PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Adventure > Tomb Raider
Subscribe    Donate

Old 02-25-2013, 05:36 PM   #1
WalterWhite

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
IGN Review

A good sign when a review gets put up early these days. Looks great, minus the multiplayer of course which everyone is reporting as pretty standard or downright awful.

Destructoid: 8.5/10
Eurogamer: 8/10
Game Informer: 9.25
Games Radar: 4.5/5 Stars
Gamespot: 8.5
Gametrailers: 8.5
IGN: 9.1
Kotaku: Yes. (I hate their review system.)
N4G: 8.5
Xbox 360a: 75

There's nothing too terribly spoilery in this video review but if you're a die hard purist of the series there's enough hints that you might want to skip it.

Last edited by WalterWhite; 02-26-2013 at 05:01 PM.
WalterWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:48 PM   #2
WhiteWolfDamo

whitewolfdamo's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterWhite View Post
A good sign when a review gets put up early these days. Looks great, minus the multiplayer of course.

Final Score: 9.1
It is nice, and reassuring to see the reviews coming up early, I'm looking at you colonial marines, but non of them are overly detailed on things like mechanics, how xp works, is there a NG+ ect...
WhiteWolfDamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:24 PM   #3
Barad
Nice One Bungie

Send a message via Skype™ to Barad

Barad XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase The Sports Challenge Club - Tier 1   Community Gaming - Emerald   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Bronze   Road Map - Emerald   Achievement Guide - Platinum   Donator - Level 2   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer
Total Awards: 23 (more» ...)
Just makes me want to play this game even more..not that I follow IGN's reviews strongly.
Barad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:32 PM   #4
DjBatfink

dj batfink's Gamercard
9.1 by IGN....
It must be good, they normally give rubbish reviews and give low score's even on top game's...
Make me even more looking forward to this game.......
DjBatfink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:32 PM   #5
WalterWhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by B A R 4 D View Post
Just makes me want to play this game even more..not that I follow IGN's reviews strongly.
I agree. What I do like about IGN and Gamespot even more, is that they do video reviews. Alot of sites don't and I like seeing a good quality video with a mix of gameplay clips as opposed to watching forty-five minute play sessions that show entire levels of a game leaving nothing to the imagination. So they're good for that, the journalism on it's own, not so much.

Also, I probably should have just titled this "Reviews." I just didn't realize so many had hit until a minute after I posted. If anyone with the power to change the title of this is looking, feel free to fix the thread title.

Last edited by WalterWhite; 02-25-2013 at 08:05 PM.
WalterWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:01 PM   #6
SuNuS

SuNuS's Gamercard
This makes me quite happy. Not only were they confident enough to let these sites play without an embargo but we get the review over a week in advance. Bravo Crystal Dynamics!

It's getting to the point where I worry if there isn't a review up by the time a game releases. Mainly due to the terrible games we seem to get after an embargo. I never buy a game based on reviews alone but when there are no reviews at all, it makes me very suspicious.

Sig by Gackt
SuNuS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:20 PM   #7
ponypo2001

ponypo2001's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Silver   1,000 Posts   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Road Map - Bronze
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuNuS View Post
This makes me quite happy. Not only were they confident enough to let these sites play without an embargo but we get the review over a week in advance. Bravo Crystal Dynamics!

It's getting to the point where I worry if there isn't a review up by the time a game releases. Mainly due to the terrible games we seem to get after an embargo. I never buy a game based on reviews alone but when there are no reviews at all, it makes me very suspicious.
Very true. If a company embargo their reviews it just say's to me that they are worried their game is going to be panned. Tomb Raider seems to be scoring well so far which is good for the series. Just do away with the multiplayer next game and we're sorted.

ponypo2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:23 PM   #8
OmegaX06

It's an incredible game and I'm surprised the reviews aren't even higher. Haven't got a chance to try out the multiplayer but I'm not too interested in it...shame there are so many online cheevos

OmegaX06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:25 PM   #9
SuNuS

SuNuS's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponypo2001 View Post
Very true. If a company embargo their reviews it just say's to me that they are worried their game is going to be panned. Tomb Raider seems to be scoring well so far which is good for the series. Just do away with the multiplayer next game and we're sorted.
I could stomach tacked on bad multiplayer much easier if they would at least leave the achievements out of the equation. I don't mind multiplayer achievements if the multiplayer doesn't play like an afterthought.

However, I fully agree that some games are better off without the multiplayer component. It seems that publishers are forcing every developer to tack on a multiplayer these days.

Sig by Gackt
SuNuS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:45 PM   #10
xhunterrrr

Hunter XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase XBA Representer   Road Map - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Bronze   5,000 Posts   x360a Representer
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
I wasn't planning on picking up this game but after reading IGN's review, I am getting it now. I take their review's with a grain of salt, but this high of a score on a non-CoD/non-Halo game is a good sign.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:11 AM   #11
BiggD
21 Days Until Halo 2

BiggDope's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Xbox One Maximum Clubs Novice   Community Gaming - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Gold   Road Map - Gold   10,000 posts   Submit - Diamond   Micro Guide - Diamond   A+ Thread Award   CABS Beta Tester   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   Donator - Level 2   VGO Bronze Medal
Total Awards: 17 (more» ...)
Solid review. I want this game so badly, lol.

Combat looks pretty good, exploration/climbing looks awesome, raiding tombs looks really good.

Multiplayer looks like Max Payne (most recent MP I can relate it to) I probably won't play it after getting all the achievements.

Thanks to Xerofox for the stunningly suave signature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadZakpak
You would be Satan not to buy Halo: MCC if you have an Xbox One.
BiggD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:17 AM   #12
Barad
Nice One Bungie

Barad XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase The Sports Challenge Club - Tier 1   Community Gaming - Emerald   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Bronze   Road Map - Emerald   Achievement Guide - Platinum   Donator - Level 2   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer
Quote:
Originally Posted by The BiggD View Post
Multiplayer looks like Max Payne (most recent MP I can relate it to) I probably won't play it after getting all the achievements.
I feel the same way, Max Payne was actually fun while playing it though, hopefully the same here.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:29 AM   #13
BiggD
21 Days Until Halo 2

BiggDope's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Xbox One Maximum Clubs Novice   Community Gaming - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Gold   Road Map - Gold   10,000 posts   Submit - Diamond   Micro Guide - Diamond   A+ Thread Award   CABS Beta Tester   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   Donator - Level 2   VGO Bronze Medal
Quote:
I feel the same way, Max Payne was actually fun while playing it though, hopefully the same here.
Yeah I can't lie and say I didn't like Max Payne. It was actually fun for a while -before the grind to level 50 got kinda boring But if I remember correctly, no one ever complained when Rockstar decided to add a Multiplayer component to that game...

Quote:
Old 02-26-2013, 12:35 AM   #14
DEG23
Второй акт

DEG23 x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Silver   Staff Club - DEG23   Donator - Level 5   CABS Beta Tester   Staff - Moderator   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Staff Club - Rajeanero   GRID 2 Award   Staff Club - Grifter Reborn   Staff Club - TemporalWizard   Staff Club - Minty   Staff Club - Nozza x360a
Hmmm better than I thought. Maybe this game will turn out okay but i'm still relying on you guys to tell me if it's worth a purchase or not
Old 02-26-2013, 12:46 AM   #15
Barad
Nice One Bungie

Barad XBA's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEG23 View Post
Hmmm better than I thought. Maybe this game will turn out okay but i'm still relying on you guys to tell me if it's worth a purchase or not
It's worth a purchase.

Now pre-order the game and join us in the boosting!!
Old 02-26-2013, 01:17 AM   #16
BiggD
21 Days Until Halo 2

BiggDope's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEG23 View Post
[I]'m still relying on you guys to tell me if it's worth a purchase or not
Get it! It'll be a solid game

Quote:
Old 02-26-2013, 02:37 AM   #17
Fireball6554

Send a message via MSN to Fireball6554

LeBrony James's Gamercard
IGN giving a non-Call of Duty a 9.1!. I must be dead...

No, one more week and then I can finally play something good. I'm so bored.

Fireball6554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:31 AM   #18
BIG L RETURNS

BIG L RETURNS's Gamercard
Absolutely disgusted with what's happened. So they made a wonderful single player experience but managed to make 1/3 of the achievement list geared towards a multiplayer they FUCKING KNEW would be terrible. Hell, the only community who will be playing on the servers in the coming 2-3 months will be boosters.

Before all the completionists get too excited, just remember, you have to prestige 3 times in the shitty multiplayer to get the full 1000G. Have fun boosting for the next 45 hours my fellow achievement hunters.

THIS is the perfect example of why some people lose interest in a game that should completely be given praise.

BIG L RETURNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:28 AM   #19
ponypo2001

ponypo2001's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Silver   1,000 Posts   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Road Map - Bronze
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG L RETURNS View Post
Absolutely disgusted with what's happened. So they made a wonderful single player experience but managed to make 1/3 of the achievement list geared towards a multiplayer they FUCKING KNEW would be terrible. Hell, the only community who will be playing on the servers in the coming 2-3 months will be boosters.

Before all the completionists get too excited, just remember, you have to prestige 3 times in the shitty multiplayer to get the full 1000G. Have fun boosting for the next 45 hours my fellow achievement hunters.

THIS is the perfect example of why some people lose interest in a game that should completely be given praise.
I love my completions the same as the next guy, but seriously, I couldn't give a bottle of squirrel diarrhea about the mutiplayer and the respective achievements. All about the single player for me and enjoying that as much as possible.

To sum up, I could spend quality time with the apparently very good single player component or I could boost multiplayer just for gamerscore and completion for 45 hours. I know what I'm spending my time on and it ain't grinding exp in a redundant multiplayer mode. I'd hope that other's would do the same.

I'll also say, I really feel for anyone who is skipping this game simply because it has multiplayer achievements. That is really bad.

ponypo2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:31 AM   #20
BiggD
21 Days Until Halo 2

BiggDope's Gamercard

Quote:
Absolutely disgusted with what's happened...

We completionists don't care how long it takes to grind out MP achievements. Nor do we care if the MP sucks, we'll get it done.

Quote:
Old 02-26-2013, 04:34 AM   #21
xhunterrrr

Hunter XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase XBA Representer   Road Map - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Bronze   5,000 Posts   x360a Representer
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The BiggD View Post
We completionists don't care how long it takes to grind out MP achievements. Nor do we care if the MP sucks, we'll get it done.
This is nothing compared to Seriously 3.0
Old 02-26-2013, 05:42 AM   #22
WalterWhite

Quote:

Echoed for truth. This is a shining example of tacked on multiplayer at it's worst. And expecting people to reach max level three times? That's just a ploy to keep their multiplayer numbers high and create the illusion of interest. I won't even bother trying for any multiplayer achievements I can't get in the course of a couple hours in this game, if I even do that much. That's fifty hours I could spend with a quality game.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:21 AM   #23
Thai J

Thai J's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Echoed for truth. This is a shining example of tacked on multiplayer at it's worst. And expecting people to reach max level three times? That's just a ploy to keep their multiplayer numbers high and create the illusion of interest. I won't even bother trying for any multiplayer achievements I can't get in the course of a couple hours in this game, if I even do that much. That's fifty hours I could spend with a quality game.
Which achievement requires you to prestige 3 times? Is it a secret one? I just looked again and I must just be missing something obvious.
Next Up: Sherlock Holmes

GT: Thai J
PSN: Thai1226
Thai J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:30 AM   #24
WalterWhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thai J View Post
Which achievement requires you to prestige 3 times? Is it a secret one? I just looked again and I must just be missing something obvious.
Shopaholic: Purchased all upgrades and characters in multiplayer. Unless this person is mistaken.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/f...d.php?t=425163
Old 02-26-2013, 07:28 AM   #25
DOPE BOI

D0pe B0I's Gamercard
Quote:
Shopaholic: Purchased all upgrades and characters in multiplayer. Unless this person is mistaken.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/f...d.php?t=425163
Trust me Im not mistaken. Im going into my 2nd Prestige and the final SOLARII character is locked and says it wont until Prestige 3. I have everyone else unlocked including Lara who you get at 60. I thought she would have been the final person, you know seeing as the game is about her but nope, and the last person isnt even a major person from the game.

It also will take around 250,000 salvage to unlock everything. Just read the method I put up and all will be fine. It will take 42-60hrs to finish the multiplayer though, should be 42 but some are slow players.

The single player will probably be about 8-10hrs. With some doing speed runs in 3-4hrs.
DOPE BOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:39 AM   #26
BIG L RETURNS

BIG L RETURNS's Gamercard
Quote:
To sum up, I could spend quality time with the apparently very good single player component or I could boost multiplayer just for gamerscore and completion for 45 hours. I know what I'm spending my time on and it ain't grinding exp in a redundant multiplayer mode.
Believe me. I COMPLETELY agree with you. Who the hell would want to spend 45 hours to grind out an achievement on a multiplayer NOBODY asked for?

Achievement hunters enjoy going for that extra challenge, to complete something most say can't be done, to finish literally FINISH a game all the way. Achievements should be what they are meant to be. Accomplishments.

Now where does this Shopaholic Achievement come into play? Can you tell me for what and to who this benefits? It's not an accomplishment, it's a grind. YOU don't like it, I don't like it. Why would they do that? There is NO POINT.

Quote:
I'll also say, I really feel for anyone who is skipping this game simply because it has multiplayer achievements. That is really bad.
I know right?! oddly enough people will skip on this game along with its seemingly amazing single player campaign experience because they did that. So developers need to stop doing stupid shit like this.

BIG L RETURNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:55 AM   #27
Barad
Nice One Bungie

Barad XBA's Gamercard

Too many people are letting the multiplayer achievements ruin their general opinion on the game lol although even the review says the multiplayer is basically shit..same time the singleplayer looks amazing. Never been this excited for a game since Red Dead Redemption.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:34 AM   #28
Thai J

Thai J's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1
Quote:
Too many people are letting the multiplayer achievements ruin their general opinion on the game lol although even the review says the multiplayer is basically shit..same time the singleplayer looks amazing. Never been this excited for a game since Red Dead Redemption.
I agree. I try and complete as many games as I can and generally aim for 90% completion for all the games I play for the entire year. Since I do 100% a lot of games that leaves me room to play some damn good games where I know right off the bat I'm not going to get the 100% but still consider myself some sort of a completionist. Just a more realistic one who doesn't want a couple of stupid achievements to stop me from playing a GOTY contender.
Next Up: Sherlock Holmes

GT: Thai J
PSN: Thai1226
Thai J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:45 AM   #29
Suki

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
The Devs messed up what could of been an amazing game by letting some numbnutz piece together a shite multiplayer and then giving them 250 gamer points to scatter thru that mp garbage.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:03 AM   #30
DjBatfink

dj batfink's Gamercard
Quote:
You are correct what you say...
I'm one of those people who can get put off from getting a great game due to the multiplayer achievements, most of the time....
I always followed TR from the start, it's a great game and this new one looks great, but i nearly didn't pre-order it when i saw yet again another good single player game with added multiplayer.
It feels like sometimes they throw in multiplayer + achievements just to try and make the game longer, why not add more single player achievements?
I feel some games like COD, Halo & Red Dead Redemption etc, are very good for single player and online.
But on the other side, games like Tomb Raider, Fallout, Skyrim and Resi Evil are better just being single player games...
Sometimes multiplayer can ruin a good game....
DjBatfink is offline   Reply With Quote