PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > RPG > Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Subscribe    Donate

Old 02-07-2013, 03:29 PM   #1
bengals84

Bengals84's Gamercard
New to Skyrim

Sorry if there is a thread on this I looked and could not find any.

Having never played before I was wondering what people think the best class/race is to be or are none better than the others, just personal preference.
I just do not want to put hours into a class to find out it sucks later on. Again this whole game is new to me. And should I get the DLC right away or put some time into my class before getting those, I mean is there anything in the DLC to help me early on, I do not just want to power through the game just to get the chevos I want to take my time and enjoy it hopefully. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:42 PM   #2
Scotty
Shut up and Kiss Me!!

Scotty x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase The Mighty Duck Face   Achievement Guide - Silver   Donator - Level 4   Green Thumb - Silver   Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 1   CABS Beta Tester   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   x360a Representer   Subscriber - Bronze   Road Map - Gold   A+ Thread Award   2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 16 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengals84 View Post
Sorry if there is a thread on this I looked and could not find any.

Having never played before I was wondering what people think the best class/race is to be or are none better than the others, just personal preference.
I just do not want to put hours into a class to find out it sucks later on. Again this whole game is new to me. And should I get the DLC right away or put some time into my class before getting those, I mean is there anything in the DLC to help me early on, I do not just want to power through the game just to get the chevos I want to take my time and enjoy it hopefully. Thanks in advance.
well, first you need to know that whatever class you choose, is fine as you can change whenever you want, just by using the abilities of the class you wish to change to, to level them up.

i would suggest though, that you start as a warrior. its my default class and by far the easiest to use as a new comer, especially if you choose the heavy armour route.

if you choose a warrior, you then need to decide on; 1 weapon/dual wielding(1 handed), sword and shield, two handed weapon(battleaxe/hammer/greatsword) or bow and arrow and try to stick with it to level it up and then you will always have a weapon class that you can rely on if you get stuck.

if you decide to play as a thief class, which is probably the most fun, you need to make very good use of the bow and arrows as you will be spending your time with light armour on, so up close melee fighting will be harder with less armour. Focus on leveling sneak, light armour, 1 handed and archery to survive.

i can't speak for a mage as i never have played purely mage class. sometimes ill try a hybrid mage/warrior as a dark elf, but i usually just end up as a warrior after playing for a bit.

This makes me think that it would be good if someone where to write a guide to the classes, but its probably a bit too late for that.

Last edited by Scotty; 02-07-2013 at 10:44 PM.
Scotty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:07 AM   #3
Cann0nSen5ei

Cann0nSen5ei's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
i can't speak for a mage as i never have played purely mage class. sometimes ill try a hybrid mage/warrior as a dark elf, but i usually just end up as a warrior after playing for a bit.
Mages in Skyrim are a decent way to be a ranged/support character, but they become shamefully underpowered later on when enemies get higher stats; Everything in Skyrim wants to slash your face off anyway so a mage will not last long in close-range combat.

A warrior would definitely be easiest to play as for beginners.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:38 AM   #4
ecto69

ecto69's Gamercard
You can always become a BattleMage (heavy armor Mage) and use 1 hand sword.

Mage powers for the long range kills, and sword close encounters.

PS. I tried 2H warrior and found it near impossible to kill a flying dragon

Check out default skills:

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Races_%28Skyrim%29

Pick the one you want to be.

Last edited by ecto69; 02-08-2013 at 01:43 AM.
ecto69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:23 AM   #5
Craphex

Craphex's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Silver   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Yeah definitely a heavy armour wearing warrior with a few spells, i only use heal and fire, very useful! Heal saves on potions and fire for those annoying enemies weaker to magic.

Also, anyone know of another patch or update coming? Or are we all fixed up now? Not that I've had any problems :P

100,000G Reached: 25/04/12
Craphex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:53 PM   #6
bengals84

Bengals84's Gamercard
Quote:

if you decide to play as a thief class, which is probably the most fun, you need to make very good use of the bow and arrows as you will be spending your time with light armour on, so up close melee fighting will be harder with less armour. Focus on leveling sneak, light armour, 1 handed and archery to survive.

I chose to be a Dark Elf, I am spending points on Archery and Sneak at the moment, although I am only level 7 right now. The game is pretty fun, only regret so far is I saved and bought a horse and sadly it was killed rather quickly. I thought it might come back like they do in Red Dead Redemption but so far it has not.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:33 PM   #7
Scotty
Shut up and Kiss Me!!

Scotty x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase The Mighty Duck Face   Achievement Guide - Silver   Donator - Level 4   Green Thumb - Silver   Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 1   CABS Beta Tester   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   x360a Representer   Subscriber - Bronze   Road Map - Gold   A+ Thread Award   2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 16 (more» ...)
Quote:
I chose to be a Dark Elf, I am spending points on Archery and Sneak at the moment, although I am only level 7 right now. The game is pretty fun, only regret so far is I saved and bought a horse and sadly it was killed rather quickly. I thought it might come back like they do in Red Dead Redemption but so far it has not.
nice choice, dark elves are my second fave after nords.

and yeah horses are weak and way too costly for what you get, although money isn't really too hard to come by.

A good horse can be acquired, ill stick it in a spoiler tag though, in case you want to find this out yourself

Spoiler! (click here to reveal)
Old 02-08-2013, 07:45 PM   #8
II Mortis II

Mortis x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase x360a Representer   Word of Mouth
Quote:
The dark elf is a good choice. A very versatile class that can be good in both melee and magic combat. Don't forget that each of your hands can hold an item, so you can approach a situation with a sword in 1 hand and a spell in the other. Also don't disregard spell scrolls especially at lower levels as they can really help deal with those tricky enemies and you don't need loads of mana to use them.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:06 PM   #9
bengals84

Bengals84's Gamercard
Quote:
nice choice, dark elves are my second fave after nords.

and yeah horses are weak and way too costly for what you get, although money isn't really too hard to come by.

A good horse can be acquired, ill stick it in a spoiler tag though, in case you want to find this out yourself

Spoiler! (click here to reveal)
Thanks I had to look at the spoiler Lol, I will be on the lookout for him.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:08 PM   #10
ChickinOnaChain

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
I never looked to see what race could do what but picked th one that mostly look like a human...the nord.

ChickinOnaChain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:09 PM   #11
Slaughter.
Wot r u casul??!??

Cpt Slaugh7er's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Bronze   2,500 Posts   Subscriber - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
If you want to be a Mage, pick High Elf. If you want to be an archer, pick Wood Elf. If you want to be a warrior, pick Nord/ Imperial/ Orc. If you want to sneak around, pick Khajiit. If you want to breathe underwater and be immune to diseases from the start, pick Argonian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggD View Post
I think Halo: Reach is the best Halo game and should be played by everyone.

Slaughter. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:29 PM   #12
buggss

I tend to go with the races with abilities you can't get elsewhere or not for a very long time. The Imperial's ability to calm a situation has saved me a few very long reloads by calming an important enemy at the right time. The nord's shout isn't much use and the frost resist is easily reproduced fairly early on.

***Possible spoiler***

As for class it's purely a roleplay thing, you're completely capable or switching between any and all classes simply by changing clothing/armour, jewellery and weapons and it's even easier now with the respec at the end of dragonborn. I tend to make sure I keep a couple of magic schools, a weapon type and an armour type maintained with lvling up and that's always worked for me.
buggss is offline   Reply With Quote