Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Main Hub > Community and Events > Tournaments
Subscribe    Donate

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 09:53 PM   #631
Veedrock

Veedrock's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Micro Guide - Bronze   Genre Competition - First Place   2,500 Posts   Donator - Level 1   XBA Promoter
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
So first and foremost, a huge shoutout and thank you to Sprinkles! This definitely wouldn't have happened without him, he set our pace early on and kept it up throughout, giving me motivation to do that same.

Now begins the long post(s) I don't expect anybody to read EDIT: Holy shit didn't think this would take 5 posts, thought it would condense into like 3. Hope you guys don't mind. /edit

Overall Stats
  • 534 achievements
  • 28 games
    • 23 retail, 4 XBLA, 1 GFWL
    • 13 existing, 16 purchased ($70)

I didn't have high expectations coming into this tournament. It was really an excuse for me to touch up on my backlog, to try and work out games I've put off forever (particularly XBLA). But at the same, I realized that because it was a team tournament somebody would be relying on me. So going into the tournament, I decided my activity would be dependent on my partner; if I got a partner that wasn't taking this seriously, I would be in it for my own purposes; if I got a partner that was going all in each week, I refused to be a deadbeat partner and would carry my weight. Turns out I got the latter and I couldn't be happier!

Though I'm openly apathetic towards awards, I'll sport this one with pride

So here's a breakdown of my activity and thought process throughout the tournament.

Week 1 - Strategy

Stats:
Spoiler! (click here to reveal)

I didn't send a message to Sprinkles during Week 1 because I didn't think it was necessary. I didn't want to pressure him plus I didn't think I was going to do so hot, so I just let it rock.

The tournament started at the start of the month so I was completely broke, which meant I anticipated only working with my existing library for such an awful category. However Bomberman Act Zero was cheap enough that I could afford it, which contributed most of my score for the round.

Game review:

We got second place in Round 1, a very nice start for a tournament I wasn't ready to take seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creech View Post
As a site, we don't support calling it "xbone" as that was a name that was used to refer to the system in a negative light. Since the site exists to support the system, being deliberately negative towards it seems counter productive.

tl;dr - Call it the Xbox One or X1.

Last edited by Veedrock; 08-11-2013 at 09:58 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:54 PM   #632
Veedrock

Veedrock's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Micro Guide - Bronze   Genre Competition - First Place   2,500 Posts   Donator - Level 1   XBA Promoter
Week 2 - Sports and Fitness

Stats:

Well shit, this is the one category I was seriously dreading going into this. All of my existing games were either already close to done, or would take quite awhile to really rack up point. However I did have some money to mess with, so I messaged Sprinkles to see what he had in store. Again if he wasn't committed I would have just messed around with Kinect games or something, but he had some serious plans in store for the week. Here's our PM exchange.

Well, with Sprinkles promising at least 2k-3k and hoping for 4k, I couldn't sit by with pitiful scores. There were plenty of easy Sports games and most of them were dirt cheap, it's just that my gamercard shows that I'm not one to grab a game simply for easy points I swallowed my pride though, since I generally don't care about my gaming history, and I went out and I bought 6 games on the cheap and started working through them.

Game review:

For those following at home, I didn't make a mistake when I said I played 5 but bought 6. I bought Madden 10, but didn't have time to play it. I'll get around to it eventually.

And with that showing, we scored another second place for the tournament. We beat out Team OG (Corrupt/Stoph) which was our primary goal, as TV blitz this round something fierce to make a first place finish improbable. We were tied for first place overall.

Quote:
As a site, we don't support calling it "xbone" as that was a name that was used to refer to the system in a negative light. Since the site exists to support the system, being deliberately negative towards it seems counter productive.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:55 PM   #633
Veedrock

Veedrock's Gamercard

Week 3 - Music and Rhythm

Stats:

Music and Rhythm wasn't a terrible category for me. I had plenty of games to play between the Rock Band games with a little bit of Kinect, but quick score was a bit of an issue. Most other teams accepted defeat this week, so I didn't expect much resistance. We would soon be proven wrong. PM exchange for the week:

So this week Corrupt/Stoph were pumping out a lot of score early in the Round, way more than I expected. Sing It! was a game I was unaware of and I tried to find it to even the score, but I didn't have any luck finding it. Luckily Sprinkles had earned quite a lot, so we were in pretty good shape.

Then out of nowhere jamie pulls some ridiculous number out for the A-Team, something I completely miss on my last update PM. Luckily Sprinkles caught it and notified me, so I went and grabbed Victorious while he grinded out Band Hero, giving us something like 1700g for that day to pull out a clutch victory.

Game review:

And with that, we sniped A-team, got 1st place for the Round, putting us up 2 points ahead of Corrupt/Stoph to be the only first place in the tournament.

Quote:

Last edited by Veedrock; 08-11-2013 at 09:59 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:57 PM   #634
Veedrock

Veedrock's Gamercard

Week 4 - Shooters

Stats:

This is a week I've been dreading as seen in my previous PMs. While I certainly had my fair share of games to play, I was worried that this was when everybody else would finally start trying and curb stomp me. PM log:

Well my fears never came to fruition, despite being a very easy genre very few teams actually put out much score. Kind of depressing really, took a lot of the fun out of the tournament. Anyways we were pretty solid throughout, I just did a single playthrough for a number of games to earn a decent amount of gamerscore in each.

Game review:

We finished first that week, while Corrupt messed up a link and lost all of his points, which put us 5 points ahead of everyone else and in an excellent position to win the tournament.

Week 5 - Card and Board

Stats:

Really not much to say here, this week wasn't exciting. It was the first of the month again so I was broke, but even then I didn't want to spend tons of money on games when we really didn't need that much to stay in first. It doesn't help that so many other teams were pretty much done by this point, and simply avoiding the duckface was a victory for them. We didn't exchange any PMs this week because of that, we both knew the drill.

Game review:

Finishing in second, we were still in first place overall by 4 points, which meant victory was pretty much guaranteed.

Quote:

Last edited by Veedrock; 08-12-2013 at 07:39 AM. Reason: spoiler fail
Old 08-11-2013, 09:57 PM   #635
Veedrock

Veedrock's Gamercard

Week 6 - Adventure

Stats:

Last week and a decent category. Unfortunately the site's categorization needed some work, but it was still a great category. Still though, with the competition almost over and only a few teams even having a shot at top three, there wasn't much to look forward to here. We knew that the only way to not finish first was to finish in fifth place or below, something that was very unlikely due to only 4 teams putting out consistent scores (A-team, Corrupt/stoph, Argonauts, Team J). PM Exchange:

Game review:

And as predicted in my PMs, only a few teams put out noticeable score and we were secured first place with little effort.

===
Thanks for hosting Creech, and thanks for the fun everyone! Would have been better if more teams were active, but the scoring system allowed for a pretty close finish despite that. As mentioned by jamie things would've been different if they didn't throw away Round 1, and it would also have been a bit tighter of a finish if Corrupt didn't botch his link in Shooters.

Quote:

Last edited by Veedrock; 08-12-2013 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Thanking Creech to get on his good side
Old 08-11-2013, 11:19 PM   #636
Barad

Location: Bristol, England Occupation: Undergraduate Status: Doing a raid
Send a message via Skype™ to Barad

Barad XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Emerald   The Sports Challenge Club - Tier 1   Community Gaming - Emerald   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Bronze   Road Map - Emerald   Donator - Level 2   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer
Total Awards: 23 (more» ...)
Was a pretty good tournament. Congrats to the top 3!

Dem new awards look sick.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:18 AM   #637
TVthePunisher

Send a message via AIM to TVthePunisher Send a message via MSN to TVthePunisher Send a message via Yahoo to TVthePunisher Send a message via Skype™ to TVthePunisher

TVthePunisher's Gamercard

Awards Showcase House of Horrors Challenge Club - Tier 1   Gotta Go Fast! Franchise Club - Tier 1   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Subscriber - Bronze   Genre Competition - Second Place   Arcade Crazy - Silver   Donator - Level 1   2,500 Posts   Over Achiever - Bronze
Total Awards: 9 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veedrok
Post 1

Quote:
Post 2

Quote:
"It'll take some serious gameage to catch up to A-Team due to TV alone, but that team was in the middle of rankings last round so him finishing in first isn't a big deal."

Quote:
Post 3

Quote:
Post 4

Quote:
May have been sorta obvious by now, but TVthePunisher has been keeping an eye on us, he sent me a message about Chaotic shortly after I started playing it. So no more surprise scoring against them, but that's pretty unnecessary at this point. Thought I'd let you know anyways.

Very impressive selection of posts there. Nice and organized, detailed...calculating. And I read them all! Specifically the ones pertaining to the A Team.

(Note: the "bored" faces did not mean I was bored with your posts ;>__> DONT' GET OFFENDED)

I might come back with my own set of posts, but for now...WELL DONE!
Old 08-12-2013, 03:47 AM   #638
Sprinkles
Subscribing Member

Sprinkles x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Subscriber - Platinum   Genre Competition - First Place   Donator - Level 5   Submit - Bronze   Staff Club - Minty   x360a Representer   Word of Mouth
Total Awards: 7 (more» ...)
I don't have a long detailed post like my teammate like Veedrock but I do have some words to say.

First off I would like to thank my teammate, Veedrock, also Creech for running this and all the other teams involved. I originally decided to take part in the tourament as a way to push my passed the 100k Gs. As you read from Veedrock earlier posts as the weeks went on we both wanted to win. I have taken part in a few GSL but this is the first tourament award I have ever won and I feel like I have been a member of the site forever.

I look forward to future contest, maybe even a second genre score challenge in which Team J can go for the repeat.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:35 AM   #639
HadMatters13
Mod/Maximum Clubs' Jester

Send a message via Skype™ to HadMatters13

Madhatters13's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff - Moderator   CABS Beta Tester   Over Achiever - Bronze   Staff Club - Madhatters13   XBA Promoter   Donator - Level 4   1,000 Posts   Staff - Maximum Clubs Director   Forza 3 Subscribers Tournament- Winner   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   GSL 8 Winners   Castle Crashers Subscribers Tourn. - Second Place
Total Awards: 12 (more» ...)
Congratulations to Team J, the A-Team and Corrupt and stophj for taking the top 3 positions. I could only dream of some of the totals you guys put up in this competition, while I seemed to do little more than collected the Duck Face PMs.

Thank you to my partner Judge Bergan. Apologies I couldn't be around more to help out, but I hope we get to do this again sometime in the future when I can hopefully put more time into gaming. Thank you to Creech for hosting and running the competition as always too. At least AC: Brotherhood saved me from ending the competition with a duck face.

Cheers all.

~ Thanks to troy for the innocent looking hamster! ~
~ Feelings grow into hopes || Ready for Persona 5 and Dreamfall Chapters! ~
~ Swashbucklin' Diplomas for all || Xbox One Points Breakdown || Tales from the Jester's tower ~
Old 08-12-2013, 12:19 PM   #640
Creech
Administrator

Send a message via Skype™ to Creech

Just Creech's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff - Front Page   Staff - Administrator   Thought, Precision and Planning Club - Tier 2   Thought, Precision and Planning Club - Tier 1   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 3   Toilet Bowl Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - Andrew x360a   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 2   Micro Guide - Gold   Achievement Guide - Emerald   Road Map - Emerald   CABS Beta Tester
Total Awards: 41 (more» ...)
One hell of a write-up there, Veedrock, and yes, I noticed your edit reason.

Seriously, I am glad you guys had fun, and it was fun for me as well reading all the responses to the various genres. I really should have done the whole story deal each week like I did for adventure, but it didn't occur to me until late in the competition.

Cheers!

Awake, Alert, & Enthusiastic!
The Silicon Rule: If the product is free, then you are the product.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:50 PM   #641
Judge Bergan

Judge Bergan's Gamercard

Awards Showcase CABS Beta Tester   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   Green Thumb - Silver   Family Corner Challenge Club - Tier 1   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Achievement Guide - Silver   XBA Promoter   Road Map - Silver   Submit - Diamond   Over Achiever - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 11 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HadMatters13 View Post
Congratulations to Team J, the A-Team and Corrupt and stophj for taking the top 3 positions. I could only dream of some of the totals you guys put up in this competition, while I seemed to do little more than collected the Duck Face PMs.

Thank you to my partner Judge Bergan. Apologies I couldn't be around more to help out, but I hope we get to do this again sometime in the future when I can hopefully put more time into gaming. Thank you to Creech for hosting and running the competition as always too. At least AC: Brotherhood saved me from ending the competition with a duck face.

Cheers all.
Yep, was fun, and also got to clear up my backlog, a little bit.

Microsoft Xbox MVP 2014

Xbox Ambassador - Level 14
Writer for Xboxgamer.me
Old 08-13-2013, 10:33 AM   #642
Aceman417

Aceman417's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Over Achiever - Bronze   XBA Promoter   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Congrats guys. A big apology to Doug as I scored shit every week, and had no time the aest 2 weeks.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:06 AM   #643
Capn Doug
Community and Events Lead

Capn Doug XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   Gotta Go Fast! Franchise Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - Ceris   Staff Club - rekikire   The Sports Challenge Club - Tier 1   Arcade Crazy - Platinum   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 1   Best of XBLA Challenge Club - Tier 2   Off to the Races Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - Shiftie   Staff Club - Nozza x360a   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 3
Total Awards: 50 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman417 View Post
Congrats guys. A big apology to Doug as I scored shit every week, and had no time the aest 2 weeks.
Hey, it could have been worse. I had my router die on me (the curse of this competition continues), so I am basically without internet for the next week. That could have happened last week to Duck Face me.

Besides, after the second week, I really wasn't looking at a podium finish anyway.

Oddly enough, I am without internet and still support an always online console...
Old 08-16-2013, 01:45 PM   #644
Creech
Administrator

Send a message via Skype™ to Creech

Just Creech's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff - Front Page   Staff - Administrator   Thought, Precision and Planning Club - Tier 2   Thought, Precision and Planning Club - Tier 1   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 3   Toilet Bowl Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - Andrew x360a   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 2   Micro Guide - Gold   Achievement Guide - Emerald   Road Map - Emerald   CABS Beta Tester
Total Awards: 41 (more» ...)
Okay, locking this down. Great job guys!

Awake, Alert, & Enthusiastic!
The Silicon Rule: If the product is free, then you are the product.
Closed Thread