Subscribe    Donate

Old 02-02-2013, 01:25 AM   #1
Ice Car

Send a message via Skype™ to Ice Car

Ice Car's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Shit that fucks games up

All of us have a list of things we absolutely hate in video games, and possibly, think ruin the game entirely. Whether it was an intentional feature, or an unfortunate occurrence in a game that can't be controlled, vent about them here.

Other than QuickTime Events, since the video above pretty much sums up why I hate them (and names the thread I guess) I suppose turn based combat and random encounters in JPRGs and terrible voice actors. I've seen so much turn based combat in JRPGs I'm absolutely sick of it and don't want to pick up a single other JRPG if it has the same old tired turn based combat. Also, random encounters. I don't think I need to explain why I hate them with a burning passion; in fact, I'd like to meet someone who LIKES this fucking annoying mechanic.

Terrible voice actors sometimes just make me want to slit my throat or at least mute the TV whenever the characters that are voiced by them talk. I don't care that you have problems Anise JUST STOP TALKING GOSH

Last edited by Ice Car; 02-02-2013 at 02:49 AM.
Ice Car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:30 AM   #2
Gackt
Banned User

Awards Showcase Staff Club - Gackt   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Gold   SOTF Winner   GSL 8 Winners   The Helping Hand   Bright Idea   Word of Mouth   Donator - Level 1   Submit - Bronze   Artist of the Month
Total Awards: 14 (more» ...)
Collectibles that exist for no reason other than to collect them, they add nothing to the game. Not all are like this, a great example of how they should be done imo would be the logs from Dead Space 1. You don't need them all for the achievement and they serve a purpose instead of just being a useless object to collect.
Gackt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:34 AM   #3
Rymt

Omisake's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shukuzen Kiraa View Post
Collectibles that exist for no reason other than to collect them, they add nothing to the game. Not all are like this, a great example of how they should be done imo would be the logs from Dead Space 1. You don't need them all for the achievement and they serve a purpose instead of just being a useless object to collect.
Would you count the "flying rats" (pigeons) in GTA4 to be useless collectibles? I'm a bit confused as to exactly what you mean.

Thanks to Cpt Slaughter for the amazing sig!
Rymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:39 AM   #4
Ice Car

Ice Car's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rymt View Post
Would you count the "flying rats" (pigeons) in GTA4 to be useless collectibles? I'm a bit confused as to exactly what you mean.
Useless trinkets that have no real purpose other than to be collected... Simple... You might call everything in Animal Crossing this. They pretty up your house, sure, and the goal of the game is to deck your house out with awesome shit, pretty much, but it doesn't really affect the game in any way.

I suppose whether furniture and stuff in Animal Crossing is useless or not is subjective, but when I think about it most of the stuff in that game is useless.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:55 AM   #5
BR0FL0WSK1

br0fl0wsk1's Gamercard
Why developers; why?

Stupid side quests that are required and are there for no purpose. I can understand some of them have some correlation to the storyline such as collecting all of the Codex pages in Assassin's Creed II, but others like anything in Sonic 06 just piss me off.
BR0FL0WSK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:00 AM   #6
StayonTarget
Mr. Purple

Send a message via Skype™ to StayonTarget

TheStayonTarget's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - troy0891   Road Map - Silver   Achievement Guide - Silver   Community Gaming - Emerald   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Gold   Donator - Level 2   CABS Beta Tester   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 1   Micro Guide - Platinum
Total Awards: 20 (more» ...)
Having rights to a really good song then only using it for the credits (Shellshock 2)
Retarded Collectibles that server no purpose (Far Cry 3)
Quicktime Events that give you .00005 seconds to respond to (Many Games)
Long ass cutscenes that you can't skip.

Thanks to Rajeanero for the sig!
StayonTarget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:06 AM   #7
Ice Car

Ice Car's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR0FL0WSK1 View Post
Stupid side quests that are required and are there for no purpose. I can understand some of them have some correlation to the storyline such as collecting all of the Codex pages in Assassin's Creed II, but others like anything in Sonic 06 just piss me off.
Wait, "required side quests"? But aren't side quests just that; on the side? If it's required of you to do it then it's story-related, because it is required of you to advance in the story; the game; regardless of whether it makes sense or adds anything to the story at all.

Maybe you're thinking of the pointless padding out of a game? Adding stuff to the story that doesn't need to be there but you're required to go through? Because as far as I know, "required side quests" is an oxymoron.

Last edited by Ice Car; 02-02-2013 at 02:10 AM.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:43 AM   #8
Gackt
Banned User

Awards Showcase Staff Club - Gackt   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Gold   SOTF Winner   GSL 8 Winners   The Helping Hand   Bright Idea   Word of Mouth   Donator - Level 1   Submit - Bronze   Artist of the Month
Achievements for playing games certain ways. Dishonored did this and while I still enjoyed the game quite a bit...my 2 playthrough's were specific to get achievements and not my choice on how I would have liked to play through.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:47 AM   #9
Akuza

Akuza89's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
So I'm gathering you disliked asura's wrath?

Anyway, mine, is lag.

When your playing zombies, and the game lags, and stops your from picking up someone or a gun
YU-GI-OH Arc V
Akame Ga Kill!
Gundam Reconguista in G
Gundam Build Fighters Try
Old 02-02-2013, 02:53 AM   #10
Spade.

Send a message via Skype™ to Spade.

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Silver   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Gold   Donator - Level 2   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Staff Club - Minty   Over Achiever - Bronze   Micro Guide - Bronze   Ambassador 1x1 Competition - Second Place   Submit - Silver
Giving in to pressure to changing something unnecessarily. That's right Call of Duty, I'm looking at you.
Spade. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:08 AM   #11
Fire Hawk D

Fire Hawk GYJS's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Gold   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Silver   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Hmmm...It's kind of hard to think of something I truly dislike...

Oh, I know. Hard difficulties that aren't "harder", just unfair. Throwing a couple extra enemies or upgrading them in some way is one thing. But, morphing them into damage-sponges while turning you into a walking glass figurine is just stupid. Some games this isn't too noticeable or maybe doesn't come out as too unfair, but some it's a glaring flaw (looking at you Star Wars: The Force Unleashed).
Fire Hawk D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:36 AM   #12
FatalDeathSG45

BloodScourge88's Gamercard

The quick-time events in Resident Evil 6, oh my god, those pissed me off. Why do I have to rapidly tap buttons to climb up a rope? What were you thinking, Capcom?

Lag is also a real annoyance. This is of course common in FPS games like Halo 4 and Black Ops II. If I had a dollar for every match I joined that wasn't laggy I'd have 1 dollar.
FatalDeathSG45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:19 AM   #13
Dog Face

In Marshall's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Silver   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Quote:
Achievements for playing games certain ways. Dishonored did this and while I still enjoyed the game quite a bit...my 2 playthrough's were specific to get achievements and not my choice on how I would have liked to play through.
Yeah, I don't like those either. Especially if it forces you to play through a second+ time.

Quote:
I agree. This is one of the most annoying things in games. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is one of the Half-Lifes in The Orange Box. You have to kill 333 grubs. Why?
Dog Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:56 AM   #14
cjdavies

cjdavies82's Gamercard

Useless collectibles that serve no purpose other than an achievement e.g. Flags in Assassins Creed 1.

A good collectible for example is the comic pages in The Amazing Spiderman since they unlock a digital comic book to read - once I done the amount required to unlock all the comic books I stopped, didn't want the achievement.

Last edited by cjdavies; 02-02-2013 at 08:59 AM.
cjdavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:20 PM   #15
Barad

Location: Bristol, England Occupation: Undergraduate Status: Doing a raid
Send a message via Skype™ to Barad

Barad XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Emerald   The Sports Challenge Club - Tier 1   Community Gaming - Emerald   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Bronze   Road Map - Emerald   Donator - Level 2   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer
Total Awards: 23 (more» ...)
Making you get 10,000 kills in multiplayer..not cool.

CURRENTLY PLAYING: THE CREW

Barad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:13 PM   #16
Spanish Assault

Send a message via Skype™ to Spanish Assault

Spanish Assault's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Micro Guide - Silver   Road Map - Bronze   Community Gaming - Platinum   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   10,000 posts   Over Achiever - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
Grindy MP achivements and hundreds of collectables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiral 462 View Post
Ha! I really wouldn't mind donkey punching Darkest of Days right now. This game is just really hard to stay focused on.
Spanish Assault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:32 PM   #17
hupheryspangler

hupheryspangler's Gamercard
Multiplayer on single player franchises. I'm look at you Assassin's Creed and Bioshock.
hupheryspangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:12 PM   #18
Fire Hawk D

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Gold   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Silver   1,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hupheryspangler View Post
Multiplayer on single player franchises. I'm look at you Assassin's Creed and Bioshock.
This...doesn't make sense.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:42 PM   #19
Jakez123
Subscribing Member

Jakez123's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Gotta Go Fast! Franchise Club - Tier 1   Free Agents - First Place   Community Gaming - Bronze   RPG!!! Challenge Club - Tier 3   Road Map - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Subscriber - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   2,500 Posts   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Over Achiever - Gold   Toilet Bowl Challenge Club - Tier 1
Total Awards: 20 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Hawk D View Post
Hmmm...It's kind of hard to think of something I truly dislike...

Oh, I know. Hard difficulties that aren't "harder", just unfair. Throwing a couple extra enemies or upgrading them in some way is one thing. But, morphing them into damage-sponges while turning you into a walking glass figurine is just stupid. Some games this isn't too noticeable or maybe doesn't come out as too unfair, but some it's a glaring flaw (looking at you Star Wars: The Force Unleashed).
Oh lord, I remember that, what a joke, the enemies were definitely damage sponges.

Beating Dirty in Killer Instinct is as easy as 123
Jakez123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:54 PM   #20
Dexter010

Claptrap NL's Gamercard
Collectibles and online achievements
Dexter010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:14 PM   #21
Bubble Supreme

BubbIe n Squeek's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Gamer Chick!
Achievements that involve obtaining something by no other means than by randomness. You can't do anything about it but just hope the game is kind to you.
Examples: trying to get emps out of the box in black ops, it can take 1 try or 1000 tries, nothing you can do about it, another example is getting all the great people to appear in Sid Meirs: Civ Rev, some people never show up no matter what you do...

Thanks to Audacious for making the sig!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftie View Post
They listened to the letter I wrote them in crayon!? YESS!!!!
Bubble Supreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:17 PM   #22
Gackt
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hupheryspangler View Post
Nobody is forcing you single player elitists to play multiplayer...some of us like it. Although I'm not huge on competitive mp these days, co op mp is always welcome no matter what the game is.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:14 PM   #23
Ice Car

Ice Car's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubble Supreme View Post
Achievements that involve obtaining something by no other means than by randomness. You can't do anything about it but just hope the game is kind to you.
Examples: trying to get emps out of the box in black ops, it can take 1 try or 1000 tries, nothing you can do about it, another example is getting all the great people to appear in Sid Meirs: Civ Rev, some people never show up no matter what you do...
Oh, yes, this.

Remember the collection achievements from Robot Revolution in Borderlands 1? It literally took me about 15 hours straight of farming to complete 3 of them.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:16 PM   #24
Fire Hawk D

Angry

Quote:
Nobody is forcing you single player elitists to play multiplayer...some of us like it. Although I'm not huge on competitive mp these days, co op mp is always welcome no matter what the game is.
I know, right? And they make these arguments that including multiplayer somehow detracts from the single-player experience, which holds no merit. Also, it's such a selfish stance. So you think a franchise is a single-player one? Who are you to say?
Old 02-02-2013, 07:11 PM   #25
Spanish Assault

Send a message via Skype™ to Spanish Assault

Spanish Assault's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Micro Guide - Silver   Road Map - Bronze   Community Gaming - Platinum   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   10,000 posts   Over Achiever - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Hawk D View Post
I know, right? And they make these arguments that including multiplayer somehow detracts from the single-player experience, which holds no merit. Also, it's such a selfish stance. So you think a franchise is a single-player one? Who are you to say?
Why you two felt the need to attack other peoples opinions is just silly. OP asked what WE feel messes up a game. The guy who thinks AC and Bioshock shouldn't have MP wasn't trying to change your opinion, just stating his. Post your opinion and move on....no need to come off as jerks about it. The thread isn't about debating which is better, so get over yourselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiral 462 View Post
Ha! I really wouldn't mind donkey punching Darkest of Days right now. This game is just really hard to stay focused on.
Spanish Assault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:29 PM   #26
BR0FL0WSK1

br0fl0wsk1's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Car View Post
Wait, "required side quests"? But aren't side quests just that; on the side? If it's required of you to do it then it's story-related, because it is required of you to advance in the story; the game; regardless of whether it makes sense or adds anything to the story at all.

Maybe you're thinking of the pointless padding out of a game? Adding stuff to the story that doesn't need to be there but you're required to go through? Because as far as I know, "required side quests" is an oxymoron.
I wouldn't really call them side quests based off your definitions then; I'm referring to the pointless 5 minute missions that are completely irrelevant to the main storyline, but are required at times for progression.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:35 PM   #27
Gackt
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmona25 View Post
Why you two felt the need to attack other peoples opinions is just silly. OP asked what WE feel messes up a game. The guy who thinks AC and Bioshock shouldn't have MP wasn't trying to change your opinion, just stating his. Post your opinion and move on....no need to come off as jerks about it. The thread isn't about debating which is better, so get over yourselves.
Where do you see us attacking anyone's opinion? All I see is us disagreeing with his and sharing our own.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:44 PM   #28
Vindicator51

Vindicator51's Gamercard

Quote:
Where do you see us attacking anyone's opinion? All I see is us disagreeing with his and sharing our own.
It's okay, everything has someone defending it. You're just defending MP modes.

On topic - i think the RTS part of Brutal Legend was tacked on, but the rest of it was pretty good. Too bad that it could've been a better game.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:51 PM   #29
gamerscorhunta

Send a message via Skype™ to gamerscorhunta

MaurickShepherd's Gamercard
I don't despise any particular game mechanic. My pet peeve is games that release with glitches abound. It's like the few people that are paid to play video games all of their lives to test their products can't even play the games? Let me have at it, I'm sure I could get results much quicker and efficiently.

Love my Sheppy children, Archer, Bishop and Knight
gamerscorhunta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:08 PM   #30
bigbear2face

bigbear XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakez123 View Post
Oh lord, I remember that, what a joke, the enemies were definitely damage sponges.

Yeah but most of the stages were designed such that you could use force lift and throw them to their deaths pathetically easily. Because of that I found TFU's hardest difficulty to be one of the easier ones in gaming (as long as you weren't trying to fight everything with your lightsaber).

OT: Shit that fucks games up...I'd say crappy play controls. It still amazes me to this day that the Resident Evil series lasted more then two games. Those first two games were a joke. Hit left on the controller and your guy walks right...Really? The series' play control has improved over the years but not by much.

Also I had some complaints about Deus Ex: Human Revolution. If you spent the entire early part of the game building a purely stealth character the first boss battle was completely jarring. Basically, they let you be a ninja with virtually no combat skills then all of a sudden force you into a situation where you have to have some combat skills. It wasn't game breaking. It wasn't really even all that hard to overcome. It was very annoying.

Alea Iacta Est
MAL

Awesome pic provided by Dirty130, Tom, Jack Frost and Pender
Thanks to Dante for the avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Kasai View Post
Simply because most people are idiots and don't think.

Last edited by bigbear2face; 02-02-2013 at 08:11 PM.
bigbear2face is offline   Reply With Quote