PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Action > Dynasty Warriors 8
Subscribe    Donate

Old 08-05-2013, 03:03 AM   #1
Deathstalker333

NWS DeathKiller's Gamercard
I'm Loving This Latest Installment!

Of the "new" generation Dynasty Warriors I've enjoyed DW6 and DW7, but this latest one it's like it put so much life back into the series. Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, but I think it might be my favorite of the series.

I've loved the Hypothetical's in DW4, and I'm glad they brought them back here. Ambition Mode is really fun and challenging. The game does have it's bugs as does every game, but nothing beats being able to chop down 1000's of enemies at a time.
Deathstalker333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:41 AM   #2
BlackDragon

BlakeTheDrake's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
True... apart from the bugs, which seem to be getting ironed out bit by bit, this is probably the finest installment in the series. I can't remember the last time that EVERY character had a completely unique moveset. No clones! A separate weapon for everyone! And more characters than ever, too, with some interesting new additions. I'm already lovin' Guan Yinping, Jia Chong and Zhang Chunhua... also Lu Su, but mostly just because of his weapon. Can't beat the fun of raking your way across the battlefield as a member of the ancient warrior-order of the Gardenar! (Obscure reference - cookie to the first one who gets it. )

And yes, the Hypothetical Scenarios are the crown of it - part of the joy of videogames is the ability to create an immediate and visible change in the (virtual) world through your effort, and changing the course of history certainly counts for that. It's great fun to jump back in time and alter the conditions of that all-important battle one by one, until all the pieces are in place and you can finally push events in a different direction...

I'm also glad to see a proper Free Mode return, with 'opposing forces' scenarios available for most battles. It used to be a stable in the series, but has been depressingly missing from the last couple of installments. It provides an interesting opportunity to try famous battles from the side you usually don't see.

Frankly, the only thing missing from it being the PERFECT Dynasty Warriors game is one or more 'Other' campaigns. I wasn't a big fan of DW6 overall, but I loved the Lu Bu campaign - a set of stand-alone scenarios for each of the Other-characters just doesn't have the same impact. Why not a mini-campaign for Meng Huo and Zhurong, too? And maybe a short 'Yuan Shao Conquers The World' campaign? Or better yet, one where Zhang Jiao and Zuo Ci team up to show the world the power of the Heavens... we haven't seen Zuo Ci since DW4 (baring Warriors Orochi), so it's a bit of a shame that he only gets to appear in ONE battle.

77777 reached - 17/11-2011
Next goal: 99999!
BlackDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:34 AM   #3
Gleylancer

Send a message via AIM to Gleylancer Send a message via MSN to Gleylancer

Gleylancer's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDragon View Post
I loved the Lu Bu campaign - a set of stand-alone scenarios for each of the Other-characters just doesn't have the same impact.
Hell yeah, Battle of Guandu in DW6 with 3 parties was the absolute best thing ever happened in the entire series. This stage also had one of the most fitting musics ever.

Lu Bu randomly charging into the historical battle, then Cao Cao and Yuan Shao are like "F*** this guy" and join forces.

"Ah! Both of these armies look fairly strong. Perhaps I can find some amusement here after all."
"I had been told there was to be a big fight here. I saw nothing but pathetic worms squirming about!"

Gleylancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:52 PM   #4
AgentOrange330

AgentOrange330's Gamercard
I've been a huge fan of this series for some time now and have to say that this one might be the best so far. I've taken to it so much that I've actually started reading "The Romance of the Three Kingdoms". If you haven't checked it out yet and 1200+ pages of reading doesn't scare you I'd recommend checking it out. It's actually a pretty decent read...
Well I get up in the morning and I get my brief. I go out and stare at the world in complete disbelief. It's not righteous indignation that makes me complain. It's the fact that I always have to explain. - Van Morrison
AgentOrange330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:47 AM   #5
Deathstalker333

I'm a big fan of the kingdom of Shu, and full well knowing each dynasty warriors I'm gonna get the same everything falls apart story is fine with me cause it's great. Being able to change the one key battle when Guan Yu ultimately meets his fate is very engaging to see what might have happened. Seeing the butterfly effect is very interesting. And being able to play the opposing side was something I missed as well in Free Mode. Don't understand why they got rid of it.

I was a big fan of being able to play through a campaign like Lu Bu's and the 3-way battles. It was a good addition of the series and interesting to see a third color added in the series. Zuo Ci was in DW5 wasn't he? Didn't they do something with him and Cao Cao in DW5: Xtreme Legends or something? It's been awhile since I put 5 in.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:06 PM   #6
BlackDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathstalker333 View Post
Zuo Ci was in DW5 wasn't he? Didn't they do something with him and Cao Cao in DW5: Xtreme Legends or something? It's been awhile since I put 5 in.
I only remember him being in DW4, but he might have been added in DW5:XL - I wouldn't know, since I rarely get the XL-upgrades.

As for being a fan of Shu, all I can say is: Booooooring. The traditional 'Good Guys' singing the same old song about a 'Land of Benevolence' and being all virtuous and popular and such. Well, it reflects the original text, where they were glorified as 'Successors of the Han' due to the current emperor at the time tracing his lineage back to said dynasty. In other words, it was kind of a fluff-piece.

No, give me Wei any day of the week. An interesting melting-pot of odd and seemingly-opposing personalities drawn together by a man who was as charismatic as he was fearsome - a demon in disguise or a Hero of Chaos, depending on who you ask. Even today, the chinese version of the 'Speak of the Devil, and he appears' proverb is 'Speak of Cao Cao, and he appears'.

Only I am worthy to walk the path of ambition!

Old 08-06-2013, 04:58 PM   #7
The Duke of Darkness

The Allslayer's Gamercard

At first I didn't like it much, but it's grown on me. 3 & 5 are still my favourites though.

Quote:
I only remember him being in DW4, but he might have been added in DW5:XL - I wouldn't know, since I rarely get the XL-upgrades.
Your memory fails you. He first appeared in DW5.

Last edited by The Duke of Darkness; 08-06-2013 at 05:08 PM.
The Duke of Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:44 PM   #8
BlackDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke of Darkness View Post
Your memory fails you. He first appeared in DW5.
Damn. Ah well, I've never exactly prided myself on having a photographic memory, anyway. 5 it is. Still, I was only ONE off. And he's still only been in one DW before. So everything I said still applies, just with a (+1) applied at the end.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:37 PM   #9
Deathstalker333

Quote:
No, give me Wei any day of the week. An interesting melting-pot of odd and seemingly-opposing personalities drawn together by a man who was as charismatic as he was fearsome - a demon in disguise or a Hero of Chaos, depending on who you ask. Even today, the chinese version of the 'Speak of the Devil, and he appears' proverb is 'Speak of Cao Cao, and he appears'.
Wei was always interesting, but idk just didn't catch my interest for my favorite kingdom. I love Cao Cao's Ambition though. His quest for power is very interesting.

But Zhou Yu was the first character I ever played and was very interested in the whole Wu Conquest of the Tiger of Jiang Dong Story they had with the family fighting for their land of power. That is until I played Zhao Yun and he has become my favorite since. Them always being on the run, and the troubles and hardships they're constantly going through was engaging for me. Liu Shan, Liu Bei's son, is my least favorite though haha. He's very irritating lol.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:23 AM   #10
EmporerDragon

EmporerDragon's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathstalker333 View Post
Liu Shan, Liu Bei's son, is my least favorite though haha. He's very irritating lol.
Well, when you consider what happened to him in the DW7 intro, it's no wonder he's not quite all there.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:19 AM   #11
xRyux

xLeppardx's Gamercard
I enjoy how this one appeals to those that came from DW2 through DW5 mostly, nice mix of classic with new. I wonder if Koei will ever do another DW fighting game since DW1 was.

xRyux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:11 PM   #12
AgentOrange330

AgentOrange330's Gamercard
Here's what I want to know. If this the FINAL installment, at least in the US? the reason I ask is because I had read a little something alluding to that and I also see that last year Tecmo Koei closed one of their US branches. I'm sure they could still do localisation in Canada or even the UK for the US but I'd like to know if I need to be depressed now or later...
Well I get up in the morning and I get my brief. I go out and stare at the world in complete disbelief. It's not righteous indignation that makes me complain. It's the fact that I always have to explain. - Van Morrison
AgentOrange330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:37 AM   #13
Dayflash13

Dayflash13's Gamercard
I'll seriously cry if there's no more DW in North America. This series is the only reason I still have my console. I don't even have a Gold membership anymore.
Dayflash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:09 AM   #14
EmporerDragon

EmporerDragon's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentOrange330 View Post
Here's what I want to know. If this the FINAL installment, at least in the US? the reason I ask is because I had read a little something alluding to that and I also see that last year Tecmo Koei closed one of their US branches. I'm sure they could still do localisation in Canada or even the UK for the US but I'd like to know if I need to be depressed now or later...
I doubt it. It might be the final physical installment though, where it'll become purely digital to reduce costs (Or in the case of Sony, because of no english dub) as unfortunately, Warriors games have a pretty niche market.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:19 PM   #15
Deathstalker333

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentOrange330 View Post
Oh I hope it's not the final installment I would be quite sad as well! It's become such a great tradition and each game has provided me with endless hours of fun even though if it mainly is just the X Button.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:22 AM   #16
awesomeandy7854

xX SP4RKZz Xx's Gamercard
I cant see these games dying anytime soon they have endless things to keep it going new characters weapons stages it never ends which is good for us who love it
awesomeandy7854 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:26 PM   #17
Deathstalker333

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomeandy7854 View Post
I cant see these games dying anytime soon they have endless things to keep it going new characters weapons stages it never ends which is good for us who love it
Yeah although a lot of the content is the same from prior installments they always try to find a new way to spin it and add more content for us! I love the game and look forward to 1000G it in the future.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:22 PM   #18
floridafan765

floridafan765's Gamercard
[QUOTE=The Duke of Darkness;5922187]At first I didn't like it much, but it's grown on me. 3 & 5 are still my favourites though.

3 & 5 WERE the best, but I think now the title belongs to DW8. I still put more time into 3 than any others.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:20 PM   #19
Necrophage33

Necrophage33's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Bronze   Road Map - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
I have to say, I completely disagree about Ambition mode. I didn't care for it at all. A challenge? I don't think there was any challenge whatsoever in it. Not to mention it was completely imbalanced: with Fame battles giving you around 700-750 fame per battle, you only have to do 15 battles to max your fame. Allies come from all battles and goes almost just as quick. After I maxed fame and allies, I had enough money to level Lu Bu up to 99 with the Academy. Immediately did the 100 consecutive battles to get Red Hare. Suddenly, after 4-6 hours, there's nothing left to do in Ambition mode except farm materials to max everything out, and then farm bonds for the voice achievement. I just felt like, if the way to "beat" Ambition mode is to max allies (which is wasn't, only 300 for some dumb reason), max fame, and max all facilities, why would they make the first two requirements so incredibly quick and easy such that Great Battles and Unconventional Battles are completely useless after only a few hours of gameplay? I remember enjoying Conquest Mode in DW7 a lot more.

That being said, this was by far the best set-up for Story mode that I've seen yet. Branching paths, optional requirements affecting the outcome of the battle, and hypothetical scenarios were all awesome to see. Like was mentioned above though, I agree that the Other stories were really weak. I would have liked to see more detail paid to each story. Much more so than detail paid to some of the other stories. Maybe it's just me, but I find the second half of the Shu story incredibly boring, after Liu Bei is dead and you're just fighting battle after battle against Wei in the north with no one winning.

Still a great game and I love it, just pretty disappointed with Ambition Mode.
Necrophage33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:23 AM   #20
otaking live

Send a message via MSN to otaking live

Otaking Live's Gamercard

Awards Showcase VGO Silver Medal   2,500 Posts   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Over Achiever - Silver   XBA Promoter
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
I'm currently not to amused. I find this game VERY dark and it kinda just looks bad.

What happened to the VA for cut scenes!?

I'm tired of DW hack.

Lets get another DW Tactics. Or at least a tactics heavy Empire version.

otaking live is offline   Reply With Quote