PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Action > Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine
Subscribe    Donate

Old 01-24-2012, 10:12 PM   #1
technopig

cordis47's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Customizing DLC armor sets

I know a lot of you, including myself, wanted this feature for a very, very long time. Well, I was browsing the Space Marine forums and found that someone has discovered a 'glitch' to do it. I have tested it myself and it works with all of the DLC armor sets.

Basically it allows you to set appearance 1 to one of the DLC chapter sets. From here you can swap out parts of the DLC armor for other armor pieces. You can't edit the color of the DLC armor, but you can edit the color of the pieces you swap in.

Anyways, here is the link for anyone who is interested:

http://www.spacemarine.com/forums/topic/9654

Here's hoping relic does not fix this!
technopig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:39 PM   #2
Miles Prower F6

Miles Prower F6's Gamercard
I hope they patch this, exploitation should not be allowed even if it's potentially harmless.
Miles Prower F6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 02:17 AM   #3
Airman Rufio

Airman Rufio's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Prower F6 View Post
I hope they patch this, exploitation should not be allowed even if it's potentially harmless.
It's completely harmless. They paid for the DLC armor, and they should be allowed to customize it as they see fit. It's purely aesthetic and doesn't effect anyone's gameplay experience.

A lot of the guides and solutions on this site are about exploitation, either the AI, a jesus spot in the environment, or straight up boosting multiplayer (ones with still thriving communities), just for achievements.

If it takes a glitch to solve the customization problem of the armor (something that should have been there in the first place), then there's nothing to be mad about. I do, however, believe that the devs have every right to patch there game as they see fit. Cheers to the dude that discovered this. By looking at that thread on the official forum, it seems that Relic doesn't mind at all and everyone is supportive and thankful to the dude who found this neat trick.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:39 AM   #4
Miles Prower F6

It's not a matter of being upset about something. It is a matter of lawfulness.

The game devs did not intend for the armor to be disassembled, therefore it should not be. Exploiting the game for however harmful or harmless it may be, is still exploitation. It isn't our place to decide what should and shouldn't be customized, it is the devs business to do that. We can voice our opinions and ask for change, but taking matters into your own hands and circumventing the coding that the devs put in place is exploitation.

Whether it is used for cosmetics, to get the upperhand in a MP game, to unlock an achievement, for shits and giggles. Exploitation is still exploitation.

Last edited by Miles Prower F6; 01-25-2012 at 10:52 AM.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:24 AM   #5
Cla55y

Bond OO7's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Platinum   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   GSL 11 Winner   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Donator - Level 1   Word of Mouth
Total Awards: 6 (more» ...)
I think we should be more concerned about how/why/if THQ lied to us. They said achievements were due yet we have none. Nor do the ps3 or steam.

So the fact that they are willing to just lie like that makes me not give a damn about some small customization glitch.

But as far as the glitch goes, they shouldnt have left it there in the first place. As with ALL in game glitches its fair game as long as no external devices are used. You can try arguing it either way but that's just the way it is. Same with boosting etc, you may not like it but its within the rules.

Anyway, wheres our damn achievements?!

Its also worth mentioning that to a lot of hardcore Warhammer fans customization is a HUGE deal, so a bug to let stuff be more customizable for them will be a dream come true. After all isn't that what video games is about? Fun? As long as they aren't ruining others fun then what is the harm? I could see if it made them invincible online you would have more of a case to be upset but this is purely cosmetic.

In the same way if you bought some blood angel figures but then painted them blue, would that be "unlawful"? it wasn't the way the figure designers intended them to be used by that person "circumnavigated" it by buying a different pot of paint...

Last edited by Cla55y; 01-25-2012 at 11:33 AM.
Cla55y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:09 PM   #6
technopig

cordis47's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
First of all, for all we know maybe the developers did want the armor sets to be able to be broken up into pieces and be repainted, but were not able to work it into the final game for whatever reason. Just because a feature isn't in the final product does not mean the developers didn't want it in the product.

That being said, customers figuring out new ways to use products that the developers never intended can be a great thing and is a great way for developers to see ways to improve their product. You can absolutely voice your opinions for change to the developers, but sometimes experimenting with the product itself and then showing that off to developers can be just as good if not better. And provided the exploitation doesn't violate any terms and conditions of use, why shouldn't people? Sure, it can be a bad thing, like when it gives someone an unfair advantage or becomes dangerous, and should definitely be rectified in those situations. Other than that, a good developer should be looking at these harmless exploits, especially the ones that ones that seem popular by the user base, and consider their use for the future. Of course, the developers have ultimate say, and can fix it in any way they want, or even leave it without changing anything, it is up to them.

But just think about it, how many products these days have gotten totally new features because some consumer used the product in a way it wasn't intended? If you are looking for a video game example, the merging of objects in Halo 3 was an exploit, and Bungie apparently liked it enough it became a full feature in Halo Reach, but Bungie never did anything to officiate or remove it from Halo 3.

Last edited by technopig; 01-25-2012 at 12:17 PM.
technopig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:22 PM   #7
Airman Rufio

Airman Rufio's Gamercard
Correct, it is exploitation. However, the connotation you give the word is negative. In this case it's positive and beneficial to both the devs and the consumers.

Speaking of exploitation, how about Relic and THQ releasing a glitched DLC with none of the advertised achievements? You can't even access the playlist and you can only play private matches on old maps. We were exploited, not them.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:14 PM   #8
Miles Prower F6

Don't be silly.

GW miniatures don't have coding or laws that are in place to prevent you from painting X miniature Y color.

Space Marine has coding in the game to prevent you from dismantling the armor sets. It just so happens that there is a loophole to accomplish this, but it was strictly not designed to be done. So what you are doing is going around the intended video game programming to suit your needs, that is why it is exploitation. That is why it shouldn't be allowed.

Saying the "what if's" about Relic potentially wanting the armor to be disassembled is too much speculation. What we know for fact, is that none of the armors can be taken apart normally. What we know is that the only way to take the armor models apart is by using an exploit. That suggests to me that Relic doesn't want the models to be taken apart.

I don't disagree that unintended events can yield some new and useful ideas. But that isn't for us to decide, that's for the developer to decide. If they like the idea, they should patch it and make the armor customizeable as normal, not customizeable through exploits. But armor customization isn't a brand new concept, I get the feeling that Relic would have made the armor already customizeable if they wanted it to be.

Exploitation is always negative. A person can't just decide to follow some rules and not follow others, you either are a lawful person and follow all the rules, or you are an unlawful person and follow the rules that only suit you.

That is the reality of it all.

The proper way to get customizeable armor isn't to take matters into your own hands and use exploits to get it. The proper way is to voice your opinion to the company. In the end if you don't get what you want, it still doesn't make it right to take matters into your own hands and circumvent the game's coding to get what you want.

It can be rationalized any way a person can manage it, but it doesn't stop it from being exploitation. And it doesn't stop exploitation from being unlawful.

That's all I really got to say about it. I don't expect to change people's minds, nor am I interested in discussing it. I just want to inform people about the opposite side of the issue.

Last edited by Miles Prower F6; 01-25-2012 at 11:33 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:33 AM   #9
Hunter Wild

pwnography's Gamercard
Virtue over Law

@Miles Prower F6

This is waaaay late in the conversation so I highly doubt it'll get read, but I'm gonna write it anyway.

I have to thoroughly disagree with you. There are a thousand examples I could come up with off the top of my head that completely contradict the Bronze Age sentiment that all laws should always be followed.

The safe go-to is always Nazis. As in all modern nations it was illegal to lie to the police. Would it be right or wrong to lie to the police when they ask if you're harboring Jews (assuming, for the argument, that you are)?

The foundational actions of the American Revolution were based on breaking the law. Is it right or wrong to live under tyranny just because it's unlawful to revolt?

Another true story, a young boy had an exceptional allergic reaction to a spider bite for which the only antivenin had not been FDA approved and was therefore unlawful to bring into the US and administer to a patient. The father flew down to Mexico, bought the antivenin, and smuggled it home for a doctor to illegally apply to the young boy. By the doctor's account, it definitively saved the child's life. Right or wrong?

We could also go into the illegality of black American slaves freeing themselves, or their descendants drinking at the 'wrong' water fountain, sitting in the 'wrong' bus seat, or going into the 'wrong' bathroom.

The examples are truly innumerable. Virtue trumps law every day of the week. So the question to be asked is what is unvirtuous about circumventing extant code (and not even anything remotely close to law) to make a purely cosmetic/aesthetic change? There's not a damn virtue I can think of that approaches this issue.

Secondarily, it's wholly inappropriate to consider consumers to be mere subjects to producers. I, and I imagine many people, despise the idea that we should be slaves to those who make our goods. Sure, we can "vote with our money" and buy something else, but I have to wonder "Why bother?" when I can actually make a harmless modification to the product that doesn't actually change how it functions or my participation in the relevant aspects of it. I would be exploiting a loophole in the game in the same way that I would be exploiting a hammer if I used it as a paperweight.
Hunter Wild is offline   Reply With Quote