PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Main Hub > Discussion Boards > Games
Subscribe    Donate

Old 06-30-2013, 06:10 PM   #1
oopsifelldown

oopsifelldown's Gamercard
What do you guys consider as * game completion* ?

Just curious, which of the following options come closest to your view about personal game completion.

I am satisfied when :

1. I complete the single player game on any difficulty
2. I complete the game 100% ( all difficulties, challenges, collectibles, etc. )
3. I complete all achievements
4. I complete the game 100% ( all difficulties, challenges, collectibles, etc. ) including all achievements EVEN if the achievements do NOT count toward 100% game completion.
oopsifelldown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:12 PM   #2
Consulting Hunter

Send a message via MSN to Consulting Hunter Send a message via Yahoo to Consulting Hunter

herevilroyalty's Gamercard
I say 1, in general. Once I've finished the campaign (whatever difficulty, however many times), I count that as 'completed'.

But, if I really love the game, I don't count it as completed, until it's 1k'd (or however much with the DLC) and I've seen all endings.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:15 PM   #3
Azraelx

Azraelx1979ad's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by oopsifelldown View Post
Just curious, which of the following options come closest to your view about personal game completion.

I am satisfied when :

2. I complete the game 100% ( all difficulties, challenges, collectibles, etc. )
4. I complete the game 100% ( all difficulties, challenges, collectibles, etc. ) including all achievements EVEN if the achievements do NOT count toward 100% game completion.
I'm going to say number one, mainly because I never play any of the online Multiplayer or try to acquire any of those achievements
Azraelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:24 PM   #4
hupheryspangler

hupheryspangler's Gamercard
You are asking personal opinions so answers will vary depending on the responding individuals gaming style. However, this is an achievement website, so I feel the answer must come from this perspective.

I view games as having 2 types of completions.

First, the retail completion. This consists of the original 1000/400/200.

The other is the xbox.com or full completion which consists of the original 1000/400/200 plus whatever DLC acheivements have been added on.
hupheryspangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:29 PM   #5
oopsifelldown

oopsifelldown's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by hupheryspangler View Post
You are asking personal opinions so answers will vary depending on the responding individuals gaming style. However, this is an achievement website, so I feel the answer must come from this perspective.

I view games as having 2 types of completions.

First, the retail completion. This consists of the original 1000/400/200.

The other is the xbox.com or full completion which consists of the original 1000/400/200 plus whatever DLC acheivements have been added on.

Not every topic here is strictly about achievements, but if you base your game competition on achievements does that mean you won't bother completing any other game 100% on other systems?
oopsifelldown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:49 PM   #6
Azraelx

Azraelx1979ad's Gamercard
Once I've finished the single player on the highest difficulty setting, I consider it completed. I'm not big on frustrating online modes.
Azraelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:02 PM   #7
IDarK VorteXX

IDarK VorteXX's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Silver   Staff Club - * Clueless *   Staff Club - Grifter Reborn
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
For me it has to be number 4 for JRPG's. I just enjoy reading everything and collecting everything. When im done my characters are pretty much OP.

For other games it just number 3. Eg CoD. I know i will never play the game again or its multiplayer once i complete all the achievements. The only time i will play it is whenever my friends are on it. Then again it is very unlikely because i do not like CoD.

*Thanks to Audacious for the great signature*

I wear a mask. And that mask, is not to hide who I am, but to create what I am. I'm BATMAN!!!!!!!!

Don’t believe everything you read on the Internet just because there’s a picture with a quote next to it.” – Abraham Lincoln
IDarK VorteXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:21 PM   #8
Ceris
Why So Ceris-nya?

Tragic Melody's Gamercard

Awards Showcase CABS Beta Tester   Community Gaming - Bronze   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   XBA Promoter   Staff Club - Ceris   Over Achiever - Bronze   Staff - Collectibles Guide Team   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
My opinion is what the general site's stance on completions is: 100% achievements, including DLC and 0 achievements. To go a bit beyond that, if there are say, collectibles or maxing characters that aren't achievements, I still call it a completion. If I just finish the story and not the achievements, I specify what I finished. If I got all those collectibles, maxed characters, I'll say that as well.

Helping Hand Award Nominations || Please disable your ad blocker for XBA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creech
An ad blocker prevents the ad from loading in the first place, and the counter is on the ad's side, not the site's. As such, an ad blocker stops the increment from going up and no revenue is generated as a result of your page views.
Ceris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:36 PM   #9
KillerBEA
CET

Send a message via Skype™ to KillerBEA

KillerBEA XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 2   Staff Club - Madhatters13   Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff - Community and Events Team   I Can Read! NTSC-J Challenge Club - Tier 2   Community Gaming - Gold   Fight Club Challenge Club - Tier 1   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer   Toilet Bowl Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - KillerBEA   I Can Read! NTSC-J Challenge Club - Tier 1
Total Awards: 28 (more» ...)
Generally speaking getting 100% of the achievements a game has to offer. All DLC, all 0 pointers. Talking about achievement completions this is the only way that makes sense to me.

There are rare exceptions where I will add more for myself to do in the game that is beyond the achievement list. Best example would be Yugioh 5D Decade Duels, I keep playing it in order to eventually unlock all the cards and then on top of that I want to beat every single character and I have not once beaten Crow in a match. His speedy play style can just be too much sometimes.
KillerBEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:38 PM   #10
Barad
High on Life

Send a message via Skype™ to Barad

Barad XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Platinum   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Bronze   Road Map - Emerald   Achievement Guide - Platinum   Donator - Level 2   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer   Staff Club - troy0891
Total Awards: 22 (more» ...)
All achievements + all DLC is a completion in my eyes, although I hate that I feel this way.

---
10,000 Achievements - 13 July 2014

Barad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:57 AM   #11
exit9500
Duck Face Freedom Warrior

exit9500's Gamercard

Awards Showcase The Mighty Duck Face   Arcade Crazy - Silver   VGO Silver Medal   Staff - Community and Events Team   Community Gaming - Gold   Road Map - Bronze   Submit - Silver   Donator - Level 2   Micro Guide - Silver   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 1   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   CABS Beta Tester
Total Awards: 19 (more» ...)
I feel like the achievements are part of the games 100%. Even if I can get to 100% without all achievements or get all the achievements without getting 100%, I feel like I haven't completed the game until I get both.
Join the War Efforts Against the Enemy of Us ALL
exit9500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:40 AM   #12
soldier95

TearfulPrawn77's Gamercard
Im a mix between 3 and 4. For 4, that mostly applies to RPGs when i want to do every quest and collect every item even if its not for an achievement. Other than that I play for completion in which i beat single player and get all achievements.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:23 AM   #13
The Elite Elite

The Elite Elite's Gamercard
I consider a game completed when I stop enjoying the game. So, under that definition, very few of the games I've played over the years are completed, as I still enjoy playing most of them. But, if what you're asking is when I feel I've done everything there is to be done in a game, I suppose that would be when I've unlocked every achievement (or most, I don't count it when a game has a fairly large number of stupid multiplayer achievements) and done every quest. Those kinds of things, though they might vary somewhat from game to game.

Thanks to Cpt Slaugh7er for the picture!
The Elite Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:04 AM   #14
Slaughter.
Wot r u casul??!??

Cpt Slaugh7er's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Bronze   2,500 Posts   Subscriber - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
With games that I really love, I'd say 4. But with most other games, 1 or 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggD View Post
I think Halo: Reach is the best Halo game and should be played by everyone.

Slaughter. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:02 AM   #15
iBuzz7S

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   Submit - Bronze   Donator - Level 2
Game completion = #2. Achievements weren't around in the 90s and early 00s. How were those games being completed without achievements?
Old 07-01-2013, 08:52 AM   #16
Evo Kazz
Completionist

II Kazz II's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Arcade Crazy - Silver   Over Achiever - Platinum   Donator - Level 1   5,000 Posts   Staff Club - DEG23   Staff Club - Madhatters13   Staff Club - Shinobi273   Staff Club - DeekBoy   Staff Club - Rajeanero   Staff Club - Minty   Staff Club - Tyger7   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 3
Total Awards: 28 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B A R 4 D View Post
All achievements + all DLC is a completion in my eyes, although I hate that I feel this way.

Same, it's all about achievements.

Arcade Crazy - 26 - Over Achiever - 54 - XB1 Points - 34
Franchise Clubs - 5x Tier 1, 3x Tier 2, 1x Tier 3
Staff Clubs - 10

Evo Kazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:59 AM   #17
Seiryu

Seiryu Chi's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
It depends greatly on the game. I've always loved it when games actually told you a percentage (I think the first I played that did that was Super Mario World on SNES), and in that case then I would go for whatever the game considered to be 100% completion, or more, since some games had secrets that made the percentage go above 100% (such as Castlevania: Symphony of the Night which maxed out at something like 215%).

On the current generation I look at achievements/trophies as the percentage, so I go for 100% on those, and that includes all DLC and any achievements worth 0 points. Basically, I want it to appear under the "completed games" section of the dashboard, and I want to check off every single achievement on the checklist on this site. There are circumstances though where that isn't actually the end though. Some games have additional things you can do that do not give achievements, in which case I go on a game by game basis. If I really enjoy a game then I may continue playing it to complete other goals after getting all the achievements.

As for older generations and games which had no percentage, then again, it depends greatly on the game. Typically if a game has a difficulty setting then I'll start on normal and play through the story. If there are any kind of collectibles or in-game challenges then I'll go for those. Then once I've beaten the game and completed side goals it'll vary on whether I'll do anything else. If I really enjoyed the game then I'll likely run through it again on the highest difficulty, If I didn't like it or it was just so-so then I'll probably be done after one play through. The story is also a factor. A game may have a great story, but sometimes after you've seen it once it's not worth playing through again (example: Heavy Rain on PS3. I'd like to finish a second play through to complete the platinum, but after beating it once and knowing how the story ends I'm finding it hard to push myself through it again.)

The one thing I don't really consider towards the completion, ever, is multiplayer. On current gen I'll play it just enough to get any achievements tied to it, but in general I really don't like competitive multiplayer in most games. There are exceptions, such as local versus in fighting games, but in FPSs and such I can't stand it. I'll play co-op, but online competitive multiplayer is the bane of my existence. Then again, that could be because of the online community. Not really a fan of having my sexuality questioned by prepubescent spoiled brats, among other insults, but that's a discussion for a whole different topic...

Anyways... Long story short, this is basically an impossible question to answer as it varies so greatly from game to game and system to system. But since this is an Xbox 360 site dedicated to achievements I'm sure most people will just say that finishing the achievements is all.
Seiryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:06 AM   #18
EmporerDragon

EmporerDragon's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
I consider a game completed when I get all achievements (Or for games without achievements, when I get 100%).

I consider a game finished when I complete the story.

EmporerDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:17 PM   #19
Chaz Of Sparta

Chaz Of Sparta's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   XBA Promoter   Over Achiever - Bronze
Probably 3, although when it comes to RPG's it would be more of a 4.
Chaz Of Sparta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:04 PM   #20
FatalDeathSG45

BloodScourge88's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
For me, it's mainly #3: getting all of the achievements. But if it's a game I really like, I try to do all of the missions, complete challenges, etc. so sometimes it's #4: completing the game and unlocking everything, including achievements.

All random friend requests on Live will be declined. NO EXCEPTIONS.
I'll gladly accept Steam FRs, however.

Last edited by FatalDeathSG45; 07-01-2013 at 08:06 PM.
FatalDeathSG45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:12 PM   #21
ThePatrickM

ThePatrickM's Gamercard
For me to "compleat" a game i am happy with compleating the singleplayer and possible coop campain in the game but if i like the game i perfect it by getting all the achievements. This often makes me play enough of the game to feel happy with it.
ThePatrickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:56 PM   #22
darth nerdius

D4RTH N3RDIUS's Gamercard
Kinda depends on the game. For me mw3 for instance you can complete all achievements. And not unlock everything in multiplayer thats not complete i am still title hunting in that damn game. Some games to me ti truely complete must get all endings like crono trigger.
darth nerdius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:57 AM   #23
TheShadowKws84

TheShadowKws84's Gamercard
Quote:
This ^ is my response.

http://www.facebook.com/mrjones1984
TheShadowKws84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:21 PM   #24
Opiate42

Location: Canada, likely stuck in a snowdrift...with no shovel

Opiate42's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Silver   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Submit - Bronze   XBA Promoter   Staff Club - DEG23   Over Achiever - Bronze   5,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
When I no longer have any wish to play the game.

"Hit it"
Opiate42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:45 PM   #25
Spade.
A La Rev

Send a message via Skype™ to Spade.

Jacob XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Silver   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Gold   Donator - Level 2   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Staff Club - Minty   Subscriber - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze   Micro Guide - Bronze   Ambassador 1x1 Competition - Second Place
Total Awards: 15 (more» ...)
There's retail completion and full completion to me.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:44 PM   #26
Vampire Amaya

Vampire Amaya's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   Gamer Chick!
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
For games with achievements, getting them all is how I'd consider the game to be complete.
For games without achievements, I consider the game to be complete when I've done everything I can in the game.

Vampire Amaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:47 PM   #27
mostwantedmex

MoSt WaNtEd MeX's Gamercard
usually when im done with story and finding collectables and what not that comes with the game. Excluding DLC's
mostwantedmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:57 PM   #28
BiggD
Halo: MCC - 120 Days Left

BiggDope's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Road Map - Gold   Achievement Guide - Gold   Donator - Level 2   Submit - Diamond   Community Gaming - Bronze   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Bronze   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   CABS Beta Tester   10,000 posts
Total Awards: 16 (more» ...)
Retail achievements + all DLC achievements

That's how I see it. Wish I wasn't so OCD in trying to complete every game I play though.

Thanks to XeroFox for the sinister signature!

Batman: Arkham City | XBA Blog
BiggD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:16 PM   #29
queenofgotham

queenofgotham's Gamercard
Quote:

I am satisfied when :

I kind of have two modes of thinking for this, "completing" a game vs "finishing" a game. I usually think of "finishing a game" when you make it through the campaign, so number 1 (probably because before this year I never played on a system that used achievements). But now I also strive to get all the achievements, and I consider that "completing" the game, so also number 3. My first play through I care more about just finishing the campaign, and I would always give more thought to completing Number 3 (and number 2) on replays.
queenofgotham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:03 AM   #30
Dz06lt

DZ06LT's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts
when the story is complete, who gives a shit about completion %