see plenty of positive reviews for me to drop $60 on this.

BTW, did anyone feel the camera was very loose & a bit wonky during blade mode? Maybe my analog stick is off, but I found the camera was very prone to flying all around with just the smallest touch.

Pressing X+A will make raiden jump backwards while swinging the sword, I'm pretty sure this is the game's evade. I had to find this out while randomly searching online. Only seems to work when you are locked on which I didn't realize you could do until a few playthroughs later either.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:10 AM   #23
ShOcKsTa

DMG Messiah's Gamercard
I love what they did with this, I was "meh" when it was announced but now I'm in love with it.

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/@shocksta360
ShOcKsTa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:31 AM   #24
DDShadow88

ddshadow88's Gamercard
Played through the demo a few times now, often restarting fights repeatedly to try different things. Some of my observations:

Pros

- Frame rate is marvelous, at least from what I could tell from playing the demo. Granted, the battles in the demo weren't exactly crowded with participants, so I'm interested to see how the frame rate gets when things are truly hectic on-screen.

- Assassinating Gekkos never gets old. Though it's a little odd how it's even possible to sneak up on a machine that is supposed to have 360 degree situational awareness.

- Combat is very stylish. I especially love the Rebellion-esque Million Stab move that Raiden does while holding the sword with his foot.

- Blade mode is so much fun. I would repeat battles just to kill enemies in different ways.

- The cutscene direction, dialogue and voice work are excellent, though I'm not that surprised since it was Kojima's team that handled that side of the game.

- Visuals and sound are superb. Enemies clearly indicate their intentions so you're not cheap shotted and everything is animated well. Raiden and his attacks sound as deadly as they look.

- Controls are solid and responsive (with the exception of Parry).

Cons

- Combo system seems very shallow. I've only discovered maybe a half dozen different variations, though I'm hoping the upgrade system in the game offers you more combos to purchase. It's also likely that the other weapons you can acquire in the game have their own combos, so switching between them (hopefully in real time) would deepen the combat significantly. Will need the full game to know for sure.

- The block/parry button sucks every d*** that has ever existed. It's far too finicky.

- A few minor visual hiccups such as Raiden standing in the air after performing a Zandatsu on an enemy in the air and phasing into large enemies like Gekkos during blade mode, making it difficult to perform a Zandatsu.

- Camera can be wonky, though this flaw is offset somewhat by the lock-on button and the auto-readjust.
DDShadow88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:52 PM   #25
Aoi84

aoi84's Gamercard
I was all hype to play this demo and to pre-order this, but after the demo, forget it. There's just so much wrong here, and I don't know if it's the demo or lack of upgrades, but it's shit.

Pros:
-It looks cool, sure.
-The cutscenes were superb.
-Ripping the fluid spiney things is satisfying and awesome.

Cons:
-Just gonna say it now, that parry system is ass. I finally figured out how it worked and when to do it, and it's still bad. Who makes the parry button your attack button? Like seriously, is there not enough buttons for a parry, block, or evade?
-Compounding this, he's supposed to be a new model cyborg, doesn't feel like it. I'm not a sup'd up new model cyborg but I know how to dive away or roll, if I'm feeling crazy I may even hold a sword still to block, iono.
-Figure out parry, then figure out the 6 grenades at your feet. Yeah, the lesser cyborgs trolling around you don't care about them, they're fine with grenades. Sup'd up Raiden? Hell no, they mess him up.
-Combos? I know there's a mash X and a mash Y with like maybe one mash between the two that I can figure out. Running+Y does the low sweep move. That's it. Mash and pray. You can speculate that he's just not upgraded but I seriously doubt that his moveset, at this point in the game, consists of 4 attacks just because he's not upgraded yet.
-The stealth is a joke. Yeah, it's cool doing a Yoshimitsu falling assassination and stuff, but the game obviously isn't meant for the genre. Raiden had better radar as a human, in MGS2. It had cones and fields, not red dots which may or may not see you.
-Platforming is bad. His jump is probably one of the weakest jumps I've encountered in years. Like, if you took Simon Belmont, made him a robot, that'd be close. No double jump, no wall run, no ledge hanging, no sense of gravity. It's just float up a second, float down. I wouldn't care, cept there seems to be jumping needed in the game.
-Encountered glitching mooing mechs. One got stuck in the scenery and just moo'd, and moo'd, and moo'd, and moo'd.
-Speaking of, I love how the giant mechs moo.
-So many cutscenes. I know it's Kojima, but really? Can't just have a good long one before and after the mission? When I stopped for the codec sound, I seriously got chills up my spine like "I remember that sound, that means talking..."
-Boss was just a big case of frustrating. Cool and all, but I like how the full on robot AI calls for human-esque cyborgs to back him up. If a robot told me to keep some cyborg ninja busy while he chills on a wall talking smack, it gots another thing coming.
-Parry really broke down here. It's cool that they highlight an enemy telegraph with orange, so I know to stop pushing buttons, sit there and get ready to hope the parry input works. Him though, he'll be orange for a good 15sec before the attack comes out, the next attack though, only be orange for a few frames. Even when you do get a parry, he flies back out of range, then winds up another attack, parry that, he flies out of range and winds up, attempt to parry that, die.

Sorry if I'm long winded, but just a huge let down. A proper tutorial and move list would have been nice, might have earned them a good $60 from me. Guess it's off my list and I'll just keep an eye on it, or try the demo some other time.

Last edited by Aoi84; 01-24-2013 at 02:06 PM.
Aoi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:53 PM   #26
Echilion

The offensive portion of the game feels great and satisfying.

The defensive side, not so much. It feels awkward at the moment for reasons already stated in this thread.

Big thanks to Gackt!
Echilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:04 PM   #27
shinobigarth

Send a message via Skype™ to shinobigarth

ShinobiGarth's Gamercard

holy butts, the demo gave me such a massive boner its not even funny. so awesome how you can slice any object at any angle, however the other side to this is the massive memory strain this puts on the console, therefore the pieces you just cut off unrealistically disappearing in 5 seconds. man how awesome this would be as a next gen launch title where they had about 8 times the memory to play with.

thought on a critical side i will say the evade\parry system seems to be non existent, unless i just didnt pick up on it.

Last edited by shinobigarth; 01-24-2013 at 10:17 PM.
shinobigarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:54 AM   #28
Zenth Forbias

Send a message via AIM to Zenth Forbias

Rider Kibuto's Gamercard
Ugh. This demo was a massive disappointment for me. I didn't plan on purchasing this game, but the demo solidified that. Like most people, I didn't get the parry system down until the 10th or so time fighting the boss mech dog thing.

The Blade Mode just seem clunky. The camera on it is way too slow. I sat there hitting the mechs and they somehow got behind me and I'd end up wasting whatever left of the timer trying to turn around to hit.

Also, Who the hell likes Raiden? Ugh. Give me a game about Meryl over a game about Raiden. :/

Zenth Forbias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:54 AM   #29
d0ct0rscarecr0w

d0ct0rscarecr0w's Gamercard

Here are my demo thoughts...

I waited all day on the 23rd for the demo keeping my Xbox downstairs to check for it but it never showed up!

Do you have to be gold or something to get it?

At this point it would be a major pain it bring it back downstairs so I'm just going to wait for the game.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:34 PM   #30
demonizer_andy

demonizer andy's Gamercard
downloaded the demo, played the demo, deleted the demo, wont be buying the game, to me it felt like a a cheap ninja gaiden clone, the graphics looked dated, didnt find the combat satisfying, if found in a bargain bin then maybe il pick it up one day, but just felt very average especially for a metal gear game spin off or not,this should of ran alongside mgs4 or from mgs2 to 4 so you saw raidens story unfold, that or what everyone wanted and a frank jaeger spin off that was cinematic, graphically amazing and the combat technically sound, big disappointment, n thats saying alot to say i wasnt expecting much in the first place
demonizer_andy is offline   Reply With Quote