Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Main Hub > Community and Events > Ambassadors
Subscribe    Donate

Old 07-06-2013, 02:33 AM   #1
Grifter Reborn
CET Leader & Mod

Send a message via Skype™ to Grifter Reborn

Grifter x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Emerald   Staff - Moderator   CABS Beta Tester   Over Achiever - Bronze   2,500 Posts   Staff Club - Grifter Reborn   Staff - Community and Events Team   x360a Representer   Road Map - Bronze   A+ Thread Award
Total Awards: 10 (more» ...)
Past, Present & Future

Past

It was a cold, stormy evening back in 2008 when events were set into motion that resulted in you reading this and thinking 'What the fuck is this crap?'

Sometimes it is important to understand the past in order to plan for the future. Essentially, our path as ambassadors did begin in 2008 with a simple idea of adding "x360a" onto our members' gamertags as a form of advertising. For a long time (until this year...2013, in case you're wondering) the only form of our current ambassador program existed in this advertising campaign known as the representer program. The requirements for members to become representers evolved over time ranging from minimum post counts to being required to play a game with current staff to gain permission for a gamertag change. I know, I know, 'you can't stop me from changing my gamertag' is what you are thinking. Or maybe you're thinking 'does this jackass really think I'm reading this?' In any case, they chose to combat this by having a list of "rejected" gamertags that people had changed without their permission or worse, they were giving the website a bad name. Another form of tracking approved members was the award "Word of Mouth" with the simple description "user has been seen spreading the x360a word." One of the oldest forms of advertisement (and still highly effective in today's society) is "word of mouth" which in our case essentially means that members are discussing the advantages of being a member with non-members in the hopes they will like what they're hearing and sign up. Word of mouth and the phrase "spread the x360a word" is the foundation of our program and paramount to our future.

TL;DNR- program started in '08 as Representers. Key phrases- "word of mouth", "Advertising", and "spread the x360a word"

Present

Under the direction of Jack Sparrow, no wait a sec... that's Captain Jack Sparrow. Anyways, we set sail... Oh wait, wrong story. Sorry about that. Let's try again shall we?

Under the guidance of Jappe x360a, members of the staff, of the Representer program, and of the site collaborated in an effort to expand the old Rep program into our current Ambassador program. You can see those changes here in case anyone reading this crap information wishes to do so. You can even learn more about the promoter part of the Ambassador program here.

The state of our program currently sits at 138 members (roughly), 1 tournament held, and 5 Ambassador gaming sessions, all in 5 short months under the watchful eyes of Jappe x360a and Yunder. Our 1 vs. 1 Tournament was met with some mixed reviews found here and is still being reviewed for the potential of being held once again.

Recently I held a roll call experiment here and it resulted in both a mailing list found here and productive discussions regarding the future of our program. Speaking of which...

TL;DNR- The Ambassador program is ~5 months old as we prepare for a 2nd tourney, adding more members and more changes coming soon.

Last edited by Grifter Reborn; 07-06-2013 at 02:57 AM. Reason: fixed links
Grifter Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 02:34 AM   #2
Grifter Reborn
CET Leader & Mod

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Emerald   Staff - Moderator   CABS Beta Tester   Over Achiever - Bronze   2,500 Posts   Staff Club - Grifter Reborn   Staff - Community and Events Team   x360a Representer   Road Map - Bronze   A+ Thread Award
Future

The question, "what alcohol does Grifter prefer and does he abuse it?" was recently asked and frankly I think it's none of your damn business. Who the hell do you think you are, prying into my personal life and treating me like I should be at an A.A. meeting... Whoa! Hold Up! Sorry 'bout that. Maybe I should consider some help. Anyways, back on topic.

The future of our Ambassador program starts with a clear direction. The complete lack of a mission statement or set of goals was recently brought to our attention and after a good bit of research and several discussions, we have a new path before us.

The Goals of the Ambassador program
#1- To advertise and spread the x360a word
#2- To keep x360a's community atmosphere
#3- To sustain excitement and activity in our Ambassador program

First and foremost is the advertising. Just as the ads on the site support us financially, we need to be advertisements for the site to keep growing our brand. This is the very essence behind our program and why the requirements (Motto with "x360a.org" or Gamertag with "x360a") must be met in order to become an ambassador. However, there are ways to advertise the site besides just the basic requirements. Some of our membership have suggested using social media previously like here but we've never fully explored this option or gotten into specifics. Perhaps those of you who are prolific in Facebook or Twitter have some experience and ideas to share. It was previously thought that discussions about our program with other site members was a waste of time, but after talking with people who don't know anything about us (or very little) perhaps it couldn't hurt. Many of you are active around the site and often something like a sig seen by others can be enough to generate interest in our program. I hope we start to see some around the site as they become available here. The more people in our program, the more people we have to advertise the site. It's important to talk about the advantages of being on the site and in our program to both site members and non-members to keep growing. A perfect opportunity exists in something that is currently seperate from our program, but fits this goal and the next goal's needs.

Community Gaming is still very young and could use an influx of involvement from us. The more people who are involved, the higher the chances of getting noticed by both site members and non-members. Seeing as our current "monthly gaming sesssions" have garnered less involvement as well as boosting sessions, I've decided to put those ideas on hold in hopes of increasing our involvement with the Community Gaming. Sure it's not part of us officially, but it is fun and a perfect place to advertise. More importantly, this is where you can build connections and help create and maintain a community atmosphere. This can give you new insight and perspective on your fellow members so that you won't only know them by what and where they post. Building a better community would also go a long way in preventing incidents like the one that resulted in the xbox one forum getting completely nuked. Remember to report abusive posts. Don't respond to them. If people have questions, answer them politely. Some of you already do this, just as some of you act as a welcoming committee to new members here and I think it's something we could all learn from. Myself definitely included. I'll try harder... after I finish this beer.

While we are focused on advertising (both near and far) and improving the quality of life (read: posts) here at x360a, it's important to keep our excitement and level of activity up here in our own program. So what gets you excited? Um...let's keep that response to PG-13 please. Given past discussions, we know several subjects are already laid out there such as potentially getting website merchandise. While you can find more regarding that topic here I promise you I've put the question in the staff forums a couple of times (even mentioning CafePress) in hopes of an official response. As soon as I know, you'll know. Unfortunately, I did get the official response on gamerpics for XBL:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creech
That is not going to happen. Fan sites are permitted gamerpics, but Microsoft considers us a press site, not a fan site, so we are not allowed to have one.
We also began exploring possible involvement at live events such as PAX or various Cons here and I think more ideas along these would be fantastic. We need to keep throwing things against the wall to see what sticks. Except animals... and humans... because that will just get you in a world of trouble.

We have a lot on our plate and the one question that is asked the most lately is "What will happen to the site when the Xbox One is released?" The official response:
Quote:
This Website - We are not going anywhere. We will likely be switching to a new, cleaner URL to encompass every aspect of the achievement system (360, XBLA, PC, WP, W8, X1) without specifically referencing any of them. We currently like xboxachievements.com the most, though it is not final. All other URLs (including this one) will then forward to our final choice. We own a few dozen names at the moment, so you'll be able to find us easily.
So while we did engage in a small brainstorm about the future of our program here we know that we need to be patient until a final decision is made regarding our site and is announced.

TL;DNR- Scroll back up and read the 3 goals of the Ambassador program.

Please post questions, comments, and concerns. We look forward to your feedback.

Last edited by Grifter Reborn; 07-06-2013 at 11:22 AM. Reason: fixed links
Old 07-06-2013, 04:33 AM   #3
StayonTarget
The Sum of All Zeroes

Send a message via Skype™ to StayonTarget

TheStayonTarget's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Emerald   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Gold   Donator - Level 2   CABS Beta Tester   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 1   Micro Guide - Platinum   Subscriber - Bronze   GRID 2 Award   Staff Club - Minty
Total Awards: 19 (more» ...)
Ambassador State of the Union.

God damn Grifter. I've been up to date with all this info over the course of the last 5 months and I've got to say you've stepped up to the plate tremendously. If we reach the level that I anticipate you reaching for you will be one of the key factors. You are chill on the forums and off and I have nothing but praise for you. So keep it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggD View Post
Like Barad. That damn spammer.
StayonTarget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:48 AM   #4
Jakez123
That's so cliché

Jakez123's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Bronze   RPG!!! Challenge Club - Tier 3   Road Map - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Subscriber - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   2,500 Posts   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Over Achiever - Gold   Toilet Bowl Challenge Club - Tier 1   Three Lives Remaining - Winner   Staff Club - * Clueless *
Total Awards: 18 (more» ...)
Anymore information for this "second tournament?".

Has it been decided? Still being decided? Etc?
Old 07-06-2013, 11:25 AM   #5
Grifter Reborn
CET Leader & Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakez123 View Post
Anymore information for this "second tournament?".

Has it been decided? Still being decided? Etc?
Nothing has been decided. If members wish to further discussions of what they want/don't want in the next tournament, now is a great time to start those talks again. I'm keeping a very open mind and hope everyone interested will offer input.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:33 AM   #6
Barad
High on Life

Send a message via Skype™ to Barad

Barad XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Platinum   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Bronze   Road Map - Emerald   Achievement Guide - Platinum   Donator - Level 2   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer   Staff Club - troy0891
Total Awards: 22 (more» ...)
I always wondered what happened to the regional teams gamerscore tournament that was discussed some time back.

Barad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:40 AM   #7
Grifter Reborn
CET Leader & Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by B A R 4 D View Post
I always wondered what happened to the regional teams gamerscore tournament that was discussed some time back.
The Olympics idea from Capn Doug? It's still floating around.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:11 PM   #8
xhunterrrr

Hunter XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase XBA Representer   Road Map - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Bronze   5,000 Posts   x360a Representer
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
I look forward to the new and improved you Ambassador program!

But seriously, all of that sounds awesome and I definitely want to be more involved in the program. If you need someone to devote a bit of time to anything, let me know!

Also, this:
Old 07-06-2013, 03:30 PM   #9
Jakez123
That's so cliché

Jakez123's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Bronze   RPG!!! Challenge Club - Tier 3   Road Map - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Subscriber - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   2,500 Posts   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Over Achiever - Gold   Toilet Bowl Challenge Club - Tier 1   Three Lives Remaining - Winner   Staff Club - * Clueless *
Total Awards: 18 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifter Reborn View Post
Nothing has been decided. If members wish to further discussions of what they want/don't want in the next tournament, now is a great time to start those talks again. I'm keeping a very open mind and hope everyone interested will offer input.
I take it we can discuss the next tournament here then?

Anyway, as I mentioned before this "Olympics" tournament is a terrible idea. Too much reliance on other people, the fact that it involves many countries battling it out around the world involves time zone differences, in hindsight I can tell that it'll be pretty messed up. My opinion anyway.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:40 PM   #10
Spade.
A La Rev

Send a message via Skype™ to Spade.

Jacob XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Silver   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Gold   Donator - Level 2   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Staff Club - Minty   Subscriber - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze   Micro Guide - Bronze   Ambassador 1x1 Competition - Second Place
Total Awards: 15 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by walterwhite View Post
nice work grifter!
+1
. . . .
Old 07-07-2013, 12:13 AM   #11
Crimson x360a
Banned User

Crimson x360a's Gamercard
Great work Grifter. Nice read.
Crimson x360a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:16 AM   #12
Grifter Reborn
CET Leader & Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakez123 View Post
I take it we can discuss the next tournament here then?
Absolutely! One of the reasons I created this thread was to engage any and all ideas our current members have regarding the ambassador program. Hopefully with a clear set of goals now we can find ways to achieve those goals while making sure we stay happy about our "perks", such as future tournaments.

Got an idea? Throw it out there!
Old 07-09-2013, 01:18 PM   #13
Grifter Reborn
CET Leader & Mod

Thought I'd drop a subtle hint...

Old 07-09-2013, 06:28 PM   #14
StayonTarget
The Sum of All Zeroes

Send a message via Skype™ to StayonTarget

TheStayonTarget's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Emerald   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Gold   Donator - Level 2   CABS Beta Tester   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 1   Micro Guide - Platinum   Subscriber - Bronze   GRID 2 Award   Staff Club - Minty
Total Awards: 19 (more» ...)
Quote:

Thought I'd drop a subtle hint...

Subtle hint... You posted the biggest image you could possibly find?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggD View Post
Like Barad. That damn spammer.
StayonTarget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:50 PM   #15
Grifter Reborn
CET Leader & Mod

So how does September sound for our next tourney? Not the name of the tournament, the "when".
Old 07-11-2013, 05:36 PM   #16
Lava Tonsil

andydubyew's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Community Gaming - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   Over Achiever - Bronze   XBA Promoter
Sounds great to me. I'm going for progression with a second round KO this time!
Old 07-11-2013, 06:29 PM   #17
Grifter Reborn
CET Leader & Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lava Tonsil View Post
Sounds great to me. I'm going for progression with a second round KO this time!
Who said it was an elimination tournament?
Old 07-12-2013, 04:07 AM   #18
troy0891 x360a
Guide Team Lead / Mod

Send a message via Skype™ to troy0891 x360a

troy0891 x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Platinum   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   Staff - Guide Team   Staff - Moderator   CABS Beta Tester   Staff Club - Grifter Reborn   1,000 Posts   Staff Club - Minty   Staff Club - TemporalWizard   x360a Representer   Staff Club - troy0891
Total Awards: 13 (more» ...)
Quote:
Who said it was an elimination tournament?
... what kind of tournament would it be without eliminations...
And check the GreenBook for abandoned works you may be able to lend a hand on
My Blog
troy0891 x360a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:38 PM   #19
Grifter Reborn
CET Leader & Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy0891 x360a View Post
... what kind of tournament would it be without eliminations...
In terms of "traditional tournaments", there's more than single/double elimination. Such as round robin. Or ladder. As it is, gaming tournaments are not required to be "traditional". So think outside the box. Yes I have ideas I'm prepared to move forward with, but I was hoping other people would be willing to throw some ideas out there. Sadly, it looks like nobody is taking the bait...
Old 07-12-2013, 01:40 PM   #20
xhunterrrr

Hunter XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase XBA Representer   Road Map - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Bronze   5,000 Posts   x360a Representer
Quote:
In terms of "traditional tournaments", there's more than single/double elimination. Such as round robin. Or ladder. As it is, gaming tournaments are not required to be "traditional". So think outside the box. Yes I have ideas I'm prepared to move forward with, but I was hoping other people would be willing to throw some ideas out there. Sadly, it looks like nobody is taking the bait...
I have a game. It is called Hunter Wins. The rules are simple. I always win.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:48 PM   #21
Barad
High on Life

Barad XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Platinum   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Bronze   Road Map - Emerald   Achievement Guide - Platinum   Donator - Level 2   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer   Staff Club - troy0891
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhunterrrr View Post
I have a game. It is called Hunter Wins. The rules are simple. I always win.
I like it.

For real though, shall the olympics commence? pLeAsE?

Old 07-12-2013, 01:50 PM   #22
xhunterrrr

Hunter XBA's Gamercard

Quote:
I like it.

Fine, we can call it the Olympics, but don't forget: I always win.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:56 PM   #23
Grifter Reborn
CET Leader & Mod

Quote:
I like it.

The Olympics will be a serious challenge, to be honest. And while I'm up for the challenge, there's other things to consider. The big one: Participation. No one else has called for it to happen. There's currently a subscriber tourney that has 14(?) of our members currently tied up. We have the big site vs site tourney in talks now. The way I see it, we will likely lose interest here until that is done and over with.

The solution? As small tourney, shortly after the current one ends with hopes of planning a big one down the road. Possibly advertising it around the site to get more involvement.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:11 PM   #24
Barad
High on Life

Barad XBA's Gamercard

Quote:
The Olympics will be a serious challenge, to be honest. And while I'm up for the challenge, there's other things to consider. The big one: Participation. No one else has called for it to happen. There's currently a subscriber tourney that has 14(?) of our members currently tied up. We have the big site vs site tourney in talks now. The way I see it, we will likely lose interest here until that is done and over with.

The solution? As small tourney, shortly after the current one ends with hopes of planning a big one down the road. Possibly advertising it around the site to get more involvement.
Yeah, I guess you're right. I don't know why I'm hooked to the idea so much but back when the idea first popped up I thought it was a real possibility with the amount of people involved in the discussions. Realistically a smaller tourney like you said would do fine, in which case I don't have a clue. Maybe something simple like teams of 4, who can earn the most amount of achievements per week depending on genre but that's basically what's going on now.

Old 07-12-2013, 02:12 PM   #25
Skorpion XBA
Brick Breaker

Skorpion XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 3   2,500 Posts   I Can Read! NTSC-J Challenge Club - Tier 1   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Gold   Road Map - Gold   Green Thumb - Platinum   Staff Club - Tyger7   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   Achievement Guide - Silver
Total Awards: 34 (more» ...)
Quote:
Thinking back to the last subscriber's tournament, the current subscriber's tournament and the last ambassador's tournament, I thought of this:

What if we had a ladder competition where one player is randomly paired against another player to compete against each other for GS, total number of achievements, or total number of wins? Of course, each pair would be given a certain amount of time and the one with the most GS/achievements/wins advances to compete against the winner of another pair. So if you started out with 8 players it would be decreased to 4, then 2, then the winner.

Or we could do best 2 out of 3. Meaning one player could get the most GS but their opponent could get more achievements and wins then they advance. This would be more difficult because you would have to have a common game with a random player. But I'm just throwing out ideas.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:24 PM   #26
xhunterrrr

Hunter XBA's Gamercard

I wouldn't mind something like a HORSE tournament.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:26 PM   #27
Kairi
Guide and Award Staff

Send a message via Skype™ to Kairi

Kairi x360's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Gold   Best of XBLA Challenge Club - Tier 1   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Silver   Staff - Guide Team   Achievement Guide - Silver   Road Map - Silver   CABS Beta Tester   Green Thumb - Bronze   Referrals - Bronze
Total Awards: 21 (more» ...)
Quote:
I posted an idea for a tournament in another thread; I have no idea if people would be interested in it or not, but I figured that I'll share it again anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairi View Post
This point helped give me an idea that could possibly be used in a future tournament! The idea I came up with go is kind of based off of lives in video games. It could be called something like "One Life Remaining" or something like that.
  • Everyone that signs up starts with three lives
  • Matches would be one on one and be similar to how the matches for this tournament were
  • Opponents are given randomly each round by a random generator (no brackets)
  • If a person loses a match, they lose a life!
  • When someone loses all three of their lives, they are eliminated from the tournament
  • The winner will be the person who still has a life (or lives) remaining after everyone else has no more lives left

I'm sorry if that is a horrible idea or if this isn't the right place for it, but I wanted to share my idea. n.n;
Old 07-12-2013, 06:44 PM   #28
Grifter Reborn
CET Leader & Mod

Some intriguing ideas so far.

There's a discussion underway in the staff forums (there's always discussions in the staff forums ) part of which could effect what and when we do it. I'll fill you in as soon as I know more, but I at least wanted to keep y'all "in the loop" as much as I can.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:18 PM   #29
Grifter Reborn
CET Leader & Mod

Quote:
Some intriguing ideas so far.

There's a discussion underway in the staff forums (there's always discussions in the staff forums ) part of which could effect what and when we do it. I'll fill you in as soon as I know more, but I at least wanted to keep y'all "in the loop" as much as I can.
So a quick follow-up. Our tourney can start as early as the 18th of August and should end no later than the end of September. That's our time frame. Keep an eye out in the next couple of days for a thread to vote on your tournament of choice. In the process of compiling all of the info now.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:58 PM   #30
Barad
High on Life

Barad XBA's Gamercard

Look forward to seeing what's on offer Grifter!