PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Shooter > The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct
Subscribe    Donate

Old 04-08-2013, 08:13 PM   #1
lukeather

LukeyHew's Gamercard
Post My Review Of This Game

• x360a.org have not made an official review for this game yet. Probably because it is not one of the years "big releases".
  • This is intended as a review which will hopefully give a highlight both the highs and lows of the game. Therefore i this out of "The Official Bitching Thread".
  • Constructive criticism is always welcome but please don't hate on my work (unless it is awful/lazy)
  • I will use a scoring system like x360a.org uses where in the total score will be an average of the scores i give excluding the achievement rating.
  • Minor spoilers below.

As many of you will already know the Walking Dead is a popular franchise both on the page and on screen. This is due to high quality writing which has provided us with some engaging stories and loveable characters (with the exception of Andrea in Season 3 of the show...). Last year TellTale Games brought the franchise to a new media, gaming. This excellent game was broken down into episodes and downloaded via XBL, it was highly character driven and gave the player choices they that mattered. Now Terminal Reality comes The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct, the some what prequel to the TV series. You take the roll of Daryl Dickson, who will be more than familiar to fans of the show, as the journeys to find his brother Meryl and eventually safety after the initial outbreak of Walkers.

The mechanics of the game are fairly simple and even look good on paper. It is a first person shooter in which to venture into different infested locations in order to complete your objective using a small arsenal of melee and ranged weapons you can scavenge from various locations. You arrive at these locations by travelings across a map in which you get to decide which directions you take based on the description of the areas the maps provide you with. The traveling also lets you choose the kind of roads you travel on which general effects how much fuel you use and how often you come across optional stops. These features however are never properly amount to anything as the choices in location are very limited and the optional stops cycle through the same handful of maps. I ended up going through the same optional destination 4 times in a row which shows how limited the game is in quantity. Along the way you also come across numerous survivors, most of which are missable or result in you having to choose between two survivors. They can be sent out to scavenge resources using weapons you provide them with in order to aid you and if your vehicle does not have seats for everyone you will be forced to dismiss a survivor who will more than likely be eaten... or find a lovely safe place and set up a family, who knows right? This yet again has promise on paper these survivors have no real dialogue and contribute nothing real to the story so getting rid of them has no effect on you and you will send them out to die in the pursuit of fuel in order to save yourself from having to stop between missions to gather it yourself.

One major thing the game has going for it is that Norman Reedus and Michael Rooker, who play Daryl and Meryl, in the TV series are doing the voices for their characters here. Rooker previously voiced Harper in CoD: Black Ops 2 so he is no stranger to voice acting in games. However their lines always feel phoned in, as they say very little and very monotone. It is upsetting really as Daryl and Meryl are popular characters in the TV series who have not shared a lot of screen time together and i as a fan of the show would of loved to have seen how these characters previously interacted with one another. Sadly their bland dialogue shines like a polished rainbow when compared to what little other dialogue there is in the game. Despite being in the thick of it from the initial outbreak you never get a sense of the events effect on people or the true horrors, something TellTales game delivered in spades.

The graphics are equally disappointing. We may be coming to the end of the xbox 360's life cycle but visually the game looks like it could of been an xbox 360 launch title. There is no colour pallet or detailed design, everything is plain and lifeless. Each location is empty with no touches to make anything stand out. One instance this becomes particularly annoying is a mission ion which you are in a dimly lit Hospital, the vacant dark rooms all look the same and soon become lost. These matters are made worse by the fact that the zombies spawn behind you after you have cleared an area most of the time so it becomes even harder to know where you have came from or feel that taking the time to fight your way through a herd is worth the effort. I strongly believe that if someone with no prior knowledge of this game picked it up pre-owned in a store that they would not be able to guess it was a recently released title.

The gameplay itself can best be described as poor. You have no real purpose other than to get from one location to another for reasons that do not really matter to you and the weapons do not have a lot of variety and the melee weapons in particular are all very similar in effectiveness. Walkers and surround you easily and jump on you one after another making you perform an extremely long grappling sequence which is far more tedious than terrifying. However in those precious hours before the gameplay becomes tedious i found myself pleasantly surprised by how much fun i was having sneaking up behind walkers in order to knife them in the head and then launch crossbow bolts into the heads of those who had noticed my not so ninja like act of violence. Sadly the crossbow is not acquired until later in the game and all other ranged weapons attract so much walker attentions that for every bullet you kill a Walker with 2 more will approach you. The game is however mercifully short, a standard run through can easily be achieved within 5 hours and replaying the game for the remaining achievements and locations won't do much more than double this so for a single player campaign only game it does not offer a lot of gameplay for your money.

In terms of achievements however the game excels! After the usual fare of progression and collectible achievements the game offers many fun challenges for you do. These can both challenge you to complete tasks in a specific way which can provide a little daunting without the aid of an achievement guide and also bring a fun element to the game. The few moments i enjoyed in the game mainly involved me trying to obtain these, huddled on top of pile of log firing crossbow bolts into a Walker until the word "Porcupine" popped up on my scene. The achievement list has a wonderful balance to it and is one of the better ones that i have seen and thankfully it is relatively easy and short.

Overall The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct is a low quality game which is trying to use the TV series success to make some quick cash, as one would expect from the Publisher who brought us CoD on a yearly basis. There is no element of this game that can be described as anything more than "average" except for the achievement list. However if you can pick it up cheap for under half it's initial retail value then i would recommend picking it up if you want to get some quick and easy gamerscore and experience some mindless action on a weekend.
  • AUDIO: 20
  • VISUALS: 30
  • PLAYABILITY: 50
  • DELIVERY:30
  • ACHIEVEMENTS:80
  • OVERALL: 33 POOR
lukeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:51 PM   #2
Darkrenegade25

xMvPxVeNGeAnCe's Gamercard
You spelled daryl's last name wrong its dixon and you spelled "meryl" it's merle

Last edited by Darkrenegade25; 04-12-2013 at 07:53 PM.
Darkrenegade25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:03 PM   #3
Darkrenegade25

I WOULD GIVE THIS GAME A 80 or 75! This game has BAD graphics I know just shut up about that graphics aren't everything! There are some scary parts when a zombie grapples you when you turn a corner and when the herd comes you better find a roof ! I LIKE DARYL and I love MERLE (NO HOMO) I KNOW MERLE CAN BE A DICK BE HE IS FUNNY!
THE audio is also pretty good! I don't know why this guy says the audio is bad the walkers sound great! The game is overall pretty good but there are some parts they are stupid such as survivors find only 2 gallons of gas when you find like 8 or 9 sometimes
Old 04-21-2013, 07:05 PM   #4
DecadentBeaver

DecadentBeaver's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
I've heard good and bad things about this game. Still wanna Olay it and form my own opinion. Not expecting anything Luke a triple A title though

Looking for people to join me in an epic Minecraft build once again. Its in creative, so if you are interested, message me for details.
DecadentBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:16 PM   #5
Crims0nPenguin

Crims0n Penguin's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkrenegade25 View Post
I WOULD GIVE THIS GAME A 80 or 75! This game has BAD graphics I know just shut up about that graphics aren't everything! There are some scary parts when a zombie grapples you when you turn a corner and when the herd comes you better find a roof ! I LIKE DARYL and I love MERLE (NO HOMO) I KNOW MERLE CAN BE A DICK BE HE IS FUNNY!
THE audio is also pretty good! I don't know why this guy says the audio is bad the walkers sound great! The game is overall pretty good but there are some parts they are stupid such as survivors find only 2 gallons of gas when you find like 8 or 9 sometimes
Can't tell if trolling or just 12...
Crims0nPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:27 AM   #6
Birth Mark

Atrolity's Gamercard
I have to agree with DarkRenegade, even though the spelling is a bit off. I would give it a 70 or 75, it is not as bad as reviewers are making it sound. It seems more of a survival horror game then anything else. I hate the characters but I don't at the same time because that is some other guy acting how he wants to act, the graphics are not that good but I don't care at all for graphics, but I do not really have that much complaints. I think the game is fun, especially when there are a lot of zombies you are trying to sneak around, which you have limited ammo and health, it gave me an adrenaline rush. Im going to get hate for this, but I beat 1999 mode in Bioshock then started playing this, and I finally felt that me going off to look for stuff meant something besides achievements.
Birth Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:58 AM   #7
crunchb3rry

crunchb3rry's Gamercard
Call me crazy, but I liked this game. Yeah, it's straight bargain bin material. But I went through like 5 playthroughs, went for the 1000 gamerscore harder than I do most "better" games.

Yeah, it would have been better off as a $10-15 XBLA game than a $50 MSRP. I think what could help soften the blow would be simply making all the recently released DLC free.
crunchb3rry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:02 PM   #8
lighthouse777

starlight777's Gamercard
i like the game
it was just simply fun
no real story
but, heh, i like killing zombies
lighthouse777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:56 PM   #9
Darkrenegade25

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthouse777 View Post
i like the game
it was just simply fun
no real story
but, heh, i like killing zombies
EXACTLY. AND CRIMS0N don't be a dick.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:27 AM   #10
Ned King

Took this game a while to arrive from Love Film but after playing it I can't understand why its getting such bad reviews.
Yes the graphics are not the best but graphics don't make a game.
I would give it 70-75 if your a fan of show and maybe 45-50 if your not.I love the show and I enjoyed this game plus its and easy 1000 points so for an achievement site what more could you ask for lol.
Lighthouse777 give the best answer if you like killing zombies this is the game for you.
Ned King is offline   Reply With Quote