PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Action > Grand Theft Auto V
Subscribe    Donate

Old 09-19-2013, 11:58 AM   #121
vithzeral

Send a message via ICQ to vithzeral

vithzeral's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
I'm not sure why so many people are having this issue with text. It's perfect on my HD monitor. 21.5"... To the guys having issues, are your TVs a cheaper brand?

I also don't see the problem with the driving. I find it to be pretty damn good.
you are probably sitting 3 ft away or less from your monitor. Most people with a TV won't be sitting the equivalent distance away (4ft for a 30 in, or 5 ft for a 40in).

Driving is subjective but like a lot of people I think it was much better in IV
vithzeral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:34 PM   #122
SpinelesS

Mr SpinelesS's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
The third and Final Triathlon. Its just horrible. Too long, too much button mashing, and the other racers can at time go faster than you ever can so they are always on your ass or passing you.

Falling from the top of a ladder to your death instead of climbing down it.

Going home to save your game often ends up starting a mission.

SpinelesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:42 PM   #123
Crimson Ridley

Awards Showcase Staff Club - DEG23   Over Achiever - Platinum   Staff Club - dakisbac   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Referrals - Bronze   5,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1   Word of Mouth
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinelesS View Post
The third and Final Triathlon. Its just horrible. Too long, too much button mashing, and the other racers can at time go faster than you ever can so they are always on your ass or passing you.

Falling from the top of a ladder to your death instead of climbing down it.

Going home to save your game often ends up starting a mission.
You don't need to go home to save because you have a Quick Save option in your phone.

Many thanks to Cpt Slaugh7er (xboxachievements.com) for the signature!

My xba account: Crimson Ridley
My PSN account: CrimsonRidley

R.I.P. to the most wonderful person to have ever lived; my Nanna. 03/11/1932 - 06/10/2013. You will be forever remembered, and forever missed. I love you so much.
Crimson Ridley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:07 PM   #124
gratchimodo

Grouchymosla's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbles View Post
Biggest issues for me.

Driving, i seem to spin a lot especially when trying to chase someone, spin, crash into another vehicle and get stuck behind something, making me fail.
This is my biggest annoyance as well. The last GTA game I played was Vice City and I never had a problem with the driving like now....simpler days lol.

Also the freaking cops like others have said. I was hiding in a bush under an overpass but they knew somehow, so irritating. I was standing there for two minutes and then a bitch starts shooting at me.

Great game though, another complaint is not having enough time to play more!
Old 09-19-2013, 03:26 PM   #125
ONI recon 111

Oni Recon 111's Gamercard
The final triathlon is way too long. Even with infinite stamina, you can't compete against the other racers passing you at mach-5 while going uphill. First time I tried it, the guy in first place was ahead of everyone by nearly a quarter of the map.
TES IV Oblivion, Fable II, Assassin's Creed, Assassin's Creed 2, Lego Star Wars TCS, Call of Duty 4, Call of Duty World at War, Modern Warfare 2, Call of Juarez: Bound In Blood, The Saboteur, Star Wars TFU, Civilisation Revolution, Dash of Destruction, Dead Rising Case Zero, Halo Reach (w/o DLC), Metro 2033, Mass Effect 2 (w/o DLC), Call of Duty Classic, Mass Effect

Working on-
The Orange Box, Battlefield Bad Company 2, Call of Duty Black Ops, Medal of Honor
ONI recon 111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:22 PM   #126
Jack Frost

MEETSP1NNER's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Silver   Staff Club - rekikire   Knife in the Dark Challenge Club - Tier 1   Artist of the Month   Community Gaming - Bronze   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 2   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 1   Micro Guide - Bronze   Over Achiever - Silver   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 10 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterWhite View Post
This guy... I've had almost all the same issues as you buddy.

1. The font is a problem, simple as that.
Well, at least I'm not alone... :P

And I've got a 35" HD monitor displaying everything at 1920 x 1080p and I'm sitting about 3-4 feet away.

The text is too small.

Quote:
2. I haven't done anything with Chop yet, so I can't comment on this.
After the second time he jumped out of the car, I just started leaving him behind...

Quote:
3. Collectibles. Haven't seen a single one. Collecting all 150+ or whatever the hell it is, even with a guide, is gonna be two days of work on it's own. I probably won't even do it. I know the letters are just pages laying on the ground. I only know that from watching thirty seconds of a collectibles video in some thread on here.
Yeah, I finally realized that at the bottom of the Social Club's 100% Checklist there's a map that includes the Letter Scraps and Alien Space Ship Parts at the very least. You can click on "Not Found" on the right just above the map and it'll show you their locations all over the world. I recommend going after them, I found some cool secluded spots (that I'm sure help unlock the achievement for visiting everything) and I even stumbled across my second bail bond jumper (and accidentally brought him in alive!).

My favorite Space Ship piece so far is the one that has a group of people in lawn chairs sitting around it in a semi-circle just staring at it while it glows and pulses.

Quote:
4. Remember when I pointed out the verticality problem when we played Dead Island Riptide? Looks to be something developers aren't even aware of. One or two star wanted levels are a pain, I get nervous now at three. I can't imagine what five is going to look like, probably a lot like a reload screen.
One of the other problems with this is that there's a story mission (trying not to spoil) where the crew evades the cops by going through the subway and sewer systems, which is misleading. Because when I tried the same thing off-mission, the cops could see me beneath street level.

And someone here mentioned that he drove under a mission icon and it triggered while he was in the subway. Did R* really expect that no one would explore underground until they'd finished all the missions? That seems rather short-sighted.

Quote:
5. Ladders, fuck. They're wonderful for going up. Going down, you have about a 10% chance of getting on the things. Early on there's a mission in some factory with Lamar and Stretch or whatever his name is when he gets out of jail. When I first got to the factory I thought the game wanted me to go on the roof because the marker was pointing up and I saw a ladder right away. Fell off and died two fucking times on that and I didn't even need to go up there. Lamar fell off too.
That's kind of fucked-up, sorry about that. Though, for the record, I would've laughed seeing Lamar fall to his death...

At any rate, since I was finding collectibles for a bit last night, a few of them are atop structures with ladders, so I was very careful. It turns out that you basically need to walk directly into the center of the ladder in order to trigger the animation of turning around and climbing down. If you walk up and your character's foot raises up and is on top of the handrail to the ladder, you will fall. Pull back and re-align yourself.

Which is great and all, but how is this going to affect me when I have to do this while being chased? Something tells me this really could've been tightened up...

Quote:
I'd also add to the list that I miss the option of being able to decide if the camera returns to it's original position when you're done adjusting it, I know it was an option in Red Dead Redemption and I miss it here. I like to tilt it just slightly up over the car so I can see what's in front of me better rather than having it at eye level.
Yeah, I dunno why they'd not give that option, particularly after being so proud of the graphics and the world they've built. You'd think they'd let you have full control of how you viewed it...

The only thing that works for me with driving is to hit the back button until the camera is as far away as possible from the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callum x360a View Post
There is one little thing bugging me. When you get a Wanted level, the cops appear, but when you haven't got one you very, very rarely drive past any.

In the whole time I've been playing, I've probably seen one police officer walking the streets. I've seen a few in cars chasing someone down, but they don't just drive around normally patrolling like they did in the other GTA games.

It's just a little strange that they aren't around until they're after you.
Coming from someone who's lived in California most of his life, I have to say that's actually rather accurate. Cops don't walk the streets here, they drive around in their prowlers or on motorcycles.

I see cop cars infrequently, but I do see them.

Hell, this morning, I was playing Michael and had to steal a car after he'd been left in the desert. As I approached a nearby freeway to cross it, from beneath an underpass, a cop car comes out pushing a station wagon up the freeway. I stop and watch.

It pushes the station wagon for about another 10 yards before the cop finally has had enough and gets out of his vehicle. The station wagon driver emerges and the two begin arguing verbally (very cool that they do this, by the way). Seconds later, two more cop cars arrive behind the driver and exit their vehicles as well.

The driver of the station wagon had not done anything that I could see, but these other two cops had itchy trigger fingers and opened fire on him anyway. The driver whipped out a gun and spun around to return fire only to be shot in the back and killed by the officer who had rammed his vehicle in the first place.

So the cops are still out there, and they still dispense some rough justice.

Last edited by Jack Frost; 09-19-2013 at 04:45 PM.
Jack Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:45 PM   #127
BiggD
On Hiatus

BiggDope's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Gold   Road Map - Gold   10,000 posts   Submit - Diamond   Micro Guide - Diamond   A+ Thread Award   CABS Beta Tester   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   Donator - Level 2   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal
Total Awards: 16 (more» ...)
My fingers hurt from typing up the guide :'( </3

Thanks to Slaughter for the stupendously stylistic signature.
BiggD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:56 PM   #128
Josh Brown

BrownyBaby7's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Bronze
My only problem with the game is the story length. I've played about 25 hours with a LOT of exploring and messing about and I'm already about 45/69 missions. Considering how big the map is there doesn't seem to be much to the story, out of interest how many missions did IV and San Andreas have? They felt much more lengthy to me
Old 09-19-2013, 05:03 PM   #129
Flibbity Floid

Deadpool Psycko's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Referrals - Bronze
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Frost View Post
Well, at least I'm not alone... :P

And I've got a 35" HD monitor displaying everything at 1920 x 1080p and I'm sitting about 3-4 feet away.

The text is too small.

After the second time he jumped out of the car, I just started leaving him behind...

Yeah, I finally realized that at the bottom of the Social Club's 100% Checklist there's a map that includes the Letter Scraps and Alien Space Ship Parts at the very least. You can click on "Not Found" on the right just above the map and it'll show you their locations all over the world. I recommend going after them, I found some cool secluded spots (that I'm sure help unlock the achievement for visiting everything) and I even stumbled across my second bail bond jumper (and accidentally brought him in alive!).

My favorite Space Ship piece so far is the one that has a group of people in lawn chairs sitting around it in a semi-circle just staring at it while it glows and pulses.

One of the other problems with this is that there's a story mission (trying not to spoil) where the crew evades the cops by going through the subway and sewer systems, which is misleading. Because when I tried the same thing off-mission, the cops could see me beneath street level.

And someone here mentioned that he drove under a mission icon and it triggered while he was in the subway. Did R* really expect that no one would explore underground until they'd finished all the missions? That seems rather short-sighted.

That's kind of fucked-up, sorry about that. Though, for the record, I would've laughed seeing Lamar fall to his death...

At any rate, since I was finding collectibles for a bit last night, a few of them are atop structures with ladders, so I was very careful. It turns out that you basically need to walk directly into the center of the ladder in order to trigger the animation of turning around and climbing down. If you walk up and your character's foot raises up and is on top of the handrail to the ladder, you will fall. Pull back and re-align yourself.

Which is great and all, but how is this going to affect me when I have to do this while being chased? Something tells me this really could've been tightened up...

Yeah, I dunno why they'd not give that option, particularly after being so proud of the graphics and the world they've built. You'd think they'd let you have full control of how you viewed it...

The only thing that works for me with driving is to hit the back button until the camera is as far away as possible from the car.

Coming from someone who's lived in California most of his life, I have to say that's actually rather accurate. Cops don't walk the streets here, they drive around in their prowlers or on motorcycles.

I see cop cars infrequently, but I do see them.

Hell, this morning, I was playing Michael and had to steal a car after he'd been left in the desert. As I approached a nearby freeway to cross it, from beneath an underpass, a cop car comes out pushing a station wagon up the freeway. I stop and watch.

It pushes the station wagon for about another 10 yards before the cop finally has had enough and gets out of his vehicle. The station wagon driver emerges and the two begin arguing verbally (very cool that they do this, by the way). Seconds later, two more cop cars arrive behind the driver and exit their vehicles as well.

The driver of the station wagon had not done anything that I could see, but these other two cops had itchy trigger fingers and opened fire on him anyway. The driver whipped out a gun and spun around to return fire only to be shot in the back and killed by the officer who had rammed his vehicle in the first place.

So the cops are still out there, and they still dispense some rough justice.
I've noticed about 3 different NPC scenes with the cops. The first 2 were chases in which one, they caused the guy to crash and took him out.
The second was similar except the guy actually skidded to a halt and he and his partner came out shooting in the street. The onlooking pedestrians reacting was pretty good.
The final one actually looked like a routine traffic stop! Passed 2 cops apparently giving someone a ticket or something. The little things like this that actually give the world a breathing ambiance is a key note.

They took a lot of good notes from Red Dead which didn't have the population parameters of GTA.

Very satisfied.

Content Contributor & Event Manager @ http://comicgamers.com/index.php
Flibbity Floid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:04 PM   #130
BiggD
On Hiatus

BiggDope's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Gold   Road Map - Gold   10,000 posts   Submit - Diamond   Micro Guide - Diamond   A+ Thread Award   CABS Beta Tester   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   Donator - Level 2   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Brown View Post
My only problem with the game is the story length. I've played about 25 hours with a LOT of exploring and messing about and I'm already about 45/69 missions. Considering how big the map is there doesn't seem to be much to the story, out of interest how many missions did IV and San Andreas have? They felt much more lengthy to me
There's 63 Hobbies & Pastimes to do, 58 Strangers & Freaks missions to complete and 46 Random Events to experience.

The Story itself may be short (it's really not)...but look at how much else there is to do...

PLUS, this is just the Single Player. GTA Online is going to have 500+ missions.

Last edited by BiggD; 09-19-2013 at 05:07 PM.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:08 PM   #131
Josh Brown

BrownyBaby7's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggD View Post
There's 63 Hobbies & Pastimes to take part in, 58 Strangers & Freaks missions to complete and 46 Random Events to experience.

The Story itself may be short (it's really not)...but look at how much else there is to do...

PLUS, this is just the Single Player. GTA Online is going to have 500+ missions.
Yeah I know but in comparison to San Andreas it just doesn't feel as much. There is a lot of other stuff to do though, just a shame they haven't made the most of the map with more missions dotted all over the map
Old 09-19-2013, 05:28 PM   #132
WalterWhite

Awards Showcase Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze   2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Quote:
You've spend 25 of the last 48 hours since the game released playing it, of course it feels short to you. There's plenty to see and do here, slow down and take it all in. If I spent 100 hours playing Skyrim over the course of four or five days I could say the same thing, it doesn't necessarily make it true. And if you have twenty five hours of game time there must still be a ton of things to see and do that you haven't done yet.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:09 PM   #133
Flibbity Floid

Quote:
You've spend 25 of the last 48 hours since the game released playing it, of course it feels short to you. There's plenty to see and do here, slow down and take it all in. If I spent 100 hours playing Skyrim over the course of four or five days I could say the same thing, it doesn't necessarily make it true. And if you have twenty five hours of game time there must still be a ton of things to see and do that you haven't done yet.
I was about to say. I've wanted to play this game non-stop but I've really only got about maybe 6 hours in and just acquired Trevor and I still feel like I've barely scratched the surface.

San Andreas had more...distractions than missions. Like being able to fatten/thin your character and weight training.

With the random encounters and sides in this game, I feel it's made a much more interactive improvement that isn't based off altering your appearance.

Old 09-19-2013, 06:12 PM   #134
Josh Brown

BrownyBaby7's Gamercard

Quote:
Chill man I'm not complaining about a lack of things to do I'm just saying there could be a lengthier story with more to it. That being said I haven't completed it yet like some people. I just remember San Andreas and the like taking AGES to complete is all
Old 09-19-2013, 06:25 PM   #135
Flibbity Floid

Quote:
Chill man I'm not complaining about a lack of things to do I'm just saying there could be a lengthier story with more to it. That being said I haven't completed it yet like some people. I just remember San Andreas and the like taking AGES to complete is all
I think that was their issue with 4 being it jumped around a lot. With 3 protagonists, it's much better to have a more focused/maintained narrative. I think the aspect of the Heists give it the extra "Umph" in contrast to other GTA's that honestly just had to you tedious Go From Point A to Point B missions to fill in the gaps of the few amazing missions.
I'm curious with where this one goes b/c what I loved about RDR was it's change of pace/in your face "ending" for John that you didn't see coming. At All.

The last few GTA's have honestly ended in a drawn out car chase and almost instant shootout.
I think it wouldn't matter how much they put in, I just think the formula is easy to adapt and fly through than the last entry is all.

Also, yes, San Andreas technically had 3 major parts being the LA (Los Santos), Las Vegas (Las Venturas) and San Francisco (San Fierro). This really only has the large portion of Los Santos and the Badlands.

Also, San Andreas was the first to feature most of the newer additions so they were definitely more ambitious with that title. I think now they focused more on quality over quantity

Old 09-19-2013, 06:26 PM   #136
WalterWhite

Awards Showcase Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze   2,500 Posts
Quote:
I'm not unchill, man. But the truth is it wouldn't matter how long of a game any developer released there will always be people who crack out on it in a week and finish it. You could make a thousand hour game and somebody would find a way to add hours to a day and finish it in a week. Now this next part isn't directed at you but more in general when people discuss games. People remember older games with a nostalgic fondness but if they actually replayed some of the games they think were bigger or better again now they'd realize that they probably aren't as long as they seemed at the time and that there's a whole bunch of pointless filler in them. San Andreas has you running around doing a lot of stupid things that weren't much fun.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:35 PM   #137
Spock

N7 Spock's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Over Achiever - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
Fuck, cops are annoying as fuck. I get to a place where I want to buy property finally and I accidentally pressed RT and punched someone. So of course cops get called and I have one star. I run away and stand behind some building for at least 3 minutes and the cops slowly come over and slowly, slowly step over to where I am and see me.

I get that it makes sense realistically speaking, but it's a fucking game and I want to move on with my life.

I like bitching threads.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:35 PM   #138
Flibbity Floid

Thumbs up Quote --->

Quote:
I'm not unchill, man. But the truth is it wouldn't matter how long of a game any developer released there will always be people who crack out on it in a week and finish it. You could make a thousand hour game and somebody would find a way to add hours to a day and finish it in a week. Now this next part isn't directed at you but more in general when people discuss games. People remember older games with a nostalgic fondness but if they actually replayed some of the games they think were bigger or better again now they'd realize that they probably aren't as long as they seemed at the time and that there's a whole bunch of pointless filler in them. San Andreas has you running around doing a lot of stupid things that weren't much fun.
It's all about narrative as well for me. A game could be 3 hours but if the story and plot are phenomenal, it's worth going through again.

RDR was a really lengthy game and everyone I knew mentioned the transition from Mexico back into the US was far too long. It wasn't bothersome but I can recall spending more time in that region than wanting. However, again, the journey to the end and the "end" were a massive payoff alone.

These characters are very engaging and this game is honestly becoming an amazing bastard child of what Kane & Lynch SHOULD'VE been and I have insane high hopes for the MP.

Btw, if there was a way to "Like" the quoted post, I would

Old 09-19-2013, 06:37 PM   #139
Flibbity Floid

Quote:
Fuck, cops are annoying as fuck. I get to a place where I want to buy property finally and I accidentally pressed RT and punched someone. So of course cops get called and I have one star. I run away and stand behind some building for at least 3 minutes and the cops slowly come over and slowly, slowly step over to where I am and see me.

I get that it makes sense realistically speaking, but it's a fucking game and I want to move on with my life.
LOL that last bit just made me laugh

You have to get the blue Line-Of-Sight off your mini-map at least if you want to hide out. I noticed it's a lot like if you commit a crime and hang around that general location, it's a "hot spot" and people will notice you and call it in. Not legit but logical. The few times I've had wanted, I zig zag up/down a few blocks til I can't see them on radar but can hear sirens and then I duck into shady spots. They're gone within 30 seconds from that.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:03 PM   #140
Spock

N7 Spock's Gamercard

Anyone do the side mission where you have to parachute onto a flat bed truck. I'm convinced it's fucking impossible and I don't want to listen to that douchebag say the same thing for the tenth time now. Why does the truck move fast then stop over and over and why doesn't it let me fucking land on the thing.

BOOM! FEAR COCKTAIL, WITH A TWIST. SHAKEN, NOT STIRRED. DRINK IT IIIIIIIIIIIIIN BIG GUY. LOOK WHO PUT ON HS BIG BOY PANTS THIS MORNING *annoying unknown squealing noise*

Seriously I get so close behind and the fucker just moves fucking forward and I miss the fucking thing. Fuck.

I like bitching threads.

Last edited by Spock; 09-19-2013 at 07:07 PM.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:07 PM   #141
Flibbity Floid

Quote:
Anyone do the side mission where you have to parachute onto a flat bed truck. I'm convinced it's fucking impossible and I don't want to listen to that douchebag say the same thing for the tenth time now. Why does the truck move fast then stop over and over and why doesn't it let me fucking land on the thing.

BOOM! FEAR COCKTAIL, WITH A TWIST. SHAKEN, NOT STIRRED. DRINK IT IIIIIIIIIIIIIN BIG GUY.

Seriously I get so close behind and the fucker just moves fucking forward and I miss the fucking thing. Fuck.
This makes me think to the mission that introduces Franklin to the races. I couldn't win for the friggin life of me! Every time I'd "overuse" the Slo-Mo Driving, when I came out of it, I was in like super-high gear and would crash/kill myself from the velocity.

Sadly, trial and error over many tries has always been a part of GTA for me

Old 09-19-2013, 07:08 PM   #142
Spock

N7 Spock's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flibbity Floid View Post
This makes me think to the mission that introduces Franklin to the races. I couldn't win for the friggin life of me! Every time I'd "overuse" the Slo-Mo Driving, when I came out of it, I was in like super-high gear and would crash/kill myself from the velocity.

Sadly, trial and error over many tries has always been a part of GTA for me
lol, I did the exact same thing during that mission.

I like bitching threads.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:17 PM   #143
Flibbity Floid

Quote:
lol, I did the exact same thing during that mission.
Holy bologna! I can't tell you how many tries it took for that first sharp left that veers right into a narrow right! So many windshields flown through lol

I did however have one death that made me laugh out loud. During the boat chase, Franklin is on the hood of the car and one on the right slams into me, causing me to accelerate and bash into the boat, Franklin flies off, I lose traction and start barrel rolling (this is all in a matter of a couple seconds) and pretty much "rolled over" Franklin with the whole car. It was a nightmare but hilarious!

Old 09-19-2013, 07:25 PM   #144
Jack Frost

MEETSP1NNER's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Silver   Staff Club - rekikire   Knife in the Dark Challenge Club - Tier 1   Artist of the Month   Community Gaming - Bronze   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 2   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 1   Micro Guide - Bronze   Over Achiever - Silver   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 10 (more» ...)
Quote:
Considering how big the map is there doesn't seem to be much to the story, out of interest how many missions did IV and San Andreas have? They felt much more lengthy to me
GTAIV has 88 fucking story missions and is too goddamned long (technically 90 as two of the last 3 missions are different depending on the ending you choose). I got so bored with the story I stopped caring about/watching cutscenes. Ended up getting Liberty City Minute without really trying...

Red Dead Redemption, as usual, had it just right, 57 missions and 18 Stranger side-missons and each of them extremely interesting and varied. In fact, I just recently played the Hardcore mode for my fifth overall playthrough and I still watched all the cutscenes...

So, right now at least when I'm 30% into GATV, I think it's shaping up nicely as far as how long it is. Now the fact that the story is doing little to impress me is kind of a problem, but we'll see where it goes...
Old 09-19-2013, 07:30 PM   #145
Flibbity Floid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Frost View Post
GTAIV has 88 fucking story missions and is too goddamned long (technically 90 as two of the last 3 missions are different depending on the ending you choose). I got so bored with the story I stopped caring about/watching cutscenes. Ended up getting Liberty City Minute without really trying...

Red Dead Redemption, as usual, had it just right, 57 missions and 18 Stranger side-missons and each of them extremely interesting and varied. In fact, I just recently played the Hardcore mode for my fifth overall playthrough and I still watched all the cutscenes...

So, right now at least when I'm 30% into GATV, I think it's shaping up nicely as far as how long it is. Now the fact that the story is doing little to impress me is kind of a problem, but we'll see where it goes...
It's also about casting. The only character I actually can say fully enjoyed from GTA4 was Roman. Niko was too half in/half out and I just wasn't digging the eastern-european shtick.

Red Dead had an amazing cadre of characters! John for one was extremely appealing and all of his encounters vs the environment were extremely innovative. You could tell they took a lot of hints from RDR to this.

I'm loving that the story at least feels consistent and the characters are all engaging. The opening mission is a far cry from the "Heres the new guy to GTA! Let's start from scratch!". These guys are at least hardened from a time before and as mentioned, the opening mission takes a nice jump compared to a tour around town.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:41 PM   #146
BiggD
On Hiatus

BiggDope's Gamercard

Quote:
I'm l/snip
LOL! John & Abigail were the ONLY likable characters in Red Dead. Too bad 85% of the script was fucking boring as hell. Good game, I just didn't like it.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:42 PM   #147
VonThronstahl

Throni360's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Gold   Road Map - Gold   Submit - Silver   Arcade Crazy - Silver   Over Achiever - Silver
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
How come Trevor is ALWAYS busy? Can't meet up with both friends at the same time! I switch to Trevor and he is doing nothing.
Bejeweled Live, Crash Time 4: The Syndicate & 5: Undercover, Cro-Mag Rally, Centipede, Hunter's Trophy 2: America & Australia, SEGA Rally Online Arcade, Toy Soldiers: Boot Camp and Victorious: Time to Shine.
VonThronstahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:49 PM   #148
Flibbity Floid

Quote:
LOL! John & Abigail were the ONLY likable characters in Red Dead. Too bad 85% of the script was fucking boring as hell. Good game, I just didn't like it.
I loved Irish and Langdon. They just hit that Western motif perfectly to me. I dug Abigail but wasn't enough of her involvement. Her "attack" is pretty messed up though. Was even surprised R* went that route. I just thought it was a massive success being almost NOBODY touched the "Old West" genre aside from Red Dead Revolver and Gun for the noticeable titles.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:58 PM   #149
BiggD
On Hiatus

BiggDope's Gamercard

Quote:
I loved Irish and Langdon. They just hit that Western motif perfectly to me. I dug Abigail but wasn't enough of her involvement. Her "attack" is pretty messed up though. Was even surprised R* went that route. I just thought it was a massive success being almost NOBODY touched the "Old West" genre aside from Red Dead Revolver and Gun for the noticeable titles.
I can understand this. I'm just not much of a fan for Westerns so that's why I didn't enjoy it. I mean...the whole Mexico segment of the game KILLED ME, I fell asleep 4 times during cutscenes in that part of the game

Old 09-19-2013, 08:01 PM   #150
Flibbity Floid

Quote:
I can understand this. I'm just not much of a fan for Westerns so that's why I didn't enjoy it. I mean...the whole Mexico segment of the game KILLED ME, I fell asleep 4 times during cutscenes in that part of the game
LMAO! Honestly dude, neither am I. I do like ambitious risks done right though and in comparison, this impressed me.

Much like the new Trek. I am a line-drawing Wars over Trek fan. However, Abrams actually made me enjoy, like and CARE about the franchise (granted where it's going, not where it was) but I actually gave the old flicks a shot. They were crap but being I was still interested to follow the new franchise, that's a high mark for Trek from me. Both movies were absolutely amazing from start to finish.
But I do agree that Mexico dragged on way longer than it should and the "epilogue" almost ruined that amazing face-melting "end"