PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Action > Grand Theft Auto V
Subscribe    Donate

Old 09-15-2013, 03:24 PM   #1
GetInTheVanIHaveCandy

Map Not As Big As Reported.

My copy of GTA V came early and I'm around 8 hours in at the moment. The game is superb, but the map is not as big as the comparisson pictures showed. The comparisons made GTA V out to be around 2 to 3 times bigger than San Adreas, i can say in 100% confidence this is not the case. The map is certainly the biggest in any GTA game though, just not as huge as some people would have you believe. I've put a few waypoints down and the maps seems to be roughly 7 miles long by around 3 miles wide (In terms of actual land mass, as the map is around 50% water). The map is not a rectangle like San Adreas but these figures would make it roughly 21 square miles (san adreas is around 14 I believe)

So if you include the ocean which makes up around half the map it may be as big as rockstar said, but in terms of land mass this game is around the same size as San Andreas (probably around 20% bigger)

As i stated my figures are not concrete but the map to me seems to be the biggest in GTA history but it is not the behemoth some were expecting.

Personally I am very happy with the size of the map, also if anyone wants to know little things about the game I'll let you know what I can.
“Didn’t we have some fun though? Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said ‘Goodbye’ and you were like ‘NO WAY!’ and then I was all ‘We pretended we were going to murder you’? That was great."
-Glados

Last edited by GetInTheVanIHaveCandy; 09-15-2013 at 09:11 PM.
GetInTheVanIHaveCandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 03:27 PM   #2
I X I Shock I

I X I Shock I's Gamercard
Guess only thing I want to know is about the big open areas. Is it just that, forests an grassland and shit, or is there a lot to do out there.

Gamerscore:
25000 ~ 'Principessa in Another Castello', Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, 02/13/11
50000 ~
'One of the Bros', FIFA 13, 11/6/12
75000 ~
'My Generation', Titanfall, 03/29/14
I X I Shock I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 03:34 PM   #3
GetInTheVanIHaveCandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by I X I Shock I View Post
Guess only thing I want to know is about the big open areas. Is it just that, forests an grassland and shit, or is there a lot to do out there.
There is a huge amount to do (a lot of side activities), and from what I've played the big open areas are quite dense especially compared to GTA:SA. It is similar to SA in that you have mountainous regions, then more open desert kind of land and forests etc. You can also buy properties which will then give you access to additional side missions for example
Buying a hanger to do flying delivery missions.
Buying a taxi company to do taxi work.
I wanted to buy the Golf club but it costs $150million!
Haha
“Didn’t we have some fun though? Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said ‘Goodbye’ and you were like ‘NO WAY!’ and then I was all ‘We pretended we were going to murder you’? That was great."
-Glados
Old 09-15-2013, 03:42 PM   #4
Barad
I found some Exotic Socks

Send a message via Skype™ to Barad

Barad XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase The Sports Challenge Club - Tier 1   Community Gaming - Emerald   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Bronze   Road Map - Emerald   Achievement Guide - Platinum   Donator - Level 2   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer
Total Awards: 23 (more» ...)
Kind of glad it isn't as big as they stated tbh, I didn't believe they could produce such a huge map and have every inch of it to an acceptable detail. As long as it's still the biggest GTA map yet with all the varied environments, I'm happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotyMcFat View Post
I bought destiny thinking it was a game, instead I got a Zoo.

Barad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 04:04 PM   #5
JORDAN K 95

Send a message via Skype™ to JORDAN K 95

JORDAN K 95's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
comparison pictures?

i diddnt see any of those. i saw millions of people putting maps ontop of each other estimating the size. you can tell none were correct by the size of the roads. i dont think a city the same size as liberty city will have the same amount of roads as in 1 island of liberty city.

Thanks for the sig Gackt

BF4 RANK:
JORDAN K 95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 04:47 PM   #6
snipingheadshot

Send a message via AIM to snipingheadshot

Faux News 79's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetInTheVanIHaveCandy View Post
The map is not a revtangle like San Adreas but these figures would make it roughly 21 square miles (san adreas is around 14 I believe)
I have seen in several places, including here and here, that the map size is 49 square miles.
You're an idiot. Your dog is black. They're going to the movies. There is my car. Their dog is gone. It had no effect on me. That didn't affect me. We left, then we went to the store. He is smarter than you. It's time to leave. That dog lost its collar. His pants are loose. He is going to lose the game. I am going to the store. He has two dogs. I want to go, too. What clothes are you going to wear? They were going to the store. Where are the dogs? This is elementary level English.
snipingheadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 04:54 PM   #7
GetInTheVanIHaveCandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipingheadshot View Post
I have seen in several places, including here and here, that the map size is 49 square miles.
Perhaps they are taking all the water surrounding the map into acount? I could be wrong but the land mass itself seems to be around 3 miles wide and 7 miles long.
-Glados
Old 09-15-2013, 04:57 PM   #8
snipingheadshot

Faux News 79's Gamercard

Quote:
Perhaps they are taking all the water surrounding the map into acount?
You have the game, so you'd be the best person to test that theory.
You're an idiot. Your dog is black. They're going to the movies. There is my car. Their dog is gone. It had no effect on me. That didn't affect me. We left, then we went to the store. He is smarter than you. It's time to leave. That dog lost its collar. His pants are loose. He is going to lose the game. I am going to the store. He has two dogs. I want to go, too. What clothes are you going to wear? They were going to the store. Where are the dogs? This is elementary level English.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:02 PM   #9
GetInTheVanIHaveCandy

Quote:
All i did was set waypoint and it told me the distance from me to the waypoint.
(But this goes by the distance travelled on the roads not as the crow flys)
From top to bottom via roads was around 10 miles and from left to right was around 4 miles. I could jump in a plane and check for more accuracy
Will do that now
-Glados
Old 09-15-2013, 05:13 PM   #10
I X I Shock I

I X I Shock I's Gamercard
If you look at it the right way, I could see something like 21/28 miles square could be right. One of you said 49, the other said its 7 long. The map definitely isn't as wide as it is long. I'd say half would be about right.

Gamerscore:
25000 ~ 'Principessa in Another Castello', Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, 02/13/11
50000 ~
'One of the Bros', FIFA 13, 11/6/12
75000 ~
'My Generation', Titanfall, 03/29/14
I X I Shock I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:21 PM   #11
GetInTheVanIHaveCandy

Quote:
Tried it in a plane and it does not tell you the distance of the waypoint.
But i jumped out at the very top of the map and going from there to the base of the map at the bottom via the roads is 7.35 Miles. Remember this is not in a straight line so it is safe to say the maps length is less than 7 miles from north to south.
(Not including the ocean surrounding the island)
-Glados
Old 09-15-2013, 06:21 PM   #12
JelmerF

jelmerf's Gamercard
It's basically a big island (?) like TDU. I would have expected it to be like the Los Angeles area, so part of a big nation. With probably some invisible walls/mountains to set the boundaries of the map.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:04 PM   #13
SIMPLYMIDGET

simplymidget's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Bronze   1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Are there any underground location such as metro tunnels?

Don't waste time pulling off the petals. Cut off the head. - Spirit of Summer, Ryse

SIMPLYMIDGET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:12 PM   #14
fresh fish 101

fresh fish 101's Gamercard
Quote:
All i did was set waypoint and it told me the distance from me to the waypoint.
(But this goes by the distance travelled on the roads not as the crow flys)
From top to bottom via roads was around 10 miles and from left to right was around 4 miles. I could jump in a plane and check for more accuracy
Will do that now
I'm curious about the waypoint and maybe you'll be able to answer a question I have.
Now, the distance that the waypoint says, is that measured like a straight line from point A to point B, discounting roads?
Or are roads taken into account and the distance is measured by the length of road you'd travel to get there?

I hope this made sense and hopefully you can help me with an answer. Thanks.

100% CLUB: Alan Wake - Battlefield: BC2 - Burnout: Paradise -
Deus Ex: HR - Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Far Cry 3 - Hitman: Absolution -
LA Noire - Mafia II - Portal: Still Alive - Portal 2 - Prince of Persia: TFS -
Red Dead Redemption - Skate - Skate 3 - Sleeping Dogs

fresh fish 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:18 PM   #15
MasterSparky

mastersparky's Gamercard
My Favourite GTA is Vice City and I believe that was one of the smallest maps so size isn't everything (and so my girlfriend always tells me... )

MasterSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:21 PM   #16
GetInTheVanIHaveCandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMPLYMIDGET View Post
Are there any underground location such as metro tunnels?
Yes, not 100% about a metro system, but there are train tunnels and very large sewer systems underground.
-Glados
Old 09-15-2013, 07:21 PM   #17
GetInTheVanIHaveCandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh fish 101 View Post
I'm curious about the waypoint and maybe you'll be able to answer a question I have.
Now, the distance that the waypoint says, is that measured like a straight line from point A to point B, discounting roads?
Or are roads taken into account and the distance is measured by the length of road you'd travel to get there?

I hope this made sense and hopefully you can help me with an answer. Thanks.
The waypoint system takes roads into account and does not measure in a straight line.
-Glados
Old 09-15-2013, 07:34 PM   #18
Maka

Send a message via MSN to Maka

Maka91's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Xbox One Maximum Clubs Novice   10,000 posts   Road Map - Platinum   Achievement Guide - Emerald   GRID 2 Award   Submit - Platinum   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Micro Guide - Gold   Over Achiever - Bronze   Referrals - Silver   x360a Book Club   A+ Thread Award
Total Awards: 21 (more» ...)
I'd say the map is about 10 miles x 5 miles, minus a little bit because of the shape.

It's not 21 sq. miles though, if you set a waypoint from top to bottom, you'll the distance.
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:47 PM   #19
SIMPLYMIDGET

simplymidget's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Bronze   1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Quote:
Yes, not 100% about a metro system, but there are train tunnels and very large sewer systems underground.
Thank you. Are there underground groups/communities, such as in GTA IV?

Don't waste time pulling off the petals. Cut off the head. - Spirit of Summer, Ryse

SIMPLYMIDGET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:58 PM   #20
pX I Atticus

dI Atticus Ib's Gamercard

The map i feel is massive remember guys we can go underwater lol

pX I Atticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:58 PM   #21
Flesh-Dryer

mr godlike's Gamercard
edit: I think the 49 sq miles is WITH the water added......I tried jet skiing around the island/map and i wasn't even halfway around after 15 mins of jet skiing

Last edited by Flesh-Dryer; 09-15-2013 at 09:01 PM.
Flesh-Dryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:59 PM   #22
GetInTheVanIHaveCandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMPLYMIDGET View Post
Thank you. Are there underground groups/communities, such as in GTA IV?
I haven't come across any myself, but I am only around 8-10 hours in.
-Glados
Old 09-15-2013, 09:06 PM   #23
GetInTheVanIHaveCandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flesh-Dryer View Post
edit: I think the 49 sq miles is WITH the water added......I tried jet skiing around the island/map and i wasn't even halfway around after 15 mins of jet skiing
Yeah, the map is around 50% water so the whole
"Bigger than San Andreas, GTA IV and RDR Combined" thing is a little misleading. In terms of actual land mass the game is about the same size as san andreas (probably slightly bigger)
-Glados
Old 09-15-2013, 09:47 PM   #24
snipingheadshot

Faux News 79's Gamercard

Quote:
Yeah, the map is around 50% water so the whole
"Bigger than San Andreas, GTA IV and RDR Combined" thing is a little misleading. In terms of actual land mass the game is about the same size as san andreas (probably slightly bigger)
Well, if the underwater parts are as detailed as they said it would be, it's not misleading at all.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:56 PM   #25
dennisb407

dennisb407's Gamercard
dennisb407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:27 PM   #26
GetInTheVanIHaveCandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisb407 View Post
You realise none of these are official right, post what you want now, but when you get the game you will see for yourself.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:32 PM   #27
GetInTheVanIHaveCandy

Quote:
Well, if the underwater parts are as detailed as they said it would be, it's not misleading at all.
The underwater is detailed (as in it looks nice, there isn't really much to do there) I've been playing the game around 10 hours and have literally spent around 5 minutes underwater and maybe 15 on it.
In my opinion making a map 50% water then stating it is 49 sq miles is a little miss leading. Any game could just make a small island then an endless sea and say it is the buggest game ever.
I am happy as i didn't want a map that was to big, but i am just informing people that the actual land mass (where you will spend 99% of your time) isn't as big as people are expecting.
For the record I am loving the game and the map, I am not hating on it.
I know a lot of people have seen images like the ones above and are expecting the actual island to dwarf all previous Rockstar games but this simply isn't the case.

Last edited by GetInTheVanIHaveCandy; 09-15-2013 at 11:36 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:57 PM   #28
jedi1993

jedi1993's Gamercard
I saw two Videos about the map and after these I still thought "I don't believe this s**t, never ever this is going to be THIS big" and now it seems I was right...
The scale of the maps they compared just never was nearly the same
jedi1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:47 PM   #29
Annihil88torr

Annihil88tor's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1
How much income do you get from missions? Do you collect income from any stores you own?

instagram: andrewcool8
Annihil88torr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:56 PM   #30
Nitnoid

haZZmaTTaZZ's Gamercard

There's not an achievement to drive from the top right of the map to the lower left of the map between sunup and sunset, is there?
Nitnoid is offline   Reply With Quote