PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > RPG > Fallout: New Vegas
Subscribe    Donate

Old 02-17-2013, 10:23 PM   #1
Hansathan

Hansathan's Gamercard
"D-pad" glitch?

I don't know what else to call this glitch/freeze, but I have spent the last half hour looking through freeze/glitch threads and haven't found much help. I am about 24 hours into the game, and currently in Vault 22. I loaded my game today and it froze as soon as I hit a hot keyed weapon button on the d pad. First time anything like this had happened to me, so I reloaded and tried again.Same result. I loaded a save about 20 minutes prior to that and it seemed to work for a few minutes, then completely froze again. This is very disheartening as I am really enjoying the game so far. Any suggestions? I did clear my cache too and that didn't work.

Hans(nickname) + Jonathan("real" name) = Hansathan
Hansathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:24 PM   #2
WalterWhite

Awards Showcase Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze   2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansathan View Post
I don't know what else to call this glitch/freeze, but I have spent the last half hour looking through freeze/glitch threads and haven't found much help. I am about 24 hours into the game, and currently in Vault 22. I loaded my game today and it froze as soon as I hit a hot keyed weapon button on the d pad. First time anything like this had happened to me, so I reloaded and tried again.Same result. I loaded a save about 20 minutes prior to that and it seemed to work for a few minutes, then completely froze again. This is very disheartening as I am really enjoying the game so far. Any suggestions? I did clear my cache too and that didn't work.
Delete and redownload the title update (and any DLC), which appears in the game's save file. Then do the cache clear again. I had issues with this game too but it was mostly when it released. In addition to that, another thing to try if that doesn't work: As soon as you load the save that is problematic, fast travel and create a new save in a new slot and try going from there. That worked for me more than a few times in this situation.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:43 AM   #3
Hansathan

Hansathan's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterWhite View Post
Delete and redownload the title update (and any DLC), which appears in the game's save file. Then do the cache clear again. I had issues with this game too but it was mostly when it released. In addition to that, another thing to try if that doesn't work: As soon as you load the save that is problematic, fast travel and create a new save in a new slot and try going from there. That worked for me more than a few times in this situation.
Wow, thanks for the tips, buddy! You always help me out in a pinch haha. I will try this tomorrow evening when I get on again and let you know if it worked then.

EDIT: I give up. Nothing works, my game must be riddled with the random bug I read about that some people get after 15 hours. I deleted the current patch, all DLC, and saves from the last few hours before my game broke. Tried it. No avail. Reinstalled the patch and DLC (I have ultimate edition), loaded save, fast traveled, and saved in a new spot. Same problem, although now it's freezing in the menu too, not just when I hit a d pad button. Such a shame. I don't know that I'll purchase another Bethesda/Obsidian product until shit like this doesn't happen anymore.

Last edited by Hansathan; 02-19-2013 at 10:50 AM.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:08 AM   #4
WOLFkraut

WOLFkraut's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
The freezing is really an engine/resource issue. It can happen on PC, too, usually from a corrupted save, an engine error or a lack of system resources. There's not much you can do, besides try a brand new save or deleting the DLCs. You could just have a bad disc, too. Do you have the game installed?

Obsidian didn't really cause it as they were just working with what Bethesda gave them and Bethesda just don't want to invest in a truly new engine.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:50 AM   #5
jedi420j

jedi420j's Gamercard
I was gonna make a thread to find out if the Ultimate Edition was any less glitchy than playing the DLC off the hard drive.. sounds like it's more of the same in terms of bugs..

Such a shame as the game is amazing but runs extremely unstable. I have deleted and re-downloaded all my DLC, deleted all my saves, installed, deleted and then re-installed the game itself, cleared the cache and still my game will lock up every hour or so, so frustrating.
jedi420j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:16 PM   #6
Hansathan

Hansathan's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLFkraut View Post
The freezing is really an engine/resource issue. It can happen on PC, too, usually from a corrupted save, an engine error or a lack of system resources. There's not much you can do, besides try a brand new save or deleting the DLCs. You could just have a bad disc, too. Do you have the game installed?

Obsidian didn't really cause it as they were just working with what Bethesda gave them and Bethesda just don't want to invest in a truly new engine.
I did delete the DLCs, old saves, and the patch, but then I reinstalled it before I tried again. Maybe I should delete them and try again. Either way, I'm just so disappointed at this point I don't even feel like trying, cuz I know how annoyed I'll become if it doesn't work. Thanks for the tip though.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:31 AM   #7
WalterWhite

That's too bad, it seems like you've tried everything. I wonder if it has to do with the Ultimate Edition somehow, but that's just a wild guess. I hope not because that's the version of the game I have now. I traded my original copy for that version after I found it for ten bucks. When New Vegas originally released I also had bad freezing problems, so much so that I quit and traded it in and didn't play it again until after the second DLC released. I suppose you could start a new game, but that's hardly a consolation and you'd probably lose your mind if it happened again.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:55 AM   #8
Cann0nSen5ei

Cann0nSen5ei's Gamercard
I play on the Ultimate Edition and only experience the occasional loading freeze.

Hansasthan, you don't overwrite saves, do you? that is something that can break saves in Bethesda games.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:56 PM   #9
Hansathan

Hansathan's Gamercard
Quote:
That's too bad, it seems like you've tried everything. I wonder if it has to do with the Ultimate Edition somehow, but that's just a wild guess. I hope not because that's the version of the game I have now. I traded my original copy for that version after I found it for ten bucks. When New Vegas originally released I also had bad freezing problems, so much so that I quit and traded it in and didn't play it again until after the second DLC released. I suppose you could start a new game, but that's hardly a consolation and you'd probably lose your mind if it happened again.
Yeah the thought of it happening again is what's keepin me from starting a new game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cann0nSen5ei View Post
I play on the Ultimate Edition and only experience the occasional loading freeze.

Hansasthan, you don't overwrite saves, do you? that is something that can break saves in Bethesda games.
I do overwrite saves cuz I save like a mofo (I like to experiment and be able to reload a recent save). First time I'm hearing that theory. Strange.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:53 PM   #10
WalterWhite

Since we can't seem to help you Hans I'm going to take this in another direction. You have only yourself to blame, it's all your fault. You broke an otherwise, ::ahem:: perfect game.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:35 PM   #11
Cann0nSen5ei

Cann0nSen5ei's Gamercard
Quote:
I do overwrite saves cuz I save like a mofo (I like to experiment and be able to reload a recent save). First time I'm hearing that theory. Strange.
Yeah, instead of the overwrite option deleting the old save, it just puts the new data on top of the old data; You'll eventually have a big, clunky, glitchy save file.

Always delete the old saves manually, never overwrite saves, especially in Bethesda games.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:08 AM   #12
Hansathan

Hansathan's Gamercard
Quote:
Since we can't seem to help you Hans I'm going to take this in another direction. You have only yourself to blame, it's all your fault. You broke an otherwise, ::ahem:: perfect game.
Haha well maybe your blaming me worked somehow, cuz I fixed it today (for now at least)! In case anyone else has the Ultimate Edition and runs into similar problems, here is what I did. Deleted ALL the DLC (as per WalterWhite's info) and then clear your cache. Then i transferred a save from before the problem from my hard drive to the cloud. Loaded that new save and waited for 7 in-game days (I read this can help reset "the game world"). Played for 2-3 hours with no problems. Hope this is a permanent fix! I'll just download the DLCs one at a time once I beat the regular game. Thanks!

Quote:
Yeah, instead of the overwrite option deleting the old save, it just puts the new data on top of the old data; You'll eventually have a big, clunky, glitchy save file.

Always delete the old saves manually, never overwrite saves, especially in Bethesda games.
I took your advice once I got it working again, and I have been deleting old saves and making new ones. Thanks for the tip. That does make a lot of sense.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:02 PM   #13
WOLFkraut

WOLFkraut's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
I did delete the DLCs, old saves, and the patch, but then I reinstalled it before I tried again. Maybe I should delete them and try again. Either way, I'm just so disappointed at this point I don't even feel like trying, cuz I know how annoyed I'll become if it doesn't work. Thanks for the tip though.
The reason I say to delete the DLCs and NOT re-install all of them is because they add more resources which the game has to load and this can bog it down. Some of the patches actually removed NPCs and items from the game world just to make room for the new DLC content.

Quote:
The Ultimate Edition is just vanilla New Vegas with all the DLC included on a second disc, so in theory it shouldn't make any difference.

I had terrible luck, I bought the game on launch day and it froze that night when I got to Novac, lol. I was somewhat pissed because Fallout 3 had become nearly unplayable for me because of freezing. However, I played through it without much more freezing (that I remember) and only encountered a few bugs, like having Moto-Runners helmet stuck in my inventory and marked as a quest item and having a minor side-quest break.

Quote:

This is something I never thought of, good tip! I've learned from playing on PC to never overwrite a save, but it didn't occur to me that this could cause freezing on Xbox.

Quote:
Haha well maybe your blaming me worked somehow, cuz I fixed it today (for now at least)! In case anyone else has the Ultimate Edition and runs into similar problems, here is what I did. Deleted ALL the DLC (as per WalterWhite's info) and then clear your cache. Then i transferred a save from before the problem from my hard drive to the cloud. Loaded that new save and waited for 7 in-game days (I read this can help reset "the game world"). Played for 2-3 hours with no problems. Hope this is a permanent fix! I'll just download the DLCs one at a time once I beat the regular game. Thanks!

I took your advice once I got it working again, and I have been deleting old saves and making new ones. Thanks for the tip. That does make a lot of sense.
Glad you got it fixed! Enjoy the Mojave.