Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Main Hub > Discussion Boards > Games
Subscribe    Donate

Old 04-22-2013, 11:22 AM   #841
DecadentBeaver

DecadentBeaver's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Hell Yeah is certainly worth a purchase while on sale. Looks an easy enough 400g and is entertaining enough. Wouldn't be too sure of paying 1200msp though.

Looking for people to join me in an epic Minecraft build once again. Its in creative, so if you are interested, message me for details.
DecadentBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:53 PM   #842
Jas x God

Jas x God's Gamercard
I wish I would've seen this before I bought SFII Hyper, that game did not play like it did on the SNES
Jas x God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:42 PM   #843
xOGxMuddbone

xOGxMuddbone's Gamercard
My fiance effin loves Peggle. I hate it, but meh, it gets her off my back for a little while so I'll play it with her
xOGxMuddbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:06 PM   #844
Looter1

looter1's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyVersion1 View Post
Yeah it's pretty much COD with a "Batman" skin, and only multiplayer too. From the weapons to gadgets to perks, it's all COD.

Go with The Walking Dead, it's cheap, and the cheevos are easy. Plus it's nothing like COD.

Er... the gadgets and perks make it NOT like COD actually; the system is similar in that it's an FPS - but can you FLY, use grappling hooks, roller skates, spring boots, parrot guns, choose different body types which affect the gravity/speed of your character & go invisible in COD?? - I think not... (and with DLC you can dress like a pirate or ninja as well as batman/the joker too)

I played a ton of it when it came out and I still go back occasionally; the real problem with it was always that it's a 6 v 6 team-based game and not many ppl use mics or play the modes the way they are supposed to be played. If you want deathmatch - play deathmatch! DON'T play deathmatch in the goal-based modes and then wonder why the team loses - it's cos you & your team-mates are all out trying to kill the other team when they should be capturing/holding points or getting the flag!

It's a fun game and has some wacky Batman/Joker themed teams.. but it IS an ONLINE TEAM-BASED Multiplayer game; so if your internet is terrible, or you aren't into team games maybe you can skip it.

Walking Dead is quite good too with super easy achievements (none are missable I think), and it's kinda like the old Sierra games like Monkey Island; but he's right - it's definitely nothing like COD !!
Looter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:06 AM   #845
JeremyVersion1

JeremyVersion1's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looter1 View Post
Er... the gadgets and perks make it NOT like COD actually; the system is similar in that it's an FPS - but can you FLY, use grappling hooks, roller skates, spring boots, parrot guns, choose different body types which affect the gravity/speed of your character & go invisible in COD?? - I think not... (and with DLC you can dress like a pirate or ninja as well as batman/the joker too)

I played a ton of it when it came out and I still go back occasionally; the real problem with it was always that it's a 6 v 6 team-based game and not many ppl use mics or play the modes the way they are supposed to be played. If you want deathmatch - play deathmatch! DON'T play deathmatch in the goal-based modes and then wonder why the team loses - it's cos you & your team-mates are all out trying to kill the other team when they should be capturing/holding points or getting the flag!

It's a fun game and has some wacky Batman/Joker themed teams.. but it IS an ONLINE TEAM-BASED Multiplayer game; so if your internet is terrible, or you aren't into team games maybe you can skip it.

Walking Dead is quite good too with super easy achievements (none are missable I think), and it's kinda like the old Sierra games like Monkey Island; but he's right - it's definitely nothing like COD !!
Okay, so it's like COD and Halo had a three way with the Batman license. Still, no innovation here.

Thanks to the great Cpt Slaughter for the VGCE Show Logo!

JeremyVersion1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:02 AM   #846
Looter1

looter1's Gamercard

Post My mini reviews of some of my collection (part one)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecadentBeaver View Post
Hell Yeah is certainly worth a purchase while on sale. Looks an easy enough 400g and is entertaining enough. Wouldn't be too sure of paying 1200msp though.

I've heard it's good so I bought it during the last sale, but I haven't played it yet; so can't speak about that one personally.

*sigh* I have too many games and not enough time; over 100 XBLA and counting... ( I buy too many when they have good deals - huge backlog)

There are several of those which I have played that I can recommend however: [this is ALL MY OPINION tho - you don't have to agree with me]

ARPGS:

- Torchlight is great fun; [solo play only] if you liked Diablo it's an ARPG in a similar style (my 1st 200g XBLA game) and it has a final dungeon which goes on forever adding potentially infinite replayability if you get addicted to the loot-collecting and lots of character customisation and it will take ages to reach the level cap.

- Deathspank (all 3 of them) are also in a similar style but somewhat shallower in terms of customisation, but they have couch co-op; making them good for those with gaming partners. They have quite a sly sense of humour about them as well so you'll be giggling often while playing them.

- Crimson Alliance is also an ARPG-lite without the humour of Deathspank, good in co-op, but online only; no couch co-op! Not as good as the two previously mentioned, but in 3-player it is still fun.

Arcade Remakes:

- Ninja Turtles 89, The Simpsons Arcade: I've put these 2 together as the gameplay is similar and both are remakes of old-school side-scrolling beat 'em ups and both based on classic cartoons. Lots of fun with 4 players & I guess you could include X-men Arcade (up to 6 players online) in this category too. Fun reminiscence of the old arcade days and with unlimited credits you may just finish them for the 1st time (most of us could never afford to finish these in arcades) These are often on sale these days too.

- Shinobi is still as difficult as the old arcade machine was, but also good for some retro moments + ninjas!

- Golden Axe, Final Fight Double Impact & Streets of Rage 2 are also some nice old school conversions, but in the case of Golden Axe and SOR2, you are probably better off geting the Sega collections versions as they have 3 games from those series (including sequels from the Megadrive) instead of just one. (Also my SOR2 & Golden Axe don't seem to work when I move my HD to our other console in the lounge, only on mine in my room - everything is supposed to work when connected to Live, but they don't & tell me it's only a demo - you might not experience this but it bugged me cos it means I can't play them with my housemates only with randoms online)

Fighting games:

- Streetfighter 3rd Strike Online Edition is also an arcade remake, but it's a fighting game more and quite a good one at that - can be tough to beat on higher difficulties, can't speak much about the online side tho as I am still trying to beat it with every character in arcade mode solo.

- The Deadliest Warrior 1 & 2 - personally I'd recommend both of these cos they are fun, but they can be quite difficult; it's not an energy bar or super bar type fighter - it's possible to have a one-hit kill if you projectile someone in the face or cut off their head/arm/leg - and that's what seperates them from the SF and MK style fighting games and it's this unique difficulty curve and the fact that I really enjoyed the show (and the 2nd one has characters from history) which make them special for me.

- Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection - also retro-arcade and I've heard the online is laggy (dunno personally); but if you have fond memories of these games in the arcades it's worth a purchase. Brutally hard on some difficulties, it should present a nice retro challenge for most gamers, including MK1, MK2 & MK3. MK2 almost made me break my controller though (I forgot how cheap both Kintaro and Shao Kahn were as bosses)

- Scott Pilgrim Vs the World - not fighting like the afforementioned titles, more a side-scrolling 4 player beat em up like Simpsons Arcade or TMNT/X-men, and since the latest DLC it's playable online. Very cool retro 8-bit style graphics and based more on the original graphic novel than the movie.

Sports/Board games etc:

-Nba Jam on Fire Edition; they basically fixed what was wrong with the retail disc version and made it bigger and perform better online. Fun with plenty to unlock and a fair bit of replayability with teams/characters to unlock. It helps to like basketball and the OTT style of the original NBA Jam games.

- Pinball FX 2 - soooooo many tables and if you own the original, those tables all work here too. Maybe not the most realistic sim out there in terms of physics/gravity, (I haven't tried Pinball Arcade to compare) but as I said before - sooooo many tables to keep you occupied. (+ star wars tables are currently half price)

- Full House Poker - if you like poker, and especially online poker; then you will probably like this game! You can play with your avatar both on and offline, it syncs with the WP7 version and has a healthy community with frequent tournaments and generally reasonably easy achievements. Achievement hunters take note however; there are some unachievable cheevos already tho as the game has had several 'seasons' of tournaments with time-limited achievements and the game has been out a couple of years now, so if you are just buying it now; you will have missed some gamerscore. (& can't get it)

- Quarrel - a word puzzle game that is fun and challenging to play both off and online and it's cheap too!! 400msp was its launch price. If you know the online/WP7/8 game Wordament; it's kinda like that! You need to compete against the clock and other players to try to make the biggest/best word you can from the letters given (also has an element of the UK TV gameshow Countdown about it)

Kinect games:

- Fruit Ninja Kinect - as many have already said - one of the best Kinect games out there, not just XBLA games. Tons of fun, a good arm-flailing workout and fun with friends - though be careful not to kill each other when playing co-op - ninjas need space soas not to hit & injure each other.

- Mini Ninjas Adventures - another fun jump-around Kinect game which is a nice bit of silly fun. Lots of ninja/Samurai chopping to be found here, but more full-body than the fruit chopping of Fruit Ninja. I haven't played heaps of this one yet, but from what I've played I found it quite entertaining.

- Dragon's Lair - Some ppl hated it, but I quite like it. I guess mainly cos it's another remake from the arcade era. You CAN also play using the controller, but it is Kinect-enabled and I think better to play that way. Perhaps limited replayability for some, as once you finish it, you may not feel like going through it all again, (it is esentially an 'interactive cartoon' movie) but there are at least 2 playthroughs needed for all of the achievements; and I haven't got all of them myself yet either; maybe it appeals to us older gamers more; who knows? Try the demo...

- Happy Action Theatre / Kinect Party - these 2 are grouped together as they are both Double Fine games and they are both quite similar and if you own HAT all of those mini-games work in Kinect Party. These are collections of mini-games similar in short-burst zaniness to games like Warioware on the Gamecube/Wii/DS. Huge variety, 4-6 player at one time capabilities (if the space is big enough), and it's great to put on when you have some friends around and want some quick-fire silliness. The mini-games range from something like being Rampage-esque monsters and destroying a city and fighting planes ala King Kong to posing for photos in a Wild West theme, to dancing around like fools in a dub-step filmclip... quite a lot of variety and silly fun!

{edit for space issues]
Old 05-02-2013, 02:06 AM   #847
Looter1

looter1's Gamercard

My mini reviews of some of my collection (part two)

Action/Shooting/FPS/TPS:

- Monday Night Combat / Iron Brigade - these games are similar to each other, but also quite different. Both are a mix of TPS and tower defense style gameplay, but they approach it in different ways. Iron Brigade has you playing in giant customisable mechs in an alternative future war trying to survive waves of attacks in a variety of settings with your mech's weapons and buildable tower defenses. MNC also has tower defense against waves of enemies but takes the approach of you being involved in a futuristic TV game show and having different character types which you use to kill the enemies and level up to improve your particular character skill types and abilities, it also seems a bit more focused on online multiplayer than Iron Brigade [the acheivements reflect this]. (Think Team Fortress 2 style characters - heavy weapons, assassins, etc but you can level them up) I'd recommend both of them, or at least try the demo and see what you think.

- Dungeon Defenders - is also a mix of tower defense and TPS, but with more RPG elements and a fantasy setting. This borrows the looting and equipment-finding element from ARPGs as well as the general RPG mechanic of leveling and improving your characters: which fit into the usual fantasy stereotypes - mage, cleric, monk, knight etc. A very cartoony feel with the graphics, it's quite pretty, using the unreal engine for it's gameplay. Supposedly a big online community, but I generally play it solo so far.

- Laura Croft and the Guardian of Light - Great for couch-coop, this is NOT a typical Tomb Raider game. Yes you die a lot and yes there are puzzles, but it's also 2 player on & offline co-op and has platforming and twin-stick shooter elements. Fun and frustrating in equal measures, in co-op you HAVE TO work together to suceed, but the 1st time I played this with a friend we just spent the whole time blowing each other up with the unlimited bombs you get - it never got old & this game has also been on sale quite often lately and I definitely recommend trying the demo and maybe picking it up next time it's reduced. (usually 600msp down from 1200msp the last few times it was on offer)

- Fusion:Genesis - listed as a shoot-em-up & it kind of is, but it's more than that too. Playing mostly as a twin-stick shooter, there are also sandbox and RPG leveling/looting elements in play and it's this random exploration, space battles and improving your character/fleet of ships that makes it so much fun. I've spent hours in this game just mining asteroids and leveling up my sentients for my ships and I'm still far from finished with the main campaign. It also links in with the WP7 game Fusion:Sentient and you can improve your sentients on your phone and then import them into the main game via Xbox Live which when it works is very cool. I was pleasantly surprised by this game - wasn't expecting much, but it was on sale; I bought it and really enjoyed it!

- Warhammer 40K Kill Team - Twin stick co-op shooter, I had a lot of fun playing this through with my flatmate. Nice graphics, but waaaay too short and not a big amount of replayability; but a lot of fun while it lasted. Completing the game also gives you a weapon for the retail game Warhammer 40k Space Marine! Get this one on sale!

- Hard Corps: Uprising - a side-scrolling shoot-em-up similar to Metal Slug in that you are a soldier running right (=>) while shooting many enemies and big bosses all the while trying not to be hit by bullets/jumping on platforms and looking for new guns/weapon upgrades. Quite hard in the normal modes, only the very best twitchy trigger fingers will be able to get all of the achievements, but there is a quite cool and AFAIK unique mode in this one (called Rising mode), which has elements more of an RPG nature, you level up your character by playing thru the levels and you can then spend your money/points upgrading your character with new skills and weapons/upgrades - which is great if you're a bit crap at games like this like me, cos it means you can repeat earlier (and easier) levels until your character is strong enough to face the harder levels and bosses so it kinda makes it a bit more forgiving than the normal Arcade mode (which can get very brutal).

- Gotham City Imposters - a team-based multiplayer (mostly, there are some solo challenge mode things to do) 6 v 6 game with 3 main modes: Team Deathmatch, CTF & a Joker-gas Domination mode. Some ppl complain it's too much like COD, but aside from some similarities like that it's a shooter with different weapons and character perks you can get, that's pretty much where that comparison dies. You can get gadets which help you fly, turn invisible, use grappling hooks, parrot guns, ninja swords and other crazy Batman & Jokeresque weapons and gadgets/perks. If you buy some DLC they even introduced pirate and ninja inspired weapons and costumes. Customisation is where it is at with this game: with different body types with their own bonuses and drawbacks, psychological profiles which affect how you earn xp, and the usual face, costume, mask, voice customisation that is available in other FPS online games (yes like COD, but a totally different world). The biggest problem is as I mentioned in another post - ppl online rarely play as a team (with limited mic usage) or do not do the objective modes correctly, so other than Deathmatch it can get frustrating if you actually WANT to play the objective modes properly.

Ok this post has already gotten out of hand so (at least for now) this is my final category.

Arcade games that aren't really worth it:

- Battle: Los Angeles - Well if you've seen the movie you were probably expecting this. A lame empty movie produced a lame, empty game. Easy 200g, but there's no other real reason to get this limp FPS. Graphics are average, there's only about 4-5 decent weapons, the enemies are cookie-cutter clones with only about 3-4 different ones in the whole game. It's supposed to also be in 3D, but I only have the trioviz glasses (red/green) and it doesn't do that kind of 3D so I couldn't try it. In 2 playthroughs you can get all of the achievements (once on normal, once on hard), and you can do both of those in about 2-3hrs total. Pathetic length, no real story, rinse-and-repeat gameplay, no reason to ever play it again afer you have the 200g - very much like the source movie in that case at least, except replace 'play' with 'watch' & 'the 200g' with 'seen it'!!

- Fire Pro Wrestling - Uninspired wrestling game using avatars. It should've been sooooo much better, the originals were highly-respected in the wrestling-game world and it had potential, but just didn't live up to it. Such a grind just to get/unlock the basic moves, which come randomly after fights, so you will find yourself fighting the same opponents over and over and over and... *yawn*. The opponents are also massively cheap as the 'difficulty' increases and you get thru the tournaments, and the basic system is pure randomness (especially countering) with you pressing one of the 4 'face' buttons to throw someone and if the opponent presses the same button you are countered and vice versa, yet it seems that the AI gets almost masterly at predicting your button press and counters you ALL of the freaking time! Really takes any of the limited fun out of it. I got it on sale and I'm glad I didn't pay full price; I really doubt you'll like it!

- Game Room - I love my retro games (like u can't tell from above), but this is just terrible; another thing with such potential, but resulting in utter fail! It was pretty much abandoned by its creators several years ago; so there will never be anymore updates or games added to it. Considering how old these games are the prices for ONE INDIVIDUAL 30+yr old game are ridiculous!! Like the more recent Capcom Arcade Cabinet, these games should've come in packs and had more realistic prices. Glitchy, ugly and a waste of a good idea. Unless you want to dump a ton of money to own bad ports of ancient games I'd avoid this like it's vermin.

Like I said before the wall of text, this is MY opinion; you can disagree with me; I have no problems with that and expect it..

I have a ton of XBLA games (& retail games); many of which I'm yet to play, but generally other ppl have said they are good (on comments pages and in forums) and I've bought most of them when they were 50% or more off.. so this list could get much bigger as I play through those other ones (and buy others that are on sale). Many of the ones in THAT category have already been mentioned by other posters before me, but I don't feel like I can comment until I play them myself (for more than 5-10 minutes). But if you want to ask me anything more about any of the games I've mentioned, please feel free; even if I haven't played it - I may still know about it...

(My God this wouldn't fit in one post - I didn't even write this much when I was doing assignments at Uni!) LOL I guess I was never as interested in anything at university as my gaming :P
Old 05-02-2013, 02:46 AM   #848
DarkZ0m

Fu2 Darkz0m's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by DecadentBeaver View Post
I found Hell yeah quite boring if it wasn't for the achievements I woudn't play it at all.

100%: 52
Latest: Portal 2
Most Anticipated Game: Dying Light

Updated: March/20/2014
DarkZ0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:56 AM   #849
BiggD
76 Days 'Til Halo 2

BiggDope's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Gold   Road Map - Gold   10,000 posts   Submit - Diamond   Micro Guide - Diamond   A+ Thread Award   CABS Beta Tester   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   Donator - Level 2   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal
Total Awards: 16 (more» ...)
Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon is a must buy. The game is just freakin' awesome!

Thanks to Xerofox for the stunningly suave signature!
BiggD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:23 AM   #850
LollySoF2

LollySoF2's Gamercard
Alien Hominid is a must buy!
LollySoF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:31 AM   #851
CHIRUNO99

chiruno99's Gamercard

IMO
Buy!

Alien Hominid
Metal Slug series
Castle Crashers
Battleblock Theatre
Phantom Breaker Battlegrounds (Great game, plays like a cross between Guardian Heroes and Scott Pilgrim)
Scott Pilgrim vs The World (Great game, but the online DLC is very disappointing)
The Pinball Arcade (They're having problems with adding the new tables, but they're coming soon)
Pinball FX 2 (More arcade-like, with fantasy tables, also more of a hub with trials of tables than just DLC)
Minecraft (Like Terraria but more constructive and crafty)
Terraria (Like Minecraft, but more gamey and RPG like)
Gaurdian Heroes
Ikaruga
Bangai-o
Radiant Silvergun
Gunstar Heroes
Schizoid (Really good fun, better with co-op, avoid the AI mode though)
Aqua (It's really good, not the best but enjoyable)
Skullgirls (GOTY, patch coming soon to add more characters and features, for FREE, well, the characters will be for the first 3 months)
Twisted Pixel Bundle (If you haven't already got one of the four, and the fact that it costs the same as Comic Jumper alone, they're all worth playing)
Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
Stacking
TMNT Arcade/Simpsons Arcade
Doom and Doom 2
Sonic the Fighters (It's like so bad it's good, but it's also rebalanced for on-line and local play)
Marvel vs Capcom 2 (It's a classic that's worth having, even if it's horrendously broken)
Costume Quest (It's short and easy but still enjoyable)
Darkstalkers: Resurrection (Really the only bad thing about it is arcade cabinet skins cost MSP)
Moon Diver
Hard Corps: Uprising
Spelunky
Dungeon Defenders
Trials Evolution (Maybe get Trials HD if you really want it but you're not missing anything)
The Walking Dead (Easily GOTY)
Full House Poker
Limbo
Puzzle Quest
Puzzle Fighter
Dust: An Elysian Tail
Banjo Kazooie
Perfect Dark
Trouble Witches NEO (It's a good game with really good gameplay, just dat english dub)
Triggerheart Excelcia
Defense Grid
Shadow Complex

Avoid!
War of the Worlds (I've heard nothing special of it, let alone overly insane achieve none of you will enjoy and less than 10 people have)
God Mode (A glorified horde mode which doesn't take advantage of it's setting and feels as generic as it gets)
Sonic 4 Episode 1 and 2 (Oh god where do I start)
Fire Pro Wrestling (It's not bad like the worst thing ever but it's not the best thing ever either, it's just stuck in it's own purgatory between good and bad games. Like it's ridiculous, funny and Fire Pro, but the AI is broken to all hell and it gets really frustrating. Nothing really stands out about it.)
Game Room (It wasn't a bad idea, it was just poorly executed. Also included Atari 2600 games, where most of them didn't even work.)
Deadlight (2 hour long and can be 400G in that time, literally.)
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD
Yaris (Even if it's free it's still terrible, not even worth the bandwidth it takes to download)
Fable Pub Games

Damn I'm so depressed.

Last edited by CHIRUNO99; 05-18-2013 at 12:10 AM.
CHIRUNO99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:12 AM   #852
bonzibuddy64

bonzibuddy64's Gamercard
If you're looking for a fun, chaotic multiplayer game Battleblock Theater is a must-buy IMO. There's tons of versus gamemodes to play 4-player, online or local, and a ton of co-op levels, not to mention a huge amount of single-player and user-created levels. The level editor is awesome!
bonzibuddy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:08 AM   #853
Pray For The End

Pray 4 The End's Gamercard
The new "Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon" DLC is pretty damn awesome. And it's only 1200MP?!? Plus there around 7-10 hours of game play if you space out missions and just roam around killing stuff and finding collectibles!
Pray For The End is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:55 AM   #854
XxPownagexX

XxPownage2025xX's Gamercard
Is Castle Crashers worth getting I played the demo and had fun , but how long is the game is it worth 1200 MicroPoints?
XxPownagexX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:55 AM   #855
VonThronstahl

Throni360's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Gold   Road Map - Gold   Submit - Silver   Arcade Crazy - Silver   Over Achiever - Silver
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxPownagexX View Post
Is Castle Crashers worth getting I played the demo and had fun , but how long is the game is it worth 1200 MicroPoints?
The game is on sale every other month. Wait if you have a backlog and play other games. It's worth the 600MSP on sale.
Bejeweled Live, Crash Time 4: The Syndicate & 5: Undercover, Cro-Mag Rally, Centipede, Hunter's Trophy 2: America & Australia, SEGA Rally Online Arcade, Toy Soldiers: Boot Camp and Victorious: Time to Shine.
VonThronstahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:59 AM   #856
EarthFool

KodoSoup's Gamercard
i didn't get to play that many arcade games but these are the ones i liked the most:
Trials Evolution
Mark of the ninja
Bastion
Dust: an elysian tail
Trine 2
The walking dead
Poker night 2

Mark of the ninja, the walking dead and trials evolution are a must have imho.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:59 PM   #857
Kung Fu Man

Kung Fu Man 316's Gamercard
Games I enjoyed, though a lot of which I'd still recommend getting while on sale:
-Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project: A 2.5 side scroller that offers some interesting challenge and has some decent depth to it. The secrets in the game and some of the boss fights easily make it a fun experience, and worth giving a look at what made Nukem likable before Forever drove a semi truck through his popularity.
-Shadow Complex: Very similar to the above, but MUCH more complex. The story is junk and the bosses are really nothing to write home about. With that said the weapons and the ways you can innovate with them easily make this game, and the added extras and secrets will give you plenty of bang for your buck.
-Castle Crashers: Straight up left-to-right hack & slash fest, Castle Crashers is a fun little game with plenty of characters each with their own attack style and magics. The downside is once you've played it, you've really played it: there's not a lot in the way of hidden bosses or anything like that, just pet and weapon collecting. Still it's a helluva ride while it lasts.
-Game Room: Yep, the game that comes out swinging with a 5 point achievement as soon as you start her up, so be warned. Game Room has a great deal of good games though, albeit you have to purchase them separately, and the collections do give it a nicer, more complete sense than a lot of the stand-alone titles. In addition it works with Games on Windows Live, which while it makes it slower on many computers...might be a boon for those of you aiming to try and beat certain titles to get the elusive trophies in them.
-The Walking Dead: A great little game in the vein of the older adventure-style PC games, the Walking Dead has a great deal of narrative to it and emotional impact. While it doesn't entirely handle choice the best, it's the subtle choice and the parts where your decisions will matter that'll make it an experience worth trying. Here's hoping season 2 can keep up the momentum.
-Contra: The game is hard as heck...but good. It has enough variety to it to keep it fresh, and straightfoward enough for you to memorize the patterns over time and eventually reach the big final boss. It's a hard game by any means, but a fun one too and worth a look if you're out for some pew-pew-pew.
-Comic Jumper: Very similar to Contra as a game, just with a lifebar, witty humor and some serious depth to it. The game does get VERY hard at times, but in a way that it can still be enjoyed and keep you on the ride to the end. The achievements themselves are easy enough to get, and should be an easy 200/200 for most players.
-Doom: The original trudge through the bowels of hell is still one of the best and one of the deepest experiences I've gone through as a game. It gives plenty of diversity even with a smaller enemy cast than its sequel, lasts just long enough, and feels like a solid game all around. If you haven't played this version, you should.

To avoid:
-Poker Night 2: But Kung Fu! I love witty banter and free avatar items! Why would I hate this? Well Billy, ever listen to that witty banter repeated 50 times with no way to skip it? Or realize the AI isn't smart enough to realize you're gaming it and ready to abort to the desktop if you lose? Unless you really like Poker, it's probably a good choice to avoid this, or at the least expect to plow through it for the avatar goodies if you're after them.
-Super Contra: Yeah I love Contra. This is bloody nuts by comparison. Super Contra is *stupidly* hard, and even more punishing than the original. In a lot of ways this one is simply worth avoiding sadly, and sticking with the first game. At least until Contra 3 pops up somehow.
-Doom II: You'd think with the glowing review I gave Doom I'd be all over this one...but I'm not. Doom II is a painfully long experience by comparison and one that'll bog down a lot of players. There are a TON of levels to wade through and the enemy variety gets insanely punishing at some point between enemies that blast you within their lines of sight, to homing rockets, to chaingun dude that always seem to cluster at the worst spots. I might revisit this one someday, but for now it wasn't worth it.
-Wolfenstein 3D: This is the exact opposite of Doom II: while long, there's not much variety at all, though with the same number of 'gotcha' moments. About halfway through the game you'll start to wonder just when it ends, and even being able to reduce Hitler to slag doesn't get the taste out of your mouth that you never want to see blue walls ever again in your life. Unlike Doom II I would recommend playing it sometime...just not one that I'd say play through for all the achievements.

more later.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:56 PM   #858
Ash Abe Add

AshAbeAdd's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Heyburt View Post
DIGDUG
Game Rating - **
Ease of Achievements - *****
Replay Value- *
Cost - 400MSP

Another arcade legend, but sadly a bit easier than I remembered it... you can get 185 points in one run through which is a good selling point and the 400MSP price doesn't turn many noses away from it. The final achievement is a challenge and will take a while. If you are just going for the points however I suggest buying this game.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/achievements.php?gameID=31

Pay 400 MSP + Play for a few hours = 200 Gamerscore for you =] ...Go buy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PACMAN
MS PACMAN

Game Ratings - *****
Ease Of Achievements - ****
Replay Value - *
Cost - 400MSP Each.

Both classics, both pretty easy achievements... but the last one on both will drive you nuts. Like mental nuts... now if 400MSP is worth damaging your mental health then...go for it, and as a member of the 200 club on both I'd say they are worth having. Not much replay value though.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/guide.php?gameID=20 (PACMAN)

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/guide.php?gameID=184 (MS PACMAN)

Whatever takes your fancy... Male or Female... Pick one! or both....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pac-Man Championship Edition.

Game Rating - *****
Ease of Achievements - **
Replay Value - ***
Cost - 800MSP

Pac-Man on pills...and im not talking bout the yellow ones either . Haha if there were a genre for this game it would be nu-rave arcade. Great fun and a massive challenge even for seasoned Pac-Man players. Will keep you entertained for hours and by no means an easy 200...

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/achievements.php?gameID=255

By no means a must have game and the 800 MSP price tag is an eyebrow raiser, but if you get bored and have got 800 points to spend...get involved with a bit of our ol' yella friend.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sensible World Of Soccer.

Game Rating - *****
Ease of Achievements - *****
Replay Value - *****
Cost - 800MSP

This is the most free flowing, fun and downright awesome football game of all time. Forget your Pro Evo's and your Fifa's this was and probably still is the best soccer game on the market... Management, Gameplay...and now ONLINE SUPPORT!!! you cannot get better value for money on the marketplace than SWOS.. this IS SOCCCCARRRRRR (300 Reference necessary) Plus the achievements are well... simple.. I had the offline 165 in 40 minutes and got the online ones a day later.

The only downside is...if you don't like soccer... you'll probably avoid this like the plague. What a shame.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/f...ad.php?t=24478

If you're a football fan... then go purchase this... if not. DO IT ANYWAY!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Geometry Wars - Retro Evolved.
Game Rating-*****
Ease of Achievements-**
Replay Value-*****
Cost-400 MSP

The best arcade game on Xbox Live, period. This game is the most addictive and time wasting fun. The concept and controls are terribly simple. You shoot different geometric figures for points and use the two joysticks to move and shoot, and a trigger to use a bomb. No one really know why this game is addictive, but it is. The achievements are hard, but depending on skill they are achievable. If you have any Microsoft points, you should go this game!

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/guide.php?gameID=10

From what I've heard... this is challenging but awesome.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Joust

Game Rating - ****
Ease of Achievements - *
Replay Value - *****
Cost - 400 MS Points

A port of the classic arcade game, Joust is a coin-op game with a simple formula. You play a knight on a large bird jousting with other knights. Though the game starts out easy, as you complete each 'Wave', more enemies spawn and lava consumes platforms so staying safe becomes harder. The achievements are very difficult, and there are few that have legitimately completed the game.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/guide.php?gameID=16

Not Played By Me.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Doom
Game Rating - *****
Ease of Achievements - **
Replay Value - ***
Cost - 800 MS

A port of the popular PC game that was originally played over large computer networks before online gaming. It's a very good port, with single player and online multiplayer. The achievements are a cross between beating single player on a high difficulty and getting several kills over the online MP, and depending on your skill level can be fairly easy or difficult.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/a....php?gameID=30

I Just sat here thinking about this game, it took me ten minutes to realize I was thinking about Castle Wolfenstein. Doom's good though... Trust this guy ^
Gripshift
Game Rating - ****
Ease of Achievements -
Replay Value - *** -
Cost - 800MSP

GripShift is an Arcade Racer which requires a bit of skill but at the same time luck to collect all the stars, zoom to a fast time and to collect the "GripShift" logo on one of the many levels. There are many difficulties ranging from Beginner to Hell. If you don't feel like completing in these challenges, there's always races with power-ups. Remind you of anything? The races are pretty quick which add to the ease of the achievements.
Multiplayer is great fun but unfortunately there is no offline multiplayer. Other than that, GripShift is one of my favourite XBOX Live Arcade titles.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/f...ad.php?t=49464

This is the most fun you'll have had since the original Micro Machines (on PS1). Worth trying the trial before hand. If you enjoy the trial, you'll love the full game.
Though you're better off getting Doom BFG edition ;D
Ash Abe Add is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:13 AM   #859
Elite Orion

Elite Orion's Gamercard
just got a bunch of microsoft points and needed something to buy
Thanks for all the suggestions
Elite Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:09 AM   #860
campingtman

campingtman's Gamercard
Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon
Game Rating- *****
Ease of Achievements- ****
Replay Value- *****
Cost: 1200 MS
campingtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:08 PM   #861
DavoK87

TB x UNR34L's Gamercard
Streets of rage collection easy 400G
DavoK87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:56 PM   #862
PPsyclone

AKA Psyclone's Gamercard
do not buy battle los angeles its baddddddd! download spartacus legends its free and beast!
PPsyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:57 PM   #863
PPsyclone

AKA Psyclone's Gamercard
counter strike :go!
PPsyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:05 PM   #864
JeremyVersion1

JeremyVersion1's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPsyclone View Post
download spartacus legends its free and beast!
It's a horrible game, with lousy hit detection and has too many server problems. Can't even play the single player portion of the game unless the servers are working, and that's crap.

Thanks to the great Cpt Slaughter for the VGCE Show Logo!

JeremyVersion1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:24 PM   #865
XxLEGITSPINNRxX

XxLEGITSPINNRxX's Gamercard
Yea the billiards 2 wasn't all that fun.
XxLEGITSPINNRxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:42 PM   #866
mehatt

mehatt's Gamercard
Super Meat Boy - Fun, challenging at times and all the extras are a lot of fun. Those bandaids are ridiculous to get in every level, along with the warp zones. 1200MS but if you have extra points laying around and want something, check out the demo before hand though.
mehatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:40 PM   #867
Lord Nelson

lordnelsonsr's Gamercard
feeding Frenzy

This game is for kids. It gets boring fast
Lord Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:53 PM   #868
Lord Nelson

lordnelsonsr's Gamercard
Uno

I don't agree with the rating. I got bored quickly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vista View Post
Uno!
Game Rating-****
Ease of achievements-*****
Replay Value-****
Cost-400 MSP

A classic card game is now a classic arcade game. For 5 bucks you can play the World's favorite card game. The achievements can all be achieved in less than a day, and with the most populated online community, you will always have someone to play against. Although there are a lot of people online, you will usually get booted if you don't have a vision camera or simply if the host doesn't like you. With a few downloadable decks with different game modes, it pushes the replay value up a bit more, but the game gets very repetitive. If you have the points, and you are looking for a late night game, look no further!

Outpost Kaloki X
Game rating-****
Ease of achievements-***
Replay Value-****
Cost-800 MSP

This game is one of the most underrated games on Xbox live. Outpost is a quirky and fun tycoon like game. You build trading and mall outposts in space in order to build special buildings or make a certain amount of money. There are two campaign modes, along with downloadable scenarios and challenges. The achievements are a bit hard, so don't be expecting an easy 200 points from this one, but you can get some with videos from youtube. the replay value of this game is incredibly high, as there are over 20 missions and challenges to play.

Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved
Game Rating-*****
Ease of Achievements-**
Replay Value-*****
Cost-400 MSP

The best arcade game on Xbox Live, period. This game is the most addictive and time wasting fun. The concept and controls are terribly simple. You shoot different geometric figures for points and use the two joysticks to move and shoot, and a trigger to use a bomb. No one really know why this game is addictive, but it is. The achievements are hard, but depending on skill they are achievable. If you have any Microsoft points, you should go this game!

Heyburt-I added a new feature; Replay value, you should add it to your games as well. A game may be good, but it may have no replay value...

You can put a 5 for replay value for small arms.
Lord Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:26 PM   #869
IDarK VorteXX

IDarK VorteXX's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Silver   Staff Club - * Clueless *   Staff Club - Grifter Reborn
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Two words: Avoid Defiance.

The game is way too repetitive and boring. Not to mentioned the amount of hours you have to play to get the 1000G.

Overall Rating: 1/10

*Thanks to Audacious for the great signature*

I wear a mask. And that mask, is not to hide who I am, but to create what I am. I'm BATMAN!!!!!!!!

Don’t believe everything you read on the Internet just because there’s a picture with a quote next to it.” – Abraham Lincoln
IDarK VorteXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:31 PM   #870
MEGAMAN12345

MEGAMAN2509's Gamercard
I highly recommend Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon. I had a blast playing it, and the achievements are not to difficult. It is a definite must buy!

Looking to boost achievements in: Gotham City Imposters, Castle Crashers, Aegis Wing, Duke Nukem 3D
Gamertag: MEGAMAN2509
MEGAMAN12345 is offline   Reply With Quote