PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Action > Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Subscribe    Donate

Old 02-23-2013, 07:24 AM   #1
tpb

StalwartSnake's Gamercard
Countering on "Hard"

Having real issues getting this right. How does it work?

tpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:33 AM   #2
Lumen18
Banned User

Time your parry exactly before the enemy hit connects; this results in a counter most of the times (there are exceptions). If the enemy can't step back, the counter will connect (some enemies will occasionally step back and dodge it tough). There is no difference in the parry and counter mechanics between the different difficulty settings.

Make sure that the attack can actually be parried and countered though; the "yellow" attacks for instance can never be parried, just dodged.
Lumen18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:25 AM   #3
Dirty130
Water off a duck's back..

DirtyI30's Gamercard

Awards Showcase The Mighty Duck Face   Subscriber - Bronze   Staff Club - Minty   Community Gaming - Silver   5,000 Posts   Tri-Gamer Tournament - Champion   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 7 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumen18 View Post
Time your parry exactly before the enemy hit connects; this results in a counter most of the times (there are exceptions). If the enemy can't step back, the counter will connect (some enemies will occasionally step back and dodge it tough). There is no difference in the parry and counter mechanics between the different difficulty settings.

Make sure that the attack can actually be parried and countered though; the "yellow" attacks for instance can never be parried, just dodged.
The window to imput the parry command is smaller on higher difficulties. Also counters from a parry do much more damage on Revengeance mode.
Dirty130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:32 AM   #4
Lumen18
Banned User

Wrong, the timing is always the same; it's just the enemies that attack faster and more frequently. Correct about the extra damage on Revengeance, but that topic doesn't belong to the timing mechanics discussed.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:09 PM   #5
tpb

What exactly is the mechanic for parrying? I think I'm doing it right by pushing the left stick towards the attack and hit X, but honestly 9/10 I miss the parry, other times I'm just trying to attack and Raiden stands there blocking ready for the next enemy attack. Just wondering if its my timing being awful or if in just doing it wrong. Lol. Maybe I shouldn't be playing on hard first time through (is my standard habit to start on hard).

Old 02-23-2013, 04:24 PM   #6
Lumen18
Banned User

You described the parry mechanics correctly, so I think it's a matter of practicing the timing for you. Also, don't try too hard to learn against the first humanoid cyborgs; the bigger enemies offer better chances to learn. People usually get the hang of the parry mechanics against the "wolf" mini-boss in R01. Practice against that one until you win without any damage and you should become able to parry most of the attacks blindfolded.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:03 AM   #7
GS17259

GS17259's Gamercard
I hate the parry mechanic I find that dodge "x+a" is way easier, downside is that the fights take much longer.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:44 AM   #8
Sabrelord

Sabr3lord's Gamercard
I think parry in iteself is easy to pull off, you have such a long time frame, same goes for dodge.
Only thing bothering me is the camera twitching around... you rapidly punch that stick into just the right direction only for the camera to say "fuck you" and do a 45 spin.

However, counter is a different story.

Somehow i managed to do like...dunno... 10 counters on my Hard playthrough.

Playing on Rev (or trying to, haven't passed the second fight in r00 yet -_-) made me feel like it's actualy easier to pull off a counter.

On the other hand...Going for the Boss Achievements on Monsoon and Sam had me countering sometimes, but i guess that was just luck.

And for some weird reason i felt that you don't actualy have to wait for a hit to (almost) connect, somehow i felt that you have to do it earlier.
But yeah...like i said i barely countered anyway, so don't listen to me =P

Feel free to add,but please leave a note-no Randoms. Live - 360v - LastFM
Sabrelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:52 PM   #9
Jaikerz32

Jaikerz32's Gamercard
i find the offensive/ defensive skill a little clunky. but yes along with parrying, it is a great technique.
Jaikerz32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:58 AM   #10
BrySkye

BrySkye's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS17259 View Post
I hate the parry mechanic I find that dodge "x+a" is way easier, downside is that the fights take much longer.
lol, I have yet to perform a single successful dodge.
BrySkye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:21 AM   #11
tpb

The wolf mini boss is exactly where I am and he is continually beating me down with little effort... I'm feel like I am doing the exact same thing against the guy, and sometimes it parries (I.e. Raiden raises his sword in a block type motion and the wolf bounces off) but 75% of the time it doesn't...

I'm sure the game is fine and either I'm just doing it wrong (maybe its really specific with the directional push?) or I guess it is just down to timing, but it doesn't feel like I'm doing it any different (which is massively frustrating).

Is it easier to parry on lower difficulties or is it pretty much the same?

Old 03-04-2013, 01:32 PM   #12
Akai Shuichi

Phobic Panda's Gamercard
I think if you are having trouble with parrying, and you have already beaten the game. Play VR Mission 18. Play it religiously until you get the 1st place time. That mission forces you to become a god at parrying.

1000G+ Retail: Tomb Raider: Legend, Halo 3, Red Dead Redemption

Arcade 200G: TMNT 1989, SOULCALIBUR, Dash of Destruction, Sonic The Hedgehog 3, Fable II Pub Games, 1vs100, Castlevania: Harmony of Despair, X-MEN
Akai Shuichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:59 AM   #13
Rascalov

EbonHawk01's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
I just beat Mission 1 on Normal. I've been having a really tough time with the parrying. The dog boss and Mistral were both hard as nails for me. With the dog, I found that I could parry his Homing attack, but not the one where he jumps on top of you and stabs his chainsaw into Raiden's chest. Can that move actually be parried? I was trying over and over and just could not do it. Barely beat that fight with about 5% health left after a bunch of retries. Also I found Mistral nearly impossible to parry. I think during the whole fight I was able to parry her only 2 or 3 times even though I was trying to parry every attack from her. She has one move where she rolls around the room like the pinwheels in Dark Souls. I found that one impossible to parry. She also has another one where she slams her whip into the ground which creates a shockwave that homes in on you. I couldn't parry that one either. I was pressing X and left stick forward but it didn't do anything. Is the window for parrying like 0.1 second or something? I find Sliders and Armored Cyborgs hard to parry as well. With the cyborgs I can parry the first hit but not the second. I think if I don't figure it out I might not even be able to beat Normal difficulty.

R.I.P CrustyDirtDemon 1986-2011
Rascalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:25 PM   #14
snake2410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascalov View Post
I just beat Mission 1 on Normal. I've been having a really tough time with the parrying. The dog boss and Mistral were both hard as nails for me. With the dog, I found that I could parry his Homing attack, but not the one where he jumps on top of you and stabs his chainsaw into Raiden's chest. Can that move actually be parried? I was trying over and over and just could not do it. Barely beat that fight with about 5% health left after a bunch of retries. Also I found Mistral nearly impossible to parry. I think during the whole fight I was able to parry her only 2 or 3 times even though I was trying to parry every attack from her. She has one move where she rolls around the room like the pinwheels in Dark Souls. I found that one impossible to parry. She also has another one where she slams her whip into the ground which creates a shockwave that homes in on you. I couldn't parry that one either. I was pressing X and left stick forward but it didn't do anything. Is the window for parrying like 0.1 second or something? I find Sliders and Armored Cyborgs hard to parry as well. With the cyborgs I can parry the first hit but not the second. I think if I don't figure it out I might not even be able to beat Normal difficulty.
Yes it can. You have to wait till his final jump and then parry him. Lock onto him to make it easier to track him. He usually does three jumps but sometimes he'll hit something and do only one or two so be ready. You can parry any move that doesn't have a yellow glow to it. Yellow you can only dodge. Mistral's moves can all be parried, though she might have a yellow 'grab' move. Don't completely remember.
snake2410 is offline   Reply With Quote