PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 LIVE Arcade Games > Sports and Fitness > Jet Set Radio HD
Subscribe    Donate

Old 05-02-2012, 03:17 PM   #1
antanater

antanater's Gamercard
what is better, Jet set radio, or Jet set radio future

I have only played Jet set radio future, and i just found out what the differences are between the two. Now I'm interested in know what one of the two do people prefer? i cant give a proper answer only playing the two but still future is one of my all time favourite games! so could you please tell me which one was your favourite and if you can be bothered say why.
antanater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:44 PM   #2
Matriculated

SEEGAAAA's Gamercard
I prefer the original because it had a proper tagging mechanic.

It also let you download images from the Internet and use them as tags in game (when you're 13 years old, the ability to cover Tokyo-to in tits seems like the greatest thing ever)

Plus I HATE the original Xbox controller with a passion. It nearly ruined every game for me on that system.

JSRF is on the backwards compatibility list now so I could play it with a 360 controller but the game has performance issues.

Badges provided by http://darkfailure.deviantart.com/

Last edited by Matriculated; 05-06-2012 at 09:36 PM.
Matriculated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 01:32 PM   #3
Chidomaru

Chidomaru's Gamercard
Its a tough question - for me personally I can't really pick a favourite between the 2 as I love them both equally and they each have their perks.

Jet Set Radio has the quick time events for the tagging which added another level of gameplay to the game as having to quickly complete a large tag when you're being chased by the police etc could be quite a challenge.

I also preferred most of the character designs slightly in the original Jet Set Radio - this could be because I'd been used to the characters appearing a certain way so when JSRF came out the changes to appearance (and names for some characters) seemed odd. Nevertheless I definately prefer the original versions of Cube, Beat, Gum, Mew(Ryth), and Combo as well as the original appearance of DJ Professor K.

That being said, Jet Set Radio future had more playable characters and also included more enemy gangs that you could go against (and later unlock as playable characters). Plus the garage section where you could interact with each of the GG's members to get the low down on current missions and what's on their minds.

I also love Jet Set Radio Future's free-roam gameplay, allowing you to pick which order you visited levels and the option to return to any level whenever you wanted to finish challenges and missed tags. Plus JSRF also had some amazing level designs which were quite unique to each other which Jet Set Radio doesn't have.

Both games have amazing soundtracks and its impossible to pick one over the other because they're both that awesome. However Jet Set Radio does have the original versions of 'Humming The Baseline' and 'Sweet Soul Brother' which it'll be great to hear again when grinding and tagging away
Chidomaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:12 AM   #4
Ozbrithian

ozbrithian's Gamercard
Imagine if you played Mario 3 first and then a few years later tried 1. That's how I feel. I love Future and it is one of my all time favorite games but I could not bring myself to like the first for a lot of little reasons mostly.

I prefered the music in Future and the level designs and the way I could just fight the cops, and the way grafitti didn't involve a quick time event, and the lack of time limits, and that Aisle 10 song... oh wait I hate that song more than almost any I've ever heard since I was 12 and my mom was going through an Ace of Base phase.
Ozbrithian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:09 PM   #5
elderlygoose

ElderlyGoose's Gamercard
Future just felt broken, I kept trying to play it but everytime I started to play it I would find bugs and faults without really going outside the lines of what the game expected.

The original was a polished original geniusly funky game which was perfect in every single aspect (and easily replayable).

Future just felt not only like a disappointment where it had been simplified so it could appeal to more people but rushed and unforthcoming. Also killed off the IP there and then, Which is why we see lots of nods to it but nothing more

I practically fell off my chair just at the rumour there might be a wii jsr but the remake is a step in the right direction in my eyes.
elderlygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:12 PM   #6
TheRequiem95

TheRequiem95's Gamercard
As much as I love them both, I have to say that I prefer the pace and design of the sequel better enough to say it is my favorite. The agree that the original had a better mechanic for tagging, as other posts mentioned.
TheRequiem95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:08 PM   #7
Gizm0 The Great

GizM0 The Great's Gamercard
I'm with the majority, it's hard to choose. At the time JSR was incredible. This and shenmue were the reason I got a dreamcast. The gameplay was original, the character design was great and it had by far the greatest soundtrack of any game (including crazy taxi).

Then with JSRF coming to Xbox with an equally impressive soundtrack, a vastly larger game world and improved graphics I fell in love all over again.

If I had to choose desperately I'd pick Future, based solely on time played. I still play it every so often. I still have JSR but it's quicker to stick future into my 360 than to set up the dreamcast. Plus I worry about damaging the discs and I have 2 copies of JSRF just in case.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:10 AM   #8
KingSigy

Send a message via AIM to KingSigy Send a message via MSN to KingSigy Send a message via Yahoo to KingSigy Send a message via Skype™ to KingSigy

KingSigy's Gamercard
I'd go with Future for reasons stated above. While the original is a classic and has a better tagging system (along with custom tags), Future is just a better story, bigger world, and prettier game.

Though the backwards compatibility on 360 leaves a lot to be desired. The framerate often drops to sub playable levels and the audio isn't very clear. It's sad as the game is fantastic.

I'm hoping Sega wises up and releases JSRF as a download in the future. An HD version of that would blow my mind.

KingSigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:53 PM   #9
FroZeNSouL

FroZeNSouL's Gamercard
JSRF just overly more playable to me, if anything felt JSR felt more "buggy".
But then again i went from xbox to DC rather than other way round.
and who doesnt love the original xbox controllers!!! :P
Id actually pay to have one modded to 360 with shoulder buttons!

Please msg if working on:GTA4, GTA5, All GoW
FroZeNSouL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:33 PM   #10
antanater

antanater's Gamercard
i love JSRF, and like i said one of my all time favorites and im so excited to try the original, and i'm really glad they re made it. but i would also love a JSRF remake, perhaps even on the next gen consoles, in 2-3 years. but for now, im happy with JSR, this will be a day one buy for me!
antanater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:12 PM   #11
GrimIceWolf

GrimIceWolf's Gamercard
both great games!!

GrimIceWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:36 AM   #12
WogMatt26

II TH3PRO II's Gamercard
Jet SET RADIO FUTURE was the best game i had on my original xbox loved it to bits!
WogMatt26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:51 PM   #13
DarkReign2021
Banned User

DarkReign2021's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
I loved both, but I have to say I enjoyed JSRF more. Probably because I played it first. It was one of the first games I got on the original Xbox, so it's one of my fondest memories of my early days of gaming. I'm definitely looking forward to this and I hope they do a JSRF remake as well. If they do well maybe we'll see another sequel and maybe Sega will see the success as a reason to bring out Shenmue I and II
DarkReign2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:17 PM   #14
HaloTitan

halotitan04's Gamercard
I haven't actually played JSR but I really enjoyed JSRF. I hope they do a HD remake on that game as well.
HaloTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:05 PM   #15
Bum Commando

Bum Commando's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Bronze   Road Map - Bronze
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
I own both but recently my dreamcast gets disc read errors so i havent been able to play this in forever. Gonna have to play JSRF in the meantime and 800 msp I hope they release this bug free and well supported. The game deserves a proper hd release.

Quote:
"The dumber people think you are, the more suprised they are going to be when you kill them."
-William Clayton
Bum Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:57 PM   #16
xicegrillx

xicegrillz's Gamercard
Maybe this is just me being nostalgic, but I think JSR is the better game. I own JSRF as well, but I don't really remember much about it. I think JSR was mind-blowing at the time because it was one of the first times, if not the first, that I had seen cel shading. It obviously became pretty played out, but at the time it was a breath of fresh air. Also, the soundtrack was so fun and catchy.
xicegrillx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:13 AM   #17
mca0004

mca0004's Gamercard
I prefer jet set radio mainly because it had Captain Onishima and he was awesome, Captain Hayashi can go fuck himself, plus I just prefer the design of the Tokyo-to Police Department more then the Rokakku Police. And the dispatcher in JSR is much better then the one in JSRF, I guess you have to be a cop like me to get why the police dispatcher is so important, but trust me, his voice is epic!

Last edited by mca0004; 03-04-2014 at 08:32 AM.
mca0004 is offline   Reply With Quote