PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Music and Rhythm > Rock Band
Subscribe    Donate

Old 12-27-2007, 06:36 AM   #1
Assassin23

Bad at drums?

I can't even get the drums up to hard, and I can do some songs on medium. The big problem is I can't hit bass pedal and do drum pads at same time I ALWAYS mess up. Any suggestions on how to get better at this?
Assassin23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 06:50 AM   #2
PanTh3r

Send a message via AIM to PanTh3r

iAmMaximusPrime's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
good coorination is all i can think of, i suck at drums and singing pretty badly :-\
PanTh3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 07:02 AM   #3
Fonkey Monkey

Send a message via AIM to Fonkey Monkey

Fonkey Monkey's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   Submit - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   Word of Mouth   Gamer Score League First Place, Season 1
Total Awards: 6 (more» ...)
if it wasnt for the bass pedal i bet i could play on expert lol. but alas im not that coordinated so i only play on easy. damn bass pedal.

Legendary Status!!
We Are Lasers.
Fonkey Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 07:31 AM   #4
moonieass13

Send a message via MSN to moonieass13 Send a message via Skype™ to moonieass13

Moonieas13's Gamercard
I just finished the first tier of songs on hard... I am very bad at drums to... the bass pedal gets me everytime.. just practice on easy then once you are comfortable with that try the first tier of songs on medium.. then once you are decent at those try the harder songs then rinse and repeat... I pretty much played medium from the start.. but I have never touched an actual drum in real life

moonieass13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 01:52 PM   #5
TwistedFate

Bobo daMunkee's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Assassin23 View Post
I can't even get the drums up to hard, and I can do some songs on medium. The big problem is I can't hit bass pedal and do drum pads at same time I ALWAYS mess up. Any suggestions on how to get better at this?
Go into practice mode and slow it down. Most of the songs use a basic pattern that repeats, and most of the songs use a slight variation on the standard Red/Yellow rhythm pattern as the base for the song. Once you have the basic rhythmic pattern down, it gets much easier. If you get in trouble on the non-standard portions you can count on the base pattern to get back on track once you have it nailed.

Ignore Overdrive fill zones. If you don't activate Overdrive, they will keep giving you opportunities to trigger it. Use these pauses to reset your inner timer and get back on track.

If you don't have Overdrive built up, don't be afraid to stop playing for a second and get back on track if you get off rhythm. Missing 5 notes completely, but getting the next 10-15 right is better than flailing about trying to get back on rhythm. Don't wait until you are in the red to do this, or you risk failing the song.

If you are struggling, concentrate on the Red and Orange. The crowd is less forgiving if you miss the Red and Orange hits. Miss the others ones if you have to, but be sure to get the Reds and Oranges. You mentioned having trouble with the pads and the pedal simultaneously. So knowing the Orange is more important, when facing a double hit, if you feel you can only hit one of them, make sure it's the pedal that you use.

In practice mode, play just the orange hits to get a feel for it. Then go through it again and add the red hits. Once you are comfortable with Red and Orange (remember they are the most important to keep the crowd happy), add the yellow, then the blue then the green.

Don't get discouraged. Drums aren't easy for a lot of people. They require you to move 3 different limbs at different times. Keep practicing and you'll get it.

Last edited by TwistedFate; 12-27-2007 at 04:26 PM.
TwistedFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 04:10 PM   #6
soccerplaya13cj

Send a message via AIM to soccerplaya13cj

soccerplaya13cj's Gamercard
I'm in marching band so I always tap my foot to music always. So when your listening to your ipod or the radio or whatever, find the beat and tap your foot. In about a week bass pedal should be easier.
soccerplaya13cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 04:20 PM   #7
DFILL450

Send a message via AIM to DFILL450

Awards Showcase Word of Mouth   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
I think its just one of those things that you have to practice at. You either have drumming in you or you don't. Its not like guitar hero where if you can't play that, then you can't play real guitar.

I tried playing a real kit and I realized I'm actually really good and now I love it. All because of Rock Band...
Old 12-27-2007, 04:30 PM   #8
TwistedFate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFILL450 View Post
I tried playing a real kit and I realized I'm actually really good and now I love it. All because of Rock Band...
I'll be picking up a real drum kit this summer because of Rock Band.

Old 12-27-2007, 04:36 PM   #9
DFILL450

Send a message via AIM to DFILL450

Awards Showcase Word of Mouth   1,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedFate View Post
I'll be picking up a real drum kit this summer because of Rock Band.
Yeah we always had a drum set in my basement, but I never bothered to play it. Then I started playing the drums on rock band, and wanted to try them out. A real kit is way better though. Its a lot of fun to play.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:47 PM   #10
deathbypig37x

deathbypig x3h's Gamercard

Awards Showcase UMK3 Runner-up   Gears of War Annex Challenge Third Place
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerplaya13cj View Post
I'm in marching band so I always tap my foot to music always. So when your listening to your ipod or the radio or whatever, find the beat and tap your foot. In about a week bass pedal should be easier.
Me too man, but marking time doesn't help you much with expert drums on Dead On Arrival.

You can always have a friend do bass pedal for you if you can't handle it. If you don't like that option, do what everyone is saying; practice.
deathbypig37x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 12:31 AM   #11
I King Pin 0

ShowMeKing's Gamercard

Awards Showcase NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1   Word of Mouth   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
I can only play the drums on easy. My problem though is my foot gets tired of being held ever so slightly off the ground and all of the sudden I will just tap the pedal to mess me up. But alas, I will never give up!!!

Top Ten
9th in the World to 1k UFC Undisputed 2009

No shame, All gain.
April 11, 2009

GamerScore League Record:
GSL 4 - Mystery Gamer
GSL 5 - 2nd Place (Achieve Elite)
GSL 6 - 2nd Place (Young Guns)
GSL 7 - 3rd Place (Young Guns)

I King Pin 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 08:14 AM   #12
TA Sasuke

Send a message via AIM to TA Sasuke Send a message via MSN to TA Sasuke

Einstein x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase x360a Representer   1,000 Posts   Word of Mouth
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
i am great at the pads, but the pedal always messes me up. sometimes its because i just cant get the pattern down, but a lot of the time my ankle starts hurting EXTREMELY bad and it messes up my playing any ideas from anyone?
TA Sasuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 08:18 AM   #13
xRogue 5x

xRogue 5x's Gamercard

Awards Showcase NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Gamerscore League Season 7 Winner   x360a Book Club   Achievement Guide - Bronze   GTA IV Subscribers Tournament - Second Place   Word of Mouth   1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1   Bright Idea
Total Awards: 9 (more» ...)
I am pretty good at the guitar stuff thanks largely to guitar hero but the drums absolutely slay me. The kick peddle stuff is a little easier if you rig up a second kick peddle using a headphone splitter.

Ranked #1 in Utah, 1'st to 100,200,300k in Utah
235 retail complete, 26 arcade complete
Gsl season 7 champion!
xRogue 5x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 03:23 PM   #14
TwistedFate

Quote:
Originally Posted by I King Pin 0 View Post
I can only play the drums on easy. My problem though is my foot gets tired of being held ever so slightly off the ground and all of the sudden I will just tap the pedal to mess me up. But alas, I will never give up!!!
Don't hold your foot up all the time. Keep the pedal depressed all the time, then lift your foot and set it back down to activate it. Much less strain on your foot.

Old 12-29-2007, 10:25 PM   #15
sk8ter107

Send a message via MSN to sk8ter107 Send a message via Yahoo to sk8ter107

Paintballer252's Gamercard
i read on a tip during the loading that the crowd doesnt mind the missing of the blue, yellow, green pads as much as the red pad and bass pedal. so just try to hit those to the most out of them all and u should come close to passing

sk8ter107 is offline   Reply With Quote