PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Main Hub > Discussion Boards > Games
Subscribe    Donate

Old 05-15-2013, 10:05 AM   #1
alberkhav

lisa's Gamercard
What is there to get excited by Playstation 4?

I'm a current PS3 owner and made the effort to get a 60GB PS3 because I want my PS3 to play all Playstation games. Rather than simply being wowed by graphics I like to have the biggest choice possible in games, with the PS3 already being pretty impressive and development times for the most modern, most complicated games being so great now the PS3 doesn't feel like its coming to the end of its life, it feels as if it could easily last 10-12 years. Only this year we will have GTA 5 for it which promising to be very impressive and immersive in graphics, what do we need a new console for?
The PS3's library of games isn't as comprehensive as PS2 for precisely the reason that PS3 games are much more graphics intensive and complicated in nature, the PS4 coming along can only reduce the choice in available games by shutting down the PS3 far too early.

The PS4, so is it worth it?

Having to buy a new console just to get a few new games they probably could have developed for the PS3 instead if it weren't for the "market" such as the new Uncharted and Final Fantasy, the PS4 just means the end of what is already a highly developed console for what is only an incremental bit of progress in gaming development, the PS3 was much more of a chasm leap from the PS2 in terms of technology as was the PS2 from the PS1.

Goodbye to your old games, not only is Sony planning to offer ZERO support for your PS3 library but it's also planning to be hostile to second hand games with the rumour that PS4 games might be tied to the Sony Entertainment Network online. Unsurprisingly the only access you'll get to PS2 and PS1 games will be that way too.

There's nothing that jumps out and "wows" you in terms of PS4's new features, a few of them sound nice enough but could have easily been applied to/added to the PS3. Streaming games to Vita, recording your last few minutes in gameplay, the eye movement in the controller with camera and microphone, these aren't quantum type leaps like the last time such as the Blu-Ray drive over DVD, the ability to use Wi-Fi for the first time and network gaming in the box, the PS4 is a victim I feel of the PS3 actually being so good, so good that the improvement over the PS2 was massive, it felt exciting to get a PS3 but I'm stopping there.

The PS4 will probably pack less features than that first PS3 60GB with the PS2 backwards compatibility, it'll probably have no SD card reader, it's rumoured not to be playing Audio CD's yet it has the same Blu-Ray drive, it's all about the graphics which I feel are already impressive on the PS3, the PS3 even offers 3D in games already and support for 3D Blu-Rays! The only thing the PS4 will do is bring it on par with PC gaming as it's improved, but big flippin' deal the key thing to making games fun is ideas and content. Nintendo isn't the front runner of graphics and their consoles are underpowered yet some of their games are indeed the most fun, surely Playstation must realise this too? If you keep changing consoles every 5 minutes and closing each library off, then you're not build up a lot of content are you?
alberkhav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:46 PM   #2
WOLFkraut

WOLFkraut's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
I think you are on the wrong site, lol. If you want to discuss the PS3/4, we do have a forum for that, but you'll get a much better response on the PS3Trophies.org site or some other PS/Sony forum.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:48 PM   #3
AmbaLaBamba

AmbaLaBamba's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Road Map - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   Over Achiever - Bronze   1,000 Posts   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Gamer Chick!
Total Awards: 6 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLFkraut View Post
I think you are on the wrong site, lol. If you want to discuss the PS3/4, we do have a forum for that, but you'll get a much better response on the PS3Trophies.org site or some other PS/Sony forum.
This. You will get a better response from the sister site and no doubt some people will come in this thread just to bitch and moan about the PS3/4 because it's a shitty console and Xbox is bettuh!!

But to add my two cents to this, I have never traded in a console in order to buy a new one. I've either bought it near release or waited long enough for the price to drop to something reasonable and for the bundled games to get slightly better and bigger (more than just one or two bundled together with the console) so support for my current library isn't such a big deal for me. Could see how it could effect others though who aren't in the same position as me.

These console have been out for a while though and more people are asking for the next step up, hence all of this discussion about next-gen consoles. I think though that some of the future titles that are being released on current console may fair better on next-gen, but then again I want to play them sooner rather than later so I don't really care.

Last edited by AmbaLaBamba; 05-15-2013 at 08:51 PM.
AmbaLaBamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:04 PM   #4
WalterWhite

Awards Showcase Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze   2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alberkhav View Post
I'm a current PS3 owner and made the effort to get a 60GB PS3 because I want my PS3 to play all Playstation games. Rather than simply being wowed by graphics I like to have the biggest choice possible in games, with the PS3 already being pretty impressive and development times for the most modern, most complicated games being so great now the PS3 doesn't feel like its coming to the end of its life, it feels as if it could easily last 10-12 years. Only this year we will have GTA 5 for it which promising to be very impressive and immersive in graphics, what do we need a new console for?
The PS3's library of games isn't as comprehensive as PS2 for precisely the reason that PS3 games are much more graphics intensive and complicated in nature, the PS4 coming along can only reduce the choice in available games by shutting down the PS3 far too early.

The PS4, so is it worth it?

Having to buy a new console just to get a few new games they probably could have developed for the PS3 instead if it weren't for the "market" such as the new Uncharted and Final Fantasy, the PS4 just means the end of what is already a highly developed console for what is only an incremental bit of progress in gaming development, the PS3 was much more of a chasm leap from the PS2 in terms of technology as was the PS2 from the PS1.

Goodbye to your old games, not only is Sony planning to offer ZERO support for your PS3 library but it's also planning to be hostile to second hand games with the rumour that PS4 games might be tied to the Sony Entertainment Network online. Unsurprisingly the only access you'll get to PS2 and PS1 games will be that way too.

There's nothing that jumps out and "wows" you in terms of PS4's new features, a few of them sound nice enough but could have easily been applied to/added to the PS3. Streaming games to Vita, recording your last few minutes in gameplay, the eye movement in the controller with camera and microphone, these aren't quantum type leaps like the last time such as the Blu-Ray drive over DVD, the ability to use Wi-Fi for the first time and network gaming in the box, the PS4 is a victim I feel of the PS3 actually being so good, so good that the improvement over the PS2 was massive, it felt exciting to get a PS3 but I'm stopping there.

The PS4 will probably pack less features than that first PS3 60GB with the PS2 backwards compatibility, it'll probably have no SD card reader, it's rumoured not to be playing Audio CD's yet it has the same Blu-Ray drive, it's all about the graphics which I feel are already impressive on the PS3, the PS3 even offers 3D in games already and support for 3D Blu-Rays! The only thing the PS4 will do is bring it on par with PC gaming as it's improved, but big flippin' deal the key thing to making games fun is ideas and content. Nintendo isn't the front runner of graphics and their consoles are underpowered yet some of their games are indeed the most fun, surely Playstation must realise this too? If you keep changing consoles every 5 minutes and closing each library off, then you're not build up a lot of content are you?
Didn't even read it.

Go ask Playstation questions on a Playstation website, there's a link to a really good one at the top of every page on this site. Or go to the appropriate sub-forum buried in a deep dark dungeon that nobody visits.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:04 PM   #5
XoNiNjAlEoNoX

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Games.

/10charizards

Just another freak, in the freak kingdom.
...shame that it's a mad world.
XoNiNjAlEoNoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:08 PM   #6
One Winged Joker

DarkSephiroth93's Gamercard
Not excited at all about the PS4, but I'm not any more excited about the next Xbox. I have both PS3 and 360 as well, and there's still plenty to play in both consoles. In fact, I think there's more to play than I'll be ever able to play. XD

One Winged Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:12 PM   #7
AmbaLaBamba

AmbaLaBamba's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Road Map - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   Over Achiever - Bronze   1,000 Posts   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Gamer Chick!
Total Awards: 6 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Winged Joker View Post
Not excited at all about the PS4, but I'm not any more excited about the next Xbox. I have both PS3 and 360 as well, and there's still plenty to play in both consoles. In fact, I think there's more to play than I'll be ever able to play. XD
My backlog is unbelievable, I still have PS2 games I have played or finished.

AmbaLaBamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:58 PM   #8
One Winged Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmbaLaBamba View Post
My backlog is unbelievable, I still have PS2 games I have played or finished.
Same here. I always swear I'll play like there's no tomorrow during the summer (what I actually do ), but there's just no end to them! If most of them are looooong RPGs, and you love to squeeze every single bit of whichever game you're playing... Then you could easily wait five or six more years for the next generation. Which is clearly my case.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:15 PM   #9
Gackt
Banned User

Awards Showcase Staff Club - Gackt   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Gold   SOTF Winner   GSL 8 Winners   The Helping Hand   Bright Idea   Word of Mouth   Donator - Level 1   Submit - Bronze   Artist of the Month
Total Awards: 15 (more» ...)
What is there to get excited about? Better larger games, better performance, awesome better graphics and frame rates. People like to say graphics are not that important...and they are right in a sense, but graphics really help with immersion which is just about the most important thing when it comes to gaming at least for me.
Better hardware will enable developers to do things they couldn't this gen, more going on on screen, better physics, better textures, draw distance...for the love of god draw distance on console games makes me want to kick a baby. lol.
Also...with new gen consoles comes new exciting IP's. Unfortunately I can't get past the fuckin controller sony has...analog sticks directly across from each other is uncomfortable.
Gackt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:25 PM   #10
One Winged Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gackt View Post
What is there to get excited about? Better larger games, better performance, awesome better graphics and frame rates. People like to say graphics are not that important...and they are right in a sense, but graphics really help with immersion which is just about the most important thing when it comes to gaming at least for me.
Better hardware will enable developers to do things they couldn't this gen, more going on on screen, better physics, better textures, draw distance...for the love of god draw distance on console games makes me want to kick a baby. lol.
Also...with new gen consoles comes new exciting IP's. Unfortunately I can't get past the fuckin controller sony has...analog sticks directly across from each other is uncomfortable.
I see your point. Which makes me think that, by the time I'll finish every game in my backlog, all those new IPs should be numerous and the hardware should be already fully developed. And at a good price.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:25 PM   #11
Gackt
Banned User

Awards Showcase Staff Club - Gackt   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Gold   SOTF Winner   GSL 8 Winners   The Helping Hand   Bright Idea   Word of Mouth   Donator - Level 1   Submit - Bronze   Artist of the Month
Total Awards: 15 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Winged Joker View Post
I see your point. Which makes me think that, by the time I'll finish every game in my backlog, all those new IPs should be numerous and the hardware should be already fully developed. And at a good price.
Heh, you couldn't pay me to wait on getting a next gen console. I am more than ready for an upgrade. Plus with the Oculus Rift getting nothing but high praise...it really leaves a lot of room for some fantastic innovative games this gen on all platforms. (anyone who hasn't heard of the Rift, it's a VR headset I highly recommend checking it out)
Gackt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:58 PM   #12
IDarK VorteXX

IDarK VorteXX's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Silver   Staff Club - * Clueless *   Staff Club - Grifter Reborn
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
The good anime/JRPGs/Japanese games they get. Everything else sucks balls.

*Thanks to Audacious for the great signature*

I wear a mask. And that mask, is not to hide who I am, but to create what I am. I'm BATMAN!!!!!!!!

Don’t believe everything you read on the Internet just because there’s a picture with a quote next to it.” – Abraham Lincoln
IDarK VorteXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:31 PM   #13
H2O

KingStarry's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by alberkhav View Post
with the PS3 already being pretty impressive and development times for the most modern, most complicated games being so great now the PS3 doesn't feel like its coming to the end of its life, it feels as if it could easily last 10-12 years
You're wrong here and so i didn't bother reading any more.

People focus on the graphics and yes our ancient consoles do a good enough job in that department. But the tech is holding games back in ways you can't see as easily.

The strain of making those graphics work means that actual gameplay features have to be scaled back.

Examples?

Battlefield 3. Limited players per map relative to PC. I'm also convinced that the reduction in destructible terrain is due to consoles struggling with frostbite 2.

Halo. In H:A i can drop a weapon, push forward, then come back and pick it up. Covenant dead bodies also persist.

Now in Halo 4 if i drop something it's gone almost instantly. Very annoying and IMO a product of making the game look pretty. There's simply not enough power left over to track items so they get continually cleaned up.

Console hardware needs updating.
H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:19 PM   #14
Arenazombie

Arenazombie's Gamercard
I think at the moment it just seems like Playstation4 is the less retarded system but of course everything we know about the next Xbox are rumours, so it could turn out way different.
Arenazombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:31 PM   #15
Jas x God

Jas x God's Gamercard
That Infamous Second Son looks pretty awesome but I think that's coming to PS3 also.
Jas x God is offline   Reply With Quote