PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Shooter > Half Life 2: The Orange Box
Subscribe    Donate

Old 04-22-2008, 05:04 PM   #61
renegadegd

renegade gd's Gamercard
great guide, thanks for the help, i actually found this achievement fun haha
renegadegd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:46 PM   #62
N4b0t

N4b0t's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munsie View Post
I just launched my little smiling pal into space this evening. You may want to edit the guide slightly though. I left the Gnome with Alyx and the vortigaunt when Alyx is on the sniper, and I was still able to retrieve him despite the door closing. Just place him next to the garage door, beside the severed legs. When you open the control for it, hop down and sprint up the stairs quickly. You should have enough time to comfortably pull him through the door.
I actually have a much simpler solution for this.

You just have to leave the gnome right next to the garage door, and make your way to the other side. When you open the door for Alyx and the Vort, try to place the chair (found besides the switch for the door) in an angle towards the gate. When you open it, the chair should fall under the door and prevent it from closing completely, leaving a little opening for you to crouch and gravity gun your little buddy back into your loving hands.

I know it works, cause I remember panicking the first time because I didn't expect to not be able to go back and get my little Bob. I didn't even have any backups back on the other side! So I tried stuff until I got him back. And frankly, sprinting to the door is waaaay too much work. Tried a hundred times without getting my Bob back!

I've done this trick 2 times in fact... Because I forgot to close the F***ing door at the end!! I though it'd unlock when I finished the game! Imagine my (very very unpleasant) surprise. Had to start all over. :'(

Hope that helps!
N4b0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 05:28 PM   #63
WrottenSandwich

WolfVelocity's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Thanks for the guide and all the extra comments... Gonna tackle this achievement tonight or tomorrow......

WrottenSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 07:02 PM   #64
the_b1ues

Radiantmist's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   SOTF Winner   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
I never thought of leaving him with Alyx ive been carrying him around the dam mines.

the_b1ues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 08:20 PM   #65
Rewmac

Rewmac Icon's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_b1ues View Post
I never thought of leaving him with Alyx ive been carrying him around the dam mines.
Yeah I did it without carrying it around thanks to completing the game before doing the rocket man achievement.

Retail Games 100%

Halo 3, Clive Barker's Jericho, Stranglehold, Transformers, Fight Night Round 3, X-Men, Smackdown vs. Raw 2008,
Avatar TLA : TBE, NHL 2K6, Spider-Man Friend Or Foe, Fantastic Four : ROTSS
NBA 2k6, King Kong, TimeShift, Bourne, Star Wars: TFU, Residen Evil 5, Naruto : The Broken Bond

Rewmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 05:00 AM   #66
Hungryb0i

Finally just put my gnome into the rocket. I'm so glad to be rid of the lil bastard.
Hungryb0i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 08:18 PM   #67
Aweso

Aweso's Gamercard
thats what I did then I saw this. Son of a bitch that part sucked.

Thanks for the guide man.
Aweso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 11:04 AM   #68
Kodomobe

Send a message via AIM to Kodomobe Send a message via Yahoo to Kodomobe

Kodomobe HBI's Gamercard
I just launched that little bastard into outer space. Good riddance.

Seriously, sweet guide. Thanks a bunch.

Kodomobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 09:24 PM   #69
Zenth Forbias

Send a message via AIM to Zenth Forbias

Rider Kibuto's Gamercard
I finally finsihed this achievement after restarting the game 4 times after losing the little bastard every time... I named him Lil' Bastard. Also, He looks like the Travelocity gnome. Coincidence?

Zenth Forbias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 04:45 AM   #70
Lord Mewt

Lord Mewt's Gamercard

Awards Showcase NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
OH yea! I finally got it done! I actually didn't have that much trouble though. Got it done in two days and it was fun to relive fond memories too! Also I thought I would have to wait til the rocket launched to get the achievement.

This guide helped alot! Thanks!

And my gnome's name was Gnomey! lol

Last edited by Lord Mewt; 06-11-2008 at 04:48 AM.
Lord Mewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 01:14 AM   #71
hellomynameisjosh

C0matose's Gamercard
this guide helped me out a lot! thanks. i was never sure if i could go back to get the gnome.
hellomynameisjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 04:17 PM   #72
checkahh

Got the achievement yesterday, thx to you and this great guide, didnt even find it that hard^^, only because i had this guide of course.
checkahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 10:59 PM   #73
CloseChief

CloseChief's Gamercard
i really don't want to do this achievement because i don't want a gnome to be my top priority.
CloseChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 11:17 PM   #74
Alex56

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4b0t View Post
I actually have a much simpler solution for this.

You just have to leave the gnome right next to the garage door, and make your way to the other side. When you open the door for Alyx and the Vort, try to place the chair (found besides the switch for the door) in an angle towards the gate. When you open it, the chair should fall under the door and prevent it from closing completely, leaving a little opening for you to crouch and gravity gun your little buddy back into your loving hands.

I know it works, cause I remember panicking the first time because I didn't expect to not be able to go back and get my little Bob. I didn't even have any backups back on the other side! So I tried stuff until I got him back. And frankly, sprinting to the door is waaaay too much work. Tried a hundred times without getting my Bob back!

I've done this trick 2 times in fact... Because I forgot to close the F***ing door at the end!! I though it'd unlock when I finished the game! Imagine my (very very unpleasant) surprise. Had to start all over. :'(

Hope that helps!
It doesn't work in half-life, this kind of thing works in portal but not half-life. I've tried everything and the door either crushes it or shoots it back out.
Alex56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:40 AM   #75
Bomber v4

Frosty x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1   Word of Mouth   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
What an amazing guide. This will help me out a lot when I start my quest with the Gnome.

Thanks

Bomber v4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 04:27 PM   #76
DTwirler

Send a message via AIM to DTwirler Send a message via MSN to DTwirler

DTwirler's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Gamer Chick!
Sorry I didn't post this sooner, but thanks so much for this! It was very helpful, and I was able to breeze through the game and safely deliver the little bas... gnome to the rocket.

DTwirler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:18 PM   #77
DevilGuy
Banned User

Send a message via MSN to DevilGuy

Hipoppotamus's Gamercard
Really awesome guide. When I start Episode 2 I'll definitely print this out and use it.
DevilGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 07:59 PM   #78
BunnyCommando

BunnyCommando's Gamercard
YES!!

The little bugger is airborne. Well, not quite, he's just locked in there. All through the game I called him Steve. Not sure why, it's just my generic catch all name.

The guide was a massive help. Thanks a lot.
BunnyCommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 04:54 AM   #79
Steve50013

Send a message via MSN to Steve50013 Send a message via Yahoo to Steve50013

Steve50013's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Forza 3 Subscribers Tournament- Runner-Up   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Achievement Guide - Silver   Road Map - Bronze   GTA IV Subscribers Tournament - Second Place   GSL 8 Winners   Uno Rush Subscribers Tournament - First Place   Call of Duty 4 Subscribers Tourn. - Third Place   N+ Subscribers Tournament - Second Place   Donator - Level 1   Submit - Bronze   A+ Thread Award
Total Awards: 12 (more» ...)
Glad to see people still think my guide is awesome Sadly I had to stop achievement hunting due to real life hopefully someday I will rejoin the world I left behind.

Looking to boost: Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, Brutal Legend, Medal of Honor Airborne, WWE Smachdown vs Raw 2008, Gears 2 (Horde), Rainbow Six Vegas, Endwar, Red Dead Redemption, Bioshock 2
Steve50013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:00 AM   #80
Hyakotake

KenslerDK's Gamercard
im currently in the mines going for the extract... glad to have this guide tell me i can leave the gnome with alyx and have a small break away from him! its like kids, you cant stay with them 24/7... sometimes you just NEED that time alone :-D
Hyakotake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 01:06 AM   #81
Y0UNIK0RN

Aireu's Gamercard
quick question can this be done with cheats on?
Y0UNIK0RN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 03:48 AM   #82
tnavi23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y0UNIK0RN View Post
quick question can this be done with cheats on?
Yes. I did it with the invincibility cheat almost the entire way and I still got the achievement.
Old 08-24-2008, 04:38 AM   #83
Y0UNIK0RN

Aireu's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnavi23 View Post
Yes. I did it with the invincibility cheat almost the entire way and I still got the achievement.
thank you read someone elses post and was freaked because I had already gone half way thanks a lot.
Y0UNIK0RN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 01:51 AM   #84
YanksForTheWin

Peter908's Gamercard
Just unlocked this achievement, a very tedious one it is. Thanks for this guide.

Now I just need 650 more kills on TF2 and Aperture Science for the 1k.
YanksForTheWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 12:04 AM   #85
Armstrong x360a

Armstrong x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1
Hey Steve, nice guide. Really helped me at the car part.

One thing that I can add is for the part you've labelled "Part Two," if you leave bob right by the gate that you open (the one with the timer that slams shut) and if you are quick you can suck him through before it closes while the vortigaunt and alyx walk through. That saves you having to launch him over the broken bridge and stuff. However, if you are too slow or you set the gnome too far from the gate you cannot get him again so be careful!

Last edited by Armstrong x360a; 09-04-2008 at 12:08 AM.
Armstrong x360a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 09:21 PM   #86
Steve50013

Send a message via MSN to Steve50013 Send a message via Yahoo to Steve50013

Steve50013's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Forza 3 Subscribers Tournament- Runner-Up   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Achievement Guide - Silver   Road Map - Bronze   GTA IV Subscribers Tournament - Second Place   GSL 8 Winners   Uno Rush Subscribers Tournament - First Place   Call of Duty 4 Subscribers Tourn. - Third Place   N+ Subscribers Tournament - Second Place   Donator - Level 1   Submit - Bronze   A+ Thread Award
Total Awards: 12 (more» ...)
Yea the reason I say to shoot him is because I tried to lay him next to the door and "doh" I was too slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armstrong x360a View Post
Hey Steve, nice guide. Really helped me at the car part.

One thing that I can add is for the part you've labelled "Part Two," if you leave bob right by the gate that you open (the one with the timer that slams shut) and if you are quick you can suck him through before it closes while the vortigaunt and alyx walk through. That saves you having to launch him over the broken bridge and stuff. However, if you are too slow or you set the gnome too far from the gate you cannot get him again so be careful!

Looking to boost: Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, Brutal Legend, Medal of Honor Airborne, WWE Smachdown vs Raw 2008, Gears 2 (Horde), Rainbow Six Vegas, Endwar, Red Dead Redemption, Bioshock 2
Steve50013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 06:34 PM   #87
anslytlid

AndreasLL's Gamercard
I just unlocked this achievement after a five hours game session

Only 4 more achievements to go.
anslytlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 03:47 PM   #88
roromx

I forgot to close the door!!!!!
OMFG!
And because I continue to play I had to go back to the chopper persuit!! And It was harder than the first time, what a p in the a!!!

When you have to go to the car and leave Alix on the sniper I threw the gnome over the door, so the gnome get to the big door when you and Alix say goodbye to the Vortigaunt, it was hard to find, but it was in the corner waiting for me!
roromx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 09:56 PM   #89
ColonelRasczak

zT xile's Gamercard
Finally got this done a couple days ago, and I gotta say this guide really helped me out a lot.

Retail 1000's - Call of Duty 2 1000, NHL07 1000, Call of Duty 4 1000, The Orange Box 1000, Fallout 3 1470/1550, Skyrim 1230/1550

Close to completion - Assassin's Creed 845/1000, Assassin's Creed 2 915/1000, Dragon Age: Origins 940/1650

Arcade - UNO 170/200, Shinobi 175/200
ColonelRasczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 05:36 AM   #90
Neonice

NeoniceNL's Gamercard
Awesome guide!! Thank you very much! I hate gnomes i always kill 'em in World or Warcraft!

--EDIT-->! Alright ENOUGH!...
...I thought I could do this without your guide and taking the gnome to white forest would be easy but I hate it! I get Paranoia from it!
I take him in a elevator BUT THE evil basted just falls Or a stupid anthilon kicks it away like a football. And he gets stuck everywere i go! I hate him!!!

example: I put the basterd on the ground and use the Ggun to pick up a piece of wood. The fence it was holding fall's on the ground RIGHT on top of the Gnome!
Omg I wonder if the Gnome does it al on Purpose! I hate it I hate it I hate it! Every time I close my eyes I see the freaking smile on his horrible face! everythime i go to bed i look under it to see if there is not a gnome lieing around there! I really freaking hate the little basterd. I can't wait to blow him to kingdom come!!!

Last edited by Neonice; 10-08-2008 at 07:11 AM.
Neonice is offline   Reply With Quote