Subscribe    Donate

Old 02-15-2011, 07:14 PM   #1
FSparacino4

im boomheadshot's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Dead Space 2 FAQ Thread

Dead Space 2 FAQ

Welcome to the Dead Space 2 Frequently Asked Question thread. If a question you have isn't answered here, please feel free to post it and I, or the other members on this board, will answer it and it will be added to the FAQ for future reference. This is an attempt to reduce the clutter on the Dead Space 2 boards, which right now are a mess of repeated questions. The questions below have been categorized to allow you to easily find the answers you are looking for.

SPECIAL THANKS goes to Asturgis for helping me keep this thread updated with the latest info. FAQs for the Severed DLC will be added upon its release.

General & New Game + Questions

Am I missing out on any of the story if I play this before Dead Space 1?

There is a good recap of what happened in the first game in the main menu by selecting 'Previously on Dead Space'. However, if you play this before the first one, do know that some of the tension and scare factor will be absent, specifically your return to the Ishimura.

What should I do if I like the bonus on a suit that has less than optimal armor and inventory space?

You should go ahead and equip that suit. Once you wear a suit that has the maximum 25% armor and 25% inventory slots, equipping a suit with less armor and inventory space than this will keep the maximum bonuses. So you can go ahead and wear any suit which bonus you like best!

Is there any way to check my progress on achievements (i.e. Epic Dismemberment)?

Hit during the game, and select the 'achievements' option. This will list all of your achievements and will provide your progression for those involving counters.

I beat the game and the option for New Game + is still greyed out. What did I do wrong?

After beating the game and the message pops up telling you that Hardcore difficulty has been unlocked, you are given the option to save your cleared game. You mistakenly clicked No, but do not fret as there is an easy fix. Load your last save (it won't be far before the final boss) and replay through to the end, making sure you save your cleared game this time around.

Is it possible to do a New Game + on Hardcore?

No. New Game + is only available for Casual - Zealot. You are required to start from scratch for your Hardcore playthrough.

If I miss any schematics, do I need to do another playthrough in order to buy that respective item in the store?

No, another playthrough to pick up the missed schematic is not necessary. If you miss any schematics, the item will be available to purchase from stores several chapters later as opposed to the store immediately after finding it.

What exactly carries over into a New Game + playthrough?

Most of your gear (i.e. all weapons and most suits) will carry over into a New Game +. However, there is a bug that can cause some previously purchased suits to disappear from your safe and you will need to repurchase these if you choose to use the suits that are missing. SEE Glitches Section for more info. Any inventory that you had at the end of your last game (i.e. health packs, stasis packs and ammo) will be available to you at the start. Once you reach the first store, you will automatically wear the RIG you had on at the end of your last game, most likely the Advanced Suit. Your achievement progress also carries over in a New Game +.

What Suit Schematics become available in a New Game +?

Elite Engineering Suit: 25% armor, 25 inventory slots & 15% extra health with med. packs. In Chapter 1, after the decompression window tutorial, you will enter a room with a save station and store. You will see this schematic on the bench directly in front of you.

Elite Vintage Suit: 25% armor, 25 inventory slots & 15% store discount. After defeating your first Brute in the Transport Hub in Chapter 6, you will see the schematic along the wall under a mannequin wearing the original vintage suit.

Elite Security Suit: 25% armor, 25 inventory slots & 15% damage to Javelin Gun. In Chapter 9, before getting on the tram and descending to pick up Ellie and Stross, look over the railing and you will see the schematic.

Elite Advanced Suit: 25% armor, 25 inventory slots, 10% damage to ALL weapons & 15% stasis duration. On Chapter 11, after taking the large lift up where you get attacked by a large group of Slashers, instead of exiting the elevator, turn around and you should see the schematic over the edge of the elevator. Use kinesis to grab the schematic.

DLC & Extra Content Questions

Do I get anything for beating the game on specific difficulties?

Beating the game for the first time, regardless of the difficulty level will give you the Riot Security Suit (25% armor, 25 invetory slots & 10% Contact Beam Damage). Beating the game on Zealot gives you the Arctic Security Suit (25% armor, 25 inventory slots & 10% Flame-thrower damage). Beating the game on Hardcore gives you the Foam Finger Gun and the Soldier Suit (25% armor, 25 inventory slots & 10% Seeker Rifle damage).

What suits & weapons do you get with each DLC Pack, the Collector's Edition and Ignition?

Martial Law Pack DLC

EarthGov Security Suit: 5% damage to Detonator, Seeker Rifle, Pulse Rifle
EarthGov Pulse Rifle: 5% alt-fire damage & 10 % reload speed
EarthGov Seeker Rifle: 5% damage & 5% firing speed
EarthGov Detonator: 5% damage & 5% firing speed

Bloody Vintage Suit: 5% damage to Flamethrower, Javelin Gun, Force Gun
Bloody Flamethrower: 5% damage & 10% reload speed
Bloody Javelin Gun: 5% alt-fire damage & 5% reload speed
Bloody Force Gun: 5% alt-fire damage & 5% firing speed

Supernova Pack DLC

Forged Engineering Suit: 15% medpack bonus
Forged Plasma Cutter: 10% damage & 5% reload speed
Forged Line Gun: 5% firing speed & 10% alt-fire damage
Forged Ripper: +1 sec primary fire & 10% alt-fire damage

Heavy-Duty Vintage Suit: 5% damage to Line Gun, Detonator, Contact Beam
Heavy-Duty Line Gun: 10% reload speed & 5% damage
Heavy-Duty Contact Beam: -0.1 sec primary fire charge & 5% damage
Heavy-Duty Detonator: 10% reload speed & 5% damage

Agility Advanced Suit: 10% increase to stasis duration
Agility Rivet Gun: 5% reload speed & 5% firing speed
Agility Plasma Cutter: 5% reload speed & 5% firing speed
Agility Pulse Rifle: 5% reload speed & 5% firing speed

Hazard Pack DLC

Hazard Suit: 5% increase to Stasis duration
Hazard Line Gun: 5% alt-fire damage & 5% reload speed

Triage Suit: 10% medpack bonus
Triage Javelin Gun: 10% damage & 5% reload speed

Shockpoint Suit: 5% decrease to Stasis recharge
Shockpoint Ripper: +1 sec. primary fire duration & 5% reload speed

Collector's Edition

Zealot Suit: 15% armor, 15 inventory slots & 5% Force Gun damage
Zealot Force Gun: 5% damage & 5% reload speed

Dead Space: Ignition

Hacker Suit: 15% armor, 15 inventory slots & 1 less hack at consoles
Hacker Contact Beam: -.01 sec. primary fire & 5% alt-fire damage

Last edited by FSparacino4; 02-20-2011 at 04:34 PM.
FSparacino4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:15 PM   #2
FSparacino4

Where are the 'Conduit Rooms' located with a Dead Space: Ignition save game file?

Chapter 1: After first getting the stasis ability, you will come to the 'Elevator to Patient Care'. After exiting the elevator, you will see the gift shop and a bunch of red ballons ahead of you. The conduit room is to the left. Inside you will find Marco's 4th Log, 5,000 credits and a power node.

Chapter 2: Before coming to the tram station, you will come to a room with a moving walkway. The room is lit by a red and blue sign. This is the room where you first encounter the Exploder necromorphs once you reach the locked doorway at the end. After killing the 4 Exploders, enter the conduit room to find Marco's 3rd Log, the Hacker Suit and 2x ammo stacks for the plasma cutter.

Chapter 4: After your first encounter with the Stalkers, where you get the Clever Girls achievement, hack the console and ride the lift up to the next level. You will find the conduit room off the next hallway. Inside you will find Marco's 2nd Log, a med. health pack and a power node.

Chapter 9: At the beginning of the Chapter, you will go up a small lift and you will see the last conduit room right before you encounter the Crawlers. You will gain access to Marco's 1st Log, the Hacker Contact Beam, 5,000 credits, a power node and 2x stacks of plasma cutter ammo.

If I upgrade one of the retail weapons, do I need to upgrade the DLC versions seperately?

Multiple versions of the same weapon share upgrade paths and therefore do not have to be upgraded seperately. Upgrading one upgrades the others. However, selling one of these upgraded guns will cause the other versions to lose their upgrades. This is to prevent a large influx of power nodes that weren't earned.

Game Bugs, Glitches & Exploits

What is this Chapter 2 Exploit that people are talking about?

This can technically be done in any chapter, but it is called the Chapter 2 exploit because it is the first store where you will have access to the DLC weapons. This exploit can only be done if you have purchased the Martial Law Pack and/or the Supernova Pack DLCs. Only one is necessary, but having both will allow you to earn credits quicker.

Equip the Detonator(s) at the store and deploy the mines of one using primary fire. Use the secondary fire to pick up the mines, but do not reload the gun. If you have both the DLCs, do the same with the second Detonator. Sell the ammo at the store, and then sell and repurchase the guns. Rinse and repeat. Helps slightly on Hardcore, but it is a long process and many will find it unnecessary.

What is the Chapter 14 Power Node Glitch and how can it be performed?

This glitch has been confirmed to work on other chapters. It will not work for Hardcore mode as you are limited to 3 saves, so it has the most utility on your first playthrough to prepare for a New Game + on a harder difficulty.

After the Eye Poke sequence, you will be chased by the Ubermorph ("regenerator"). You will come to a Zero-G segment during this chase. After returning to normal gravity, pass through two doors and you will see the power node room. This is the room where the glitch will be performed. The Save Station that is also necessary in performing this glitch can be found through two more sets of doors.

The steps necessary to perform this glitch are as follows:
1) Unlock the door more doors to reach a Store, Bench, and Save Station.
3) Save at the save station.
4) Quit to the main menu and manually reload your last save or select "continue".
5) Head back to the Zero-G area (most of time you can go directly to the room). Once you get back to the Zero-G area, go back through the last two doors and go into the room on your right. This is the room that required a power node to open. Inside this room you should find either 2 power nodes, 1 ruby semiconductor, and/or 3k credit.
6) Go back to Save Station and save the game.
7) Repeat steps 4-6

The original thread can be found HERE, with a video and additional information.

I have fallen through the game world, got stuck in a wall or fell into an empty elevator shaft. Is there anything I can do?

Unfortunately, there is no known cause to these problems that many people have been experiencing. These glitches are really only gamebreaking on Hardcore difficulties as other difficulties you can simply reload your last save and not lose much progress. While it is unknown what causes this glitches, uninstalling the game from your HDD or clearing your cache has been known to help in some instances.

After purchasing some suits, I have noticed that others that I own are now missing. Where did they go?

This is another known bug without a fix, but will most likely be patched in the future. It can occur with various suits:

• If you are wearing the Security Suit and purchase the Zealot Suit, the Security Suit will be transferred back to the Store instead of to your Safe and you will have to pay 20,000 credits to re-equip it and vice-versa.
  • If you are wearing the Hacker Suit and purchase the Elite Advanced Suit, the Hacker Suit will be transferred back to the Store instead of to your Safe and you will have to pay 20,000 credits to requip it and vice versa. In order to get the deleted suit back, you must find its schematic again.
Hardcore General Questions

What is the "disc-swap" glitch?

The "disc-swap" glitch is relevant only to Hardcore and acts as an infinite checkpoint. After inserting disc 2, when you die you will be asked to reload your last checkpoint. Selecting Yes will place you back at the start of the 2nd disc, regardless if your last save was before the disc switch. NOTE: You must keep your XBox on to utilize this infinite checkpoint until you actually use one of your saves. Shutting off your Xbox will cause you to lose this infinite checkpoint.

Where should I use my 3 saves for Hardcore?

The most common save spots for Hardcore are:
(1a) Disc Switch Glitch
(1b) Chapter 10: After first entering the Ishimura before your encounter with the two Brutes
(2) Chapter 11: At the end of the Chapter before the Drill Ride.
(3) Chapter 13: After killing the Brute on the bottom level of the "3 story red room", take the elevator up and watch the cutscene about the Marker. After it is over, ride the elevator back down and save.

If you are finding it extremely difficult making it to the Disc-Switch without saving, I recommend saving in Chapter 5 before the scripted sequence in the Church's Main Hall with the giant Tripod and the group of Pack that attack after. The saves above are just recommended save points and you should save before areas that you had the most difficulty with on your first playthrough. Other recommendations from members of the x360a community can be found HERE.

Last edited by FSparacino4; 02-16-2011 at 12:50 AM.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:15 PM   #3
FSparacino4

What weapons/suits should I use?

I recommend using the Plasma Cutter and Force Gun. The Plasma Cutter is a great weapon in precision situations (i.e. Tripod Hangar Boss in CH 1, Brutes, Scripted Sequences and the Final Boss). Other than these areas mentioned above, I used the Force Gun as my primary weapon of choice. It is a great all around weapon with the primary fire useful in destroying large groups of necromorphs and the secondary fire amazing for hitting ranged targets such as the Lurkers and Pukers. It is also a great gun for Crawlers, Exploders and Pregnants as it will not cause them to burst or explode. The ammo for the Force Gun is also very cheap compared to the Contact Beam (another popular weapon). It can be purchased at the start of the game if you bought the Martial Law or Supernova DLC packs. If not you can find the schematic for it in Chapter 7.

NOTE: Ammo drops are skewed towards the weapons you are carrying IN YOUR HAND primarily & for the weapons you are carrying with you (but not equipped) secondarily. You will rarely recieve ammo for weapons that are in your safe, and will even more rarely get ammo for weapons that you haven't bought. Sometimes, the areas will also give you a hint of what weapon is needed. For example, if you have the Hacker Energy Beam on Chapter 10 and you find 10 rare Energy ammo in a row, it's a hint a Brute is near.

How should I utilize my inventory space?

I recommend keeping 4-5 med. health packs, 2-3 stacks of stasis (6-9 packs), 2-3 stacks of Plasma Cutter ammo and 3-5 stacks of Force Gun ammo on you at the bare minimum. When you get to the store, sell anything in access of what I mentioned above or purchase what you need in order to get back to the recommended amount. Purchase power nodes with any credits that you have left over.

How should I upgrade my gear?

I began by upgrading my Force Gun, getting all upgrades except the Alt-Fire. I then upgraded the first 2 HP nodes on my RIG and then the damage and Special nodes on the Plasma Cutter. I spent my remaining nodes on upgrading Stasis Duration and # of shots (Rechage nodes for stasis should be avoided as you will have plenty of stasis packs). You can respec as needed before the final boss.

Are there any other places to find Hardcore tips?

The community here has several great threads to help you out in your Hardcore playthrough. View other people's recommendations on what equipment to use, how to utilize your inventory and what to upgrade HERE.

Other Hardcore tips can be found in the links below:

Chapter Specific Questions

[CHAPTER 1 HARDCORE] How do I defeat the Hangar Boss in the Emergency Arrival Area on Hardcore? I always seem to get killed iin one shot by it.

This Tripod Boss is fairly simple, even on Hardcore. However, make sure you use stasis to collect all the crates and ammo, before approaching the front half of the room as your ammo could run scarce. Approach the helicopter crash to start the fight. When the Tripod lands, turn and run from it. It will jump through the air after you. You will know when this happens as it will let out a screech and the screen will shake when it lands. After the screen shakes, quickly turn and use stasis to slow the Tripod. Shoot the yellow weak spot on one of its arms several times before turning and running. Run around the the outside of the room where the pillars are in a large circular pattern. When it jumps again, repeat the process with stasis and hitting its arm. Run by the stasis module in the back of the room to recharge and keep moving.

Rinse and repeat this process until you dismember the first arm. The Tripod will no longer jump at you, but be careful as it can still move quickly. Use the same process of stasis, shooting and "kiting" until the second arm is dismembered. When it appears dead, shoot the yellow area on its tentacle-like appendage to truly kill it.

[CHAPTER 13] Upon entering the room where the Drill is crashed through the wall, I am encountering a large spawn of necromorphs. My objective trail isn't working and I have no idea where to go.

Upon first entering this room with the Drill on your right and a set of stairs to your left, you will encounter two necromorphs. Deal with them and then run up the stairs and turn around. You will be attacked by a large group of necromorphs. If you get too close to the right side, where the power node is, you will spawn more. Rest assured that these necromorphs aren't endless. After dealing with them and it appears that no more are coming, turn to face the large door. Tucked away in the left corner is a panel that can be hacked. After you kill several Elite Lurkers, rest assured that no other necromorphs will spawn. Hack the console and go through the large security door.

[CHAPTER 13] In the "3 story red-room", the necromorphs seem to spawn endlessly and I never have enough ammo to deal with all of them. What do I do?

The last store before this section is at the start of the Chapter, before you send Ellie away on the helicopter. Make sure you stock up on med. packs and Force Gun ammo as you will be needing it for this part. Upon entering the upper level you can move to the immediate right corner and use the force gun's alt-fire to deal with the oncoming necromorphs. Once the coast is clear (yes, they do eventually stop spawning after you move throughout the room) go down to the next level. When the necromorphs begin spawning return back to the same corner on the level above and deal with the necromorphs as they come to you. Once both levels are clear, gather any items from the wall containers before going down to ground level where you will encounter a Brute as you approach the Hacking Panel.

[CHAPTER 14 HARDCORE] After the Eye Poke Machine, the Ubermorph ("regenerator") gauntlet is giving me a great deal of trouble. What is the best strategy for dealing with him?

For the final 2 Chapters of the game, I recommend having the Contact Beam (Hacker Contact Beam if you played Dead Space: Ignition) and your Riot Security Suit. One primary shot in the legs combined with one alt-fire blast to the ground and the Ubermorph is frozen for 15 seconds. NOTE: While the Ubermorph is frozen, using any form of stasis on him does nothing until the previous effects have worn off. This gives you plenty of time to run through the gauntlet of other necromorphs dealing with the Ubermorph the minimal amount of time possible.

[CHAPTER 15 HARDCORE] I am having trouble defeating the Final Boss on Hardcore. What is a good strategy to use?

There are two weapon combinations that are particularly strong in this boss fight (Combo #1: Plasma Cutter & Force Gun, Combo #2: Plasma Cutter & Contact Beam). Use your upgraded Force Gun or Contact Beam's secondary fire mode on Nicole making sure to keep any Pack at Bay, which isn't difficult with the Force Gun primary fire or the Contact Beam's alt fire with the special ability. Focus on Nicole as once she is gone, the Pack disappear. Then use your Plasma Cutter with all the damage + special ability nodes to unload on the Marker heart. Rinse and repeat and the Pack should never touch you. NOTE: The most important aspect of being successful here is having your weapons upgraded. Without the upgrades, you will most likely run out of ammo and be overrun by the Pack before you can destroy the Marker heart.

Last edited by FSparacino4; 02-16-2011 at 06:25 AM.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:18 PM   #4
FSparacino4

Achievement Specific Questions

[The Sampler Platter] I am positive that I got kills with all ten weapons, but the achievement is not unlocking.

If you got a kill with a particular weapon, but died before making it to the next checkpoint, that kill will not be counted towards this achievement. This is the most likely cause of the achievement not unlocking. Also, it appears that getting kills on the Pack, Lurkers and Crawlers doesn't count towards this achievement, so make sure you get at least one kill on the more "human" necros such as Slashers, Pukers & Exploders for example.

[The Sampler Platter] Does using DLC or other variations of certain retail weapons count towards this achievement?

Yes. Any variations of the weapons from DLC or other extra content share the same upgrade path as the retail version and as such kills with these weapons will still give credit towards the achievement.

[Lightspeed de Milo] I missed dismembering the Lightspeed Boy Statue in Chapter 3. Do I need to start a new playthrough in order to get this achievement?

Fortunately, the Lightspeed Boy Statue appears in the game twice for those that missed getting it in Chapter 3. It can be found in Chapter 3, after taking the Elevator up to the "Concourse". You will see a single Pack running away and jumping over the ledge. If you look to your left, you will see the giant statue of a boy in a blue suit. The statue can also be found in Chapter 6, when you encounter a women fighting off necromorphs. As you approach her, she will shoot at you and a small cutscene will take place. After she leaves via the elevator, instead of following her look to where you entered this area and you will see the statue.

[Elevator Action] No matter what I do, I can't seem to knock all of the Tripods off the Elevator. What is the best strategy to use?

This achievement can be quite nerve-wracking, but with the right weapon it isn't hard at all. I recommend using the Contact Beam with fully upgraded alt fire and special ability. Standing in the center of the elevator, spam the alt-fire once the Tripods start spawning. This will get you the achievement 100% of the time. In Chapter 7, after the Zero-G segment where you must use the canisters to get the Elevator in to place, back track to the last store.

NOTE: Resave your game before doing anything else. Purchase the Contact Beam (Hacker Contact Beam if you played Ignition) and plenty of ammo (minimum of 24 when the gun is fully loaded) if you aren't already playing through the game with it. Respec your other equipment and put the nodes into the Contact Beam's alt-fire and special ability. Again, the key to this is SAVING BEFORE, NOT AFTER purchasing the Contact Beam and ammo so that you can revert back to the weapons you normally use and have all your credits back. Now head back to the elevator. Activate it and stand in the center with your back to the door you entered. The Tripods start appearing in waves of 1 and 2. Start spamming your alternate fire when Tripods are in the window. If they are hanging on by one arm, ignore them as they will fall off on their own. Spamming the contact beam's alt-fire is a guarenteed achievement. Now you can exit to the main menu and reload your last save and all your money is back!

Severed DLC Questions

Are you able to purchase weapons you have unlocked in the retail game?
Yes. You start off with the Pulse Rifle and Seeker Rifle, but you can purchase any retail weapons or unlocks that you recieved from beating the game on certain difficulty levels. Yes the Hand Cannon is available as well! No suits carry over except the CE and DLC ones.
50,000 : Wei of The Road (Sleeping Dogs)

Last edited by FSparacino4; 03-01-2011 at 12:13 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:19 PM   #5
FSparacino4

post reserved 2

Last edited by FSparacino4; 02-15-2011 at 09:33 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:54 PM   #6
Asturgis
Gundam Meister

Asturgis's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Subscriber - Platinum   Donator - Level 5   1,000 Posts   A+ Thread Award   Word of Mouth
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
Jesus Christ man, I did exactly the same and was supposed to finish it 2morrow... All that time wasted... Anyway, that's a fine job. I'll check if you can add stuff from mine
Old 02-15-2011, 08:09 PM   #7
Black Barney

Black Barney's Gamercard
great info! Answers a ton of questions I had a week ago. Should be stickied!

thanks!
Black Barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:43 PM   #8
FSparacino4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asturgis View Post
Jesus Christ man, I did exactly the same and was supposed to finish it 2morrow... All that time wasted... Anyway, that's a fine job. I'll check if you can add stuff from mine
You didn't waste all of your time. Keeping a FAQ up to date is definately a two+ person job. If you wanted to help, it can be a joint effort. You can just send me private messages for stuff I can add.

My HD recorder is in so I will be adding video clips to certain questions as I record each chapter for my hardcore video guide.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:53 PM   #9
Nozza XBA

SnozzyBear's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Submit - Diamond   GRID 2 Award   Staff Club - Nozza x360a   Achievement Guide - Platinum   Road Map - Platinum   Micro Guide - Silver   Over Achiever - Silver   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   XBA Promoter   Donator - Level 3   A+ Thread Award
Total Awards: 14 (more» ...)
Really good job mate! Every new big release needs one of these!

I've done for for Reach, we've got one for Blops and Fable 3, and this is just a big help! Nice work!
Old 02-15-2011, 09:17 PM   #10
DaHrtOfDaWhtDrGn
Banned User

gqxshadow's Gamercard
Great FAQ man surprised my hardcore thread made it in there, very well written and detailed on alot of stuff keep up the good work.
DaHrtOfDaWhtDrGn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:54 PM   #11
Asturgis
Gundam Meister

Asturgis's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Subscriber - Platinum   Donator - Level 5   1,000 Posts   A+ Thread Award   Word of Mouth
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSparacino4 View Post

What exactly carries over into a New Game + playthrough?

Everything. All of your gear (weapons and suits), inventory, credits, unused power nodes, and upgrades. Don't be alarmed when you don't start with anything, as you will have to wait until the first store to replace your straight-jacket. Your achievement progress also carries over in a New Game +.
Not exactly true. You will have to buy again the basic suits like the Vintage and the Security. You may also have to buy again the Hacker RIG (that can disappear from your inventory forever for no reason and you can't buy it again contrary to the Zealot RIG).

It might be good to add, to give you an edge for Zealot, that you also keep what inventory you carried at the end of the final boss's fight (large med-packs, Force Gun ammo...). What's more, the first time you step into the Store on a New Game +, you will automatically wear the last RIG you wore during the endgame, probably the Advanced Suit.

If you choose to equip a lesser suit (because you dig it), it will still have 25 slots for some reason, which is still be very valuable.

Quote:
Beating the game for the first time, regardless of the difficulty level will give you the Riot Security Suit (25% armor, 25 inventory slots & 10% Contact Beam Damage). Beating the game on Zealot gives you the Arctic Security Suit (25% armor, 25 inventory slots & 10% Flame-thrower damage). Beating the game on Hardcore gives you the Foam Finger Gun and the Soldier Suit (25% armor, 25 inventory slots & 10% Seeker Rifle damage).
Not absolutely true as well A New Game + will also net you the best suit for Hardcore : the Elite Engineering suit, that gives you 25 slots, 25% DMG RES, and +15% health when healing yourself. Even on Hardcore, it will be lying next to your first store and is a tremendous help.

There is also the Elite Security Suit (Chapter 9, +15% Javelin Gun, 25% DMG RES) and the Elite Vintage Suit (Chapter 6, 15% discount at the store, 25% DMG RES).

You also get on a New Game + the best suit in the game : the Elite Advanced Suit (The Advanced Suit is found during your first playthrough, has 20% DMG RES, 25 slots and a 50% drop on stasis recharge time). The Elite Advanced Suit gives you a boost of +10% DMG to ALL WEAPONS and a +15% stasis duration upgrade.

There is also trick for PC users to get a Patrol Suit. It looks amazing and will be the one-eyed suit you will get to wear when the Severed DLC comes out.

Quote:
What is the Chapter 14 Power Node Glitch and how can it be performed?
3) Save at the save station.
4) Reload the save point by quitting to main menu or by selecting Restart Checkpoint.
You should be more precise and say "quit to the main menu, and reload manually your last save or select "Continue"", and not "Restart Checkpoint" because it's confusing and not the choice presented to you on the menu

Quote:
Upon entering the room where the Drill is crashed through the wall, I am encountering an endless spawn of necromorphs. My objective trail isn't working and I have no idea where to go.

Upon first entering this room with the Drill on your right and a set of stairs to your left, you will encounter two necromorphs. Deal with them and then run up the stairs and turn around. You will be attacked by a large group of necromorphs. After dealing with them and it appears that no more are coming, turn to face the large door. Tucked away in the left corner is a panel that can be hacked. Use it and quickly run through the door before any more necromorphs spawn.
Allow me to add that they are NOT infinite at all. There will be double the amount if you make a run for the Power Node on the left side of the wreck (facing it), that's true. But it's a finite amount. Just be careful of the 4 Elite Lurkers that will spawn when you reach the panel, and know that if you go poke the hole on the right side of the wreckage (with TK for example) you WILL make them spawn on your face.

Quote:
No matter what I do, I can't seem to knock all of the Tripods off the Elevator. What is the best strategy to use?
IMO, your strategy isn't the best. Way easier is re-spending all your Force Gun nodes on the Contact Beam (the Hacker one is better), buy ammo for it, at least 24 plus the 7 in the barrel, stay on the circle in the middle of the elevator, and spam alternate fire. Achievement unlocked 100% of the time. AFTER, you can do your strategy and save money !

Quote:
I am positive that I got kills with all ten weapons, but the achievement is not unlocking.

If you got a kill with a particular weapon, but died before making it to the next checkpoint, that kill will not be counted towards this achievement. This is the most likely cause of the achievement not unlocking.
Not entirely true. From my experience, only "real" Necros count, and Necro-kids (The Pack) or Lurkers, or Babies don't count, so just in case, do it on real "human" necros.

Quote:
In the "3 story red-room", the necromorphs seem to spawn endlessly. What do I do?

Upon entering you can deal with the first two Crawlers and then immediately sprint to the door. The necromorphs from the room won't follow you into the corridor. On the 2nd level, you can again deal with few necromorphs by running and gunning your way to the next door.
If I may, this strategy is VERY dangerous on Hardcore because an Exploder can spawn on you and destroy you in 1 hit.

When you enter the room, full of health-packs and Force Gun ammo (prepare yourself long before that as there isn't a single store after Ellie goes away in her chopper, so attack this chapter with a full inventory), stay in the immediate RIGHT corner, not left, you will have a better view of what is coming from the left AND the right. In the LEFT corner, you're dead meat. ABUSE the Force Gun secondary fire here. You can also when you cleared the first floor, go down, make the enemies spawn, and run back upstairs in the same corner.

Quote:
After the Eye Poke Machine, the Ubermorph ("regenerator") gauntlet is giving me a great deal of trouble. What is the best strategy for dealing with him?
If I may, for the last time NOW is the time to pull-out your Hacker Contact Beam, and your Riot Security Suit. One primary shot in the legs, one secondary shot in the ground, and he's frozen for 15 seconds. Note that while he's still frozen, if for good measure you want to freeze him again to give you more time, it won't work. You can't freeze him again fur the full duration of your stasis or Energy Beam shot before he's been unfrozen by your first shot.

Some precisions you should make, if it were me :

1) Even if you have to play Ignition for it, the Hacker Contact Beam is the best Contact Beam in the game because it boosts your secondary fire. A must-have for Hardcore for Brutes (dead in 2 hits), the endgame boss and the elevator sequences, even the Drill if you like. Just ditch it for the rest, unless you want to carry it around to gain ammo and sell it, since it's the most expansive. The Zealot Force Gun really is a must-have as well with the Zealot RIG for the beginning of the game especially on Hardcore, because it will give you enough DMG RES and +10% DMG to your Zealot Force Gun. Finally, if you don't want or can't buy DLC, which I respect, the Elite Engineering Suit and its +15% HP increase is also a must-have for Hardcore, and is FREE but you need to play the game on Zealot First.

2) The game gives you even more ammo according to the weapon you're carrying IN YOUR HAND. It also gives you ammo for the weapons you're carrying with you (but not equipped in your hand when you enter a room), rarely for weapons that are in your safe, and very rarely for the weapons you haven't bought. Sometimes, the areas will also give you a hint of what's needed. If you have the Hacker Energy Beam on Chapter 10 and you find 10 rare Energy ammo in a row, it's a hint a Brute is near.

3) Hardcore mode isn't the same as Survivalist. It is not true, I checked the damage done to me with the same RIG by the same attack of the same enemy, in the same level, on Zealot AND Hardcore, and the damage was worse on Hardcore. So, it is closer to Zealot in terms of difficulty and damage. Zealot, and that must be noted, has more enemies (especialy Elite Lurkers). The amount of ammo (like in "number of bullets" dropped by each pack) is the same as in Zealot (1 Energy ammo, 1 Force ammo, 3 Plasma ammo…) with some rare exceptions (sometimes you will get 2 Force ammo, often dropped by tough enemies or in rooms).

4) In Hardcore mode, you hardly get any ammo (except for containers and already existing items in rooms) from dead enemies. Instead, you will get more cash. So the strategy is to keep ammo and health packs at all times by using the stores a lot more. SPEND YOUR CREDITS, SPACER !

5) Sometimes, you will see or think you see ammo on a table or in a locker, but won't have the option to pick it up, like in the small room before you shut down the electricity in Chapter 10, and have been attacked by 3 Elite Leapers. Just use your TK and you will be able to pick your ammo.

Finally, congrats on the guide Sparacino, you know you're my mate I hope I helped you in your super work.

I have finished 5 full playthroughs, not counting my Hardcore run which I did without saving once (still died 7 times and 3 or 4 under the fucking needle) so I'm pretty sure of what I'm proposing to you.

Cheers mate
Old 02-15-2011, 09:59 PM   #12
DaHrtOfDaWhtDrGn
Banned User

gqxshadow's Gamercard
A New Game + will also net you the best suit for Hardcore : the Elite Engineering suit, that gives you 25 slots, 25% DMG RES, and +15% health when healing yourself. Even on Hardcore, it will be lying next to your first store and is a tremendous help.

yOU SERIOUS I COULD OF WORE THIS SUIT ON HARDCORE THE WHOLE DAMN TIME, I DIDNT SEE IT I ONLY SAW IT ON ZEALOT
Old 02-15-2011, 10:35 PM   #13
Asturgis
Gundam Meister

Asturgis's Gamercard

Serious as Hell I used it all the time

EDIT : the schematic is lying on the floor near the first or second store in Chapter 1. It might even have appeared by itself some time after in your store and you didn't notice it. Sorry bro...

Last edited by Asturgis; 02-15-2011 at 10:38 PM.
Asturgis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:50 PM   #14
DaHrtOfDaWhtDrGn
Banned User

gqxshadow's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by asturgis View Post
serious as hell i used it all the time

edit : The schematic is lying on the floor near the first or second store in chapter 1. It might even have appeared by itself some time after in your store and you didn't notice it. Sorry bro...
pardon my language but fuck me man if i knew that i probably would of had a easier time.... Oh well thanks for the info though got it done and pew pew bang bang with the foam finger which honestly didnt think it was literally a foam finger
Old 02-15-2011, 10:52 PM   #15
XxINYOUREYE11xX

BlackHoleFTW's Gamercard
You should change the tip for the elevator battle. Asturgis is right, even on xbox live videos for achievements it had the contact beams alternate fire when its fully upgraded, just stand in the middle and spam the ground attack and it really takes all the skill outta this achievement. Wish I would have known when I got it, I used the plasma cutter, lol.

Edit: By the way great job on this and Asturgis great job for helping him, sorry he beat ya to it. Now nobody has a reason to post something stupid, if they do I won't feel bad about flaming them

XxINYOUREYE11xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:53 PM   #16
DaHrtOfDaWhtDrGn
Banned User

gqxshadow's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxINYOUREYE11xX View Post
You should change the tip for the elevator battle. Asturgis is right, even on xbox live videos for achievements it had the contact beams alternate fire when its fully upgraded, just stand in the middle and spam the ground attack and it really takes all the skill outta this achievement. Wish I would have known when I got it, I used the plasma cutter, lol.
damn i just spun around like a nut shooting with the force gun
Old 02-15-2011, 10:58 PM   #17
XxINYOUREYE11xX

BlackHoleFTW's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHrtOfDaWhtDrGn View Post
damn i just spun around like a nut shooting with the force gun
Yea most of us that got this on day one had no idea how to go about it, plasma cutter wasn't easy, took me like 5 trys on easy. This tip should make the achievement one of the easiest ones as long as people upgrade the contact beam, even if they don't the save before the elevator has a bench and store so no excuse. Also might wanna tell people if they don't get it after the brutes stop coming they should restart from checkpoint so they don't have to do another playthrough or load last save. Honestly I don't see how they could miss any if they use the alt fire on the contact beam standing in the middle.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:14 PM   #18
FSparacino4

I will update all of these when I get home. Editing posts from an iPhone is a pain in the ass. So you can get Elite versions of suits on Hardcore? I thought they were only available on New Game +.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:15 PM   #19
DaHrtOfDaWhtDrGn
Banned User

gqxshadow's Gamercard
Quote:
Yea most of us that got this on day one had no idea how to go about it, plasma cutter wasn't easy, took me like 5 trys on easy. This tip should make the achievement one of the easiest ones as long as people upgrade the contact beam, even if they don't the save before the elevator has a bench and store so no excuse. Also might wanna tell people if they don't get it after the brutes stop coming they should restart from checkpoint so they don't have to do another playthrough or load last save. Honestly I don't see how they could miss any if they use the alt fire on the contact beam standing in the middle.
I just checked the video out HOLY CRAP!!! makes the force gun look like a pea shooter
Old 02-15-2011, 11:16 PM   #20
DaHrtOfDaWhtDrGn
Banned User

gqxshadow's Gamercard
Quote:
I will update all of these when I get home. Editing posts from an iPhone is a pain in the ass. So you can get Elite versions of suits on Hardcore? I thought they were only available on New Game +.
thats what i thought also
Old 02-15-2011, 11:54 PM   #21
FSparacino4

As far as New Game + suits are concerned, they weren't added in to that question because it states what suits & items are available for beating the game on certain difficulties. I will make a new question detailing the suits available for new game +.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:02 AM   #22
FSparacino4

Quote:
Reloading your checkpoint at the top of the elevator, puts you at the top of the elevator after your chance to do this. If I said reload it after they stop coming if the achievement hasn't popped could confuse some people into thinking they would have to do another playthrough. Seeing as you should save right before entering the elevator, reloading your last save is a much more logical method. Reloading a saved game isn't much of a hassle and I am going to leave the wording as such on this one.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:06 AM   #23
XxINYOUREYE11xX

BlackHoleFTW's Gamercard
Quote:
Reloading your checkpoint at the top of the elevator, puts you at the top of the elevator after your chance to do this. If I said reload it after they stop coming if the achievement hasn't popped could confuse some people into thinking they would have to do another playthrough. Seeing as you should save right before entering the elevator, reloading your last save is a much more logical method. Reloading a saved game isn't much of a hassle and I am going to leave the wording as such on this one.
I wasn't asking for you to change that, just stating they should save before they get on where the store and bench are, if for whatever reason they forgot to just reload checkpoint before the elevator gets to the top. You should change the method for killing the brutes off the elevator, they should use the contact beams alt fire and just stand in the middle spamming the button. They should also save before upgrading the alt fire so once they get their achievement they can just reload save and not have to waste all the money and ammo. I know some of that is already in your guide. You did a great job on this btw, stupid noobs better read it before starting threads.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:04 PM   #24
Asturgis
Gundam Meister

Asturgis's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHrtOfDaWhtDrGn View Post
A New Game + will also net you the best suit for Hardcore : the Elite Engineering suit, that gives you 25 slots, 25% DMG RES, and +15% health when healing yourself. Even on Hardcore, it will be lying next to your first store and is a tremendous help.

yOU SERIOUS I COULD OF WORE THIS SUIT ON HARDCORE THE WHOLE DAMN TIME, I DIDNT SEE IT I ONLY SAW IT ON ZEALOT
Allow me to re-phrase that, it's not starting a new game + that gives you the suit on Hardcore, because there is no new game +, it's just having finished the game before at least once.

EDIT : thanks for the credit Spara Awesome guide.

Please STICKY IT.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:31 AM   #25
FSparacino4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asturgis View Post
Allow me to re-phrase that, it's not starting a new game + that gives you the suit on Hardcore, because there is no new game +, it's just having finished the game before at least once.

EDIT : thanks for the credit Spara Awesome guide.

Please STICKY IT.
As far as credit goes, dont mention it bud. And I think the suit you are referring to is the Riot Security Suit that is available after beating the game once. It has 25% armor, 25 inventory slots and 10% damage to the Contact Beam.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:45 AM   #26
Asturgis
Gundam Meister

Asturgis's Gamercard

Quote:
As far as credit goes, dont mention it bud. And I think the suit you are referring to is the Riot Security Suit that is available after beating the game once. It has 25% armor, 25 inventory slots and 10% damage to the Contact Beam.
I promise on my mother's grave (who isn't dead yet, by the way), that when I started Hardcore after a Casual and a Zealot playthrough, the yellow Elite Engineering Suit was waiting for me in the first or second store, next to it. I did use it for the entire game (with the Zealot suit).
Old 02-17-2011, 12:58 PM   #27
TaiCoon

TaiCooon's Gamercard
ea is pretty unimaginative

maybe you already noticed it or maybe not.
what have the following pictures in common... ^^

the same position, the same pose and both wear a full-body suit

somewhere i saw nearly a same picture from Dead Space 2 but i can't find it.

Last edited by TaiCoon; 02-17-2011 at 02:11 PM.
TaiCoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:01 PM   #28
JDMBO1

JDMBO1's Gamercard

batman I think
Old 02-17-2011, 01:55 PM   #29
TaiCoon

TaiCooon's Gamercard
the same position, the same pose and both wear a full-body suit
Old 02-17-2011, 01:58 PM   #30