PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Main Hub > Discussion Boards > Other Systems/Handhelds > Sony Systems
Subscribe    Donate

Old 11-13-2007, 11:10 PM   #1
DrH3rbz

DrHerbz x3h's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Smile PS3 Online

Howdy

I was just wondering if the online on PS3 is as bad as I have been lead to believe, I only found out the the other day from my friend (during one of our regular IT lesson, 360 vs ps3 discussions ) that Sony uses its own servers or something so that there aren't any host quitting thus not losing the game, I thought this was pretty good, but without Sony taking on direct money as the service is free, would explain why I've heard online isn't that good, but was quickly countered by my friend saying that there isn't much lag at all, another friend even said a Halo has worse lag then a game of Resistence.

So basically, my question to the PS3 owners, is the online that much different to Xbox live's online? If it is bad, what exactly makes it bad?

I plan on getting one during next year when the list of good games would have grown more, and also home just looks too cool

-Thanks, think it all makes sense lol.
DrH3rbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 12:27 AM   #2
BlaZiN cdn

Send a message via MSN to BlaZiN cdn

Skeltum's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
I find the Playstation Network is almost the same as Xbox Live, the only real difference is I find that you can lose a server more often on the PS3, but other than that it pretty much is the same.
BlaZiN cdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 12:40 AM   #3
highpass

highpass's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   Word of Mouth   A+ Thread Award
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Actually, there are a few P2P games on the PS3, i forget exactly which but at the end of the day, unless Sony or the developer pay for/maintain dedicated servers you'll have the same P2P-based problems as Live. There is no magical force going on in the background making online play better, it's purely down to dedicated servers.

The other thing to note is that the in-game XMB is still not implemented, something i find quite odd but nevermind - it'll be sorted in the future.

The PS3 is probably not as bad as you've been lead to believe. It's a decent machine, on paper is far more capable than the 360 (minus perhaps the GPU) and for the money you pay for one you really are getting a bargain. The minute it has a decent collection of titles I expect it'll rocket in sales.

Edit; whoops, sorry - misread your first paragraph, didn't realise you were purely discussing online. Nevermind!

Last edited by highpass; 11-14-2007 at 12:46 AM.
highpass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 12:43 AM   #4
Shinobi273
Ninja Mod MKII

Shinobi273's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - AOS Puck   Staff Club - Shinobi273   5,000 Posts   Staff - Moderator   Submit - Silver   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 6 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by highpass View Post
It's a decent machine, on paper is far more capable than the 360 (minus perhaps the GPU) and for the money you pay for one you really are getting a bargain.
I'm surprised it hasn't become a practice of buying PS3s dissassembling them and selling the parts because it is so subsidized by Sony. Black market blu-ray players made from PS3s.
Shinobi273 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 12:45 AM   #5
highpass

highpass's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   Word of Mouth   A+ Thread Award
Too true, you could probably flog the parts of it for twice the amount you paid for the machine if you found the right buyer.
highpass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 01:42 AM   #6
CAMOUFLAGEiPOD

Send a message via MSN to CAMOUFLAGEiPOD

Camo x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Word of Mouth   Donator - Level 1
At first I did not like the Sony PSN menus, and after awhile it is really not that bad, you get used to it. All my friends said how bad the system was and the way I look at it, there are more things it has in common with LIVE than it doesn't. It has friend list, smaller games like arcade. Expansion packs, add ons, avatars, you can make your own custom wallpapers, it has themes as well. As far as online play, I have only been dropped from two games since I have owned my Ps3, on Xbox, I have lagged out on Halo3 , Gears, more than I could count.
Also on the PS3 theres a feature where you can have your PSP play any video or any song that is on your ps3. It feeds it, you don't have to download the vid or music.So if I want to sit in another room in my house and watch a Killzone2 vid, or gran turismo video and listen to some music, I can do that.
The better games are a coming, so stay tuned.I have no regrets at all about buying mine.
CAMOUFLAGEiPOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 09:14 AM   #7
Jdm

Jdm7399's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Referrals - Bronze   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Donator - Level 3   Bright Idea   5,000 Posts   Member of the Month   A+ Thread Award   Word of Mouth   NBA Live 1000 People Online Supporter
Total Awards: 9 (more» ...)
PSN is free and therefore I shall not complain, but I will say that the Downloads and the Updates take much longer compared to Live.

You can also browse the Web using the PS3. This is a feature I'm not sure if the 360 will ever have.

Facebook ME!
Old 11-14-2007, 05:10 PM   #8
twelve

nvqtwelve's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdm7399 View Post
PSN is free and therefore I shall not complain, but I will say that the Downloads and the Updates take much longer compared to Live
That's my only gripe with it too. The actual gameplay online is smooth for me, I've never had issues with disconnects etc.

The store needs more content added to it (or the EU one does at least, I use the US one so much more).
twelve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 05:14 PM   #9
o BL4D3 o

o BL4D3 o's Gamercard
i dont know cas i ve never played a ps3 online
o BL4D3 o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 07:05 PM   #10
W. Samuel Jones III

WSJ3's Gamercard
I have played Resistance Fall of Man many times using Playstation Online network and there is ZERO LAG...

I will say that Microsoft has the advantage with respect to their chat and Xbox Live however there is no truth to rumor that Sonys online network is bad.

Just more Xbox Fanboy bashing.

Regarding the Playstation Store download times I haven't noticed a marked difference between XBOXLIVE and PSN. Both can be slow or fast depending on the time of day and the number of users attempting to download the files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrH3rbz View Post
Howdy

I was just wondering if the online on PS3 is as bad as I have been lead to believe, I only found out the the other day from my friend (during one of our regular IT lesson, 360 vs ps3 discussions ) that Sony uses its own servers or something so that there aren't any host quitting thus not losing the game, I thought this was pretty good, but without Sony taking on direct money as the service is free, would explain why I've heard online isn't that good, but was quickly countered by my friend saying that there isn't much lag at all, another friend even said a Halo has worse lag then a game of Resistence.

So basically, my question to the PS3 owners, is the online that much different to Xbox live's online? If it is bad, what exactly makes it bad?

I plan on getting one during next year when the list of good games would have grown more, and also home just looks too cool

-Thanks, think it all makes sense lol.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:27 PM   #11
twelve

nvqtwelve's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by W. Samuel Jones III View Post
Regarding the Playstation Store download times I haven't noticed a marked difference between XBOXLIVE and PSN. Both can be slow or fast depending on the time of day and the number of users attempting to download the files.
This is true. I recently got a new 360 and realised that speeds aren't particularly different. The big difference is the content, or lack thereof on the PSN Store.

They should make certain aspects of the store global, such as the PS1 games. Japan has loads, US has slightly less and the EU has even less.

Demo's and videos come out weekly but aren't great. And original games (aka XBL Arcade) rarely come out. Live Arcade is one of my favourite things about the Marketplace and has some amazing titles. Sony need to get more Originals coming out.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:13 PM   #12
Jdm

Jdm7399's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Referrals - Bronze   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Donator - Level 3   Bright Idea   5,000 Posts   Member of the Month   A+ Thread Award   Word of Mouth   NBA Live 1000 People Online Supporter
For me, PSN's Downloads and Updates are always slower compared to Live.

I have downloaded many content and have went through a few Updates. The Updates especially, are unbearable! I basically leave my console on and turn off the TV, so I can occupy myself with something to do while I wait.

Trust me guys, it's not my Internet Connection.

Hopefully in the near future, Sony can get rid of the HTML setup and switch to XMB for the PSN.

Facebook ME!
Old 11-15-2007, 08:46 PM   #13
PerpetualHeaven

Send a message via MSN to PerpetualHeaven

Perpalicious's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Referrals - Gold   x360a Book Club   5,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1   Achievement Guide - Gold   A+ Thread Award   Word of Mouth   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
Quote:
For me, PSN's Downloads and Updates are always slower compared to Live.

I have downloaded many content and have went through a few Updates. The Updates especially, are unbearable! I basically leave my console on and turn off the TV, so I can occupy myself with something to do while I wait.

Trust me guys, it's not my Internet Connection.

Hopefully in the near future, Sony can get rid of the HTML setup and switch to XMB for the PSN.
Could be the size of the update. XBOX Live update files are almost always so small and same with the updates for games. They're generally very smallish. Again that may not be the reason. I've heard a lot of people complaining about the download times.
Achievement Completion %: 97.04
Gamerscore: 68,482

"Don't hate, perpetuate!"
PerpetualHeaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 02:02 AM   #14
Jdm

Jdm7399's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerpetualHeaven View Post
Could be the size of the update. XBOX Live update files are almost always so small and same with the updates for games. They're generally very smallish. Again that may not be the reason. I've heard a lot of people complaining about the download times.
You know, I've always wonder if it was the size of the update.

We all know that within every PS3 Firmware Update, it adds some sort of feature(whether you know it or not). That may be it, but I'm still not sure.

For the DLC's, I have downloaded similar size files on Live, so I'm not sure where the lag is coming from. PSN is always behind on the download time.

Facebook ME!
Old 11-16-2007, 04:46 AM   #15
PerpetualHeaven

Perpalicious's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Referrals - Gold   x360a Book Club   5,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1   Achievement Guide - Gold   A+ Thread Award   Word of Mouth   Submit - Bronze
Maybe because they're Japanese? Makes sense if you think about it. This site (I found out) runs on servers from Texas. So if all the servers are up in Japan, wouldn't Americans experience slower download times? That's assuming of course their servers are based in Japan. You have a wii right? Have download times for similar sized files been slower then XBL?

Old 11-16-2007, 07:47 AM   #16
Jdm

Jdm7399's Gamercard

Quote:
Maybe because they're Japanese? Makes sense if you think about it. This site (I found out) runs on servers from Texas. So if all the servers are up in Japan, wouldn't Americans experience slower download times? That's assuming of course their servers are based in Japan. You have a wii right? Have download times for similar sized files been slower then XBL?
I actually do own a Wii, but I don't play it.

I don't remember if the Wii is slow or not. It's been that long.

If the servers are in Japan, then that would definitely make the download speed slower. So would that mean 360's owners in Japan get slower dl times?

Facebook ME!
Old 11-16-2007, 01:15 PM   #17
PerpetualHeaven

Perpalicious's Gamercard

Quote:
I actually do own a Wii, but I don't play it.

I don't remember if the Wii is slow or not. It's been that long.

If the servers are in Japan, then that would definitely make the download speed slower. So would that mean 360's owners in Japan get slower dl times?
Probably and why haven't you used your Wii? Shouldn't you be playing some Mario Galaxy? Tisk Tisk young man!

Old 11-16-2007, 03:57 PM   #18
W. Samuel Jones III

WSJ3's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelve View Post
This is true. I recently got a new 360 and realised that speeds aren't particularly different. The big difference is the content, or lack thereof on the PSN Store.

They should make certain aspects of the store global, such as the PS1 games. Japan has loads, US has slightly less and the EU has even less.

Demo's and videos come out weekly but aren't great. And original games (aka XBL Arcade) rarely come out. Live Arcade is one of my favourite things about the Marketplace and has some amazing titles. Sony need to get more Originals coming out.
Good points. I think given time PSN can improve these weaknesses. XBL arcade and online currently has the advantage. The competition between the 2 platforms should make both better.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:39 PM   #19
twelve

nvqtwelve's Gamercard
Quote:
The 2.00 PS3 update was over 120MB, I've taken to download the updates on PC and then update from a USB memory stick.

The difference between 360 and PS3 updates is the way they are done. The dashboard updates are more like patches and only updates what needs updating whereas the PS3 updates are the full firmware each time, which is why they're much bigger and also why they take much longer to install.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:05 AM   #20
Jdm

Jdm7399's Gamercard

Quote:
Probably and why haven't you used your Wii? Shouldn't you be playing some Mario Galaxy? Tisk Tisk young man!
Young Man?

Boy, don't make me take off my belt! I'm actually older than you...little boy.

Facebook ME!
Old 11-21-2007, 11:22 AM   #21
twelve

nvqtwelve's Gamercard
Quote:
Young Man?

Boy, don't make me take off my belt! I'm actually older than you...little boy.
A year older than me too. Age must be a factor in getting bored of the wii. I play it occasionally when a new game comes out for it. But a week later when I'm bored of waving my arms around I go back to the 360 or PS3 with their next gen graphics and more conventional control schemes.