PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Adventure > Tomb Raider
Subscribe    Donate

Old 02-26-2013, 12:02 PM   #31
BiggD
On Hiatus

BiggDope's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Gold   Road Map - Gold   10,000 posts   Submit - Diamond   Micro Guide - Diamond   A+ Thread Award   CABS Beta Tester   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   Donator - Level 2   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal
Total Awards: 16 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suki View Post
The Devs messed up what could of been an amazing game by letting some numbnutz piece together a shite multiplayer and then giving them 250 gamer points to scatter thru that mp garbage.
A poor achievement list and a game playing horribly/well have nothing to do with each other...

Thanks to Slaughter for the stupendously stylistic signature.
BiggD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:11 PM   #32
Rep

Send a message via AIM to Rep Send a message via Skype™ to Rep

Mainstream's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Silver   XBA Promoter   Referrals - Bronze   2,500 Posts   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Road Map - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 7 (more» ...)
Quote:
The Devs messed up what could of been an amazing game by letting some numbnutz piece together a shite multiplayer and then giving them 250 gamer points to scatter thru that mp garbage.
Besides the MP, this is still an amazing game. It's a shame that some people will miss out on this due to the achievements.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:24 PM   #33
cutterk73

cutterk73's Gamercard
egm review is up..8.0

http://www.egmnow.com/articles/revie...ider/#comments

"8.0 Tomb Raider presents a conflict between what I expected and what I received, so to some degree, it’s hard not to be disappointed. However, even with its missteps and missed opportunities, the effort Crystal Dynamics presents here is a respectable first step in giving the Tomb Raider franchise a proper–and much-needed—reboot.

The Good A Tomb Raider—and Lara Croft—that display more depth and character than before.

The Bad The continued assumption that every game needs to have you constantly killing people.

The Ugly Definitely not a bloody, dirty Lara Croft."

"the bad" ignorant complaint in my opinion..apparently they made the game where you dont have to kill all the time, there are alternative routes you can take in most cases..but of course the pro reviewer here didnt take the time to look for those..

Last edited by cutterk73; 02-26-2013 at 03:27 PM.
cutterk73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:32 PM   #34
WhiteWolfDamo

whitewolfdamo's Gamercard
some random site I've never heard of has just put up their review
x360a - 75%
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/g...ider-9/review/
WhiteWolfDamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:34 PM   #35
Barad
High on Life

Send a message via Skype™ to Barad

Barad XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Platinum   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Bronze   Road Map - Emerald   Achievement Guide - Platinum   Donator - Level 2   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer   Staff Club - troy0891
Total Awards: 22 (more» ...)
Quote:
Woah you seriously need to stop thrashing the game just because of the MP in every thread on here. 5th post I've seen of yours going berserk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thai J View Post
I agree. I try and complete as many games as I can and generally aim for 90% completion for all the games I play for the entire year. Since I do 100% a lot of games that leaves me room to play some damn good games where I know right off the bat I'm not going to get the 100% but still consider myself some sort of a completionist. Just a more realistic one who doesn't want a couple of stupid achievements to stop me from playing a GOTY contender.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjBatfink View Post
You are correct what you say...
I'm one of those people who can get put off from getting a great game due to the multiplayer achievements, most of the time....
I always followed TR from the start, it's a great game and this new one looks great, but i nearly didn't pre-order it when i saw yet again another good single player game with added multiplayer.
It feels like sometimes they throw in multiplayer + achievements just to try and make the game longer, why not add more single player achievements?
I feel some games like COD, Halo & Red Dead Redemption etc, are very good for single player and online.
But on the other side, games like Tomb Raider, Fallout, Skyrim and Resi Evil are better just being single player games...
Sometimes multiplayer can ruin a good game....
I know where you guys are coming from..trust me no one hates bullshit multiplayer achievements on a story based game more than me. The best you can do is either learn to appreciate boosting..or just sacrifice the completion.

Thing is even if they didn't add multiplayer for this game.. I doubt they would have actually extended the singleplayer experience in any way, they've done and perfected the singleplayer as much as they can, and at the end made the mistake of adding MP..but oh well, we will just have to deal with it.

---
10,000 Achievements - 13 July 2014

Barad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:54 PM   #36
VVh1pCr3am

Awards Showcase NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWolfDamo View Post
some random site I've never heard of has just put up their review
x360a - 75%
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/g...ider-9/review/
I'll never trust an x360a review again after they gave Family Guy a 35 and Aliens: CM a 40. Aliens was almost unplayable and had a ridiculous amount of glitches, whereas Family Guy had no glitches and was completely playable. The reviewer just had an agenda to give a Family Guy game a bad review. Adding on to Tomb Raider getting better scores everywhere else as well.
VVh1pCr3am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:54 PM   #37
BiggD
On Hiatus

BiggDope's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Gold   Road Map - Gold   10,000 posts   Submit - Diamond   Micro Guide - Diamond   A+ Thread Award   CABS Beta Tester   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   Donator - Level 2   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal
Damn...x360a wasn't too lenient in reviewing this one Oh well, hopefully it will still be fun for at least two weeks.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:09 PM   #38
cutterk73

cutterk73's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by VVh1pCr3am View Post
I'll never trust an x360a review again after they gave Family Guy a 35 and Aliens: CM a 40. Aliens was almost unplayable and had a ridiculous amount of glitches, whereas Family Guy had no glitches and was completely playable. The reviewer just had an agenda to give a Family Guy game a bad review. Adding on to Tomb Raider getting better scores everywhere else as well.
im in agreement on this point entirely!!

cutterk73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:47 PM   #39
DOPE BOI

D0pe B0I's Gamercard
What yall have to understand is that 360A's review looks at achievements as well. Seeing as they do this and MP takes 42-60hrs not just getting to level 60 as they think, then it should take a hit.

I personally wouldnt review and take achievements in consideration, as if you ignore those the game is solid.
DOPE BOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:56 PM   #40
darky the hun

darky the hun's Gamercard
Quote:
It's probably because of the piss poor achievements. It would've scored over 80 easily otherwise.

darky the hun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:55 PM   #41
Gageamatron

gageamatron's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by darky the hun View Post
It's probably because of the piss poor achievements. It would've scored over 80 easily otherwise.
I'm pretty sure they don't take achievements into account for the final score. If they did then they would lose all credibility.

Gageamatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:19 PM   #42
Barad
High on Life

Barad XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Platinum   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Bronze   Road Map - Emerald   Achievement Guide - Platinum   Donator - Level 2   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer   Staff Club - troy0891
Quote:
Originally Posted by The BiggD View Post
Damn...x360a wasn't too lenient in reviewing this one Oh well, hopefully it will still be fun for at least two weeks.
I'm hoping the SP on this game lasts at least 30 hours. I was pretty surprised by Webb's review. After watching all the survival episodes for this game I thought it was a given that this would be an extraordinary game..hell it still probably is!

---

Old 02-26-2013, 07:20 PM   #43
WalterWhite

Awards Showcase Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze   2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gageamatron View Post
I'm pretty sure they don't take achievements into account for the final score. If they did then they would lose all credibility.
Alot of the users of this site can't read very well, not only do they NOT figure the achievement list into the final score, they go as far as to explain that in the Tomb Raider review. Wall beats head yet again.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:01 PM   #44
Vindicator51

Vindicator51's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by B A R 4 D View Post
Too many people are letting the multiplayer achievements ruin their general opinion on the game lol although even the review says the multiplayer is basically shit..same time the singleplayer looks amazing. Never been this excited for a game since Red Dead Redemption.
Well, i think it's because people are purchasing half a game to begin with. Since the MP in the game is tacked on, it means it suffered overall.

I was interested at E3, but i see nothing of interest now.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:15 PM   #45
WalterWhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindicator51 View Post
Well, i think it's because people are purchasing half a game to begin with. Since the MP in the game is tacked on, it means it suffered overall.

I was interested at E3, but i see nothing of interest now.
It went from purchase to rental for me. Enjoy the single player game for a day or two, skip the multiplayer trash and move on. Three dollars, no regrets, no wasted time grinding garbage. That's how I deal with games like this now. I could buy the game and love the campaign but fifty hours of grinding multiplayer later, I'll hate the whole thing.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:21 PM   #46
BiggD
On Hiatus

BiggDope's Gamercard

Quote:
I'm hoping the SP on this game lasts at least 30 hours. I was pretty surprised by Webb's review. After watching all the survival episodes for this game I thought it was a given that this would be an extraordinary game..hell it still probably is!
Pretty sure I read on an old x360a article that the Campaign/Story is only 10 hours long

Old 02-26-2013, 08:24 PM   #47
Barad
High on Life

Barad XBA's Gamercard

Quote:
Pretty sure I read on an old x360a article that the Campaign/Story is only 10 hours long
Man first Crysis and now this? Keep getting let down by games today! But maybe it's takes longer to earn all the SP achievements.

---

Old 02-26-2013, 08:36 PM   #48
Rep

Send a message via AIM to Rep Send a message via Skype™ to Rep

Mainstream's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Silver   XBA Promoter   Referrals - Bronze   2,500 Posts   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Road Map - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 7 (more» ...)
Quote:
Quote:
Man first Crysis and now this? Keep getting let down by games today! But maybe it's takes longer to earn all the SP achievements.
7 1/2 hours in and have only completed 46% of the game. At least it's longer than most games that have been released lately.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:48 PM   #49
Hurricane Of 87

Hurricane Of 87's Gamercard
Quote:
X360a falls into the pro reviewer trap of giving okay games 70-80 and terrible games 30-50 just because that's how ratings in this industry usually play out. The reviews themselves (You know, the bit with all the words above the number?) have been pretty clear about the reviewers feelings on said games.

Does anyone actually read the text anymore? Both Eurogamer and x360a didn't have anything too nice to say about the game and sighed about all the changes and the move into 'me too' territory.
These both read like 3 or 4 out of 10's but dropped a 8/10 and a 75% respectively.

Also annoyed that both sites brushed off the multiplayer in two paragraphs or less with an 'it's pretty much standard stuff' when they spent a fuckload of words saying essentially the same thing about the single player.
Lame.

ED: Also reviews moan about Lara being remorseful about her first kill before going on the slaughter hundreds without blinking. Weird how the same complaint wasn't levelled at Far Cry 3 where the exact same thing happened.
Hurricane Of 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:57 PM   #50
BiggD
On Hiatus

BiggDope's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Of 87 View Post
ED: Also reviews moan about Lara being remorseful about her first kill before going on the slaughter hundreds without blinking. Weird how the same complaint wasn't levelled at Far Cry 3 where the exact same thing happened.
Yeah, I agree with this specific part completely.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:41 PM   #51
Barad
High on Life

Barad XBA's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rep View Post
7 1/2 hours in and have only completed 46% of the game. At least it's longer than most games that have been released lately.
Ok so maybe at least 15 hours of solid gameplay, that's good enough I guess.

---

Old 02-26-2013, 10:41 PM   #52
Hoborg
Banned User

I was disappointed in the X360a review. It seems like it got a low score compared to the meta.
Hoborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:43 PM   #53
xhunterrrr

Hunter XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase XBA Representer   Road Map - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Bronze   5,000 Posts   x360a Representer
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoborg View Post
I was disappointed in the X360a review. It seems like it got a low score compared to the meta.
Do you not understand how metacritic works? It averages review scores. Some are going to be higher than the average, some are going to be lower.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:16 PM   #54
DOPE BOI

D0pe B0I's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterWhite View Post
Alot of the users of this site can't read very well, not only do they NOT figure the achievement list into the final score, they go as far as to explain that in the Tomb Raider review. Wall beats head yet again.
If that's true they sure are misleading by directly reviewing the achievement in the review and then giving them ( achievements) a final score of 30. I found no mention they didn't factor them in.
DOPE BOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:35 PM   #55
mavryk

Mav Ryk 1's Gamercard
I count myself as the biggest raider fan ever,been playing games for thirty years now and was really looking forward to this,however since I found out about the multiplayer i have decided not to add this to my collection,used to really love achievements but in the last year they have begun to turn me off gaming,been deliberately buying offline only games and now think I will sell my console and give up for good.The heart has been ripped out of gaming and been replaced by the corporate whore machine like everything else I loved.
mavryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:39 PM   #56
WalterWhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOPE BOI View Post
If that's true they sure are misleading by directly reviewing the achievement in the review and then giving them ( achievements) a final score of 30. I found no mention they didn't factor them in.
Then I guess you're the guy I described. They rate the achievements because it's an achievement site and the achievement rating is listed in the final score breakdown area at the bottom but isn't factored into the final overall score of the game. It's not that difficult to comprehend. Here's the paragraph in question for you. There's a typo in the sentence but that's above my paygrade.

Collectible this, upgrade that, it’s pretty disastrous stuff in all honesty. Oh, and whoever’s idea it was to make a missable achievement a secret one… wow, that person really doesn’t understand the achievement system at all. Be warned, speak to the Endurance crew whenever possible so that there’s no icon above their head when you embark on the mission – a la the first Assassin’s Creed's Lucy-based achievement. You’ll thank me later. One of the worse lists I have seen in years. Plain and simple. It’s a good job we don’t factor the achievements rating into the final score!
Old 02-26-2013, 11:44 PM   #57
Suki

Quote:
Woah you seriously need to stop thrashing the game just because of the MP in every thread on here. 5th post I've seen of yours going berserk.
Yeah sorry i have made four posts not 5 in this forum of which three is moaning about the mp ach and sorry if its annoying u but im going thru the same scenario now with crysis 3 mp ach before i can enjoy the sp and see the same thing coming but a lot worse with tomb raider but i have a choice to pass the silly mp ach's which is wot i will do but it does annoy me i mean did the devs think ppl would see 4 times prestige and say YES cant wait for thats the best ach ever (sorry im doing it again). Just walk away just, walk away & deep breath.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:04 AM   #58
DEG23
Wanderlusting

DEG23 x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - DEG23   Donator - Level 5   CABS Beta Tester   Staff - Moderator   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Staff Club - Rajeanero   GRID 2 Award   Staff Club - Grifter Reborn   Staff Club - TemporalWizard   Staff Club - Minty   Staff Club - Nozza x360a   Staff Club - Shinobi273
Total Awards: 23 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Of 87 View Post
Does anyone actually read the text anymore? Both Eurogamer and x360a didn't have anything too nice to say about the game and sighed about all the changes and the move into 'me too' territory.
These both read like 3 or 4 out of 10's but dropped a 8/10 and a 75% respectively.

The impression I took from the x360a review was that when compared to other Tomb Raider games this one doesn't follow any of the traditional aspects that made the series great, hence some of the negative words, but as a stand alone game it is a 7/8 out of 10.

As for the killing thing, Tomb Raider has been marketed as Lara's first journey, her first adventure, etc. So her first kill would be a big deal for her character, so I see where the reviewer is coming from. Also considering that killing waves of enemies has never been a large part of the Tomb Raider franchise, the part about killing more people in this game than all others put together makes it sounds like a 3rd person shoot em up.
DEG23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:23 AM   #59
fax5jrj

fax5jrj's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjBatfink View Post
9.1 by IGN....
It must be good, they normally give rubbish reviews and give low score's even on top game's...
Make me even more looking forward to this game.......
Yes, but then they give average games 9+. Examples: The past couple of COD, Dishonored, Sleeping Dogs, etc.

And Dead Space 3 gets a 7.8.

OK then IGN. Somehow that makes sense.
fax5jrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:09 AM   #60
Hoborg
Banned User

This doesn't make any sense re: X360a review

Let's break it down

Audio 85
Visuals 85
Playability 80
Delivery 70
Achievements 30

Let's just assume achievements are not factored in the final score. Then the logical formula is 85 + 85 + 80 + 70 / 4 = 80

If we factor in the last category then we just add 30 and divide by 5 to find the average which totals = 70.

The review score is 75. That makes absolutely no sense. Where are these extra 5 points coming from?
Hoborg is offline   Reply With Quote