Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion > The Diner
Subscribe    Donate

Old 03-24-2013, 05:44 PM   #1
Soldier1stCl4ss

soldier1stcl4ss's Gamercard
Lightbulb Any beer drinkers?

Maybe it's where I live but I don't know too many gamers who like to throw back a brew. And I'm not talking your standard Budweiser or Miller. I'm talking well brewed IPAs, Stouts, Porters... You know. I've started brewing my own beer as well. Sometimes I love coming home after a tough day and ramming a Retro Lancer down the throat of a locust, whilst sipping on a crisp hoppy beer. Anyone else?
Soldier1stCl4ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:43 PM   #2
Foxxy kyle

Foxxy Kyle's Gamercard

Awards Showcase You ARE the Controller Challenge Club - Tier 1   Road Map - Platinum   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Submit - Diamond   Micro Guide - Silver   XBA Promoter   2,500 Posts   Achievement Guide - Gold   Over Achiever - Bronze   Referrals - Bronze   A+ Thread Award   Bright Idea
Total Awards: 12 (more» ...)
I like Yuengling.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:34 AM   #3
XoNiNjAlEoNoX

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
I like to piss my urine in a bottle and pretend like it's beer.

Just another freak, in the freak kingdom.
XoNiNjAlEoNoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:09 AM   #4
Frazerz1990

Frazerz1990's Gamercard
I like my standard Carling.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:14 AM   #5
DMagoo24

DMagoo24's Gamercard
I'd drink about anything, Guiness being my favorite.
DMagoo24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:16 AM   #6
Soldier1stCl4ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxxy kyle View Post
I like Yuengling.
That's really been growing.on me... I'm a huge fan of.the.black and tan they make. I'm from Ohio, and for a while that company wasn't available here, but it's sweeping the state big time. It's my go to when I'm out and about.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:15 PM   #7
Smoochy

I really only drink Guinness. Not big on lagers and ales. I'll drink the occasional Sam Adams Boston Lager, but that's about it. I prefer stouts and porters over anything else.

Props to Raj for the avatar and sig
Smoochy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:18 PM   #8
Soldier1stCl4ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoochy View Post
I really only drink Guinness. Not big on lagers and ales. I'll drink the occasional Sam Adams Boston Lager, but that's about it. I prefer stouts and porters over anything else.
I'm starting to really get into stouts... I love the thick rich flavor. Specifically oatmeal stouts. I'm going to try my hand at making one. Guinness is pretty good, bit I don't know anyone around where I live that drinks it much.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:23 PM   #9
Echilion

Since you're from Ohio, try some Fat Head's Headhunter or Columbus IPA. Delicious
Echilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:23 PM   #10
Opiate42

Location: Canada, likely stuck in a snowdrift...with no shovel

Opiate42's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - Rajeanero   Community Gaming - Silver   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Submit - Bronze   XBA Promoter   Staff Club - DEG23   Over Achiever - Bronze   5,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 9 (more» ...)
Any beer drinkers?

Me! Ooh oh Oooooh meeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!

Shoulda seen that one coming. Right with you OP, IPAs are definitely my favorite style, love hammering a few bottles while dog tagging noobs in bf3

Personal favs are smashbomb from flying monkeys and mad Tom from muskoka. But the top of the heap for me is hard to get in Canada:
Flower Power from Ithaca. That stuff is beautiful. Flavourful, smooth, and a good high %. Want this stuff in the lcbo now!!

Quote:
Guinness is alright but there are some way better stouts to be found, youngs double chocolate, durham black katt, dragon stout... Once you sample those Guinness will start to taste like water lol! Sam Adams Boston is tasty, have enjoyed that one quite a bit!

"Hit it"
Opiate42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:47 PM   #11
Soldier1stCl4ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echilion View Post
Since you're from Ohio, try some Fat Head's Headhunter or Columbus IPA. Delicious
Haha, I love me some fathead! The IPA from the Columbus Brewing Company is fantastic. One of my best friends is a brewer down there. The Great Lakes Brewing Company up here makes a seasonal IPA called Alchemy Hour. This beer is by far the best IPA I've ever tasted...
Old 03-25-2013, 06:49 PM   #12
Soldier1stCl4ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opiate42 View Post
Any beer drinkers?

Personal favs are smashbomb from flying monkeys and mad Tom from muskoka. But the top of the heap for me is hard to get in Canada:
Flower Power from Ithaca. That stuff is beautiful. Flavourful, smooth, and a good high %. Want this stuff in the lcbo now!!!
This Flower Power has intrigued me... What is it exactly?
Old 03-25-2013, 06:58 PM   #13
Echilion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier1stCl4ss View Post
Haha, I love me some fathead! The IPA from the Columbus Brewing Company is fantastic. One of my best friends is a brewer down there. The Great Lakes Brewing Company up here makes a seasonal IPA called Alchemy Hour. This beer is by far the best IPA I've ever tasted...
Yes. Fat Heads is such an awesome brewery. They have a new IPA on tap called IBUsive, I might even prefer it over Headhunter...but hard to say.

I finally had Alchemy Hour about a week ago, loved it. Ohio is a great state for beer, if only that damn ABV cap would be lifted

Quote:
It is an IPA. Pretty sure it is available in Ohio
Old 03-25-2013, 07:09 PM   #14
Opiate42

Opiate42's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - Rajeanero   Community Gaming - Silver   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Submit - Bronze   XBA Promoter   Staff Club - DEG23   Over Achiever - Bronze   5,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by XoNiNjAlEoNoX View Post
I like to piss my urine in a bottle and pretend like it's beer.
That would be Bud or MGD.

Quote:
I keep seeing Columbus IPA around and haven't tried yet, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier1stCl4ss View Post
It's this, and it's deserves that 95 rating on Beer Advocate, trust me it's earned it.
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/651/6076

It's another India Pale Ale (super hoppy, dark reddish brown colour and higher alcohol than a normal beer). I've had tons of IPA's but Ithaca definitely does it best. It's a beautiful full aroma and flavour, and super smooth whereas a lot of IPA's can be pretty harsh on the palate, and a good whollop on the alcohol level at 7.5. Drank two growlers of the stuff in one day when I was racing in Ithaca last summer. Oh man... good times.

The brewery actually ran out of it that weekend from all the teams from out of town, lucky I got as much as I did.

I want this stuff on my side of the border asap.

Anyone who lives in range of Ithaca should definitely make a trip to the brewery, the crew there are awesome folks.

"Hit it"
Old 03-25-2013, 07:24 PM   #15
Echilion

Quote:
I keep seeing Columbus IPA around and haven't tried yet, thanks!
Make sure it is this one
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/341/33215

because I think there is one with a similar name
Old 03-25-2013, 07:51 PM   #16
Opiate42

Opiate42's Gamercard

Quote:
Make sure it is this one
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/341/33215

because I think there is one with a similar name
Oh! Label is different, will check the box details next time I see it.

"Hit it"
Old 03-25-2013, 07:53 PM   #17
Smoochy

Quote:

Guinness is alright but there are some way better stouts to be found, youngs double chocolate, durham black katt, dragon stout... Once you sample those Guinness will start to taste like water lol! Sam Adams Boston is tasty, have enjoyed that one quite a bit!
I've had a few other stouts, one of my favorites is Highland Black Mocha Stout. It is amazing. Only reason I don't go too deep into the craft stouts is I hate finding something that tastes really good, but is super hard to find in my area. The reason I love Guinness so much is because it's available at every store in my area.

As nasty as 98% of the macro lagers are, I actually like PBR every once in a while.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:17 PM   #18
Benny34
Banned User

Hasn't this been asked before!? Lol
Benny34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:35 PM   #19
Foxxy kyle

Foxxy Kyle's Gamercard

Awards Showcase You ARE the Controller Challenge Club - Tier 1   Road Map - Platinum   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Submit - Diamond   Micro Guide - Silver   XBA Promoter   2,500 Posts   Achievement Guide - Gold   Over Achiever - Bronze   Referrals - Bronze   A+ Thread Award   Bright Idea
Total Awards: 12 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny34 View Post
I think a few times.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:11 AM   #20
UCanCallMeDuckey

There's a market not far from where I live that lets you make your own 6 pack. It's nice because it gives you the opportunity to try a variety of beers without fear of having 5 extra bottles of something you find out you don't like. I don't really drink much anymore, but when I did these were a few that I liked. And I know Guinness was already mentioned but I'm giving it an honorable mention, both the draught and the stout, because it was the first beer I ever drank.

I Fink you Freaky and I like you a lot

UCanCallMeDuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:25 AM   #21
Opiate42

Opiate42's Gamercard

Quote:
I've had a few other stouts, one of my favorites is Highland Black Mocha Stout. It is amazing. Only reason I don't go too deep into the craft stouts is I hate finding something that tastes really good, but is super hard to find in my area. The reason I love Guinness so much is because it's available at every store in my area.

As nasty as 98% of the macro lagers are, I actually like PBR every once in a while.
I totally understand... up until PBR LOL!! I just can't. I'll down a Labbatt 50 before I touch that stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny34 View Post
Yes. And I will keep answering fuzzy bro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCanCallMeDuckey View Post
There's a market not far from where I live that lets you make your own 6 pack. It's nice because it gives you the opportunity to try a variety of beers without fear of having 5 extra bottles of something you find out you don't like. I don't really drink much anymore, but when I did these were a few that I liked. And I know Guinness was already mentioned but I'm giving it an honorable mention, both the draught and the stout, because it was the first beer I ever drank.
Guiness was my first legal pint at 19. And my first semi-legal pint at 16 when my aunt bought me one when we visited England.

That's pretty sweet mixnmatch. Kinda how I discovered a ton of new beers when I hit 19. The LCBO's have a "singles bin" of the bottles not broken if someone drops a six. Would go home with 12 different types of beer in my pack!

Delirium : good call, damn $$$, but worth a try for anyone uh... curious about themselves

Dead Guy Rogue: keep seeing it but haven't tried, really must move up my list.

Anchor: those guys are out of San Fran right? Only had their Ale, seen the Steam but haven't tried, didn't know the others existed, nice!!

EDIT: and the Anchor Ale was damn good!

"Hit it"

Last edited by Opiate42; 03-26-2013 at 01:36 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:54 AM   #22
UCanCallMeDuckey

Quote:
Delirium : good call, damn $$$, but worth a try for anyone uh... curious about themselves
Delirium is probably my favorite. It is kinda expensive, but it is also high in alcohol content so one beer is pretty much all you need at a time.

Some other great beers to try if you haven't already are Stella Artois, Pilsner Urquell, and Heineken.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:05 AM   #23
Kunduz

Herr Karamell's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Not really, but I'm a bit of a hellraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindicator51 View Post
In that case, people will have to download more RAM for it. Consoles have come a long way since they first appeared, so this is very possible.
Kunduz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:07 PM   #24
Smoochy

Quote:
I totally understand... up until PBR LOL!! I just can't. I'll down a Labbatt 50 before I touch that stuff.
Haha. I know PBR is a shitty mass produced macro lager, but I like it from time to time if I want something but I don't want to spend much money. It's miles better than Miller, Bud, Coors, and etc...

I went to World Market last night and bought a few bottles of some random stuff. I picked up Rogue Mocha Porter, Atwater Vanilla Java Porter, Guinness Black Lager (simply to try it, I doubt I'll care for it), and Left Hand Milk Stout. I'm most excited to try the milk stout as I've heard it's amazing.

Old 03-26-2013, 02:49 PM   #25
Opiate42

Opiate42's Gamercard

Quote:
Haha. I know PBR is a shitty mass produced macro lager, but I like it from time to time if I want something but I don't want to spend much money. It's miles better than Miller, Bud, Coors, and etc...

I went to World Market last night and bought a few bottles of some random stuff. I picked up Rogue Mocha Porter, Atwater Vanilla Java Porter, Guinness Black Lager (simply to try it, I doubt I'll care for it), and Left Hand Milk Stout. I'm most excited to try the milk stout as I've heard it's amazing.
Rogue Mocha I've only ever heard good things about.
Atwater, never heard of, but there's so many good breweries out there, too many to keep track of.
Guinness Black is decent, better flavour than regular Guinness, which I find kinda bland.
Milk Stout.... have been seeing these pop up more and more and really have to try.

Oh I'm running an experiment on the cheap beer thing:
Bottle Brew, Canadian company but I can only imagine there's something equivalent in the US. Find them in the natural food stores.
http://mbbottlebrew.com/

2L pop bottle full of the base, then you just dump the yeast in, put the special valve cap on and let it sit for two weeks then toss in the fridge to chill, still have a week to go on my red lager. Was only $6.50 for the bugger so I figured hey why not.

Will report back when it's done and I've had a chance to sample.

That weird valve cap thing:

"Hit it"
Old 03-26-2013, 04:50 PM   #26
FrozenRaptorz
Banned User

FrozenRaptorz's Gamercard
I don't know if I'm just super bias being from Wisconsin but a lot of the dark beer from Lienegukiels is delicious.

On the IPA side, Nelson and Sculpina are delicious.
FrozenRaptorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:54 PM   #27
pined5551

Traveller Nick's Gamercard

Hoegaarden. It's a Belgian white beer that has won many awards. It's amazing! Depending on the situation I'll have a nice dark beer too, sometimes with a roast beef or meat and gravy based dinner.

http://images1.makefive.com/images/e...egaarden-7.jpg

A man must know how to enjor real beer. None of that lager chav's piss.
pined5551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:53 PM   #28
UCanCallMeDuckey

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenRaptorz View Post
I don't know if I'm just super bias being from Wisconsin but a lot of the dark beer from Lienegukiels is delicious.
Have you ever had any Sprechers?

Old 03-26-2013, 07:11 PM   #29
Echilion

Quote:
and Left Hand Milk Stout. I'm most excited to try the milk stout as I've heard it's amazing.
It is a great milk stout, and even better on nitro.

Quote:
I want this stuff on my side of the border asap.
What US microbreweries do you get in Canada?
Old 03-26-2013, 09:49 PM   #30
FrozenRaptorz
Banned User

FrozenRaptorz's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCanCallMeDuckey View Post
Have you ever had any Sprechers?
Looooove Sprechers!
The brewery is free so every few months we make a celebration of going to it. It's delicious and they have such a wide range of flavored beers/root-beer. There are a lot of beer runs in Milwaukee. The one I did was a 5K and actually had beer stops instead of water, just the best idea ever.
FrozenRaptorz is offline   Reply With Quote