PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 LIVE Arcade Games > Fighting > Yie Ar Kung Fu
Subscribe    Donate

Old 01-24-2009, 02:00 PM   #1
Dennoman

dennoman's Gamercard
Denno's comprehensive strategy guide/walkthrough of this game

So, apparently a lot of people seem to have a lot of problems with this game. Getting the Invincibility achievement can be quite annoying to say the least, but here's my strategy guide/FAQ for Yie Ar Kung-Fu.

First opponent: Buchu
This guy is pretty easy, although he's probably the most random of the lot in terms of being either ridiculously easy or completely destroying you. Your best bet is the middle kick (forward + B), he should go down in a matter of seconds. Usually one of the easiest opponents to get a perfect on.

Second opponent: Star

I find the best strategy is to punch/kick her shurikens, then jump towards her and nail her with one or two punches "on the rebound". She'll dash backwards when you hit the stars (or the stars hit you) and she cannot attack you when in that particular animation. Try and take advantage of that by nabbing her with the punches. Punches are faster than kicks by the way, so they're your best bet.

Third opponent: Nuncha
Jumps towards him (again relying on the dash mechanic) followed by low kicks are the way to go here. He's still very easy, yet not as prone to perfects as Feedle. Just don't stay down for too long as he has range advantage and might nick you with 2-3 attacks.

Fourth opponent: Pole
Easy as pie. Move forward a bit, stay right where you are and spam low kicks. He'll go down in seconds because of your frame advantage. Don't give him time to attack himself, as his range advantage will prove a nuissance.

Fifth opponent: Feedle
Easiest enemy in the game. He'll clone himself and come at you from every direction. Time your attacks well and hit him with a middle kick (forward + B). Keep doing this until he runs out of HP, and the clone(s) on the screen will retreat in shameful defeat.

Sixth opponent: Chain
Staying close is the key. Jump towards him (don't give him space as his chain attack might get pretty annoying) and have at him with all the kicks in your arsenal, mostly low kicks will do the job just fine.

Seventh opponent: Club

One of my pet peeves in this game until I found a fool-proof way of beating him. The key to getting the best of him is the spinning punch (up back + A). Wait at the edge of the screen for him to get closer. When his clubbing animation starts, unleash your fury and he'll get knocked in the head. It may take a few fights to get the timing right, but when you do, he'll be a pushover.

Eighth opponent: Fan
Easy, but annoying if you let her. She'll almost constantly be dashing around, making it very hard to land a hit on her. It's also a plus that she barely attacks herself though. Just jump so you clear all the fans she hurls at you and try and get some low kicks in.

Ninth opponent: Sword
Never lost to this guy. Jump straight up and do a low kick upon landing. It's a game of chance really, but you'll find that the odds are really on your side. Bit annoying to wait for him to come into range, other than that: pushover.

Tenth opponent: Tonfun
This is where the difficulty curve of this game shoots straight up. Tonfun is the only fighter in the game there is no absolute strategy for. Just jump towards him and when he does the dash, have at him with one or two low kicks. After that, immediately repeat. Don't stand around waiting for him to attack, as he will slaughter you in seconds in despite of how good you were doing. Usually, this sneaky bliger is the one to get to me before I can finish my "no-lives-lost" run of this game.

Eleventh opponent: Blues

Two words: star punch. Congratulations if you got to him in the first place, but you're not out of the woods yet. Press down and left on the D-pad and wait for him to come into range. Time your punch correctly and press A. Even if you don't manage to hit him, bail out by jumping to the other side of the screen and moving back. He's a very mean sod indeed and one of only two characters (together with Tonfun) to have a completely random attack pattern. If you stick to hitting once or twice and bailing out, you should however be able to beat him, although I have to admit it took me hours upon hours to finally kill him on my first try (as in: not having lost any lives).

That's about it really. The achievements pretty much speak for themselves, except maybe the "land all punches and kicks" ones. You're better off trying these on Buchu, by doing a lot of jumping around. Remember: there's as many punches/kicks as there are life bar pixels. Mess up once by doing an attack you've already done and you might as well restart the game, as Buchu really is the only opponent it's worth trying on.

Hitting Star's... stars with every attack does not count towards the achievements, as you have to do damage to the opponent.
My status in this game: 200/200. I'm sure you can do it too

- Denno

Last edited by Dennoman; 01-24-2009 at 02:04 PM.
Dennoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 01:20 PM   #2
Dennoman

dennoman's Gamercard
Cewl, sticky
Old 02-08-2009, 01:07 PM   #3
jobless sam
Banned User

Send a message via MSN to jobless sam
great guide dennonman very helpful
jobless sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 11:26 AM   #4
darthmushu

darthmushu's Gamercard

Awards Showcase NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Helped me a lot but can't get past stupid tonfun. I wish he had a trick to him.

Retail Completed: 156 total

Arcade Completed: 108 total

FIRST in the WORLD to beat zombie wranglers. Stupid MP acheevs.
darthmushu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 10:17 PM   #5
Dennoman

dennoman's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthmushu View Post
Well, there kind of is, but it's pretty hard to describe so I didn't put it in the guide. I might actually do a video of this and upload it on YT, seeing how I've gotten a couple of requests on how to deal with the two final bosses in this.

Tonfun is a dashing character, by which I mean he will always follow your movement by dashing either in or out. For example: if you go all the way back to one side of the screen and jump forward, he will dash along with you and go all the way to the other side of the screen to land some hits on you when you touch the ground. To avoid him doing that, you'll want to find a correct distance to start your forward jump, so that he actually reaches the end of the screen, "bounces" off of it and dashes for a set distance, making him completely vulnerable to your attacks for a few frames. If you can get a pattern going and jump out AS FAST AS YOU CAN after landing a hit on him, it's actually possible to perfect him (I did it once, sadly never repeated it as sometimes this game just boils down to down right luck). Just toy around with it a bit, you'll get him in the end.

There's a video on YouTube of some dude getting the Invincibility achievement that shows off all of these strategies really well and he basically PWNED Blues, but totally lucked out on Tonfun. You could see he was just mashing buttons at the end and somehow pulled a 4- or 5-hit combo out of his ass that butchered Tonfun completely out of the blue.

It's basically like this: you win when the game wants you to, otherwise: you lose

Last edited by Dennoman; 03-15-2009 at 10:22 PM.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:21 PM   #6
drunken feedle

Each character has a weakness to a certain move
Buchu is weak vs jumping kicks or jumping punches.. also the groin punch makes him say Ni hao :hello

Star- jump up then walk forward and kick.. very easy

Nunchu- jump and land near him and sweep.. jump away and repeat.. his weak vs the sweep

Pole- He can be tricky but U+P works good if you do it alot..

Feedle- F+kick works best

Chain- jump to him and duck and sweep... keep sweeping till hes out of range
easy perfect

Club- u+punch works best if you do it rapidly.. you can do the ub+p but i think up punch works

Fan- jump over her fans and forward kick or sweep kick when near her

Sword- He can be hell but a good way to beat him is jump straight up then sweep kick to catch his foot
repeat

Tonfun- jump on him and sweep x2 then jump away and repeat.. if you can make him turn around when you hit him you might get 2 hits

Blues - wait for him to attack then do the db+p groin smack
when you hit him jump away then wait
when hes down to 3 health bars do u+p and pray you beat him
hes tough with lower life

Acheivement Unlocked!
drunken feedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 01:57 AM   #7
FeLizP
Banned User

Send a message via AIM to FeLizP Send a message via Yahoo to FeLizP Send a message via Skype™ to FeLizP

FeLizP's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Bronze   Road Map - Bronze
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthmushu View Post
Wouldn't say there was a trick but there is a decent zone-type strategy(similar to Denno's) that will help you win 75% of the time when you face him for the first time when going for Invincible. Despite his name Tonfun is not what I would call a Ton of Fun to face. Terrible pun joke aside, here's my strategy.

TonFun(Stage 10)
What I like to do is at the start of the fight against Tonfun I back up to the left a little and hit Down+Punch a few times. Tonfu will make his way to you. You want to make sure you're backed up just far enough to where when he nears, you jump over him to the right side of the screen. He will scurry backwards to the right and then to the left as you land. As he does this you will hit Down/Away+Kick(only move you need against him) and you should get a hit off of him as he retreats. Now immediately jump to the left of the screen and the right once again and repeat you offense. Tonfun will keep scurrying back and forth and fall for it over and over. You only attack as you land on the right side of the screen because he may introduce a tonfun to your face if you don't. Do not bother attacking when you land on the left side.

This strategy takes a few attempts to get just right but you will see what I mean after a while, it's all about proper zoning. I was able to get 2 Perfects on Tonfun using this method while going for Invincible multiple times only to have Blues ruin my streak. Once you get the right zoning in mind it works like a charm! Don't get discouraged, it takes a few tries to get it right. This video below that was mentioned by Dennoman helps a bit too but I feel the player gets severely lucky on the harder fights.

Blues(Stage 11)
If Blues is giving you trouble use the Splits Punch to his mid-section(Down/Away+Punch) and jumping method that the player does when facing him in the video above at 6:13. That strategy is actually harder than it looks because you have to time it just right and sometimes Blues will scurry backwards when you try to jump over him which complicates the fight. Once you have Blues down to 3 blocks of health he gets a little more dangerous and will start doing jump attacks. Watch your spacing and carefully hit another Splits Punch on Blues, remember it has pretty good reach so try hitting it when he's a good 2 paces away from you. Once he is down to 2 blocks of health things get seriously heated becasue Blues becomes a frenzied attacking machine at this point. If he corners you it's pretty much over because he will pummel you until your dead and the game becomes a button masher for your life! My personal strategy is to jump over Blues and back all the way to the side of the screen and do a flying kick(Back/Away+Kick) as he corners you. This almost ALWAYS hits and leaves him with one chunk of health left. Now rapidly hit the splits punch as fast as you can and hope you get him for the win. The fewer hits Blues pulls off on you(the more blocks of health you have)throughout the fight, the better chance you have of sneaking a hit in during the midst of his pummeling on you. Keep your fingers crossed here, and hope for the best!

Invincible is a very annoying achievement but I will say this, as you hone your skills you get better and more confident when going into the final two fights but don't give up! I found this achievement to be near impossible at early attempts but now I stand before you with 200G and anybody can do it if they simply keep at it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennoman View Post
It's basically like this: you win when the game wants you to, otherwise: you lose
Heh, too funny Denno.

I sort of agree with this, but after playing it for hours and hours you get a real good feel for it and the game can't try to MAKE you lose when it wants to anymore at that point!
Good Luck to anyone attempting Invincible and if you need help with any of the other 9 fighters, PM me!

Last edited by FeLizP; 11-21-2011 at 06:43 AM.
FeLizP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 11:26 PM   #8
Dennoman

dennoman's Gamercard
Yeah the guy in the video gets ridiculously lucky at the Tonfun part, there's like a one in a zillion chance of that 4 hit combo connecting.