PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Action > Grand Theft Auto V
Subscribe    Donate

Old 09-17-2013, 10:50 AM   #1
Dragon CQC

Dragon CQC's Gamercard
Post **Los Santos Gun Club Challenges**

Thought I'd hash this out because I haven't seen a guide for this anywhere, but I have been seeing topics around other boards and forums asking for help with this particular topic.

GTAV is huge, we all know this by now. I am choosing to focus on one item that will undoubtedly help in the progress of the game.

Completing the Gun Club Challenges up to Gold will get you a permanent 25% discount on ALL products at ALL AmmuNation stores.

*(Not sure if this applies to clothing)

It only takes 30-odd minutes to complete and it unlocks various firearms for you to try out on the range. Note: Weapons that are unlocked on the Range do not carry over to the store for purchase - You must progress through the single-player game for them to unlock, then purchase them at AmmuNation.

The city of Los Santos has two gun ranges, located adjacent to two AmmuNation stores: One in Pillbox Hill, one in Cypress Flats.

The Pillbox Hill gun range is to the North of Franklin's house. The Cypress Flats range is South-East of Franklin's house.

Approach the shooting range doors, and press to pay the entry fee. Gun ranges cost $14 to enter, but the ammunition is free and unlimited for whatever gun challenge you want to try.

Gun challenges require you to hit a target accurately in order to score points. If you consistently hit targets, you build up a Score Multiplier. Certain conditions allow for you to make a mistake before the multiplier resets, such as for Assault Rifles, which allow you to miss 1 target before it resets.

Scoring consists of hitting a circular target in 1 of 4 areas. These areas are indicated by a colored circle. You must accurately hit one of these target areas to score points. Points and colors are as follows:

Black: +10
Blue: +25
Red: +50
Yellow: +100

Multipliers increase these scores by up to 3x on a max multiplier. This means that consistently hitting the center of a target on a 3x multiplier will rack up +300 points per hit. With the many high rate-of-fire weapons, this means racking up points, fast.

The challenges are 3-stage and have 3 target scores. Challenges consist of shooting stationary targets or shooting moving targets. Certain conditions apply to certain weapon challenges, as detailed below.

To unlock more weapons in the same category, you must score AT LEAST Bronze on one or two challenges in the weapon category. This means that you start off with the standard pistol, score two bronze scores on two challenges, unlocking you the Combat Pistol. I'm not sure what all the criteria are as current, but each weapon has unlocking criteria, as detailed in the game.

Note that the Heavy weapon category can only be unlocked after getting at least Bronze on ALL challenges.

It should be worth noting that any current upgrades you have applied to the weapons -usually- apply to the same weapon you use. I say usually, because my shotgun lights would not work., yet my rifles all had their altered paint schemes and grips.

Author's notes:

These are all fairly easy if you're used to the shooting mechanics. You can try any of the 3 aiming playstyles and see what suits you. The auto-snap target acquisition is not very prevalent, if it is even on at all. I didn't find it helpful, if it was.

The hardest Pistol Challenge is the third one..

This is seriously annoying, and took me something like 8 tries, whereas every other challenge took me 1-2.

TL;DR: Use the AP Pistol, aim at the yellow center of the target and move your character left/right with the target. If you get the timing right, the target reticule will never stray from the yellow dot while you move and you can hit it with a full magazine from the AP-P, giving you several thousand points each rotation. Reload if you don't have a full magazine, repeat the process. I can usually get 12000-15000 each try.

If you get really stuck, try progressing through the game, acquiring the AP-Pistol and buying the magazine upgrade for it.

"Targets exit automatically" usually means you can continually hit a target so long as you have ammo, or that target is not exiting the field.

The minigun challenge was also annoying at first, until you realize that it's not about ACCURACY but HIT FREQUENCY that keeps the multiplier going up/staying up. Seriously, let rip with that thing and swing it back and forth - your multiplier will fly up and never go down. A few tries on each of these challenges and you'll have Gold on it in no time.

I was going to put up the point requirements but there's no point, as they're all clearly displayed in the challenge menu.

Any hints or tips, throw them out here for others to see, aye?
Dragon CQC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:52 PM   #2
JuSt BLaZe

BLAZE VII's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Diamond   5,000 Posts   Over Achiever - Gold   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
http://segmentnext.com/2013/09/17/gt...llenges-guide/

So far I've all GOLD for Handguns/ Submachine Guns/ Aussault Rifles / Shotguns and Heavy.

I'm having trouble with the Light Machine Guns, using the Combat MG:

Challenge 2 - only getting 31k, 40.000 required for Gold.
Challenge 3 - only getting 24k, 32.000 required for Gold.

Any tips!?

Last edited by JuSt BLaZe; 09-17-2013 at 06:12 PM.
JuSt BLaZe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:31 PM   #3
TwoSpade

TwoSpade's Gamercard
I have done all of the challenges but I am also having trouble getting gold with the LMG Challenge 2. Closest I have gotten is a little over 30k. If anyone knows the secret, let me know.

JuSt BLaZe, the "secret" to beating Challenge 3 is don't focus on shooting three targets lined up, focus on shooting two of them in one row than switch to the other. The problem is, you don't have enough time to destroy all three targets before another one spawns, and when the target flips down, the post that holds the target blocks some of your shots for the third target and screws up your multiplier.

Shoot two in one row then switch to the other row and shoot the two in that row and then switch back and repeat. That's how I got it for Challenge 3.
TwoSpade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:51 PM   #4
TwoSpade

TwoSpade's Gamercard
One guy posted how he did LMG's here:
TwoSpade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:54 PM   #5
JuSt BLaZe

BLAZE VII's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Diamond   5,000 Posts   Over Achiever - Gold   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoSpade View Post
JuSt BLaZe, the "secret" to beating Challenge 3 is don't focus on shooting three targets lined up, focus on shooting two of them in one row than switch to the other. The problem is, you don't have enough time to destroy all three targets before another one spawns, and when the target flips down, the post that holds the target blocks some of your shots for the third target and screws up your multiplier.

Shoot two in one row then switch to the other row and shoot the two in that row and then switch back and repeat. That's how I got it for Challenge 3.
Thank you man, really appreciate it. Will give it another try. Yeah challenge two really sucks big time I tried everything with those two MGs but only get like 32k.

Here comes another downside, you think you got them all gold but as soon as you switch characters you have to do them all over again to get gold with that character too, only logical for the STATS but I think it's just annoying!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoSpade View Post
One guy posted how he did LMG's here:
Hmmm great he is using the method I tried but didn't get gold. Seems like this is the way to go. Cheers for the video!

Last edited by JuSt BLaZe; 09-18-2013 at 03:57 PM.
JuSt BLaZe is offline   Reply With Quote