PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Shooter > Call of Duty: World at War
Subscribe    Donate

Old 08-30-2010, 12:24 AM   #1
SovietCrusade

SovietSanvich's Gamercard
Grenades at War

On Veteran, I can fully say that the only thing that kills me is grenades. My record so far is six indicators at once. Help? Tips?

SovietCrusade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 03:20 AM   #2
StayonTarget
The Sum of All Zeroes

Send a message via Skype™ to StayonTarget

TheStayonTarget's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Emerald   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Gold   Donator - Level 2   CABS Beta Tester   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 1   Micro Guide - Platinum   Subscriber - Bronze   GRID 2 Award   Staff Club - Minty
Total Awards: 19 (more» ...)
Glad you aren't just bitching. Take it slowly. Kill as many as you can then rush up. Here is another thread made by some ass calling the game too hard. I know you aren't but it may have advice.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/f...d.php?t=244325
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggD View Post
Like Barad. That damn spammer.
StayonTarget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:49 AM   #3
Pearson

Biomedical Fire's Gamercard

Awards Showcase XBA Promoter   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StayonTarget View Post
Glad you aren't just bitching. Take it slowly. Kill as many as you can then rush up. Here is another thread made by some ass calling the game too hard. I know you aren't but it may have advice.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/f...d.php?t=244325
About all you can do is what StayonTarget has said, take it slow, clear out as many enemies as you can, move up and try to get to a checkpoint. Almost everyone here has had the same problem with the grenade spamming. Plus you're right, it should be called "Grenades at War" instead.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:47 AM   #4
RadiantViper

radiantviper's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   Submit - Bronze
Patience. Honestly, that's all there is to it. Don't get too frustrated when the game kills you in absolutely bullshit ways, walk away from the game for a bit if needed.

Try different things until you find one that's working pretty good, and keep trying it - if you can't get through, switch to a different tactic/path. Don't get stuck on one tactic for too long if it's not working.

As for grenades, even if you're totally screwed with enemies all around and a bunch of grenades landing at your feet, I recommend always trying to escape. 9 times out of 10 you won't make it, but if you do there's a chance that one time you escape will be the one attempt that gets you to the next checkpoint. If you're screwed anyways, might as well try and see what happens, right?
RadiantViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 11:52 PM   #5
SovietCrusade

Aight, thanks guys.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:33 AM   #6
AngelHeva

AngelHeva's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Gamer Chick!
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
yeah i agree with what the others have said, just go slowly. you don't get anything for finishing it quicker than anybody else as far as the grenades go i've said it many times before that i don't think they were all that bad - the majority you could throw back so i just kinda thought of it as the computer helping you out? *shrug*

what level are you up to? x
AngelHeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 02:02 AM   #7
SovietCrusade

Any tips on the mission where you have to get into the Reichstag? I always die right after the first heavy artillery

Old 09-02-2010, 03:15 AM   #8
blee717

o BLEE x's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by SovietCrusade View Post
Any tips on the mission where you have to get into the Reichstag? I always die right after the first heavy artillery
Oh my god that was such a pain. I pretty much rushed up there every single time. It seems the enemies don't stop spawning so I rushed to one point, spray along the way and take cover. Don't take cover for too long or you'll be in for a rude awakening of grenades. This was the hardest mission I had to do for this game.

"CoD doesn't stand for Call of Duty, it stands for Camp or Die"
-Serjio Duarte (Anvil Gate)-

"The new Dante looks like he just walked out of a gay Twilight movie"
-Me-
"Or worse, Taintlight"
-Serjio Duarte (Anvil Gate)-

blee717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:45 AM   #9
StayonTarget
The Sum of All Zeroes

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Emerald   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Gold   Donator - Level 2   CABS Beta Tester   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 1   Micro Guide - Platinum   Subscriber - Bronze   GRID 2 Award   Staff Club - Minty
Quote:
Originally Posted by SovietCrusade View Post
That's what I was referring to by my post. Get to the wall on the right, try to spawn the tank to move up then run back to a wall. Shoot as many nazis as you can, then make a mad dash to the building on the right. Once you get there, you made it. Clear out the guy or whatever in the building and to the left and plant the bomb. Then back out the door you went in and find the panzershreck. Use that on the second 88 on the left. You should get a checkpoint, sigh, and take a look at your sweaty hands knowing that the rest of the game is somewhat easy.
Quote:
Old 09-02-2010, 12:37 PM   #10
AngelHeva

AngelHeva's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Gamer Chick!
don't worry about asking for tips - you'll do the level that many times that you'll work out where baddies come from and what to do all by yourself!! lmao seriously though, it is so frustrating isn't it? i looked at youtube videos and to be honest didn't find them much help, i also looked at guides and they wasn't much help either. in the end i really did just learn by trial and error and finally managed to do it keep trying and don't give up. it isn't impossible as if it was so many of us wouldn't of managed to do it would we? good luck! x
AngelHeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:50 PM   #11
KIDDRAGON67

Sir Vegemite's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Remember two Panzerscrek rockets take out an artillery piece (or 1 not 100% on it).

And with the stairs bit I recall their being a PTRS Sniper in one of the blown up buildings which will come in handy.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:08 AM   #12
Mr Snipey

Pleese Shoot Me's Gamercard
It's the single hardest thing about this game. What is most essential on Veteran:

COVER

What do they force you to sprint out of when they spam you with grenades?

COVER

Mr Snipey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:13 PM   #13
xPacking Heat

xpacking heat's Gamercard
Yeah, agreed. Veteran is all about cover.
xPacking Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:43 PM   #14
Angry Squrriel

AngrySqurriel's Gamercard
Like everyone else has said, its all about patience, then a mad dash to the next bit of cover.

On that level, the amount of times i got to building/wall, then a enemy would spawn behind me for some reason and just shoot me in the back, so frustrating. This is the only game that i really wanted to throw the disc out the window! Good feeling when you complete it though.
Angry Squrriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:54 AM   #15
sr20sentra

Send a message via AIM to sr20sentra

sr20sentra's Gamercard
All it is really is trial and error for the most part everything is set and and you need lots of patience . once you figure out the rhythm of events it's a cake walk .
sr20sentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 02:31 PM   #16
Nitewalkar

Send a message via Skype™ to Nitewalkar

Nitewalkar's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
When all was said and done this game really tested me on veteran, and you're right. It wasn't because of the AI's aim or guns, or even the amount or saturation of AI enemies. It was grenades. I constantly felt as if I was throwing them back. The third reich level, where you fight your way to the German parliment building was especially grenade filled. In the end patience, timing, and a bit of run and duck luck got me through this game.
Nitewalkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 02:32 PM   #17
iiDaRReN316x

i7z iDaRReNx's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Yes, this game was HELL On veteran

iiDaRReN316x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 04:28 AM   #18
badandy400

badandy400's Gamercard
Somewhere someone said "If the Germans were that good with grenades they would dominate the world!" That pretty much sums it up. Yup, I am going to bitch a little. I have seen six indicators on many occasions. Worse is when I throw the first one back I see several more coming my way! I was extremely annoyed by the issue. This is not a baseball game, I am not an outfielder picking things up off the ground to throw back. It was not as bad when they actually landed on you and gave time to throw back since it like getting free grenades. Waiting for them to blow up all the time was annoying.

I can not tell you how many times I was forced to do something stupid because of too many grenades, such as run from good cover long before I was ready to. Ever notice how if you are somewhere that only has one direction to run they always seem to land on that path so that no matter what you do you are screwed?!?!

I have been in many history classes and such and can say that I have never read about the German combat tactic that included have a soldier chuck a case of grenades at the same guy! Enough bitching now.

Going slow really did not offer much help to me. It seemed that if I took cover to be careful the grenades simply rained on me. Moving more actually seemed to help. Also, keeping near tanks was a good thing, especially on Heart of the Reich, because they tended to land on the other side more often. Once the first grenade comes you know it is time to change cover and try to retreat back beyond their range, which is seemingly impossible at times.

My hope is that they do not repeat this in the new Black Ops game.

Last edited by badandy400; 10-02-2010 at 04:39 AM.
badandy400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 04:37 AM   #19
badandy400

badandy400's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry Squrriel View Post
Like everyone else has said, its all about patience, then a mad dash to the next bit of cover.

On that level, the amount of times i got to building/wall, then a enemy would spawn behind me for some reason and just shoot me in the back, so frustrating. This is the only game that i really wanted to throw the disc out the window! Good feeling when you complete it though.
I think I know what you are talking about. I had the same issue. I assume you are referring to the small building between all the 88's that has only a front and back door, a wall in the middle and no windows.

The guys are not actually spawning behind you, they spawn 3 feet in front of you. Through much trial and mostly error I found that they do this if you retreat back to the entrance side of the building to get away from grenades (perhaps a bullet, but mostly grenades)! Because you are then behind the spawn point and your guys have not moved up yet the point is active when ever you are not passed it. You need to get beyond that wall and stay there until you kill a few of the guys to the left, which triggers your team to move up, thus disabling that spawn point.

It is said that I spent enough time there to figure this out. I was killed several times when trying to heal or get away from grenades because the game thought it would be fun to harass me in what I believe was the most difficult mission in the game on veteran or any level for that matter.
badandy400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:25 AM   #20
bwfcskillsinhd

i Mr Pete's Gamercard
yep no shortage of grenades here
bwfcskillsinhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:03 AM   #21
x SL1M SHADY X

SLlM SHAAADY's Gamercard
Grenades are the game's way of saying " You are not allowed to take cover, get out from behind there and DIE "
Old 11-04-2011, 11:30 PM   #22
Evil Submariner

SzO PROMTHEUS's Gamercard
Man you guys are so right. When i was doing burn em out i threw a grenade and saw no joke a wall of grenades coming at me. They all circled me and i counted 9 before i died. It is just amazing to me that spamming grenades was their idea of how veteran should be hard.
Evil Submariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:14 AM   #23
x SL1M SHADY X

SLlM SHAAADY's Gamercard
Lets thank God that the Nazi's weren't really this good with Grenades in WWII
Old 12-17-2011, 06:50 AM   #24
Shaman

The Shaman's Gamercard
Dont rush, stick with the AI. And try to toss back as many as you can.
Shaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:13 PM   #25
StayonTarget
The Sum of All Zeroes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
Dont rush, stick with the AI. And try to toss back as many as you can.
They infinitely respawn. So you have to kill as many as you can quickly then get your team mates to move up. You learn the positions that they'll advance very quickly.
Quote:
Old 12-26-2011, 04:58 PM   #26
SenileMunkee

SenileMunkee's Gamercard
The grenades are just fan-friggin-tastic! lol I found myself using bolt rifle guns and distance from the guys - then trying to rush spawns and hope my guys could clean up behind me.

Every tactic you learn in the game is useless in Heart of Reich - playing through you learn patterns/how to get to spawn areas/etc... but when it comes to Heart of Reich all the lil tricks you try to get past previous boards help you none.

It's tough - large challenge!
SenileMunkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:21 PM   #27
hotdogenigma

ToastiestCape0's Gamercard
Just keep on moving when you get a chance. Take it slow and methodically pick off the enemies in sequence.
hotdogenigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:36 AM   #28
MattMoses

mattmoses's Gamercard
Veteran mode has definately tested my patience, but once you learn to take cover and push up with the AI at the right time it becomes alot easier.
MattMoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:04 PM   #29
JimCant

JimCant's Gamercard
I am literally on the last checkpoint of the last mission, Downfall and should be done hopefully tonight (I mean hopefully if I can get past this last part!...)

Overall this game is really good. It is definitely one of the toughest COD I have done on Veteran.

There were some missions that I found to be really easy and even in the hard missions like Heart of Reich and Downfall, there are really really easy parts. Just some segments are insanely hard and have what appears to be a grenade glitch (if you havent heard about the grenade spamming problem then this is probably the first post you have ever ever read about WAW).

But if you keep moving around and going prone and throwing back grenades it really isnt too bad. You really need to learn where the parts of the missions where you need to be so that your AI will move up. This is imperative and if you can get to a point fast enough you can cut of the infinite spawns.

I bet these Germans were really good at carnival games and those tossing games. I dont understand how 1 german can throw 4 perfectly places grenades over and over and over again! I call bullshit!

JimCant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:45 AM   #30
camokazi123

camokazi123's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPacking Heat View Post
Yeah, agreed. Veteran is all about cover.
This is probably the most true statement about CoD that I have ever read.
camokazi123 is offline   Reply With Quote