PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion
Subscribe    Donate

Old 05-26-2013, 10:29 PM   #1
TVthePunisher

Send a message via AIM to TVthePunisher Send a message via MSN to TVthePunisher Send a message via Yahoo to TVthePunisher

TVthePunisher's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Subscriber - Bronze   Genre Competition - Second Place   Arcade Crazy - Silver   Donator - Level 1   2,500 Posts   Over Achiever - Bronze
Total Awards: 7 (more» ...)
Netflix is dropping quite a few shows as of late...

Found out yesterday that South Park is one of them, which will be available until the 29th of this month and then gone from the streaming service. I just now browsed for Spongebob Squarepants for my 4-year old son and it's gone too, googling revealed that it too was dropped (along with Dora).

Really, take your pick from any of the articles online about it...there's a lot.

Quote:
Netflix is dropping almost 1,800 items of content in May, due to a number of content deals expiring. Titles such as James Bond films Dr. No and Goldfinger will no longer be available to stream, though customers will still be able to look forward to new titles being added to the service, including an entire season of a new show.

The report by Slate mentions a large number of pre-1986 titles from MGM and United Artists would become part of the Warner Archive Instant service once they are dropped by Netflix, though this is not the cause of the titles being dropped. A representative of Netflix speaking to The Verge explained that it is part of its broader content strategy, electing to allow agreements for some relatively-unpopular titles to expire without renewal, and that a number of the older titles were aggregated by Epix.

"Netflix is a dynamic service, we constantly update the TV shows and movies that are available to our members. We will add more than 500 titles May 1, but we also have titles expiring, this ebb and flow happens all the time," reads the statement from the company. It goes on to explain how other titles, such as ParaNorman and the Hunger Games have been added in new distribution deals, among other titles.

The service also announced it will be premiering its upcoming original series Orange is the New Black on July 11. The season, consisting of 13 one-hour episodes, follows a woman that is pulled from New York to spend a year in prison, with the season covering the trials and tribulations of the incarceration period. The new series is part of Netflix's original content plan, which has previously included House of Cards, Hemlock Grove, and Arrested Development.
http://www.electronista.com/articles...ibution.deals/

I don't like this...I remember awhile ago, maybe last year or the year before, Netflix was the target of hate due to how much they were charging or some crap like that. Then again I believe they alienated customers doing something else...and now they drop popular programming as "innovation", while pushing their "Original Series".

I'm not sure if I'll keep paying on this for next month...there are still shows my son finds on there that he watches, but after I finish Season 4 of Sons of Anarchy I won't have much use for the service anymore. I was just REALLY getting into South Park too and here they go DROPPING IT. Fuckers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenderPowguin View Post
I'll support any post of CrazyMv94's that isn't whining from lack of social connection.
TVthePunisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:38 PM   #2
WalterWhite

Awards Showcase Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze   2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
This should probably be in the Television area of the forum but it's still very interesting. There has been talk of this for years now, I guess it's finally happening. I have noticed the stuff that they have added recently has been even more z-list quality than they're already famous for. If they don't replace some of these content deals that are dropping off, I could see cancelling my subscription eventually if the content is poor.

I'm about halfway through the new season of Arrested Development right now, so for today I'm a very happy Netflix subscriber.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:50 PM   #3
Burnout x360a

M1KE 08's Gamercard

Awards Showcase XBA Promoter   Submit - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   5,000 Posts
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
On the opposite side, our Netflix has improved albeit slowly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterWhite View Post
I'm about halfway through the new season of Arrested Development right now, so for today I'm a very happy Netflix subscriber.
I'm addicted to that show now, long way to go though.

^ By Xerofox, thanks!
Twitter lSteam

Burnout x360a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:04 AM   #4
Felonious Monk

HopeStillFlies's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Gamer Chick!   1,000 Posts   Over Achiever - Silver
The good news about South Park is that Matt and Trey have come out saying that they don't care about people acquiring it through less than legitimate means.

Really, though, I'm tired of all these corporate masters dictating what I watch. I think a VPN was the best purchase I made this year.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:37 AM   #5
Nevander

Nevander's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   Referrals - Bronze   Road Map - Silver   Achievement Guide - Silver   5,000 Posts
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
As long as they don't drop The Walking Dead, they can drop whatever else they want.

Signature by Gackt. Click it to visit the Classic FPS Gamers x360a social group!
Random friend requests or invites sent with no message will be deleted.
I have moved to PC gaming for the most part, so I won't be on Xbox LIVE much anymore.
Nevander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:10 AM   #6
The Pants Party
You're Not Invited

Za Pantsupati's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Road Map - Diamond   Staff - Super Moderator   Micro Guide - Platinum   15,000 Posts   Staff Club - Never Final   Staff Club - Minty   Staff Club - Shiftie   Staff Club - The Pants Party   Staff Club - AOS Puck   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Gold   Referrals - Gold
Total Awards: 20 (more» ...)
They've paid a lot of money to get some high profile stuff, as well as fund their original stuff. On the flip side of that, they snap up all the cheapest shit they can to inflate their numbers, and hope people don't notice because they have Hunger Games and Walking Dead that the majority of their selection is complete crap.

I really wish they had any interest in anime, the only additions to that selection in the past year have been Marvel/DC animated stuff which shouldn't be in the section anyway. They don't really get many good horror movies. Their indie selection is decent. TV isn't half bad though it doesn't have any premium stuff.

There's good and there's bad, but it's only $8 for unlimited watching so how much can you really complain?

I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
The Pants Party is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:02 AM   #7
njdevils17

MVDEVILS17's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Monk View Post
The good news about South Park is that Matt and Trey have come out saying that they don't care about people acquiring it through less than legitimate means.
You don't even have to "steal" South Park episodes. Anyone can watch any South Park episode on southparkstudios.com which is essentially the official South Park website. I honestly would never bother to stream South Park on Netflix when it's always available on the Internet.

New Jersey Devils 2012 Eastern Conference Champs
New York Giants 07-08 and 11-12 Super Bowl Champs

njdevils17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:03 AM   #8
Yeffrey
Banned User

Yeah they dropped Rescue Me while I was in the 3rd of 5 seasons. Was not impressed.

Haven't been back since.
Yeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:06 AM   #9
Gackt
Banned User

Awards Showcase Staff Club - Gackt   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Gold   SOTF Winner   GSL 8 Winners   The Helping Hand   Bright Idea   Word of Mouth   Donator - Level 1   Submit - Bronze   Artist of the Month
Total Awards: 15 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeffrey View Post
Yeah they dropped Rescue Me while I was in the 3rd of 5 seasons. Was not impressed.

Haven't been back since.
It's on there now
Gackt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:50 AM   #10
Merch

GoodCoffeeJoey's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Artist of the Month   VGO Gold Medal   1,000 Posts   Micro Guide - Bronze   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 6 (more» ...)
They have the new Arrested Development. Nothing else matters.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:45 PM   #11
The Pants Party
You're Not Invited

Awards Showcase Road Map - Diamond   Staff - Super Moderator   Micro Guide - Platinum   15,000 Posts   Staff Club - Never Final   Staff Club - Minty   Staff Club - Shiftie   Staff Club - The Pants Party   Staff Club - AOS Puck   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Gold   Referrals - Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Tommit View Post
Dropping shows and movies seems to be something Netflix is quite famous for. I guess like all other servers there must be a limit on the storage so maybe it is done for the sake of adding new content.
I don't think it is storage, it is likely expiring contracts. They pay to have the show streaming for a certain period of time and need to pay again for another period of time... or they don't choose to do that and it gets dropped.

Old 05-27-2013, 02:24 PM   #12
Aceman417

Aceman417's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Over Achiever - Bronze   XBA Promoter   Donator - Level 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVthePunisher View Post
Found out yesterday that South Park is one of them, which will be available until the 29th of this month and then gone from the streaming service. I just now browsed for Spongebob Squarepants for my 4-year old son and it's gone too, googling revealed that it too was dropped (along with Dora).

Really, take your pick from any of the articles online about it...there's a lot.

http://www.electronista.com/articles...ibution.deals/

I don't like this...I remember awhile ago, maybe last year or the year before, Netflix was the target of hate due to how much they were charging or some crap like that. Then again I believe they alienated customers doing something else...and now they drop popular programming as "innovation", while pushing their "Original Series".

I'm not sure if I'll keep paying on this for next month...there are still shows my son finds on there that he watches, but after I finish Season 4 of Sons of Anarchy I won't have much use for the service anymore. I was just REALLY getting into South Park too and here they go DROPPING IT. Fuckers.
I don't use Netflix but zi know what it is like when you are watching a show and it is dropped and you can't see it anymore.

Too bad you don't live in Aus or I would offer to send you the South Park seasons.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:57 PM   #13
punker

punkerhardcore's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Silver   1,000 Posts   Submit - Bronze
Netflix just wants a new start. They'll probably get a vanity plate to reflect that, too.

Your = possessive. As in, "your grammar sucks."
You're = you are. As in, "you're an idiot for not knowing the difference."

Proper capitalization matters. There is a massive difference between, "I helped my Uncle Jack off a horse," and, "i helped my uncle jack off a horse."
punker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:14 AM   #14
Delphan Rane

Send a message via AIM to Delphan Rane Send a message via MSN to Delphan Rane

Esphyrian 01's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Gamer Chick!
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVthePunisher View Post
Yeah, they changed their DVD service to NOT include streaming, so if you still wanted both you had to pay an extra $7.99. Right after that they took away the Starz content, which was the majority of the halfway decent programming they had.

The only reason why I currently have the Netflix streaming service is b/c I have a 1yr free subscription. When it runs out, so will my patronage.

Delphan Rane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:21 AM   #15
JORDAN K 95

Send a message via Skype™ to JORDAN K 95

JORDAN K 95's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
im from the uk and recently changed to the US / Canada netflix

and the uk netflix is full of shit, and the american one is much much better!

Thanks for the sig Gackt

BF4 RANK:
JORDAN K 95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 02:01 PM   #16
wicket1

Netflix sucks
wicket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:18 AM   #17
DontTellNobody

DontTellNobody's Gamercard
They need to put the other seasons of American Horror Story on. Not just the first. Finished the first and LOVED it!
DontTellNobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:18 AM   #18
LeafRaider

LeafRaider's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by JORDAN K 95 View Post
im from the uk and recently changed to the US / Canada netflix

and the uk netflix is full of shit, and the american one is much much better!
Lovefilm is better than netflix for the UK if you ever want to stick to the home turf. Plus you can pay that bit extra and rent dvd's & games which is where I end up getting most of the Xbox titles I play from haha.

8th of January 2011: The little black box entered my home.

Cheers Rajeanero for the sig

Several months later: I haven't let the damn controller go.

I am willing to be apart of a Forza 2 speedring race or if anyone could help me with this, just need that 1million credit achievement to be motivated to finish up the timetrials and that

If you're going to add me then at least send a message saying why. I'm not going to accept random friend requests.
LeafRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:03 AM   #19
Jamski

Send a message via MSN to Jamski Send a message via Skype™ to Jamski

jamski07's Gamercard
24, Lost, Breaking Bad, Dexter, Prison Break, Weeds, Arrested Development and I could go on.

We tried all the streaming services and for the TV series Netflix was far better than Love Film. We don't have time to sit down and watch films but being able to throw on an episode of something is great. We love Netflix.

Daddy, husband, designer, gamer, geek

Jamski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:29 PM   #20
Opiate42

Location: Canada, likely stuck in a snowdrift...with no shovel

Opiate42's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Silver   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Submit - Bronze   XBA Promoter   Staff Club - DEG23   Over Achiever - Bronze   5,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
http://projectfree.tv/

This is where my gf and I have been catching up on episodes of Bob's Burgers. It's fucking hilarious.

"Hit it"
Opiate42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:54 AM   #21
Ari Haswari
Banned User

HOnestly I don't know why people still use services like netflix and redbox. All they're doing is wasting money for lame services.
Ari Haswari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:44 PM   #22
TVthePunisher

Send a message via AIM to TVthePunisher Send a message via MSN to TVthePunisher Send a message via Yahoo to TVthePunisher

TVthePunisher's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Subscriber - Bronze   Genre Competition - Second Place   Arcade Crazy - Silver   Donator - Level 1   2,500 Posts   Over Achiever - Bronze
Total Awards: 7 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevils17 View Post
You don't even have to "steal" South Park episodes. Anyone can watch any South Park episode on southparkstudios.com which is essentially the official South Park website. I honestly would never bother to stream South Park on Netflix when it's always available on the Internet.
BTW, just going to reply to this but shortly after Netflix dropped South Park I began using southparkstudios. I love this site, with adblock plus I can get rid of those silly commercials too ;>_> I was seriously getting tired of that axe commercial with the girl fondling that astronaut's face...anyways, great site and the only downfall is I don't get to see the different openings for each season =/

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenderPowguin View Post
I'll support any post of CrazyMv94's that isn't whining from lack of social connection.
TVthePunisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:47 PM   #23
The Pants Party
You're Not Invited

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Haswari View Post
HOnestly I don't know why people still use services like netflix and redbox. All they're doing is wasting money for lame services.
I'm assuming you pirate everything? These services save a lot of money for people who can't purchase things all the time or only care to watch them once, but do not want to steal them.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:30 PM   #24
Iceskater101

iceskater101's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Gamer Chick!
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Wow that sucks that they dropped classics like Southpark and Spongebob, though can't you still watch every southpark episode on the southpark/comedy central website or did they stop doing that?

credits to DEG23
Iceskater101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:33 AM   #25
RecklessCorgi

RecklessCorgi's Gamercard
Canadian netflix never really had anything good for the most part, so there isn't anything that I would really miss if it got dropped from there
RecklessCorgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:44 AM   #26
cjdavies

cjdavies82's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
I signed up for their trial a few weeks ago, and never continued after that, they had nothing I wanted to stream e.g. Thor, Captain America and some others, so stuck with Lovefilm - don't have it to stream either but had the DVD :-)

Currently on my watch list of TV series with Lovefilm:
Warehouse 13 - just seen 1st 2 episodes.
Dollhouse
Criminal Minds
Criminal Minds Suspect Behaviour
Perception
Blue Bloods
Hawaii Five-0
Lost

V - may not bother with this though as the show was cancelled, and it's frustating.

Finished watching Revenge, really enjoyed, look forward to Series 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pants Party View Post
I'm assuming you pirate everything? These services save a lot of money for people who can't purchase things all the time or only care to watch them once, but do not want to steal them.
It saves me money, 10 a month for on average 8 DVDs a month and stream as much as I want, cheaper than Sky/Virgin Media.

Also I don't feel right to steal, I don't steal from a shop, and it's no different.

Last edited by cjdavies; 07-07-2013 at 11:00 AM.
cjdavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:50 AM   #27
Burnout x360a

M1KE 08's Gamercard

Awards Showcase XBA Promoter   Submit - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   5,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdavies View Post
I signed up for their trail a few weeks ago, and never continued after that, they had nothing I wanted to stream e.g. Thor, Captain America and some others, so stuck with Lovefilm - didn't have it to stream either but had the DVD.
I agree LoveFilm is FAR superior if you're looking at films, I'm more of a TV show guy right now so Netflix had that covered, albeit smaller than our friends over in the US.

^ By Xerofox, thanks!
Twitter lSteam

Burnout x360a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:03 AM   #28
cjdavies

cjdavies82's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout x360a View Post
I agree LoveFilm is FAR superior if you're looking at films, I'm more of a TV show guy right now so Netflix had that covered, albeit smaller than our friends over in the US.
I like film and TV, so what I have done is 1 film and 1 TV list.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:43 PM   #29
LeafRaider

LeafRaider's Gamercard
Anyone on lovefilm give vikings a watch, it's rather good.

8th of January 2011: The little black box entered my home.

Cheers Rajeanero for the sig

Several months later: I haven't let the damn controller go.

I am willing to be apart of a Forza 2 speedring race or if anyone could help me with this, just need that 1million credit achievement to be motivated to finish up the timetrials and that

If you're going to add me then at least send a message saying why. I'm not going to accept random friend requests.
LeafRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:43 PM   #30
The Pants Party
You're Not Invited

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdavies View Post
I signed up for their trial a few weeks ago, and never continued after that, they had nothing I wanted to stream e.g. Thor, Captain America and some others, so stuck with Lovefilm - don't have it to stream either but had the DVD :-)
Both of those are on the US Netflix, seems like you guys get screwed. :/