Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Main Hub > Community and Events > Tournaments
Subscribe    Donate

Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 12:22 PM   #1
Grifter Reborn

Send a message via Skype™ to Grifter Reborn

Grifter x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Emerald   CABS Beta Tester   Over Achiever - Bronze   2,500 Posts   Staff Club - Grifter Reborn   x360a Representer   Road Map - Bronze   A+ Thread Award
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
3 Lives Remaining Discussion Thread

Welcome to the 2nd Ambassadors' Tournament!

Do you remember classic gaming? Those old school games when you had three chances to succeed before the game was over? Well this tournament takes you back to those days of classic gaming. You'll be competing against your fellow ambassadors trying to keep all of your lives as long as possible. Because remember, gamers don't have a life, they have multiple lives.

The rules are pretty simple. On August 17th, the scoring thread will be posted showing everyone their first round of matchups brought to you by the powers of random.org. The competition will kick off August 18th at 12:00am PT (GMT-7) as a one on one Gamerscore competition. You will have 4 days to get more Gamerscore than your competitor. You win your match up, nothing changes for you. But if you lose, you lose a life. Not the end of the world, just like losing a life in Mario. You lose a life and move on to the next match up knowing you can still win the competition. But if you lose three times, you're out of the competition. After each match up (end of 4 days), you'll have 12 hours to make sure your scores are posted correctly and another 12 hours to relax. We will tally the scores by 6pm that day (still Pacific time), tell you who won, who lost, who gets the Duck Face award (those who score 0 points) and who you'll be facing next (once again decided by random.org). Then it's back into it for another 4 days (again starting at 12:00am PT) of one on one Gamerscore action.

So there you have it, lose three times and the competition is over for you. Win enough times and you'll be alone at the top and have a shiny new award to show off. Do you have what it takes to win with 3 Lives Remaining?

Now, to make things easier on the people overseeing the event, we'll only be tracking Gamerscore earned online. Any achievements unlocked offline will not count. But that shouldn't be an issue. If your internet goes down, you still have 2 more lives to play with. Unless you lose internet later on in the tourney, like when you have 1 life left. Then you're screwed.

The following will be reiterated in the scoring thread when it is posted on the 17th:
-Each post must contain:
---The title of each game being reported for scoring.
---The Gamerscore obtained in each game during the 4 days.
---A link to xbox.com comparing that title. If you are not aware of how to make a proper "compare to" link for xbox.com, please review the instructions in the Over Achiever thread here.

Please note that if your submitted links are not properly formatted, you will get one free pass. After that, incorrect posts will NOT be scored and you will likely lose the tournament.

So there you go, 1 of the 16 participants will have at least one life left at the end of all this. Good luck keeping your lives as long as possible!

Edit:
It has been brought to my attention that the OP needed an update mentioning some "what if" scenarios that could occur in this tourney. If there's anything you think I've missed, please let me know.

Ties- Any ties that occur in a round (whether members score 0 or 1,000 or whatever) will result in a life being lost for both.

Byes- If there's any odd number of members left in a round, random.org will decide who gets a "bye week" (a.k.a. the 4 days) where they wouldn't be competing.

Profile status- At no time is anyone allowed to change their profile to "private" or "friends only." You're Ambassadors that are required to have public profiles. Anyone without a public profile will not only be removed from the tournament, they will be removed from the Ambassador program as well.

Change is inevitable.

Last edited by Grifter Reborn; 08-22-2013 at 03:23 PM. Reason: scenarios
Old 08-04-2013, 01:09 PM   #2
HadMatters13
Mod/Maximum Clubs' Jester

Send a message via Skype™ to HadMatters13

Madhatters13's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff - Moderator   CABS Beta Tester   Over Achiever - Bronze   Staff Club - Madhatters13   XBA Promoter   Donator - Level 4   1,000 Posts   Staff - Maximum Clubs Director   Forza 3 Subscribers Tournament- Winner   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   GSL 8 Winners   Castle Crashers Subscribers Tourn. - Second Place
Total Awards: 12 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEG23 View Post
Count me in, although given that I haven't been online for over two weeks let alone earned an achievement, I may be facing a quick exit and a number of duck faces
I've only unlocked one achievement since those distant memories of May 30th. Hopefully I can fix that in time for this competition though as I'm becoming far too accustomed to seeing the duck face on my profile. It actually looks more weird when it isn't there now.

~ Thanks to troy for the innocent looking hamster! ~
~ Feelings grow into hopes || Ready for Persona 5 and Dreamfall Chapters! ~
~ Swashbucklin' Diplomas for all || Xbox One Points Breakdown || Tales from the Jester's tower ~
Old 08-04-2013, 03:22 PM   #3
Barad

Location: Bristol, England Occupation: Undergraduate Status: Doing a raid
Send a message via Skype™ to Barad

Barad XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase The Mighty Duck Face   Achievement Guide - Emerald   The Sports Challenge Club - Tier 1   Community Gaming - Emerald   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Bronze   Road Map - Emerald   Donator - Level 2   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   CABS Beta Tester
Total Awards: 24 (more» ...)
Awesome.

I'm not sure I want to join this though, don't trust my pasting xbox.com links skills.

Old 08-04-2013, 03:57 PM   #4
HadMatters13
Mod/Maximum Clubs' Jester

Send a message via Skype™ to HadMatters13

Madhatters13's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff - Moderator   CABS Beta Tester   Over Achiever - Bronze   Staff Club - Madhatters13   XBA Promoter   Donator - Level 4   1,000 Posts   Staff - Maximum Clubs Director   Forza 3 Subscribers Tournament- Winner   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   GSL 8 Winners   Castle Crashers Subscribers Tourn. - Second Place
Quote:
Originally Posted by B A R 4 D View Post
I'm not sure I want to join this though, don't trust my pasting xbox.com links skills.
Do you have a secondary account you use for boosting or split screen games etc.? If so, the best way I've found to get the correct links is to log into this secondary account on Xbox.com and compare games with your main account. When you look at an individual game then the URL that you have in the address bar will always work when your score is being validated.

That's the way I've always gone about it, anyways.

~ Thanks to troy for the innocent looking hamster! ~
~ Feelings grow into hopes || Ready for Persona 5 and Dreamfall Chapters! ~
~ Swashbucklin' Diplomas for all || Xbox One Points Breakdown || Tales from the Jester's tower ~
Old 08-04-2013, 04:46 PM   #5
Jakez123

Jakez123's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Gotta Go Fast! Franchise Club - Tier 1   Free Agents - First Place   Community Gaming - Bronze   RPG!!! Challenge Club - Tier 3   Road Map - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Subscriber - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   2,500 Posts   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Over Achiever - Gold   Toilet Bowl Challenge Club - Tier 1
Total Awards: 20 (more» ...)
So a tournament based on who can splash the most cash, I don't mind, let's go for it.

Jakez123 > Dirty130
Old 08-04-2013, 07:38 PM   #6
Jardinho

Jardinho's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Gold   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Bronze   Green Thumb - Bronze   1,000 Posts   Submit - Silver   XBA Promoter   GRID 2 Award   Over Achiever - Bronze
Total Awards: 11 (more» ...)
Is Fallout 3 PC illegal, or just unsportsman-like?
Old 08-04-2013, 07:41 PM   #7
StayonTarget
Mr. Purple

Send a message via Skype™ to StayonTarget

TheStayonTarget's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - troy0891   Road Map - Silver   Achievement Guide - Silver   Community Gaming - Emerald   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Gold   Donator - Level 2   CABS Beta Tester   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 1   Micro Guide - Platinum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardinho View Post
I'd bet money on the latter. All gamerscore competitions have been purely based on sheer GS.

Thanks to Rajeanero for the sig!
Old 08-04-2013, 07:56 PM   #8
Grifter Reborn

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Emerald   CABS Beta Tester   Over Achiever - Bronze   2,500 Posts   Staff Club - Grifter Reborn   x360a Representer   Road Map - Bronze   A+ Thread Award
Quote:
As Target said, not illegal. Might be worth saving for GSL if you're hoping to compete in that though.

Change is inevitable.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:19 PM   #9
Inebriated Jedi

Send a message via Skype™ to Inebriated Jedi

Inebriated Jedi's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Silver   Staff Club - Inebriated Jedi   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Best of XBLA Challenge Club - Tier 1   Three Lives Remaining - Finalist   Donator - Level 1   Staff Club - AOS Puck   Staff Club - TemporalWizard   Staff Club - * Clueless *   XBA Promoter   1,000 Posts   Gamer Chick!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifter Reborn View Post
As Target said, not illegal. Might be worth saving for GSL if you're hoping to compete in that though.
What about boosting sessions? I'm asking because the next DLC for Halo 4 is coming out on the 20th, and I was thinking of joining a session for that on True Achievements or something.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:23 PM   #10
Jardinho

Jardinho's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Gold   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Bronze   Green Thumb - Bronze   1,000 Posts   Submit - Silver   XBA Promoter   GRID 2 Award   Over Achiever - Bronze
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Jedi View Post
What about boosting sessions? I'm asking because the next DLC for Halo 4 is coming out on the 20th, and I was thinking of joining a session for that on True Achievements or something.
Definitely A-OK!

Quote:
Hmmm, GSL or GTA 5? Bearing in mind that I'll be back at school/college. I think I'm going with the second one.

We'll see though, I might do GSL if some poor soul can't scrape four team members together. Depends on how much GS I get in this tournament and whether or not I'll need to use Fallout.

BTW Grif, you spelt my name and GT wrong in the sign-up thread!!!

Last edited by Jardinho; 08-04-2013 at 08:29 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:24 PM   #11
Purge

Send a message via AIM to Purge Send a message via MSN to Purge Send a message via Skype™ to Purge

Davy Allan's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Green Thumb - Bronze   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Road Map - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Referrals - Bronze   2,500 Posts   Submit - Silver   SOTF Runner Up   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Donator - Level 1   Word of Mouth
Sign me up ehhh~
Old 08-04-2013, 09:27 PM   #12
Jardinho

Jardinho's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purge View Post
Sign me up ehhh~
Quote:
Sign-ups begin today and will close on August 16th unless all available slots are filled before then. There are 16 slots available. I'll allow a couple of reserves in case someone needs to back out of the tourney at the last minute. Only x360a Ambassadors or x360a staff members may sign-up.
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/f...d.php?t=413156

PS. My name is still spelt wrong, Grifter.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:32 PM   #13
Purge

Send a message via AIM to Purge Send a message via MSN to Purge Send a message via Skype™ to Purge

Davy Allan's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Green Thumb - Bronze   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Road Map - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Referrals - Bronze   2,500 Posts   Submit - Silver   SOTF Runner Up   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Donator - Level 1   Word of Mouth
Quote:
Yeah, he chucked me a PM and I changed my motto. Should be enough, right?
Old 08-04-2013, 09:41 PM   #14
Jardinho

Jardinho's Gamercard

Quote:
I think you'll still have to sign-up, sorry dude. But that Word of Mouth award may swing it your way a bit quicker. You never know.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:04 PM   #15
Grifter Reborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Jedi View Post
Boosting is fine.

Quote:
PS. My name is still spelt wrong, Grifter.
My apologies. Fixed.

Quote:
I'm sorry, but no. We have a process you must go through first. To become a promoter, please follow the sign-up instructions here:
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/f...d.php?t=413156

Change is inevitable.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:53 PM   #16
Nozza XBA

SnozzyBear's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Submit - Diamond   GRID 2 Award   Staff Club - Nozza x360a   Achievement Guide - Platinum   Road Map - Platinum   Micro Guide - Silver   Over Achiever - Silver   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   XBA Promoter   Donator - Level 3   A+ Thread Award
Total Awards: 14 (more» ...)
If I get pulled in from the reserves to take part I may challenge myself.

Lose the first 2 games and then win the tournament with 1 life!

Current Gamerscore: GAMERTAG
Old 08-05-2013, 12:57 PM   #17
Skorpion XBA
Guide Team

Skorpion XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - troy0891   Micro Guide - Silver   Best of XBLA Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff - Guide Team   Achievement Guide - Gold   Subscriber - Silver   Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 3   2,500 Posts   I Can Read! NTSC-J Challenge Club - Tier 1   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal
Total Awards: 37 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozza x360a View Post

Not if while you're on that last life you go against me.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:34 PM   #18
Barad

Location: Bristol, England Occupation: Undergraduate Status: Doing a raid
Send a message via Skype™ to Barad

Barad XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase The Mighty Duck Face   Achievement Guide - Emerald   The Sports Challenge Club - Tier 1   Community Gaming - Emerald   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Bronze   Road Map - Emerald   Donator - Level 2   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   CABS Beta Tester
Total Awards: 24 (more» ...)
Quote:

Laugh if the two reserves end up being in the final..

BRING IT.

Old 08-05-2013, 02:02 PM   #19
Skorpion XBA
Guide Team

Skorpion XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - troy0891   Micro Guide - Silver   Best of XBLA Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff - Guide Team   Achievement Guide - Gold   Subscriber - Silver   Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 3   2,500 Posts   I Can Read! NTSC-J Challenge Club - Tier 1   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal
Quote:
Originally Posted by B A R 4 D View Post
Laugh if the two reserves end up being in the final..

BRING IT.
I'll bring it...and make sure you get a perma-duckface award.

LOL @ your goals for 2015.

I may actually have a shot this time. FabledGamerHero. That's all I have to say.

Last edited by Skorpion XBA; 08-05-2013 at 03:32 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:49 PM   #20
Jakez123

Jakez123's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Gotta Go Fast! Franchise Club - Tier 1   Free Agents - First Place   Community Gaming - Bronze   RPG!!! Challenge Club - Tier 3   Road Map - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Subscriber - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   2,500 Posts   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Over Achiever - Gold   Toilet Bowl Challenge Club - Tier 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skorpion x360a View Post
I'll bring it...and make sure you get a perma-duckface award.

LOL @ your goals for 2015.

I may actually have a shot this time. FabledGamerHero. That's all I have to say.
You do? We'll see about that, time to go buy avatar and CSI: Hard evidence, my hidden weapons for when I get matched up with you =)

Jakez123 > Dirty130
Old 08-05-2013, 06:14 PM   #21
Skorpion XBA
Guide Team

Skorpion XBA's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakez123 View Post
You do? We'll see about that, time to go buy avatar and CSI: Hard evidence, my hidden weapons for when I get matched up with you =)
Oh really? Challenge accepted. Your Avatar has nothing on my Fallout 3 for PC.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:21 PM   #22
Jakez123

Jakez123's Gamercard

Quote:
Oh really? Challenge accepted. Your Avatar has nothing on my Fallout 3 for PC.
And? I haven't played that game either, infact I was actually thinking of getting it also. =)

Jakez123 > Dirty130
Old 08-05-2013, 06:33 PM   #23
Skorpion XBA
Guide Team

Skorpion XBA's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakez123 View Post
And? I haven't played that game either, infact I was actually thinking of getting it also. =)
What the..?! OK. Well I have another secret weapon. Capn Doug. Yeah, he has these powers that controls the numbers produced from random.org.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:36 PM   #24
Grifter Reborn

Quote:
What the..?! OK. Well I have another secret weapon. Capn Doug. Yeah, he has these powers that controls the numbers produced from random.org.
Actually I'll be the one taking on the powers of random.org.

Change is inevitable.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:53 PM   #25
AOS Puck

AOS Puck's Gamercard

Awards Showcase CABS Beta Tester   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - Grifter Reborn   2,500 Posts   Staff/Subscriber Last Man Standing - Third Place   Staff Club - DeekBoy   Staff Club - * Clueless *   Staff Club - AOS Puck   XBA Promoter   Arcade Crazy - Silver   Over Achiever - Silver
Total Awards: 16 (more» ...)
Quote:
Doug is my protector too. *Looks at Last Man Standing Award*

Read them.... apply them.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:18 PM   #26
Skorpion XBA
Guide Team

Skorpion XBA's Gamercard

Quote:
Actually I'll be the one taking on the powers of random.org.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOS Puck View Post
Doug is my protector too. *Looks at Last Man Standing Award*
Hmm. Looks like everyone is against me. I wonder if I could bribe Creech into banning a few people? I didn't think so either.

@Puck. Just remember that bronze comes AFTER silver. Let's keep that trend going.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:54 PM   #27
Jappe XBA

Send a message via Skype™ to Jappe XBA

Jappe XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Road Map - Gold   I Can Read! NTSC-J Challenge Club - Tier 1   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   GSL 12 Winner   Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 1   Donator - Level 3   Submit - Diamond   Achievement Guide - Gold   Staff Club - Jappe x360a   Staff Club - Minty
Total Awards: 19 (more» ...)
Poor souls talking about Fallout 3 (PC) and Avatar. Pffft. Have you guys ever taken part in GSL? The first time I took part there I played about all of the games listed in the easy 1k thread with under 5 hours completion time (not the US exclusives though) and my team ended up like 7th place or something.

Sure you can get 3000GS from Avatar, NBA 2k6 and Fallout 3 (PC) in 2 hours altogether. It's just that what you'd really need to do is get 1000GS a day for the freaking 2 months

Okay that's enough of offtopic for me today. Good luck to everyone who takes part in the tourney! Remember that it's not only easy GS games that bring the 1st spot. You need to have a plan.

Microsoft Fanboy:
Xbox One 500GB (Day One Edition <3) Xbox 360 4GB + 320GB (NTSC) Xbox 360 E 250GB (PAL)
Xbox 360 E 250GB (NTSC-J) Nokia Lumia 1020 (WP8) Windows 8.1 Pro
Old 08-05-2013, 08:19 PM   #28
Nozza XBA

SnozzyBear's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Submit - Diamond   GRID 2 Award   Staff Club - Nozza x360a   Achievement Guide - Platinum   Road Map - Platinum   Micro Guide - Silver   Over Achiever - Silver   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   XBA Promoter   Donator - Level 3   A+ Thread Award
Total Awards: 14 (more» ...)
That's the problem, I don't have a plan. I will literally be a walk over. Gotta save my real game for the GSL and not these chumps

Saying that, I'll do crap in the GSL to, but don't want to waste all my games!

Current Gamerscore: GAMERTAG
Old 08-05-2013, 08:37 PM   #29
Skorpion XBA
Guide Team

Skorpion XBA's Gamercard

Quote:
That's the problem, I don't have a plan. I will literally be a walk over. Gotta save my real game for the GSL and not these chumps

Saying that, I'll do crap in the GSL to, but don't want to waste all my games!
I don't have a plan either. I was just talking crap.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:28 PM   #30
Jardinho

Jardinho's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jappe x360a View Post
Poor souls talking about Fallout 3 (PC) and Avatar. Pffft. Have you guys ever taken part in GSL? The first time I took part there I played about all of the games listed in the easy 1k thread with under 5 hours completion time (not the US exclusives though) and my team ended up like 7th place or something.

Sure you can get 3000GS from Avatar, NBA 2k6 and Fallout 3 (PC) in 2 hours altogether. It's just that what you'd really need to do is get 1000GS a day for the freaking 2 months

Okay that's enough of offtopic for me today. Good luck to everyone who takes part in the tourney! Remember that it's not only easy GS games that bring the 1st spot. You need to have a plan.
Did your team mates suck?

But 1000 a day? Screw that! I'm not a machine and I ain't made of money. This tournament will do me just fine.

Anyway, haven't a lot of the hardcore GSL guys disappeared? Or at least they won't have many games left to play.