PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 LIVE Arcade Games > Action > Terraria
Subscribe    Donate

Old 05-06-2013, 01:16 PM   #1
DROGTURIST

DROGTURIST's Gamercard
How does the hallow/corruption counter work?

I've been putting in some time mapping out my entire world and as I did so, it's become pretty clear that my hallow/corruption have spread thoroughly on their own. Just looking at the map screen, the hallow easily covers 40-50% while the corruption covers about 30%.

But when I go talk to the Dryad, she says 12% hallow and 8% corruption. WTF?

I thought maybe it only counted parts I've hallowed/corrupted myself, but then I realized that I've never hallowed a single block in this or any other world. I've done some minor corruption for Vile Mushroom farming but that's it.

So how exactly does this work? I was hoping I could just keep playing in this world and eventually just get the hallow/corruption achievements without even trying or maybe with some light cleanup at the end, but I guess that's not happening...
DROGTURIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:18 PM   #2
Fechdog

Fechdog's Gamercard
If you're going by naturally doing this, you will be waiting a pretty long time. The Hallow and Corruption not only take up the surface, but also ALL of the underground. That means unless you don't spread the process using unholy/holy water, then it would be pretty difficult (and painfully boring) to get these.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:43 AM   #3
DROGTURIST

DROGTURIST's Gamercard
Yes, of course. I mean that the white of the hallow and the blue-grey of the corruption together cover some 70% of the entire underground. Well, maybe it's 60% - the jungle is still pretty untouched and that's huge. Either way, it's definitely WAY more than the combined 20% that the Dryad is claiming. I don't get it.

I guess I'll have to use the glitch method to save some time and sanity since this doesn't seem to be working properly. :/
DROGTURIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:17 AM   #4
PeaceSquid

PeaceSquid's Gamercard
I'm trying to figure this out too. I'm at 28% corrupt and when I leave my Xbox running for an hour or two I might gain 1%.

Yesterday I threw 999 unholy waters around the place (the whole surface and into a lot of the hallowed) and it was still 28%.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:00 AM   #5
Kevin 737

KEVIN 737's Gamercard
I was wondering the same thing and I think I've got it figured out.

The counter is actually the percentage of Hallow/Corruption blocks compared to the total amount of blocks in the whole world.

So for example. If you somehow had an unlimited supply of corrupted sand and just filled the surface all the way up to the sky islands, the counter would go up but rather slowly because the amount of corrupted blocks would go up but also the total amount of blocks.

If you on the other hand removed all the jungle blocks (mud junglegrass etc) while not adding any other corrupted blocks the counter would still go up because the ratio corrupted/total would change in your favor.

I hope this made sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceSquid View Post
I'm trying to figure this out too. I'm at 28% corrupt and when I leave my Xbox running for an hour or two I might gain 1%.

Yesterday I threw 999 unholy waters around the place (the whole surface and into a lot of the hallowed) and it was still 28%.
The reason the counter didn't move (at least not noticeably) is because the surface of the map is just a small portion of the map. All the blocks like dirt, mud ash etc. count for the total amount of blocks.

What I did (and am still doing) is make all these shafts of 3 high to the left and right just under the surface. By doing this you will remove a lot of uncorrupted blocks which makes the counter move in your favor. between every shaft I leave 2 rows of dirt and plant grass on it (it will spread by itself if you are still above the underground layer). This wont change the total amount of block but the corrupted amount of blocks.

This is just how I see things, it might be wrong but it works for me. Hope this helps.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:49 PM   #6
PeaceSquid

PeaceSquid's Gamercard
You're mostly right. The percentage does seem to be based on total blocks in the world. If you destroyed the entire world and had 11 blocks left and corrupted 6, that'd give you the achievement.

I finished the hallowed achv yesterday. After bombing out all of the corruption and jungle areas, removing a lot of ash blocks from the underworld and having spread the hallowed to every bit of sand and stone in the world, I was still at around 45%. In the end I dropped pearlsand for a few hours to finish it off.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:39 AM   #7
ShaZZa

ShaZZa BFE's Gamercard
Well the next update will make things a "bit" easier, as it contains the clentaminator for spreading/converting the hallow/corruption/crimson and standard biomes.
To late for me but may be useful for other people that are almost there.
ShaZZa is offline   Reply With Quote