PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Main Hub > Discussion Boards > Games
Subscribe    Donate

Old 02-02-2013, 08:41 PM   #31
Gackt
Banned User

Awards Showcase Staff Club - Gackt   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Gold   SOTF Winner   GSL 8 Winners   The Helping Hand   Bright Idea   Word of Mouth   Donator - Level 1   Submit - Bronze   Artist of the Month
Total Awards: 14 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear2face View Post

Also I had some complaints about Deus Ex: Human Revolution. If you spent the entire early part of the game building a purely stealth character the first boss battle was completely jarring. Basically, they let you be a ninja with virtually no combat skills then all of a sudden force you into a situation where you have to have some combat skills. It wasn't game breaking. It wasn't really even all that hard to overcome. It was very annoying.
I believe they apologized for the boss fights, they were even outsourced although I don't know what the point of outsourcing sections/parts of your game serves. I don't see them making that mistake in the future if they do another Deus Ex. Personally I enjoyed the original and even Invisible War more than Human Revolution. I liked DX:HR, just not nearly as much as the others.
Gackt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:06 PM   #32
Jakethemuss

Thepercenter's Gamercard
The slow-mo bullet damage scenes in Fable III during gunfights.

-I mean WTF it totally kills the rythym of the fight and is distracting as phuck. In Fallout 3 I didn't mind as it was only the last death which was in slo-mo so the danger was over but this just makes gunfights irritating and choppy.

-Unresponsive in-game directions, like you're following a trail and its just leading you around in random patterns (yeah again Fable III, get your act together!)

Currently looking to boost; Condemned 2, Crackdown co-op

Info for potential multiplayer pals; I am a UK brah so go by 'GMT'
Jakethemuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:30 PM   #33
Dexter010

Claptrap NL's Gamercard
Earn platinum medals in DiRT 3.
Beat enemy/time this or that
Dexter010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:09 AM   #34
Cann0nSen5ei

Cann0nSen5ei's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakethemuss View Post
The slow-mo bullet damage scenes in Fable III during gunfights.

-I mean WTF it totally kills the rythym of the fight and is distracting as phuck. In Fallout 3 I didn't mind as it was only the last death which was in slo-mo so the danger was over but this just makes gunfights irritating and choppy.

-Unresponsive in-game directions, like you're following a trail and its just leading you around in random patterns (yeah again Fable III, get your act together!)
Slow motion has a habit of ruining the flow of games, it should only be used on the very last kill of a match/combat not every other time something dies.

Fable III did a lot of things wrong, like taking away a loooooot of customization options; RPG titles are known for a boatload of customization options.
i am looking at you Bioware!
Old 02-03-2013, 01:30 AM   #35
xAlbobx

Albob2nd's Gamercard
Achievements that can be easily missed and you can't go back and get
xAlbobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:33 AM   #36
Foxxy kyle

RemoveObama96's Gamercard

Awards Showcase You ARE the Controller Challenge Club - Tier 1   Road Map - Platinum   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Submit - Diamond   Micro Guide - Silver   XBA Promoter   2,500 Posts   Achievement Guide - Gold   Over Achiever - Bronze   Referrals - Bronze   A+ Thread Award   Bright Idea
Total Awards: 12 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shukuzen Kiraa View Post
Gackt? Is that you in there?
Old 02-03-2013, 01:48 AM   #37
Cann0nSen5ei

Cann0nSen5ei's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxxy kyle View Post
Gackt? Is that you in there?
I think that is him, the location and awards look the same.
since when could members change their usernames?

ON TOPIC: Deus Ex Human Revolution wasn't too remarkable for me, too linear.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:50 AM   #38
BiggD
PULL IT TOGETHER, 343!

BiggDope's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 15,000 Posts   Community Gaming - Silver   Xbox One Maximum Clubs Novice   Achievement Guide - Gold   Road Map - Gold   Submit - Diamond   Micro Guide - Diamond   A+ Thread Award   CABS Beta Tester   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   Donator - Level 2   VGO Bronze Medal
Total Awards: 17 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cann0nSen5ei View Post
I think that is him, the location and awards look the same.
since when could members change their usernames?

ON TOPIC: Deus Ex Human Revolution wasn't too remarkable for me, too linear.
It is in fact him.

Subscribers can change their account name when they please.

Thanks to Xerofox for the romantically rambunctious signature!

Currently Playing: Halo: The Master Chief Collection
~ HALO IS LOVE, HALO IS LIFE ~
BiggD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:59 AM   #39
Cann0nSen5ei

Cann0nSen5ei's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by The BiggD View Post
It is in fact him.

Subscribers can change their account name when they please.
Oh, awesome. that thought actually crossed my mind when Spade/Ratify changed his but i didn't think of it until Foxxy pointed Gackt/Kiraa out... I am moderately confused but acclimatizing.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:14 AM   #40
bigbear2face

bigbear XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Quote:
I believe they apologized for the boss fights, they were even outsourced although I don't know what the point of outsourcing sections/parts of your game serves. I don't see them making that mistake in the future if they do another Deus Ex. Personally I enjoyed the original and even Invisible War more than Human Revolution. I liked DX:HR, just not nearly as much as the others.

That explains the difference between game styles. I was totally shocked when I entered that first boss fight. It took me a couple of tries to figure out how the heck I was going to beat it with virtually no weapons or weapon skills.

Also, of course you liked DX:HR despite its flaws. You love all things cyberpunk.

Now that you've finished Witcher 2 and know what that company is capable of how much more are you looking forward to the CyberPunk game?

Alea Iacta Est
MAL

Awesome pic provided by Dirty130, Tom, Jack Frost and Pender
Thanks to Dante for the avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Kasai View Post
Simply because most people are idiots and don't think.
bigbear2face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:47 AM   #41
hupheryspangler

hupheryspangler's Gamercard
Quote:
Nobody is forcing you single player elitists to play multiplayer...some of us like it. Although I'm not huge on competitive mp these days, co op mp is always welcome no matter what the game is.
I'm not a single player only gamer. I play plenty of multiplayer games and I enjoy the hell out of it when it's done well. What I hate is tacked on garbage that isn't needed like AS or Bioshock multiplayer. They are not fun. They did not add to the experience. Use those resources to make the core game better.
hupheryspangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:50 AM   #42
bigbear2face

bigbear XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hupheryspangler View Post
I'm not a single player only gamer. I play plenty of multiplayer games and I enjoy the hell out of it when it's done well. What I hate is tacked on garbage that isn't needed like AS or Bioshock multiplayer. They are not fun. They did not add to the experience. Use those resources to make the core game better.

Most of the time the "use those resources to make the core game better" is not a legitimate argument. A lot of the time the MP for a traditionally SP franchise is either outsourced to a completely different developer or people within the SP developer that have nothing to do with the SP are tasked to work on it.

Alea Iacta Est
MAL

Awesome pic provided by Dirty130, Tom, Jack Frost and Pender
Thanks to Dante for the avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Kasai View Post
Simply because most people are idiots and don't think.
bigbear2face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:53 AM   #43
ChickinOnaChain

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by StayonTarget View Post
Having rights to a really good song then only using it for the credits (Shellshock 2)
Retarded Collectibles that server no purpose (Far Cry 3)
Quicktime Events that give you .00005 seconds to respond to (Many Games)
Long ass cutscenes that you can't skip.
Can't argue with this at all. Good job StayonTarget !

ChickinOnaChain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:20 PM   #44
Spanish Assault

Send a message via Skype™ to Spanish Assault

Spanish Assault's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Micro Guide - Silver   Road Map - Bronze   Community Gaming - Platinum   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   10,000 posts   Over Achiever - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
Quote:
Nobody is forcing you single player elitists to play multiplayer....
Quote:
Where do you see us attacking anyone's opinion? All I see is us disagreeing with his and sharing our own.
The comment above can be interpreted as hostile....if it wasn't then my bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiral 462 View Post
Ha! I really wouldn't mind donkey punching Darkest of Days right now. This game is just really hard to stay focused on.
Spanish Assault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:53 PM   #45
Toams07

Toamss's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1   XBA Promoter   2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Games without skippable cutscenes that you have to complete multiple times for the 1000

Thanks to DEG23 for the azaming Trials Evo sig!

Thanks to Rajeanero for the fantastic Joker avatar!
Toams07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:53 PM   #46
McDurbin

llDurbinll's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Hawk D View Post
I know, right? And they make these arguments that including multiplayer somehow detracts from the single-player experience, which holds no merit. Also, it's such a selfish stance. So you think a franchise is a single-player one? Who are you to say?
It kinda does. There is only so much space on the disk and if they add MP then they have to make the story short so they can fit the mp onto the disk. If they didn't have to add MP they could come up with a longer and better story.

I also hate quicktime events and tacked on MP. You can tell when its tacked on when they just take sections of the game from single player and call it a map.

Extremely Serious
Check out my video guide for South Park:Tenorman's Revenge. Gold Time and collectibles,Click Here
McDurbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:53 PM   #47
Spanish Assault

Awards Showcase Micro Guide - Silver   Road Map - Bronze   Community Gaming - Platinum   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   10,000 posts   Over Achiever - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDurbin View Post
It kinda does. There is only so much space on the disk and if they add MP then they have to make the story short so they can fit the mp onto the disk. If they didn't have to add MP they could come up with a longer and better story.

I also hate quicktime events and tacked on MP. You can tell when its tacked on when they just take sections of the game from single player and call it a map.
I agree.....I think Revelations Single player suffered because they shoe horned MP into that game. So did Bioshock 2 and Dead Space 2.

Quote:
Ha! I really wouldn't mind donkey punching Darkest of Days right now. This game is just really hard to stay focused on.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:36 PM   #48
Gackt
Banned User

Awards Showcase Staff Club - Gackt   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Gold   SOTF Winner   GSL 8 Winners   The Helping Hand   Bright Idea   Word of Mouth   Donator - Level 1   Submit - Bronze   Artist of the Month
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmona25 View Post
I agree.....I think Revelations Single player suffered because they shoe horned MP into that game. So did Bioshock 2 and Dead Space 2.
How did Dead Space 2 suffer because of the added MP? I don't recall DS2 lacking in the SP area due to an added MP.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:43 PM   #49
Xerofox
were given today

Xerofox's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Artist of the Month   Staff Club - Xerofox   SOTF Winner   Staff - Graphics Team   1,000 Posts   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 6 (more» ...)
Very boring story line telling, childish use of phrases like "jeepers creepers" and bad voice actors really fucks up a game for me (example Conner's voice actor from Assassins's Creed).
Old 02-03-2013, 06:24 PM   #50
Hurricane Of 87

Hurricane Of 87's Gamercard
Those long-haul achievements that are still missable where you need to play the campaign beginning to end to get them.
Talking about Dishonored's Clean Hands, Shadow, Ghost achievements.
Can't really see why you can't just re-do the missions/chapters where you slipped up and are forced the replay the ENTIRE thing.
Goes for 'collect all X' in a single playthrough as well. I think DX:HR has one but I haven't really started that game properly.
Cool with long-haul achievements that you can't miss like the Max Payne 3 and Dead Space 2's infamous ones.

Another shout for the collectibles that don't add anything specifically if you need a guide to get them.
Vanquish didn't even tell you how many there were, on what levels they were or even how many you had done! A perfect example right there.
Other offenders: Assassins Creed II feathers, Saints Row 2 CDs.

As long as they unlock stuff at certain points or provide backstory (B:AA, B:AC, GOW3, Alan Wake's AN) well before the 100% mark or
they provide some sort of map/level-by-level breakdown along with a challenge (the two Batman games again, Red Dead Redemption) then I'm good with them.
Otherwise it's just obvious padding that adds next to nothing.

Paid DLC Map Packs
They just seem to splinter the player community.
People with the packs seem to moan about the smaller number of players on DLC maps, but don't want to go back to the old ones since they've put money down. Similarly those who haven't just won't get the map packs because it's 'too expensive' or they'd want "dedicated single player content" instead.
Friends can't play with other friends, they'll get rid of the game sooner, etc.
Just personal experience there.

A good idea would be to package a few maps and some single player content in the same package so neither side misses out.
Modern Warfare 3 did this I believe but I have no idea if it was popular.
Hurricane Of 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:29 PM   #51
fat_tony

Obi TW0's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDurbin View Post
I kind of know what you mean, although so often it can go the other way and the addition of MP to a game can give it a new lease of life. What I really don't like are too many achievements tied to MP. In my book, it should be a "sampler platter" to encourage you to try different modes and the like, but there are too many grindy "achieve Rank n" and luck-based achievements with MP.

Oh, and dodgy checkpoint systems. I HATE games that have bad save systems: requiring you to go to certain points to save (Dead Rising, Far Cry 2), or with extremely long distances (and some tough sections) without checkpoints.

100% Games
fat_tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:52 PM   #52
McDurbin

llDurbinll's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat_tony View Post
I kind of know what you mean, although so often it can go the other way and the addition of MP to a game can give it a new lease of life. What I really don't like are too many achievements tied to MP. In my book, it should be a "sampler platter" to encourage you to try different modes and the like, but there are too many grindy "achieve Rank n" and luck-based achievements with MP.
That is true, but I can't think of a game that was originally SP only that added MP and did well. I know Bioshock and Assassins Creed didn't fair too well with MP.

I also agree with the MP achievements. If you're going to do it, just make it simple like play on all the maps or play all game modes. If people like it they will keep playing, if they don't then don't force them to play it, aka Seriously 3.0.

Extremely Serious
Check out my video guide for South Park:Tenorman's Revenge. Gold Time and collectibles,Click Here
McDurbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:11 PM   #53
Spanish Assault

Quote:
How did Dead Space 2 suffer because of the added MP? I don't recall DS2 lacking in the SP area due to an added MP.
It's didn't have the same feel as the first one. Again a development team only has a certain amount of time to develop a game. If 1/3 of that time is spent making a MP because thats where the money is, it MUST take away from the single player story. That time spent could be used to adding to the campaign, or tweaking it.

Quote:
Old 02-03-2013, 08:35 PM   #54
Agent Aero

Aero x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Gold   x360a Representer   Over Achiever - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Silver   Road Map - Gold   Word of Mouth   1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
When your character receives info from an ear pice. AND THEY DON'T EVEN HAVE AN EAR PIECE.

It's such a small thing, but it really grinds my gears.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:35 PM   #55
KillerBEA

Send a message via Skype™ to KillerBEA

KillerBEA 91's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   Arcade Crazy - Silver   Community Gaming - Platinum   Donator - Level 2   Staff Club - Madhatters13   Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 1   I Can Read! NTSC-J Challenge Club - Tier 2   Fight Club Challenge Club - Tier 1   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer   Toilet Bowl Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - KillerBEA
Total Awards: 27 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Of 87 View Post

Another shout for the collectibles that don't add anything specifically if you need a guide to get them.
Vanquish didn't even tell you how many there were, on what levels they were or even how many you had done! A perfect example right there.
Other offenders: Assassins Creed II feathers, Saints Row 2 CDs.

As long as they unlock stuff at certain points or provide backstory (B:AA, B:AC, GOW3, Alan Wake's AN) well before the 100% mark or
they provide some sort of map/level-by-level breakdown along with a challenge (the two Batman games again, Red Dead Redemption) then I'm good with them.
Otherwise it's just obvious padding that adds next to nothing.
Assassin's Creed 2 had a very detailed breakdown of the collectibles, it told you how many and what general area. You have obviously never flag hunted in the first Assassin's Creed if you think the feathers are bad.

I hate collectibles quite a bit but those feathers were far from annoying. They learned their lesson from the first game which had 0 ways of tracking your collectibles and there was over 400 of them.
KillerBEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:11 PM   #56
Spanish Assault

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBEA View Post
Assassin's Creed 2 had a very detailed breakdown of the collectibles, it told you how many and what general area. You have obviously never flag hunted in the first Assassin's Creed if you think the feathers are bad.

I hate collectibles quite a bit but those feathers were far from annoying. They learned their lesson from the first game which had 0 ways of tracking your collectibles and there was over 400 of them.
Agreed....although I loved the first Assassins Creed so much that I also enjoyed the collectibles. It took me 5 play-troughs, but I loved every minute.

Quote:
Old 02-03-2013, 10:18 PM   #57
cjdavies

cjdavies82's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hupheryspangler View Post
Just because you don't find them fun doesn't mean others don't. I don't like MP shooters but enjoy AC MP.

Not aimed at you, AC3 MP people are moaning about it, but it's on a separate disc, meaning more SP on disc 1.

Last edited by cjdavies; 02-03-2013 at 10:28 PM.
cjdavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:49 PM   #58
Cann0nSen5ei

Cann0nSen5ei's Gamercard
Quote:
It's didn't have the same feel as the first one. Again a development team only has a certain amount of time to develop a game. If 1/3 of that time is spent making a MP because thats where the money is, it MUST take away from the single player story. That time spent could be used to adding to the campaign, or tweaking it.
Visceral wasted a third of their time on multiplayer then? makes sense considering the Online Pass EA tacked on to Dead Space 2.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:50 PM   #59
Gackt
Banned User

Quote:
That is 100% not the developers fault and more publishers fault. Same with forcing deadlines on developers.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:00 PM   #60
Cann0nSen5ei

Cann0nSen5ei's Gamercard
Quote:
That is 100% not the developers fault and more publishers fault. Same with forcing deadlines on developers.
Always blame EA, or Activision.

The Online Passes can still sink a game's MP support. I have read that Dead Space 2's multiplayer is extremely unbalanced now that everybody is so high-level, not very friendly to potential new players.

Personally, multiplayer that requires an Online Pass becomes unplayable for me, it just takes away the spirit of the game. If that makes any sense.