PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion > Television
Subscribe    Donate

Old 02-12-2013, 01:48 AM   #1
THE DEADLY DOG
Maximum Clubs Guide Dog

Send a message via AIM to THE DEADLY DOG Send a message via MSN to THE DEADLY DOG Send a message via Skype™ to THE DEADLY DOG

THE DEADLY DOG's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Xbox One Maximum Clubs Novice   Submit - Diamond   Community Gaming - Bronze   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 2   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 1   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Achievement Guide - Gold   Road Map - Gold   Staff - Maximum Clubs Director   Micro Guide - Gold   Subscriber - Bronze   Staff Club - * Clueless *
Total Awards: 17 (more» ...)
Star Trek TNG Purchasing Question

I'm looking to make the plunge into an entire collection of Star Trek TNG. I'm wondering if anyone has purchased collector's editions, knows of a good collector's edition, ect.

I'm currently looking at this one from Amazon:
Amazon.com: Star Trek: The Next Generation - Complete Series: Movies & TV Amazon.com: Star Trek: The Next Generation - Complete Series: Movies & TV

But there is such a wide aray of reviews it scares me--especially for the amount of money. I am a Prime member and returns are a given if something is even slightly wrong, but I'm wondering if anyone has made a purchase of a similar stature and is really pleased with what they've gotten.
THE DEADLY DOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:22 AM   #3
Majica8

Send a message via MSN to Majica8

Th3 Majica's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Regardless of the HD remastering I wouldn't even touch the one you posted OP. For that price I would expect a much better storgae/case/box etc. Most of the lower star reviews mention the cheap packaging, and when buying DVDs/Blu-rays that kind of thing is fairly important imo.

If you don't care about the packaging or the HD release, then go for it if you want it. If you purchase it direct from Amazon then there is no danger of it being a bootleg, and if the discs don't work like some of the reviewers have had problems with then getting a replacement will be easy. Only you know if you are willing to spend over $200 on this collection, and if it would be worth it for you though.

1000G/100%
MW2 - A's Creed - Pure - SC Conviction - CoD 4 - Lego Batman - Res Evil 5 - Trials - BFBC 2 - A's Creed 2 - Harm's Way - Crash Course - Alone in the Dark - Sniper GW - Kingdom for Keflings - World of Keflings - Deus Ex: HR - MW3 - Need for Speed: HP - Brink - Trials Evo - HAWX 2 - Mass Effect 3 - Op Flash DR - Minecraft - FEAR 3 - SSX - RSV2 - You're In The Movies - Halo Reach - Res Evil 6 - Dead Space 2 - Dead Space 3 - Dishonored - FarCry 3
Majica8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:44 AM   #4
THE DEADLY DOG
Maximum Clubs Guide Dog

Send a message via AIM to THE DEADLY DOG Send a message via MSN to THE DEADLY DOG Send a message via Skype™ to THE DEADLY DOG

Awards Showcase Xbox One Maximum Clubs Novice   Submit - Diamond   Community Gaming - Bronze   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 2   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 1   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Achievement Guide - Gold   Road Map - Gold   Staff - Maximum Clubs Director   Micro Guide - Gold   Subscriber - Bronze   Staff Club - * Clueless *
So would you advise BluRay for grabbing TNG? I mean just looking at these videos the quality is unbelievable.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:50 PM   #5
Majica8

Th3 Majica's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DEADLY DOG View Post
So would you advise BluRay for grabbing TNG? I mean just looking at these videos the quality is unbelievable.
If those videos are anything to go by, then yes I would.

Honestly I'm not actually a fan of Star Trek, I was just offering my opinion as an avid DVD/BD collector. If I was a fan though I would be impressed by the remastering clips and would certainly hold out for the blu-rays.

1000G/100%
MW2 - A's Creed - Pure - SC Conviction - CoD 4 - Lego Batman - Res Evil 5 - Trials - BFBC 2 - A's Creed 2 - Harm's Way - Crash Course - Alone in the Dark - Sniper GW - Kingdom for Keflings - World of Keflings - Deus Ex: HR - MW3 - Need for Speed: HP - Brink - Trials Evo - HAWX 2 - Mass Effect 3 - Op Flash DR - Minecraft - FEAR 3 - SSX - RSV2 - You're In The Movies - Halo Reach - Res Evil 6 - Dead Space 2 - Dead Space 3 - Dishonored - FarCry 3
Old 02-13-2013, 12:17 AM   #6
THE DEADLY DOG
Maximum Clubs Guide Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majica8 View Post
If those videos are anything to go by, then yes I would.

Honestly I'm not actually a fan of Star Trek, I was just offering my opinion as an avid DVD/BD collector. If I was a fan though I would be impressed by the remastering clips and would certainly hold out for the blu-rays.
Yeah the more I research the more I am thinking of just getting the Blu-ray seasons.

I'm wondering now if I should stick with my PS3 to play Blu-Rays or grab a blu-ray player.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:01 AM   #7
Majica8

Th3 Majica's Gamercard

PS3 is still one of the better blu-ray players you can get so I wouldn't bother getting a stand-alone player if I were you. I guess you could consider it if you already use your PS3 a lot and wan't to give it a rest sometimes. Otherwise save the money/buy something else. I expect the blu-ray collection of TNG will be quite a bit more than that DVD set anyway.

1000G/100%
Old 02-13-2013, 01:22 PM   #8
THE DEADLY DOG
Maximum Clubs Guide Dog

Quote:
PS3 is still one of the better blu-ray players you can get so I wouldn't bother getting a stand-alone player if I were you. I guess you could consider it if you already use your PS3 a lot and wan't to give it a rest sometimes. Otherwise save the money/buy something else. I expect the blu-ray collection of TNG will be quite a bit more than that DVD set anyway.
Sounds good mate. Thanks for the help. Appears I'm going to buy them one season at a time as they come out and simply use my PS3 which will be revived once The Last of Us comes out in April.

Again thanks for the help.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:28 AM   #9
Yeffrey
Banned User

Just so you guys know, with the workload of remastering all those episodes, Paramount contracted out the even numbered seasons while they did the odd numbered ones themselves. There is a noticeable difference in the quality of the remastered seasons 1 and 2. The Paramount ones are the better looking ones. They did this so they could get them out faster to market.

Of course if you are a TNG nerd like I am, you don't need to buy them, you already have them menorized .
Yeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:48 AM   #10
THE DEADLY DOG
Maximum Clubs Guide Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeffrey View Post
Just so you guys know, with the workload of remastering all those episodes, Paramount contracted out the even numbered seasons while they did the odd numbered ones themselves. There is a noticeable difference in the quality of the remastered seasons 1 and 2. The Paramount ones are the better looking ones. They did this so they could get them out faster to market.

Of course if you are a TNG nerd like I am, you don't need to buy them, you already have them menorized .
Mm.. I heard as much. Good thing Season 3 is being done by CBS then.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:58 AM   #12
THE DEADLY DOG
Maximum Clubs Guide Dog

Well those two videos just made my 5 hours of sleep absolutely worth it haha!

Can't wait to pick up the new season this summer.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:17 AM   #14
THE DEADLY DOG
Maximum Clubs Guide Dog

Ocean why do you post this good stuff? I have the first season, have the second in my amazon cart and the third is in my wishlist.

This will make me broke haha.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:17 AM   #15
Majica8

Th3 Majica's Gamercard

Dammit. I've started watching TNG from the start and I'm loving it, now I want all these blu-rays but no way I can afford them >_<

1000G/100%
Old 08-01-2013, 02:44 PM   #16
THE DEADLY DOG
Maximum Clubs Guide Dog

Quote:
Dammit. I've started watching TNG from the start and I'm loving it, now I want all these blu-rays but no way I can afford them >_<
That's the sad truth about it, they know they can get an arm and a leg for them so they do so.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:39 AM   #17
Majica8

Th3 Majica's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DEADLY DOG View Post
That's the sad truth about it, they know they can get an arm and a leg for them so they do so.
I know. And I know they would have a put a hell of a lot of work into these blu-rays, but I still think they overcharge. People will pay it though, and as long as they will they will keep charging a lot. I'm sure they will come down in price eventually, I'll just have to wait

1000G/100%
Old 03-08-2014, 01:24 AM   #18
OceanH

Ocean H's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   Over Achiever - Bronze
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Old 03-11-2014, 09:45 AM   #19
THE DEADLY DOG
Maximum Clubs Guide Dog

Can't wait!! Love the expansion of Data's role in the series by this season. Only took them a ton of episodes to do it lol.