PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Action > Golden Compass
Subscribe    Donate

Old 12-10-2007, 04:01 AM   #1
botafogo007

botafogo007's Gamercard
Achievement Guide

I realize there is already an achievement guide up for this game but since it looked to be incomplete and that the author was not working on the game at present I decided to write my own (with apologies to Kris Deth). Please let me know if you have anything to add or if something is unclear.

Child Of Destiny

250 Complete the game.
Complete the game to earn this achievement. Specific instructions for defeating the bosses will be listed below. You don’t have to answer a certain number of Alethiometer questions or get a certain number of symbols to get this achievement - just complete the story.

Alchemist

40 Find at least 3 Elixers of the Witch.
On "The North" stage you’ll leave camp with Iorek and end up fighting witches. As you make your way toward the witch queen there will be a number of caves that Lyra can enter but Iorek can’t (they’ll have a green glowing spot next to them) along the path. You’ll find 3 of these elixirs in the caves as you explore them for collectibles and Bloodmoss for Iorek. The achievement will unlock after you defeat Queen Vala.

Pantalaimon

100 Reach the North Camp
Story related. After "The Showdown" level you’ll unlock this achievement as part of the storyline.

Symbol Apprentice

20 Collect at least 50 Alethiometer Symbol Meanings
See "Symbol Master"

Symbol Adept

50 Collect at least 80 Alethiometer Symbol Meanings
See "Symbol Master"

Symbol Master

150 Collect all 108 Alethiometer Symbol Meanings.
Click HERE for a list of where to find the symbol meanings. You obtain these in various ways throughout the game. Many are found using Pan’s Ermine Insight ability to scan either objects or drawings on walls or other surfaces. Others are found during the levels and look like golden orbs, and still others are unlocked when you complete the secret task for each level.

Shaman Suppressor

10 Defeat the Shaman Boss
Story related. You’ll gain this achievement during the Prelude level right at the beginning of the game. You’ll be prompted on how to defeat the Shaman, but basically you just use Iorek’s slashes to break the platform he’s on and then attack him. Don’t worry about the spirit wolves he summons - just go after him.

Tank Destroyer

30 Defeat the Tranq Tank Boss
Story related. At the end of "The Showdown" Iorek will have to fight a tank. Wait until the tank is not glowing blue and run up to it. Use Y to push it over and then slash at its underside until it rights itself. You have to do this about 4 times.

Witch Dominator

30 Defeat Queen Vala
Story related. You’ll fight Queen Vala on "The North" level. Make sure you either dodge her arrows or use A to block them or she can take you down. I found the easiest way to attack her was to do a running attack (just press X while running toward her), slash her with X a couple times, then use Y to do the Witch Slam move.

Samoyed Ruler

30 Defeat the Samoyed Hunter Boss
Story related. You’ll fight the Samoyed leader on the "Camp Ambush" level. Avoid his wolverine when you can and try to stay close to him. When the ice moves him use a running attack to get within range and then just slash at him until he moves again. You’ll also want to block his charged arrow attack (when you see him glowing yellow) but make sure you stay close because he can fire off arrows very quickly.

Fire King

30 Defeat the Flame Thrower Boss
Story related. You’ll fight the Flame Thrower Boss at the end of "The Rescue." Avoid him while the timer is running but try to take out the other soldiers around him. When the timer runs out Lyra will have a snowball ready for you. You can then jump over the fire, hurl the snowball at him to put out his flame, and hack at him for a few seconds until he lights up again. You’ll probably have to do this 3 or 4 times to defeat him.

King Of Svalbard

30 Defeat King Ragnar
Story related. Iorek will fight King Ragnar on the "Svalbard Courtyard" level. He’s actually very easy. Just get the button sequences right when you’re grappling with him and you’ll be able to attack (if you miss them you’ll have to defend). Follow the prompts for how to attack him - you can use high, medium, or low attacks or a slam. As far as I can tell it doesn’t matter what you use. After a few grapple sequences you’ll take him down.

Zeppelin Champion

30 Defeat the Zeppelin
Story related. On "Zeppelin Assault" you’ll eventually get to the part where you help a couple bears load and prepare the fire hurler catapult. Defeat the men and witches who attack while the other bear is getting the hurler ready, then press Y to load and fire it. The first rock you toss will take out some witches; the next will bring down the Zeppelin and unlock this achievement as well as the "Child of Destiny" achievement.

Inquisitive

50 Answer at least 30 Alethiometer Questions
See "Lyra Belacqua"

Lyra Belacqua

100 Answer all 48 Alethiometer Questions
Use the alethiometer to answer the questions from your journal. These will become easier to answer as you get more symbols, so check the symbol guide if you're unsure on a symbol's meaning and don't have it. You can answer these questions as you progress through the story, but the quickest way is to go to ‘Extras’ on the game’s main menu, select journal, and answer them that way.

Many of these questions are story related, and you should get the majority of them while progressing through the game if you talk to people, examine documents on desks, etc. Some, however, won’t unlock unless you perform certain actions in the game. See this thread for a list of all questions, which chapter they're unlocked in, and instructions for unlocking the trickier ones. Thanks to Quito Santana for compiling the list!

Also, several questions unlock during the end credits.

Lyra Silvertongue

50 Complete at least 25 Deception Games with "Success" rating.
Completing a deception game with a success rating means the meter is green when you finish deceiving someone. You’ll get a green meter by completing one of several mini games during the conversation, and if you’re successful the meter will be green when the conversation is finished, indicating you’ve completely fooled the person. If you don’t get this on your first playthrough you can go back and repeat levels to deceive people again.

Last edited by botafogo007; 12-12-2007 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Adding link
botafogo007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 07:30 PM   #2
ReneG

ReneG's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Nice, thanks for that
Old 12-12-2007, 04:37 AM   #3
Conker Rules All

xKGx Exoticz's Gamercard
in your opinion is this game an easy 1000? aprroximeatly how many hours would you say?

nice guide im gonna rent this and hopefully get through it pretty fast
Conker Rules All is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 06:04 AM   #4
hoochli

Hooch Lee's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conker Rules All View Post
in your opinion is this game an easy 1000? aprroximeatly how many hours would you say?

nice guide im gonna rent this and hopefully get through it pretty fast
If you play every level only once and collect all the symbols and questions in one playthrough I say it's about 8 - 10 hours..
hoochli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 06:10 AM   #5
Conker Rules All

xKGx Exoticz's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoochli View Post
If you play every level only once and collect all the symbols and questions in one playthrough I say it's about 8 - 10 hours..
thanks it seems pretty easy and i'll edit this post once i rent it and i'll tell you it seems like a good game for achievements so it won't COMPLETELY bore me
Conker Rules All is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 04:36 PM   #6
Game3nD

Game3nD's Gamercard
i cant beat the flamthrowers at the end of the rescue any help? i cant get past the huge gate thing with the gunners up top
Game3nD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 01:46 PM   #7
Ilhja

Ilhja's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Game3nD View Post
i cant beat the flamthrowers at the end of the rescue any help? i cant get past the huge gate thing with the gunners up top
first you need to destroy every tower so the witchs can take out the gunners.
To deal with the flamethrowers, you need to attack one side and then when the flame is getting close to you, run over to the other flamethrower and attack from the other side.
Ilhja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 11:14 AM   #8
FIREALCHEMIST61

Il COLOSSUS II's Gamercard
this game seems easy enough ill give it a shot
FIREALCHEMIST61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 08:26 AM   #9
zam

Send a message via MSN to zam

z4m's Gamercard

Regarding the Lyra Silvertongue achievement; can I replay the game and get Success rating on any deception mini-game, even if I've gotten Success on it before, and have it count to my 25, or do I have to get Success on the mini-games I didn't get it on in my first play-through?
Old 09-25-2008, 08:45 PM   #10
Ry Fryy

Ry Fryy's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoochli View Post
That would be pretty impressive, the 8 to 10 hours. I got all the Achievements and had to replay handful of levels for a question or symbol I missed and ended just under 18 hours. Granted I went very slow as to not miss anything (and still missed things lol). Never-the-less, it's not all that long and not at all hard. Easy, easy, easy.

Beware of he who took them, he goes by many names. The Bogeyman, the Shadowed One, but all are he the same. Remember to always behave, for sins he wont abide. He wields a rusty, jagged blade to cut out your insides. The bullies and their spiteful wrath will find torment as well. Soon he will strike them where they stand and drag them into hell. So do not cry aloud at night, stay hidden in your bed. Or the Bogeyman from Silent Hill will come chop off your head.

Ry Fryy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 01:41 PM   #11
HydroPHILE

It took me about 14 hours to complete the game, and the majority of that time was spent on the friggin' Bolvangar vents (set number 2 post Sloth swing). Otherwise, it would have taken me about 10 hours.

Question on this though:

40 Find at least 3 Elixers of the Witch.

I went into all of the caves at this part, and I searched and collected all of the courage orbs, bloodmoss, etc. but never found any elixirs (?)

-----------------
Something else to keep in mind with this game is it IS glitchy. There was one time I went to battle someone at the Magisterium (after shocking him), and the game glitched.
HydroPHILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 02:47 AM   #12
A 2rue boofer
Banned User

A 2rue boofer's Gamercard

Awards Showcase NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Road Map - Bronze   1,000 Posts   Submit - Gold   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 6 (more» ...)
I will use this guide. Very Nice
A 2rue boofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 06:33 AM   #13
Likuid Flame

Likuid Flame's Gamercard
Just beat the game thanks to your guide. Now I need to go back for symbols/questions. Uggghhh. Nice guide though.

Complete Games:
Retail:
VII
Arcade:
III
"Music is like candy, you throw away the wrappers."
Likuid Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 12:02 AM   #14
Blood DM

Blood DM's Gamercard
Thanks for the guide helped me notch up another 1k

Overall pretty bad game but enduring 17 hours or so of this is easily do able.

You can do ALL the achievements in the 1 playthrough. Sadly I missed a couple of symbols/questions due to loosing concentration on reading the good guides that have been created.
Blood DM is offline   Reply With Quote