Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Shooter > Dead Space 2
Subscribe    Donate

Old 08-03-2011, 07:06 PM   #1
skatemore

hostile carrot's Gamercard
Exactly how hard is hardcore mode?

I've just really started this game up and was wondering if I should even bother with trying hard core mode. Im typically really good with shooters... I beat almost all of them on the hardest difficulty without too much effort but people have made this one sound impossible.

Is there any achievements/difficulty levels from other games you could compare it to?

skatemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 03:56 AM   #2
ImaginaryRuins

imaginaryruins's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
I'd advise you to play straight ahead at Zealot difficulty. The reason is that, Hardcore enemies are actually weaker than in Zealot mode. Besides, random ammo and health amount are both the same in the two modes, so Zealot should give you an idea of how to save ammo to stay alive in Hardcore.

I at first also thought Hardcore would be very hard, but turned out it challenges my carefulness rather than luck actually. And if you try your best not to rush through levels (observe enemy pattern), you won't panic that easily and this can save you from many tough spots in Hardcore.

I don't know whether you've tried COD4. There's an achievement that needs you to beat the final level at the hardest difficulty in 1minute. I'd say DS2 Hardcore is even easier that that.

10000G for 10 games on 7/12/2010
20000G for 20 games on 9/8/2011
30000G for 30 games on 6/5/2012
40000G for 40 games on 24/9/2012
50000G for 50 games on 19/5/2013
60000G for 60 games on 12/1/2014

ImaginaryRuins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:27 AM   #3
G0DsDestroyer

G0DsDestroyer's Gamercard
The only problem for me is the saves in Hardcore, i mean, there's 15 or 16 chapters, meaning saving every 5 chapters or so. And i don't have enough time to sit and do that as i only play at night the majority of the time. And when I'm tired, i screw up and die easier. Last time i tried i got to 4 and died and gave up. I'll get back to it eventually though.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:44 AM   #4
DamagedWill

Send a message via AIM to DamagedWill

DamagedWill's Gamercard
If you need some extra encouragement. Go to "Personal Hardcore Tips" by DreamDevice on the first page. Incredibly helpful. If you're willing to shell out the ten bucks for Supernova and Martial Law packs it makes Hardcore much, much easier.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:14 AM   #5
Serjitank

Serjitank's Gamercard
for the saves, save at chapter 5, use the disc glitch, save at 10 if you can get there from 7, then save at 13.
Serjitank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 12:16 PM   #6
ImaginaryRuins

imaginaryruins's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
I saved in Chapter 5, before the fight with the Tormentor, Chapter 9 beginning, and Chapter 13.

I personally found the middle part the hardest, and once the plasma cutter and force gun were upgraded I just blast my way forward.

10000G for 10 games on 7/12/2010
20000G for 20 games on 9/8/2011
30000G for 30 games on 6/5/2012
40000G for 40 games on 24/9/2012
50000G for 50 games on 19/5/2013
60000G for 60 games on 12/1/2014

ImaginaryRuins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:54 PM   #7
Valkynaz

Hardcore is VERY easy compared to Zealot, especially if you've downloaded Dead Space: Severed or bought any of the weapon/suit DLC on Live; the free weapons and suits you get from them give you a HUGE advantage on Hardcore.

But I'd say the most efficacious thing to have is experience from previous playthroughs. The knowledge of knowing where and when enemies will spawn and what to expect next is invaluable compared to anything you can buy at the Store.
Valkynaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:29 PM   #8
Xenolith666

Xenolith666's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   Staff Club - Never Final   Staff Club - Gackt   Staff Club - * Clueless *   Over Achiever - Gold   Micro Guide - Silver   1,000 Posts   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Road Map - Bronze
Total Awards: 9 (more» ...)
hardcore has been giving me fits as of late.. i need to get motivated to do it at this point..

Xenolith666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:58 AM   #9
Master_D

Master Damian's Gamercard

Awards Showcase NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
I have the martial law and supernova packs and once you reach the first store you definitely feel more empowered on this run through. Hardcore to me is more psychologically difficult than anything else. The tension of knowing at any moment you can lose a monumental amount of progress sucks.

"I don't fail...I succeed at finding what doesn't work"
Master_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:01 AM   #10
Wildcats 418

Wildcats 418's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkynaz View Post
Hardcore is VERY easy compared to Zealot, especially if you've downloaded Dead Space: Severed or bought any of the weapon/suit DLC on Live; the free weapons and suits you get from them give you a HUGE advantage on Hardcore.

But I'd say the most efficacious thing to have is experience from previous playthroughs. The knowledge of knowing where and when enemies will spawn and what to expect next is invaluable compared to anything you can buy at the Store.
So what would the actually gameplay difficulty be compared to if it is easier than Zealot; survivor, normal, or casual. I have not attempted hard core yet, but I am about halfway through Zealot on round one, not a new game plus and it is difficult. One f*** up and you are dead. I mean is the challenge the fact that you can only save three times with limited ammo and health, I dont use the ammo anyway the TK is Isaac's best weapon anyway; you can sell ammo to buy health packs.

I don't really like how you can change the difficulty for the new game plus, you could not do that on the first game. There will be alot of people getting Zealot who do not really deserve it, but only because they saved up 6 monthes worth of items in the store. I figured I would play through Zealot on round 1 to prepare me for the difficulty of HARDCORE.

Sorry for rambling on, hopefully someone will respond to this in a couple of days with some insight, I guess I would look for other threads to answer my question but the search does not work and never has for me, Thats why so many people have to make repeat threads and posts. Anyways thank in advance.
Wildcats 418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 04:39 AM   #11
Lady Strums

l strums l's Gamercard
I saved in Ch 4, 9 and 12. The early save didn't affect me too much, but I regret saving in 12 and not 13 because having to do that drill ride over and over is annoying. I keep dying in chapter 14 a couple seconds before you get to Tiedemann and it's reeeally frustrating. Other than the last few chapters (12-15), I don't think it's too bad. It's basically survivalist difficulty with zealot drops.
Lady Strums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:27 PM   #12
Thomas29

Thomas29's Gamercard
I would have to say the limited number of 3 saves is the real killer part otherwise I would get the achievement myself.
Thomas29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 02:01 PM   #13
Lumo

aka LuMo's Gamercard
I tried it on Hardcore. I reached chapter 7 or so without saving. And then a necro with his explosive arm stand behind a corner. BOOM. I'm dead and had to restart at chapter one. Fu...
Lumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 04:44 PM   #14
Cdadvance3

Yo, I'm telling you. That Juminous guy has the right idea. The contact beam is as powerful in the beginning and at the end. The alt fire, when fully powered up with the special stasis, works wonders when you're surrounded by multiple enemies. Check it, I just got Dead Space 2 a week and a half ago. Beat it on casual in 2 days; using his tips, I just finished Hard Core in less than a week. Plasma Cutter and Contact Beam. I saved at 5 (but I could have made it past Ch. 7 easily), 9, and 11. Having played through it, I think I could have done a marathon and not died once (given the time). It's really not that bad.

Just do it bro; don't be skurred.
Cdadvance3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:00 PM   #15
Spectreshade85

spectreshade85's Gamercard
Yeah, it's not hard, you just have to learn to not conserve med packs, use them impulsively, but intelligently. Skip fights if you can, use TK to conserve ammo, that sort of thing. I finished it last night and it took me several weeks of maybe a few hours a week. Expect to die, it makes it less frustrating when it inevitably happens.
50K GS: 8/3/11 (Dragon Age 2: Knowledgeable)
60K GS: 4/20/12 (Kinect Adventures: Shining Example)
70K GS: 3/30/13 (Bioshock: Infinite: Heartbreaker)
80K GS: 3/4/14 (Darksiders II: The Secondary Adventure)

Spectreshade85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:22 PM   #16
ShadowKaster

Shad0wKaster's Gamercard
has anyone been ballsy enough to try starting on hardcore, changing difficulty until the saves, then switching back to hardcore just before you save? THAT'd be a fantastic screw up if it worked.

Game I wish I never started playing: Viva Pinata

50k - 5/15/10
100k - 5/10/13
ShadowKaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:45 AM   #17
Blerbman

Or you could just try to unlock it legitimately.

It's not even a hard achievement. I beat it in roughly 8 hours, the same day, without dying once. Obviously there was some "ohshit" moments, but it went so smoothly that by the end I said "was that seriously it?" I considered Zealot harder, just because it was easier to die.

My advice? Get the Force Gun, tape down the trigger, and you're good to go. After that, it's just a maze with some noise thrown in.
Blerbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:57 PM   #18
ShadowKaster

Shad0wKaster's Gamercard
well duh. my issue was at the end of ch.3, i somehow ran out of my ammo, thought i had enough, oops, and the monster coming out of the train made me die. stupid little mistakes, but still a question worth asking

Game I wish I never started playing: Viva Pinata

50k - 5/15/10
100k - 5/10/13
ShadowKaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:15 PM   #19
MackeyNArf3952

MackeyNArf3952's Gamercard
make one clumsy mistake & you're dead =< swallow your pride & find help & youtube. that's how i beat it
Old 09-12-2013, 07:10 AM   #20
Sebehk

sebehk's Gamercard
Finally received this achievement. Whew! I'm glad that's over. 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MackeyNArf3952 View Post
make one clumsy mistake & you're dead =< swallow your pride & find help & youtube. that's how i beat it
Exactly what I did...I used IGN's walkthrough to prepare for Hardcore. Even though I found a few mistakes in the guide (some node locations were there or not there), the guide helped me to see what was ahead.

--->Robert
8-)
Sebehk is offline   Reply With Quote