Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Main Hub > Announcements
Subscribe    Donate

Old 02-22-2013, 09:45 AM   #1
jackanape
Duchess Gummybuns

jackanape's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - Shiftie   The Sports Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - Grifter Reborn   Staff Club - rekikire   Staff Club - Shinobi273   Staff - Super Moderator   Road Map - Platinum   A+ Thread Award   Green Thumb - Bronze   Micro Guide - Bronze   CABS Beta Tester   Staff Club - TemporalWizard
Total Awards: 38 (more» ...)
Subscriber Spotlight - February 2013

Hello there sports fans - yes, it's that time of month again where we draw back the imposing veil of secrecy (patent pending) on one of our lovely site subscribers and/or staff.

Luckily though this months candidate fits into both categories, saving me the need to carry out a hideous Frankenstein style experiement where I have to surgically attach various parts in order to be satisfied with the end product. In laymans terms that means less wear and tear on scalpels, less bickering with my hunchbacked assistant and a higher standard of living amongst the local townsfolk.

I doubt the torch and pitchfork sales community will thank me though, but a minor economic hit is just one of those things. AMIRITE?!

Anyway, our worthy Spotlightee (my word - claimed it) is none other than forum ninja and all around badass Shinobi273. So grab yourself a comfy chair and let his words of wisdom wash over your soul like a calming river.

What first brought you to x360a, and then what made you stick around and subscribe?
According to the search, I first came for help with LEGO Star Wars II in December 2006 but stayed around for Forza Motorsport 2, Rainbow Six Vegas, and Marvel Ultimate Alliance. I’m not sure when I started to subscribe but I wanted to help out the site that I was spending so much time on.

How did you come up with your gamertag?
Shinobi273 is a fairly old name I would use for Counter Strike 1.5. I prefer stealth approaches so I went with shinobi. The number was something I could remember because it is used often in chemisty.

Is the 360 your only current console? What others have sharpened your gaming skills over the years?
The 360 is the only one I use, I have a Wii as well. I started out with a SNES and had an N64 as well. After Nintendo dropped out, the Xbox was a natural choice. Nothing against Sony really but I have trouble switching button layouts between games so going between physical controllers is beyond me.

What is your gaming setup?
TV, Xbox360, Kinect, Wii, and couch.

When you're picking the next game to grace your console, do you go for game play or achievements first?
Both, poor gameplay or achievements and I’m not interested. I have a limited budget of money and time and can’t be bothered if a game is weak in either.

Everyone has a 360 game they can't get enough of, what’s yours?
I suppose it would be Magic: The Gathering – Duels of the Planeswalkers. I have played every release on XBLA and every DLC except the deck expansions. I prefer blue decks to control the pace of the game. My favorite deck in 2013 is Crosswinds which with a proper combination of cards (there are several) allows you to prevent it from being your opponent’s turn for the duration of the game.

And the game that makes you scream?
Geometry Wars Evolved, I cannot get 1,000,000 without dying. The little pink squares, green squares, snakes, black holes, red chargers… they are all merciless in their pursuit. I tried for months and will probably go back to it for more.

What achievement(s) are you most proud of?
Armored Core 4’s Mission Rank SS was a nice achievement, requiring an S rank every mission in the game. Tetris Evolution’s Score Gold Medal and Hexic HD’s Grand Pearl Pooh-Bah are also proud moments.

We all know gaming goes on till the early morning. What do you eat and drink to keep the reflexes sharp all night?
Just Diet Pepsi, it has the sweetness that I like. Other drinks are too sweet or not sweet enough, I’ll leave it at that.

You've played through a lot of games during that time. Out of all of the games you played, which was your favorite?
Rainbow Six Vegas games are a nice favorite, I love t-hunting. They have great customization; I usually go with medium/light armor, flashbangs, smoke, and silenced MTAR with laser sight. My signature last enemy move is to flashbang him and take out my USP (with laser sight) for a point blank execution.

Well, there has to be a few games that you didn't like. Which ones were the worst?
Fighting games are not something I do well at. My technique is button mash until the match is over.

Everyone has their games that they just struggle with. Which games did your head in?
Texas Hold’em has an achievement Luck of the Draw that requires that you get every type of hand from high card to royal flush. It was a nice grind to get that one to pop. It was a great excuse to learn some basic hold’em poker playing.

Not every game with quick points is easy to complete. Are there any games that you are giving up on?
Kameo: Elements of Power, it’s impossible to get an A Ranking in those levels. Gears of War Seriously will probably never get done since the spawns are so limited.

What was the last thing you purchased on the arcade? Was it worth it?
The last thing I bought was Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 and I love it.

Which game(s) are you most eagerly awaiting?
Star Wars 1313 looked like it could be awesome. For games with dates, I would say Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell: Blacklist.

If you were Admin of the site for a day, what would you do?!
If I could do anything at all regardless of how possible or realistic, I would get Microsoft to let me play test the new xbox and the likely exclusive Bungie launch title.

Any final comments?
Be sure to check out my Staff Challenge: Shinobi273's Shadow Warrior to see if you have what it takes to be a ghost. (Editors note: the Staff Challenges are en route soon - but I thought a little tease would be awesome.)

Last edited by jackanape; 02-22-2013 at 12:02 PM.
jackanape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:16 AM   #2
Nozza XBA

SnozzyBear's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Submit - Diamond   GRID 2 Award   Staff Club - Nozza x360a   Achievement Guide - Platinum   Road Map - Platinum   Micro Guide - Silver   Over Achiever - Silver   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   XBA Promoter   Donator - Level 3   A+ Thread Award
Total Awards: 14 (more» ...)
But we didn't find out his real name!?!

Nice interview as always. I have to agree on the Kameo answer thought. Getting A in some of those missions was too hard.

PS: That final note and link to the challenge won't work for none staff members.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:50 AM   #3
jackanape
Duchess Gummybuns

jackanape's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - Shiftie   The Sports Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - Grifter Reborn   Staff Club - rekikire   Staff Club - Shinobi273   Staff - Super Moderator   Road Map - Platinum   A+ Thread Award   Green Thumb - Bronze   Micro Guide - Bronze   CABS Beta Tester   Staff Club - TemporalWizard
Total Awards: 38 (more» ...)
I know the link doesn't work yet - ha ha. That's why I put in the note. Once the clubs are active it will work just fine though, boo yah!

Also, I've just realised that he skipped the first question about indroducing himself. If he comes back in here and gives me an answer then I shall post it up, ha!

Last edited by jackanape; 02-22-2013 at 12:01 PM.
jackanape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:45 AM   #4
Skorpion XBA
さそり XBA

Skorpion XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 3   2,500 Posts   I Can Read! NTSC-J Challenge Club - Tier 1   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Gold   Road Map - Gold   Green Thumb - Platinum   Staff Club - Tyger7   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   Achievement Guide - Silver
Total Awards: 34 (more» ...)
Congrats Shinobi! I'm also very curious about these Staff Challenges...I can't wait to see what unfolds.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:37 PM   #5
Kairi
Guide and Award Staff

Send a message via Skype™ to Kairi

Kairi x360's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Gold   Best of XBLA Challenge Club - Tier 1   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Silver   Staff - Guide Team   Achievement Guide - Silver   Road Map - Silver   CABS Beta Tester   Green Thumb - Bronze   Referrals - Bronze
Total Awards: 21 (more» ...)
Congratulations Shinobi! I gave up trying to complete Kameo as well! Even though I really liked that game, those A rankings are nearly impossible and a ridiculously high score is needed for those! =/

Take everything away from me, silent angel.
Kairi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:36 PM   #6
Judge Bergan
The Judge

Judge Bergan's Gamercard

Awards Showcase CABS Beta Tester   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   Green Thumb - Silver   Family Corner Challenge Club - Tier 1   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Achievement Guide - Silver   XBA Promoter   Road Map - Silver   Submit - Diamond   Over Achiever - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 11 (more» ...)
Good read, I also enjoy Magic on XBLA so we have that in common :P.

Microsoft Xbox MVP 2014

Xbox Ambassador - Level 14
Writer for Xboxgamer.me
Judge Bergan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:42 PM   #7
Grifter Reborn

Send a message via Skype™ to Grifter Reborn

Grifter x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Emerald   Staff - Moderator   CABS Beta Tester   Over Achiever - Bronze   2,500 Posts   Staff Club - Grifter Reborn   x360a Representer   Road Map - Bronze   A+ Thread Award
Total Awards: 9 (more» ...)
Shinobi is a ninja, one day BAM!, he's on my friend's list from nowhere. LoL

Seriously, nice spotlight. I still haven't purchased the 2013 Magic yet -.- but I still have Magic: The Gathering (DotP) along with Rainbow Six Vegas 2, if you fancy something besides Mass Effect 3 sometime. Love terrorist hunting!

"Shh. Be very, very quiet. I'm hunting terrorists. <insert Elmer Fudd laugh here>"

Change is inevitable.

Last edited by Grifter Reborn; 02-22-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Grifter Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:17 PM   #8
Gackt
Banned User

Awards Showcase Staff Club - Gackt   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Gold   SOTF Winner   GSL 8 Winners   The Helping Hand   Bright Idea   Word of Mouth   Donator - Level 1   Submit - Bronze   Artist of the Month
Total Awards: 15 (more» ...)
Congrats on the spotlight dude
Good interview.
Gackt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:56 PM   #9
DEG23
Wanderlusting

DEG23 x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - DEG23   Donator - Level 5   CABS Beta Tester   Staff - Moderator   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Staff Club - Rajeanero   GRID 2 Award   Staff Club - Grifter Reborn   Staff Club - TemporalWizard   Staff Club - Minty   Staff Club - Nozza x360a   Staff Club - Shinobi273
Total Awards: 23 (more» ...)
I don't think i've met anyone who has their own signature move to end a T-Hunt game

Nice interview Shinobi
DEG23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:22 PM   #10
Jakez123
That's so cliché

Jakez123's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Bronze   RPG!!! Challenge Club - Tier 3   Road Map - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Subscriber - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   2,500 Posts   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Over Achiever - Gold   Toilet Bowl Challenge Club - Tier 1   Three Lives Remaining - Winner   Staff Club - * Clueless *
Total Awards: 18 (more» ...)
took me a minute to realise 273 is the temperature in kelvin at 0 degrees centigrade.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:59 PM   #11
Capn Doug
Community Completionist

Capn Doug XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase The Sports Challenge Club - Tier 1   Arcade Crazy - Platinum   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 1   Best of XBLA Challenge Club - Tier 2   Off to the Races Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - Shiftie   Staff Club - Nozza x360a   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 3   I Can Read! NTSC-J Challenge Club - Tier 3   Community Gaming - Gold   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 2   Scratch the SURFACE Challenge Club - Tier 2
Total Awards: 47 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakez123 View Post
took me a minute to realise 273 is the temperature in kelvin at 0 degrees centigrade.

Thank you. I was about to pull out the periodic table to see just what isotope was 273. It would have to something that mankind willed into existence...
Old 02-22-2013, 11:10 PM   #12
Corrupt.
Damn you, Walt Whitman!

Corrupt XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase The Sports Challenge Club - Tier 1   Off to the Races Challenge Club - Tier 1   Achievement Guide - Emerald   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Gold   Toilet Bowl Challenge Club - Tier 2   Staff - Guide Team   Green Thumb - Gold   Staff Club - TemporalWizard   Staff Club - Tyger7
Total Awards: 44 (more» ...)
Staff challenges, I like where this is going. I feel we should speculate about his name. I think it is probably Colin. Or maybe Augustus.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:00 AM   #13
StayonTarget
The Sum of All Zeroes

Send a message via Skype™ to StayonTarget

TheStayonTarget's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Emerald   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Gold   Donator - Level 2   CABS Beta Tester   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 1   Micro Guide - Platinum   Subscriber - Bronze   GRID 2 Award   Staff Club - Minty
Total Awards: 19 (more» ...)
Good interview as usual Jack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggD View Post
Like Barad. That damn spammer.
StayonTarget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:07 AM   #14
HadMatters13
Mod/Maximum Clubs' Jester

Send a message via Skype™ to HadMatters13

Madhatters13's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff - Moderator   CABS Beta Tester   Over Achiever - Bronze   Staff Club - Madhatters13   XBA Promoter   Donator - Level 4   1,000 Posts   Staff - Maximum Clubs Director   Forza 3 Subscribers Tournament- Winner   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   GSL 8 Winners   Castle Crashers Subscribers Tourn. - Second Place
Total Awards: 12 (more» ...)
A very interesting read as always. I'm with you on your love for T-hunting. I still think that series brags gaming's best enemy reactions to being flashbanged. That last terrorist though. Poor guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Doug View Post
Thank you. I was about to pull out the periodic table to see just what isotope was 273. It would have to something that mankind willed into existence...
I was about to do the same thing myself. Although on the hunt for an atomic mass rather than proton number.

~ Thanks to troy for the innocent looking hamster! ~
~ I'm Radioactive! Radioactive! || Shiny orange MCD awards! ~
~ Swashbucklin' Diplomas for all || Xbox One Points Breakdown || Tales from the Jester's tower ~
HadMatters13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:48 AM   #15
Capn Doug
Community Completionist

Capn Doug XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase The Sports Challenge Club - Tier 1   Arcade Crazy - Platinum   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 1   Best of XBLA Challenge Club - Tier 2   Off to the Races Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - Shiftie   Staff Club - Nozza x360a   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 3   I Can Read! NTSC-J Challenge Club - Tier 3   Community Gaming - Gold   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 2   Scratch the SURFACE Challenge Club - Tier 2
Total Awards: 47 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatters13 View Post
I was about to do the same thing myself. Although on the hunt for an atomic mass rather than proton number.
I was originally thinking it was an isotope of plutonium, but Uranium is only in the 230's so that didn't make sense.

Not only do these interviews give us valuable insight into our fellow community members, but they also spur independant research.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:22 AM   #16
Shinobi273
Ninja Mod MKII

Shinobi273's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - AOS Puck   Staff Club - Shinobi273   5,000 Posts   Staff - Moderator   Submit - Silver   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 6 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackanape View Post
I know the link doesn't work yet - ha ha. That's why I put in the note. Once the clubs are active it will work just fine though, boo yah!
I thought it was a nice plug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackanape View Post
Also, I've just realised that he skipped the first question about indroducing himself. If he comes back in here and gives me an answer then I shall post it up, ha!
Quote:
Welcome to the spotlight! Introduce yourself and tell us a little bit about yourself.
Is not a question.

Grifter! Maybe we can do the weekly challenge first.

Also, 273 Kelvin is the triple point of water.

T-hunts! Yes. The signature move is something one needs. How else would you end a match? Just shoot at them like the others?

Last edited by Shinobi273; 02-23-2013 at 01:30 AM.
Shinobi273 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:43 AM   #17
TemporalWizard
Guide Team

TemporalWizard's Gamercard

Awards Showcase VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Silver   Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - troy0891   Best of XBLA Challenge Club - Tier 1   CABS Beta Tester   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Submit - Gold   1,000 Posts   Road Map - Bronze
Total Awards: 19 (more» ...)
I also use the button mash technique for fighting games.

Great interview!
Old 02-23-2013, 05:08 PM   #18
Scotty
Shut up and Kiss Me!!

Scotty x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase The Mighty Duck Face   The Mighty Duck Face   Achievement Guide - Silver   Donator - Level 4   Green Thumb - Silver   Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 1   CABS Beta Tester   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   x360a Representer   Subscriber - Bronze   Road Map - Gold   A+ Thread Award
Total Awards: 17 (more» ...)
nice interview! i dont think we've ever actually spoke, but a great read none the less.

i wonder what the staff challenges are gonna be. sounds interesting...