PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Shooters > Half Life 2: The Orange Box
Subscribe    Donate

Old 01-14-2008, 03:30 AM   #1
Steve50013

Send a message via MSN to Steve50013 Send a message via Yahoo to Steve50013

Steve50013's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Forza 3 Subscribers Tournament- Runner-Up   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Achievement Guide - Silver   Road Map - Bronze   GTA IV Subscribers Tournament - Second Place   GSL 8 Winners   Uno Rush Subscribers Tournament - First Place   Call of Duty 4 Subscribers Tourn. - Third Place   N+ Subscribers Tournament - Second Place   Donator - Level 1   Submit - Bronze   A+ Thread Award
Total Awards: 12 (more» ...)
Neighborhood Watch Guide

Due to popular demand I have written this guide to help ya'll get the Neighborhood Watch Achievement.

Start the game with Chapter 6 Our Mutual Fiend and play through the level until you get to the part where you have the bomb and you can leave the garage.

Save Here

Heres a tip when you start this part press start->options and under difficulty make it Easy. This means the hunters will do less damage to you and the less damage you take the better you will be.

Ok at this point if you didn't get the Laser Guided Rocket you should have it from the top of the two ammo crates unless well for some reason you believe that it won't help to have it. Trust me it will one hit will take down a hunter. Pick it up and get the health and armor from the crates and walk over to your car. It should be equiped with a rack on the back for the bomb. Take out your pistol or which ever weapon you beleive will be best for you to shoot the bomb with and press right bumper to get the grav gun out and set your weapon on choice to your quick change.

After the battlefield "Commander" opens the gate get in your car. Drive out the gate and go to the Saw Mill.

Ok take a deep breathe stretch do what ever you need to do to get ready because this is hard you will get frustrated.

Save Here

Strider #1:

Get out of your Car and go through the "mission briefing." You can either stick around to hear him babble or jump into your car and drive to the left (when looking at the sawmill) of the sawmill towards the cranes that is where the first strider will be coming from. When it comes it will have one Hunter with it either run it over or shoot it with a rocket then get the bomb from the back of the car and stick it to the strider.

Save Here.

Strider #2:
Immediately after this one is down the 2nd strider which is fast moving will appear at the Saw Mill. You can't waste time on this one for it will destroy the saw mill if you aren't fast enough. Jump back in your car and use the boost to get back to your base as fast as humanly possible. Jump out of your car at the saw mill pick up the bomb and when the strider stops (to the right of the sawmill) to charge up you must shoot it then. Aim just a little above its head and hopefully it will stick. Quickly take out a gun and shoot it.

Save Here

Strider #3:
A few seconds after you take out the second strider the 3rd will appear at the Water tower witch is to the right of the Saw mill and down the road a little farther. He moves slow so put a bomb on the back of your car and head out toward him. The Hunter that was with the 2nd strider either you can pass him up. I just ran him over on my way to the 3rd its better if he was dead so he doesn't get in your way. If your fast you can get to the water tower right when the 3rd strider appears jump out of your car and take out your launcher and kill the 2 hunters with him. Then get the Grav gun and eliminate this strider.

Save Here

Strider #4:
Once you take care of the 3rd strider drive back to the Saw Mill. If you took care of the 3rd one quick enough you should have a few seconds to take a breathe. Get back to the saw mill and reload your bomb, and drive over to the cranes where the first strider was. There will be two hunters with it. I had 1 rocket left so I shot one and waited for the other one to jump off the cliff and ran him over. Once their taken care of jump out and blow the strider into their equivalent of hell.

Save Here

Strider #5:
Go back to the saw mill and get your self another bomb and drive over the where you took out the 2nd strider half way to the water tower. Don't bother with the Hunters on this one because you have to be quick. Shoot your bomb and take him out.

Save Here

Strider #6:
(This one appears after Strider #7)
YOU MUST HURRY ON THIS ONE! He moves fast. Hurry back to the saw mill and get a bomb and rush down the train tracks to the left of the saw mill. The building will be on your right about a click down the tracks. Stop here and get out and get the bomb ready you have to be fast and precise. Wait for the strider to stop in front of the building. When he stops take the shot once he's down you really have to move for the next one should be close to the building that it will destroy if your not quick!

Save Here

Strider #7:
Jump back into your car and head down the tracks a little more and use your radar. You will turn left onto the road and you should see a two story building in front of you. Stop right outside the bomb dispenser is on the inside on the far right side when your looking at it. Run in and grab a bomb and place it on your car if the strider is still a ways away like mine is. Put it on the rack and go and take this bad boy out.

Save Here

Strider #8:
This Strider Moves fast and comes from the Water Tower and heads for the building your at right now. Go inside and grab a bomb and wait for him here you have two shots from what I see get him on his way or get him when he stops to blow up the building. Once hes dead you'll get a short break. To kill off the Hunters and get health and armor.

Save Here

(Continued)

Looking to boost: Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, Brutal Legend, Medal of Honor Airborne, WWE Smachdown vs Raw 2008, Gears 2 (Horde), Rainbow Six Vegas, Endwar, Red Dead Redemption, Bioshock 2

Last edited by Steve50013; 01-14-2008 at 06:14 AM.
Steve50013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 06:08 AM   #2
Steve50013

Steve50013's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Forza 3 Subscribers Tournament- Runner-Up   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Achievement Guide - Silver   Road Map - Bronze   GTA IV Subscribers Tournament - Second Place   GSL 8 Winners   Uno Rush Subscribers Tournament - First Place   Call of Duty 4 Subscribers Tourn. - Third Place   N+ Subscribers Tournament - Second Place   Donator - Level 1   Submit - Bronze   A+ Thread Award
Strider #9:
Once you get everything you need go back to the sawmill and wait out the rest of the break. The next strider comes from the cranes. The rest of the striders move slowly but multiple ones come at a time, so you still have to be quick. This one comes out with 2 Hunters try to run them over or just ignore them either way hurry up and take out the strider.

Save Here

Strider #10:
The next strider comes from the Saw Mill and can be easily killed from well... The saw mill. Grab a bomb and take him out from right here.

Save Here
Strider #11:
The next Strider comes from the Water Tower and heads towards the Saw Mill. If your quick and can cut him off half way there. His two Hunter Companions can be run over easily though. Just kill them jump out and blow him up. Only two left.

Save Here

Strider #12:
Hopefully you have been able to keep up and there are no Hunters chasing you down. Quickly fly back to the saw mill and rearm your self with another bomb. This next strider comes from the Saw Mill. He only has one Hunter with him so just run him over and take out the strider.
Save Here

Strider #13:
Move back to the saw mill and get your last bomb. And drive off towards the cranes where the last strider should have already appeared. He should be on his way to the southern building where Strider #6 was. You should be able to catch his Hunter friend by surprise and run him over without him even realizing what hit him. Jump out and take this bad boy out. Once hes dead head back to the base and...

*Ding* Achievement Unlocked.

Guide Written By: ME
Thanks To: IBC Root beer

Looking to boost: Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, Brutal Legend, Medal of Honor Airborne, WWE Smachdown vs Raw 2008, Gears 2 (Horde), Rainbow Six Vegas, Endwar, Red Dead Redemption, Bioshock 2

Last edited by Steve50013; 01-14-2008 at 06:12 AM.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:13 AM   #3
highpass

highpass's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   Word of Mouth   A+ Thread Award
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Excellent work mate.
highpass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 02:31 PM   #4
arsenal0119

kevin14789's Gamercard
Thank you, now I'll finally try to finish up the game.
arsenal0119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 03:19 PM   #5
shadowr4ven

Shadow XBL's Gamercard
i don't know if i'll even attempt this. looks like hours of pissed off. haha.
shadowr4ven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:10 PM   #6
Steve50013

Steve50013's Gamercard

It only took me an hour the first time I did it and 2 hours the second because I was writing this guide.

Old 01-18-2008, 04:18 PM   #7
Hobley007

Hobley007's Gamercard
Achievement unlocked! Great guide, I couldn't have doe it without your help!
100% on PES 6, Skate, Bioshock, Fight Night 3, Call of Duty 4, Mass Effect, Bully, PES 2008, Fable 2, Prince of Persia, Resident Evil 5, Dead Space, Fallout 3 (all DLC), Assassin's Creed, Assassin's Creed II, Alan Wake, Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit, Fallout New Vegas. Arcade: Secret of Monkey Island, Monkey Island 2, Turtles in Time RS, Dead Rising: Case Zero
Hobley007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 03:19 AM   #8
JiveT

OpticDash's Gamercard
I did it today on Easy and it probably took about an hour altogether. I used the guide at first but it became too distracting and I kind of just went with the flow. The second one and I guess the sixth one (7th?) or whichever one it is that blows up that one story building a left and a right turn away from the lumber yard cabin are tough. You might have to restart a couple saves away for the latter because you can get stuck in a loop where no matter how you approach him he blows up the building as soon as you get there. As long as you know you have to take him out before the one that is on the other side near the water tower you should be OK.

But neither one has you worrying about the hunters too much. I pretty much had to kill all the hunters for the other ones. I would think doing this on NORMAL would be near impossible because of the hunters. Rockets, orb left trigger ammo for the alien rifle, and close range double barrel shotguns blasts seem to be the most effective.

I hope this rambling incoherent post helps someone.

Thanks for the guide!
JiveT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 03:38 AM   #9
Steve50013

Steve50013's Gamercard

You welcome mate just glad to help

Old 01-20-2008, 08:07 PM   #10
shadowr4ven

Shadow XBL's Gamercard
the second strider is IMPOSSIBLE. I took down #1 about halfway to the sawmill, jumped in the car, hightailed it to the sawmill and grabbed a bomb. by that time the thing was already charging up. there's no way!!! you can't even get to it in 5 seconds.

EDIT: alright, so what you have to do is, and the guide should probably mention it - is kill the first hunter, but then drive back and wait on killing #1 till it gets really close to the sawmill. that way you're right next to the mill for the second one and can toss a bomb on your car and GO right away.

Last edited by shadowr4ven; 01-20-2008 at 08:23 PM.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:30 PM   #11
shadowr4ven

Shadow XBL's Gamercard
got it. so, 90 minutes i guess. hard shit.

holy crap that ending.

Last edited by shadowr4ven; 01-20-2008 at 09:38 PM.
Old 01-21-2008, 02:22 AM   #12
Steve50013

Steve50013's Gamercard

Well the way I wrote number one was easier for me because if you don't take care of him his hunter friends are going to be on your ass as your trying to take out strider number 2.

Old 01-21-2008, 04:17 AM   #13
shadowr4ven

Shadow XBL's Gamercard
oh no, i meant to run down the hunters for #1, then get back to the saw mill and THEN take him out. that way you're already there at the mill and can grab a new bomb immediately to run towards #2. since #2 won't start until you destroy him, it's easier that way.

sorry, i hope i didn't come off as a jerk - i appreciate your guide, thanks a bunch!
Old 01-23-2008, 07:11 PM   #14
Yaz Comix37

MO Guns37's Gamercard
thank you so much it helped me alot
Old 01-24-2008, 12:27 AM   #15
Spades12321

Awards Showcase Submit - Silver
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
I have not done this yet, but when I tried I thought it was impossible because I forgot I put the games difficulty to hard.
Spades12321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 01:43 AM   #16
arachnophilia

Send a message via ICQ to arachnophilia Send a message via AIM to arachnophilia Send a message via MSN to arachnophilia Send a message via Yahoo to arachnophilia

xiphosura's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowr4ven View Post
the second strider is IMPOSSIBLE. I took down #1 about halfway to the sawmill, jumped in the car, hightailed it to the sawmill and grabbed a bomb. by that time the thing was already charging up. there's no way!!! you can't even get to it in 5 seconds.

EDIT: alright, so what you have to do is, and the guide should probably mention it - is kill the first hunter, but then drive back and wait on killing #1 till it gets really close to the sawmill. that way you're right next to the mill for the second one and can toss a bomb on your car and GO right away.
you have to pre-place the car where you're gonna kill the first strider, and then book it down to where the second comes out from around the corner, and kill him FAST. took me about half a dozen tries.
arachnophilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 04:44 PM   #17
laundryman

Send a message via AIM to laundryman

a laundryman's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   Word of Mouth
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Cool. The last achievement I have in Episode 2. I will try to get this and finish the Orange Box completely! (only portal challenges left :P)
Old 01-26-2008, 07:54 PM   #18
arachnophilia

Send a message via ICQ to arachnophilia Send a message via AIM to arachnophilia Send a message via MSN to arachnophilia Send a message via Yahoo to arachnophilia

xiphosura's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by laundryman View Post
Cool. The last achievement I have in Episode 2. I will try to get this and finish the Orange Box completely! (only portal challenges left :P)
the 55g's total almost make it worth it. i dunno about you guys, but i found the achievements for ep2 much more of a pain than hl2 and ep1.
Old 01-27-2008, 03:17 AM   #19
laundryman

Send a message via AIM to laundryman

a laundryman's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   Word of Mouth
Sweet. Just got it. Also, something I found for future reference; only the fast moving striders destroy buildings. Once you kill the last fast-mover, you can just sit back at the silo and kill them as they come
Old 01-27-2008, 03:30 AM   #20
Steve50013

Steve50013's Gamercard

some slow walkers will destroy them

Old 01-27-2008, 05:15 AM   #21
arachnophilia

xiphosura's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by laundryman View Post
Sweet. Just got it. Also, something I found for future reference; only the fast moving striders destroy buildings. Once you kill the last fast-mover, you can just sit back at the silo and kill them as they come
might depend on difficulty. the fast-walking ones definitely fire their supressors, which destroy the buildings. the others might cause some damage too. not sure. my brother said he goofed around not killing the slow striders for a while just to see, and they didn't blow up anything. he played on easy, i played on normal.

but if you leave 'em too long, they'll get to the silo and you'll lose.

camping at the silo is actually a decent strategy after you've gotten the fast ones, or at least for the last 4 or 5... the resistence fighters will train their rockets on the hunters, which makes your life a whole lot easier.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:05 AM   #22
daninthemix

This had me swearing like crazy...until I read that it was only the fast ones that destroy buildings.

Thank god it's over!

daninthemix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 06:06 PM   #23
Shaynringan

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
Thank you for the informative guide, it is working so far for me.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:07 PM   #24
SGT Sambora

i was havin trouble with strider six down the traintracks, but i found it really easy to not go down the train tracks at all. i went around until i came to the rock behind the Strider and then i fire the device at him from there because he doesnt see you easy hope this helps people.
SGT Sambora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 08:56 AM   #25
Dr Pepper 6pk

Dr Pepper 6pk's Gamercard
does anyone know if turning the difficulty to "easy" jeopardizes my chance to get the achievement or will it work either way?
Old 02-24-2008, 01:43 AM   #26
arachnophilia

xiphosura's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Pepper 6pk View Post
does anyone know if turning the difficulty to "easy" jeopardizes my chance to get the achievement or will it work either way?
it's recommended that you do it on easy. my brother did it on easy, and still got it.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:17 PM   #27
Dr.D

Send a message via AIM to Dr.D Send a message via MSN to Dr.D

By Azura's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiveT View Post
The second one and I guess the sixth one (7th?) or whichever one it is that blows up that one story building a left and a right turn away from the lumber yard cabin are tough. You might have to restart a couple saves away for the latter because you can get stuck in a loop where no matter how you approach him he blows up the building as soon as you get there. As long as you know you have to take him out before the one that is on the other side near the water tower you should be OK.
That saved my day, because after killing the Watertower strider, no matter from where or when I approached him, he'd blow the building up as soon as I got there.

Achievement unlocked, thanks for the guide. And I guess I could have saved me alot of swearing if I read the other posts about the fast striders
Dr.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 05:29 AM   #28
battle cry714

Ix5UDDNxD347HxI's Gamercard
zomg thank you so much! just grubs and web caches and im done with hl2 ep2.
battle cry714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 07:56 PM   #29
theStandbyHERO

theStandbyHERO's Gamercard
This was a great achievement. Was my last achievement for HL2 and one of my favs.
theStandbyHERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:19 PM   #30
FroZeNSouL

FroZeNSouL's Gamercard
Hi just did this.
Took me hours to do last night and couldnt see how you could keep the saw mill alive.
But shadowr4ven advice is gold. Oh and is easily posible on Normal, althou i did end it with 8hp :P

Heres some tips:

-1st strider Boost and run over the first hunter, YOU HAVE THE TIME, then drive back to the saw mill, leave the bomb on the back, and take one out from the despenser and fire and the strider, who is now alot closer to the saw mill.
Then jump in the car and boost to the 2nd strider, to have enough time to kill it.

-Use car as cover When you press X to jump out of the car it will carry on for a second more before it stops, allowing you to be placed behind the car to grab the bomb quickly. ALSO can use the car as effective cover till the strider gets closer. Duck, steady your aim, fire and quick switch and fire again to detonate, before a hunter shoots off the bomb. If you shoot the bomb on the top of the strider, normally the hunters cant get it off.

-Run hunters over when ever possible, unless its a fast strider

-Use your weopons Comes a point where you cant run over all the hunters and have a face off at the large house down from the water tower. 2 Rockets will generally kill a hunter, or can be finished off by a couple of shots, of anything else. The Alt fire of the Combine rifle kills instantly. Few times grouped hunters together, and took out 2 or 3 at a time (AI seems to dumb down after a while). Theres also about 6 explosive gas canisters in the building, and some Alt fire orbs (if you have saved some thou the game you might have 2or 3 available anyway)

-Only 3 striders destroy the houses The fast striders are the ones that croutch alot. Only 3 of them. 2nd that goes to saw mill. One that goes to the large house. One that goes down to the small shack below the sawmill/cranes

-After the break where you take out the hunters at the large house, it seems alot easier.(Think the AI dumbs down) (I did this all on NORMAL)

-Health and ammo in the large house and the small shack below the sawmill/cranes, as well as bombs.

Hope that helps guys. other than that just look at the radar!

Just need the "friend like these" and the portal challenges ones now! 4 Achievements to go!!!! w00t

Please msg if working on:GTA4, GTA5, All GoW

Last edited by FroZeNSouL; 03-17-2008 at 04:21 PM. Reason: more info
FroZeNSouL is offline   Reply With Quote