Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Main Hub > Announcements
Subscribe    Donate

Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 12:25 PM   #1
Creech
Administrator

Send a message via Skype™ to Creech

Just Creech's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 3   Staff - Administrator   Toilet Bowl Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - Andrew x360a   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 2   Micro Guide - Gold   Achievement Guide - Emerald   Road Map - Emerald   CABS Beta Tester   Artist of the Month   Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 2   Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 1
Total Awards: 38 (more» ...)
Just a general FYI

Hey all,

I will be slightly re-organizing the first two forums to make the organization cleaner and more structured. All the various forums will still be here, but more in a tiered structure. This is going to happen this week, so if it looks different, just spend a moment looking at the main forum page and it should all make sense. Well, unless I go completely off my rocker and do crazy stuff...

Also, we have been getting lots of questions about the site name changing as a result of the Xbox One coming out, and obviously, the answer is yes, we will be changing our name and URL. Because our bills are primarily paid for by advertising on the site, we have to coordinate any name change with the money side of things, Google search results, all that good stuff. Webb will likely make a formal front-page announcement when all the details are finalized, so hang in there! We appreciate your patience while all that behind the scenes not-so-glamorous grunt work is done.

We are going to bring back a modified Signature of the Fortnight competition next month. More details are coming, along with a name change for it, but hopefully the artists on the site will have fun and the non-artistic types (cough me cough) can ooh and aah over their efforts.

Last, but not least, GSL 12.... It is a bit early to talk about it, but I like to keep you all in the loop as much as I can. We are going to do an 8-week competition starting on October 1st. Participants in the GSL will be contributing toward the cross-site competition with PS3T as well, where the total number of achievements unlocked will be compared to the total number of trophies unlocked by their THL participants. We will have more details as we get closer, but one thing I thought I would point out is that they are actively discussing how many more of their members participate in the THL compared to the GSL... I will leave you with that thought.

Awake, Alert, & Enthusiastic!
The Silicon Rule: If the product is free, then you are the product.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:31 PM   #2
Corrupt.
Damn you, Walt Whitman!

Corrupt XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase The Sports Challenge Club - Tier 1   Off to the Races Challenge Club - Tier 1   Achievement Guide - Emerald   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Gold   Toilet Bowl Challenge Club - Tier 2   Staff - Guide Team   Green Thumb - Gold   Staff Club - TemporalWizard   Staff Club - Tyger7
Total Awards: 44 (more» ...)
Cool, sounds good. GSL/THL has potential to be massive, you know how competitive us lot are (don't talk about duckfaces...)
Old 07-23-2013, 12:32 PM   #3
Nozza XBA

SnozzyBear's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Submit - Diamond   GRID 2 Award   Staff Club - Nozza x360a   Achievement Guide - Platinum   Road Map - Platinum   Micro Guide - Silver   Over Achiever - Silver   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   XBA Promoter   Donator - Level 3   A+ Thread Award
Total Awards: 14 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creech View Post
Hey all,

I will be slightly re-organizing the first two forums to make the organization cleaner and more structured. All the various forums will still be here, but more in a tiered structure. This is going to happen this week, so if it looks different, just spend a moment looking at the main forum page and it should all make sense. Well, unless I go completely off my rocker and do crazy stuff...

Also, we have been getting lots of questions about the site name changing as a result of the Xbox One coming out, and obviously, the answer is yes, we will be changing our name and URL. Because our bills are primarily paid for by advertising on the site, we have to coordinate any name change with the money side of things, Google search results, all that good stuff. Webb will likely make a formal front-page announcement when all the details are finalized, so hang in there! We appreciate your patience while all that behind the scenes not-so-glamorous grunt work is done.

We are going to bring back a modified Signature of the Fortnight competition next month. More details are coming, along with a name change for it, but hopefully the artists on the site will have fun and the non-artistic types (cough me cough) can ooh and aah over their efforts.

Last, but not least, GSL 12.... It is a bit early to talk about it, but I like to keep you all in the loop as much as I can. We are going to do an 8-week competition starting on October 1st. Participants in the GSL will be contributing toward the cross-site competition with PS3T as well, where the total number of achievements unlocked will be compared to the total number of trophies unlocked by their THL participants. We will have more details as we get closer, but one thing I thought I would point out is that they are actively discussing how many more of their members participate in the THL compared to the GSL... I will leave you with that thought.
This sums up everything above including the bold which is my birthday!

Old 07-23-2013, 12:51 PM   #4
Grifter Reborn

Send a message via Skype™ to Grifter Reborn

Grifter x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Emerald   Staff - Moderator   CABS Beta Tester   Over Achiever - Bronze   2,500 Posts   Staff Club - Grifter Reborn   x360a Representer   Road Map - Bronze   A+ Thread Award
Total Awards: 9 (more» ...)
Quote:
We will have more details as we get closer, but one thing I thought I would point out is that they are actively discussing how many more of their members participate in the THL compared to the GSL... I will leave you with that thought.

Change is inevitable.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:12 PM   #5
Barad
High on Life

Send a message via Skype™ to Barad

Barad XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Platinum   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Bronze   Road Map - Emerald   Achievement Guide - Platinum   Donator - Level 2   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer   Staff Club - troy0891
Total Awards: 22 (more» ...)
May take part in GSL this year, 2013 is a lucky year!

---
10,000 Achievements - 13 July 2014

Old 07-23-2013, 01:21 PM   #6
H0p3sfalL
Coconut Dracula

ATT4Ck XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 2   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Community Gaming - Bronze   Subscriber - Silver   x360a Representer   1,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by B A R 4 D View Post
May take part in GSL this year, 2013 is a lucky year!
Was thinking the same . Just hope I have moved and have my 360/X1 set up by then.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:08 PM   #7
dakisbac

Send a message via Skype™ to dakisbac

Mister Dak's Gamercard

Awards Showcase VGO Gold Medal   Achievement Guide - Silver   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   CABS Beta Tester   Community Gaming - Silver   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - Minty   Ambassador 1x1 Competition - Third Place   Staff Club - dakisbac   Staff Club - * Clueless *   Staff Club - AOS Puck
I'm disappointed that the site competition ended up as GSL vs TSL, but it should still be good.

One thing to consider is that the last couple of GSLs have been staff/sub only. If you want more participants you might need to open it up this year.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:16 PM   #8
Creech
Administrator

Just Creech's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 3   Staff - Administrator   Toilet Bowl Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - Andrew x360a   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 2   Micro Guide - Gold   Achievement Guide - Emerald   Road Map - Emerald   CABS Beta Tester   Artist of the Month   Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 2   Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakisbac View Post
I'm disappointed that the site competition ended up as GSL vs TSL, but it should still be good.

One thing to consider is that the last couple of GSLs have been staff/sub only. If you want more participants you might need to open it up this year.
This year we are probably going to have the requirement be that you qualify to be on the leaderboard, have been a member for at least one year, and have at least 50,000. At least, that is where I am initially leaning. I will have a thread up for discussion in the next few weeks.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:29 PM   #9
Spade.
A La Rev

Send a message via Skype™ to Spade.

Jacob XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Silver   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Gold   Donator - Level 2   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Staff Club - Minty   Subscriber - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze   Micro Guide - Bronze   Ambassador 1x1 Competition - Second Place
Total Awards: 15 (more» ...)
Quote:
This year we are probably going to have the requirement be that you qualify to be on the leaderboard, have been a member for at least one year, and have at least 50,000:gsicon:. At least, that is where I am initially leaning. I will have a thread up for discussion in the next few weeks.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:30 PM   #10
BiggD
On Hiatus

BiggDope's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Gold   Road Map - Gold   10,000 posts   Submit - Diamond   Micro Guide - Diamond   A+ Thread Award   CABS Beta Tester   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   Donator - Level 2   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal
Total Awards: 16 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozza x360a View Post
This sums up everything above including the bold which is my birthday!

Mine too

Thanks to Slaughter for the stupendously stylistic signature.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:31 PM   #11
Creech
Administrator

Just Creech's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade. View Post
You have two months dude, get the lead out.

Old 07-23-2013, 03:05 PM   #12
Judge Bergan
The Judge

Judge Bergan's Gamercard

Awards Showcase CABS Beta Tester   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   Green Thumb - Silver   Family Corner Challenge Club - Tier 1   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Achievement Guide - Silver   XBA Promoter   Road Map - Silver   Submit - Diamond   Over Achiever - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 11 (more» ...)
Oh nice. I've never competed in one before, but I am interested in the concept. Can someone link me to an old GSL that happened so I can get an idea of what it entails? Thanks

Microsoft Xbox MVP 2014

Xbox Ambassador - Level 14
Writer for Xboxgamer.me
Old 07-23-2013, 03:14 PM   #13
Skorpion XBA
さそり XBA

Skorpion XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 3   2,500 Posts   I Can Read! NTSC-J Challenge Club - Tier 1   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Gold   Road Map - Gold   Green Thumb - Platinum   Staff Club - Tyger7   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   Achievement Guide - Silver
Total Awards: 34 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Bergan View Post
Oh nice. I've never competed in one before, but I am interested in the concept. Can someone link me to an old GSL that happened so I can get an idea of what it entails? Thanks
Me either, but I hope to this year. If I'm able to then I'm going to start hording easy games like a mofo.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:26 PM   #14
Capn Doug
Community Completionist

Capn Doug XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase The Sports Challenge Club - Tier 1   Arcade Crazy - Platinum   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 1   Best of XBLA Challenge Club - Tier 2   Off to the Races Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - Shiftie   Staff Club - Nozza x360a   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 3   I Can Read! NTSC-J Challenge Club - Tier 3   Community Gaming - Gold   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 2   Scratch the SURFACE Challenge Club - Tier 2
Total Awards: 47 (more» ...)
Quote:
This year we are probably going to have the requirement be that you qualify to be on the leaderboard, have been a member for at least one year, and have at least 50,000. At least, that is where I am initially leaning. I will have a thread up for discussion in the next few weeks.
I'm assuming that the standard caveat of people who have been subscribing/representing for more than x months are eligible regardless of any other restrictions will apply?
Old 07-23-2013, 03:53 PM   #15
Foxxy kyle

Foxxy Kyle's Gamercard

Awards Showcase You ARE the Controller Challenge Club - Tier 1   Road Map - Platinum   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Submit - Diamond   Micro Guide - Silver   XBA Promoter   2,500 Posts   Achievement Guide - Gold   Over Achiever - Bronze   Referrals - Bronze   A+ Thread Award   Bright Idea
Total Awards: 12 (more» ...)
Quote:
So then hopefully I'll be able to be in this one then. Of course i'll be on a more relaxed team though that isn't trying to win.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:56 PM   #16
Gackt
Banned User

Awards Showcase Staff Club - Gackt   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Gold   SOTF Winner   GSL 8 Winners   The Helping Hand   Bright Idea   Word of Mouth   Donator - Level 1   Submit - Bronze   Artist of the Month
Total Awards: 15 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxxy kyle View Post
So then hopefully I'll be able to be in this one then. Of course i'll be on a more relaxed team though that isn't trying to win.
We should team up than.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:58 PM   #17
Barad
High on Life

Send a message via Skype™ to Barad

Barad XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Platinum   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Bronze   Road Map - Emerald   Achievement Guide - Platinum   Donator - Level 2   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer   Staff Club - troy0891
I should also probably join a team that isn't too serious about the competiton either. Willing to play tons of games but not so much that I've turned into a monster.

---
10,000 Achievements - 13 July 2014

Old 07-23-2013, 03:59 PM   #18
Foxxy kyle

Foxxy Kyle's Gamercard

Awards Showcase You ARE the Controller Challenge Club - Tier 1   Road Map - Platinum   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Submit - Diamond   Micro Guide - Silver   XBA Promoter   2,500 Posts   Achievement Guide - Gold   Over Achiever - Bronze   Referrals - Bronze   A+ Thread Award   Bright Idea
Total Awards: 12 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gackt View Post
We should team up than.
Quote:
Originally Posted by B A R 4 D View Post
I should also probably join a team that isn't too serious about the competiton either. Willing to play tons of games but not so much that I've turned into a monster.
I think were already getting a team together.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:00 PM   #19
H0p3sfalL
Coconut Dracula

ATT4Ck XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 2   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Community Gaming - Bronze   Subscriber - Silver   x360a Representer   1,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade. View Post
If you need any help with games we both have and that we both can play I am willing to help you out. PM me if your intrested

- how many people to a team? Would love yo join you guys as well.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:03 PM   #20
Nozza XBA

SnozzyBear's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Submit - Diamond   GRID 2 Award   Staff Club - Nozza x360a   Achievement Guide - Platinum   Road Map - Platinum   Micro Guide - Silver   Over Achiever - Silver   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   XBA Promoter   Donator - Level 3   A+ Thread Award
Total Awards: 14 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Bergan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skorpion x360a View Post
Me either, but I hope to this year. If I'm able to then I'm going to start hording easy games like a mofo.
Can't. The forums get closed down once they're over. Nothing to view.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:19 PM   #21
Corrupt.
Damn you, Walt Whitman!

Corrupt XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase The Sports Challenge Club - Tier 1   Off to the Races Challenge Club - Tier 1   Achievement Guide - Emerald   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Gold   Toilet Bowl Challenge Club - Tier 2   Staff - Guide Team   Green Thumb - Gold   Staff Club - TemporalWizard   Staff Club - Tyger7
The forums do still exist. Maybe Creech could put the last one back up just so people can lol at the banter etc
Old 07-23-2013, 04:22 PM   #22
Kairi
Guide and Award Staff

Send a message via Skype™ to Kairi

Kairi x360's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Gold   Best of XBLA Challenge Club - Tier 1   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Silver   Staff - Guide Team   Achievement Guide - Silver   Road Map - Silver   CABS Beta Tester   Green Thumb - Bronze   Referrals - Bronze
Total Awards: 21 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakisbac View Post

I agree! The past GSLs requirements made it so not many people could enter; I know I have not been eligible to enter any of them so far. Since past GSLs weren't open to many people, there wouldn't be as many people signing up for it in comparison to THL, which did not have as many requirements as the past GSLs did.
Quote:
That sounds reasonable and should definitely allow more people to participate, but I suggest maybe adding a rule saying that people have participated in past GSLs can sign up for this one if they don't meet all of the requirements? That way, people like Spade can still sign up! =D

Take everything away from me, silent angel.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:48 PM   #23
Corrupt.
Damn you, Walt Whitman!

Corrupt XBA's Gamercard

I agree, some of the regular faces along with some staff do not have 50k. It would be nice to make some exceptions.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:59 PM   #24
Skorpion XBA
さそり XBA

Skorpion XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 3   2,500 Posts   I Can Read! NTSC-J Challenge Club - Tier 1   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Gold   Road Map - Gold   Green Thumb - Platinum   Staff Club - Tyger7   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   Achievement Guide - Silver
Total Awards: 34 (more» ...)
As I've mention before, I've never been in a GSL before. If I remember correctly, gamers can choose their own teams? And wasn't there a thread for those who weren't on a team to be place on a team? I'm asking because I wouldn't have a team or know of anyone who would want me on their team.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:15 PM   #25
Judge Bergan
The Judge

Judge Bergan's Gamercard

Awards Showcase CABS Beta Tester   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   Green Thumb - Silver   Family Corner Challenge Club - Tier 1   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Achievement Guide - Silver   XBA Promoter   Road Map - Silver   Submit - Diamond   Over Achiever - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 11 (more» ...)
Quote:
As I've mention before, I've never been in a GSL before. If I remember correctly, gamers can choose their own teams? And wasn't there a thread for those who weren't on a team to be place on a team? I'm asking because I wouldn't have a team or know of anyone who would want me on their team.
Same - I'd be for hire though

Microsoft Xbox MVP 2014

Xbox Ambassador - Level 14
Writer for Xboxgamer.me
Old 07-23-2013, 08:25 PM   #26
KillerBEA
Keys to the Kingdom

Send a message via Skype™ to KillerBEA

KillerBEA XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 2   Staff Club - Madhatters13   Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 1   I Can Read! NTSC-J Challenge Club - Tier 2   Community Gaming - Gold   Fight Club Challenge Club - Tier 1   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer   Toilet Bowl Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - KillerBEA   I Can Read! NTSC-J Challenge Club - Tier 1   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)
Total Awards: 27 (more» ...)
Quote:
If this remains true I lose one of the teammates I already picked.

Quote:
Hey all,

I was kinda thinking this was needed.

Quote:
2 month GSL?!?! I need to recalculate my plan now.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:49 PM   #27
TemporalWizard
Guide Team

TemporalWizard's Gamercard

Awards Showcase VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Silver   Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - troy0891   Best of XBLA Challenge Club - Tier 1   CABS Beta Tester   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Submit - Gold   1,000 Posts   Road Map - Bronze
Total Awards: 19 (more» ...)
Quote:
That is correct you group into teams of four. There is always a thread for people who don't have teams yet to post in once the GSL forum appears, which will happen closer to the start of the competition.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:57 PM   #28
Scotty
Shut up and Kiss Me!!

Scotty x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase The Mighty Duck Face   The Mighty Duck Face   Achievement Guide - Silver   Donator - Level 4   Green Thumb - Silver   Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 1   CABS Beta Tester   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   x360a Representer   Subscriber - Bronze   Road Map - Gold   A+ Thread Award
Total Awards: 17 (more» ...)
not too happy about the PS3T vs. x360a being the GSL. i've never done one of them and i probably won't be doing, it's a bit too hardcore for me. i'm only just barely forcing myself to game now for the sub/staff comp. 2 things to note though, i'm shit at getting achievements, so it's no loss and i'll still be cheering x360a on. just need to find some pom-poms and a skimpy outfit...

and Yaaaaay for re-organization.

who'm i kidding, there's no 'find', of course my wardrobe is packed with skimpy outfits...
Old 07-23-2013, 09:12 PM   #29
troy0891 x360a
Guide Team Lead / Mod

Send a message via Skype™ to troy0891 x360a

troy0891 x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Platinum   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   Staff - Guide Team   Staff - Moderator   CABS Beta Tester   Staff Club - Grifter Reborn   1,000 Posts   Staff Club - Minty   Staff Club - TemporalWizard   x360a Representer   Staff Club - troy0891
Total Awards: 13 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
just need to find some pom-poms and a skimpy outfit...

who'm i kidding, there's no 'find', of course my wardrobe is packed with skimpy outfits...
pics or it didn't happen.
And check the GreenBook for abandoned works you may be able to lend a hand on
My Blog
Old 07-23-2013, 09:17 PM   #30
Scotty
Shut up and Kiss Me!!

Scotty x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase The Mighty Duck Face   The Mighty Duck Face   Achievement Guide - Silver   Donator - Level 4   Green Thumb - Silver   Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 1   CABS Beta Tester   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   x360a Representer   Subscriber - Bronze   Road Map - Gold   A+ Thread Award
Total Awards: 17 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy0891 x360a View Post
pics or it didn't happen.
you really want to see a 3'1'' pale skin, blonde haired, but for some reason ginger bearded(It's auburn, not ginger), bodybuilder midget, with a cheerleader outfit and pom-poms? what is wrong with this world!!!

the above description is unfortunately mostly true...