PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Action > Grand Theft Auto V
Subscribe    Donate

Old 09-18-2013, 03:32 AM   #1
Goku1552

Goku1552's Gamercard
too DAMN small.

ok is it just me (and my 20" tube tv) or is the text too damn small? i have to lean in and squint to make out what anything says.

and im not getting a new tv so dont post that crap.
Goku1552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:33 AM   #2
xhunterrrr

Hunter XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Micro Guide - Bronze   XBA Representer   Road Map - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Bronze   5,000 Posts   x360a Representer
Total Awards: 6 (more» ...)
The text is for HDTVs, so it'll look like crap on non-HDTVs. Even a 20" HDTV would make it readable.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:35 AM   #3
Veedrock

Veedrock's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Micro Guide - Bronze   Genre Competition - First Place   2,500 Posts   Donator - Level 1   XBA Promoter
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goku1552 View Post
and im not getting a new tv so dont post that crap.
Then what do you want us to post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creech View Post
As a site, we don't support calling it "xbone" as that was a name that was used to refer to the system in a negative light. Since the site exists to support the system, being deliberately negative towards it seems counter productive.

tl;dr - Call it the Xbox One or X1.
Veedrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:46 AM   #4
xdr

Senki Dala's Gamercard
Well, if you don't wanna change your TV... Yes, what do you want us to say? There is no way to make the text bigger... And yes, why not changing TV? If you an afford buy games, you probably can afford a HDTV, even a small one, if you save a little bit money. Your 360 diserves it, games are made for HDTV now.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:46 AM   #5
WalterWhite

Awards Showcase The Mighty Duck Face   5,000 Posts   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
This should have gone in the bitching thread but since I just jumped on to bitch even more about the same problem, I'll play ball.

I'm having problems seeing things on screen with this game on a level I have never had in a game before. I'm on a 42 inch screen TV and I have to get up and walk over to the TV everytime I get a text in game. It's a serious problem. The shit is way too fucking small, I don't know what they were thinking. The on screen phone is about actual size to a real iPhone, it's basically the same thing as trying to read a text message on your cell phone from across the room.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:06 AM   #6
xhunterrrr

Hunter XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Micro Guide - Bronze   XBA Representer   Road Map - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Bronze   5,000 Posts   x360a Representer
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterWhite View Post
This should have gone in the bitching thread but since I just jumped on to bitch even more about the same problem, I'll play ball.

I'm having problems seeing things on screen with this game on a level I have never had in a game before. I'm on a 42 inch screen TV and I have to get up and walk over to the TV everytime I get a text in game. It's a serious problem. The shit is way too fucking small, I don't know what they were thinking. The on screen phone is about actual size to a real iPhone, it's basically the same thing as trying to read a text message on your cell phone from across the room.
I'm using a 42" TV and can read everything just fine. Maybe you should have your eyes checked.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:07 AM   #7
WalterWhite

Awards Showcase The Mighty Duck Face   5,000 Posts   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhunterrrr View Post
I'm using a 42" TV and can read everything just fine. Maybe you should have your eyes checked.
Nah man, my eyes are fine. Maybe I should go buy a bigger TV. Or move the TV into a smaller room, that'd probably be more economical.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:58 AM   #8
atryeu

Hmm, this strays a bit outside of this game (I don't get to get a copy of the game until hopefully Christmas), but could this be the problem with most other games? I just finished Deus Ex and OMG I couldn't read anything! I have a 22" Standard Def TV and I'm actually less than 5 feet from the tv playing games and watching things due to the size of my room. Upgrading the tv isn't an option for me with no income (no, I'm not the one that buys the games so I can't just "save up" for one -_-). I've seen several other games of mine with text near impossible to read too.

I'm curious, why would text size make a difference with standard & HD tvs?

Last Game Completed 100%: Assassin's Creed: Rogue

atryeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:18 AM   #9
themishkin

DutchRudder2007's Gamercard
Stop being poor and the problem will fix itself.

:P
Old 09-18-2013, 05:25 AM   #10
atryeu

:P Not everybody has the means to earn good money or even get a job :P I'd die from my asthma if I tried to walk over 20 miles to town LoL I guess I could always attempt to drive my little firebird in 3 feet of snow this winter without a license or insurance to find work though :P

Old 09-18-2013, 05:36 AM   #11
plum

Agree words on screen are very hard to read and I have perfect eye site and a 42inch tv. And no way will I be like other people I know and sit with my eyes clues to it f that.
plum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:52 AM   #12
eiVaL

Y0 MAC's Gamercard
change your xbox output to 720p

i did that for GTA 4 as well, it'll make everything larger the mini-map everything, i need to change that as well, its not impossible to read but it does strain the eye trying to focus on it

eiVaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:38 AM   #13
DarkCrown

DarkCrown JGT's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by atryeu View Post

I'm curious, why would text size make a difference with standard & HD tvs?

Because of the resolution...... a standard tv is like 640X480 and an most of the hdtv now are 1920X
1080 or even more if you own a 4k tv
to the years 2000 :P
Old 09-18-2013, 06:42 AM   #14
Barad
Maximum Club's Warrior

Barad XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Emerald   Road Map - Emerald   Micro Guide - Gold   Submit - Diamond   Staff - Maximum Clubs Director   Community Gaming - Diamond   Xbox One Maximum Clubs Novice   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   VGO Team Award - Bronze   GRID 2 Award   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer
Total Awards: 25 (more» ...)
The text is a little too small on this game. I'm playing on a 24" HD TV and I can read the text fine. You said not to mention a new TV..
Barad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:33 AM   #15
Derpityderpdurp

DERPITYDERPDURP's Gamercard
Get some glasses? I'm on a 22 inch HDTV and I can read all the text fine never had a problem reading anything y'all must have bad eyes.
Derpityderpdurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:35 AM   #16
Rickmassacre

Rickmassacre's Gamercard
Text appears fine for me with a 32" LED HDTV
should either
A) Get a bigger tv
B) Sit closer
C) Go to specsavers
D) keep crying on forums
Old 09-18-2013, 07:41 AM   #17
WalterWhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by themishkin View Post
Stop being poor and the problem will fix itself.

:P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derpityderpdurp View Post
Get some glasses? I'm on a 22 inch HDTV and I can read all the text fine never had a problem reading anything y'all must have bad eyes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickmassacre View Post
Text appears fine for me with a 32" LED HDTV
should either
A) Get a bigger tv
B) Sit closer
C) Go to specsavers
D) keep crying on forums
The three of you jackasses should get together and play Russian Roulette. I'm totally serious.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:58 AM   #18
Rickmassacre

Rickmassacre's Gamercard
Quote:
The three of you jackasses should get together and play Russian Roulette. I'm totally serious.
for telling the truth?
nothing else is going to help Is it.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:30 AM   #19
AmbaLaBamba

AmbaLaBamba's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Road Map - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   Over Achiever - Bronze   1,000 Posts   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Gamer Chick!
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhunterrrr View Post
Quote:
Nah man, my eyes are fine. Maybe I should go buy a bigger TV. Or move the TV into a smaller room, that'd probably be more economical.
I'm having the same problem also on a 42" TV, I have to lean forward near enough for every text or email I receive and I have perfect vision.

The text does look stupidly small IMO...

[ PSNP / TrueTrophies / TrueAchievements]
Blank friend requests are deleted.

AmbaLaBamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:52 AM   #20
Nitnoid

haZZmaTTaZZ's Gamercard

This was the biggest complaint I had after playing a couple of hours. The text appears too small. I have a 50" Samsung DLP and I run it at 720p for the xbox. I sit about 10' away from the TV and have to move about halfway closer to read anything that comes up.

I also have a PC hooked up to this TV and have the same problem there. But then, PC on-screen text was designed to look good on a small monitor that sits, usually, no further than 2 feet away. It feels like this game was designed for such a minimal intrusion on the screen that it was probably developed on a PC? Or they sat 2 feet away?

Either way, text font size should be adjustable. All you naysayers out there probably sit with your face inches from the screen. I guess you'll be telling me that I should get a TV bigger than my 50"?
Nitnoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:17 AM   #21
xxJUSTINxx

OddFull Metal's Gamercard

The crosshair is too damn small for me. lol Can barely see that tiny little white spec when aiming.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:22 AM   #22
JuSt BLaZe

BLAZE VII's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Xbox One Maximum Clubs Novice   Submit - Diamond   5,000 Posts   Over Achiever - Gold   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
Yeah I have to agree here, they still didn't manage to get the text bigger, ever since GTAIV or other R* games. What I found more annoying is sometimes during driving or whatsoever a tutorial or info text comes up and the next second it's gone like you suppose to read that within 1 second. The text had like 3-4 sentences. DAFUUUQ is wrong with them!

100% > Resident Evil - Remake Remastered (XboxOne & Playstation4)
100% > Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (Xbox360 & XboxOne)
100% > Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition (Xbox360 & XboxOne)

-[RESIDENTEVIL]-
JuSt BLaZe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:26 AM   #23
H2O

KingStarry's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitnoid View Post
Either way, text font size should be adjustable.
I do mostly agree with this, however!

I do need new glasses, i know that & i just haven't got around to having an eye test yet.

I also have a PC hooked up to the 37" TV i use for my Xbox.

General text on the PC is tricky to read for me unless i lean forward slightly in my chair, GTA5 text is easier to read but not by much.

So, i do think the font should be a little bigger as it's close the edge of tolerable but you shouldn't be having the issues you seem to be having unless at least one of the following is true.

1: you sit to far away from the TV for it's given size.

2: your TV is not HD.

3: Your settings are wrong somewhere.

4: your eyesight isn't as good as you think it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxJUSTINxx View Post
The crosshair is too damn small for me. lol Can barely see that tiny little white spec when aiming.
I find this a bigger problem than the text size by far.

Last edited by H2O; 09-18-2013 at 09:28 AM.
H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:54 AM   #24
Rusty Knight 07

Rusty Knight 07's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post

I do need new glasses, i know that & i just haven't got around to having an eye test yet.

So, i do think the font should be a little bigger as it's close the edge of tolerable but you shouldn't be having the issues you seem to be having unless at least one of the following is true.

I've missed loads of information because the text is too small and because it doesn't stay on the screen long enough to move forward and read.

My eyesight is okay, my TV is HD, my Xbox is set to 1080p which is what my TV needs. I am also sitting the correct distance from the TV for its size - viewing distance divided by 3 to determines the minimum size screen in inches.
Rusty Knight 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:58 AM   #25
Cyano Khaar

cyano khaar's Gamercard
I usually just lurk around the forums, but I think I'll throw my 2 cents out there.

As someone who started off with his 360 in 2007 on an old SD TV and over the years moved up to a 50 inch TV less than 5 feet away from me, I agree that the text is pretty damn small. I used to have issues seeing some things on screen a few months ago but I got some eye glasses and now everything is much better (so it's not my eyesight). It just happens to be particularly small text (especially when compared to other HD games) for some reason.

It isn't unbearable, but I could see how it would be a massive issue on an SDTV. It would probably even be an issue if you had a smaller HD display and sat too far away from it.

As for the OP. Back before I could afford an HD display, I just hooked up my 360 to my computer monitor using a VGA cable and sat at my desk to play. That was good enough till I could afford something larger and more permanent.

Anyways, hope you can figure out a solution.
Cyano Khaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:05 AM   #26
xxJUSTINxx

OddFull Metal's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Knight 07 View Post
I've missed loads of information because the text is too small and because it doesn't stay on the screen long enough to move forward and read.

My eyesight is okay, my TV is HD, my Xbox is set to 1080p which is what my TV needs. I am also sitting the correct distance from the TV for its size - viewing distance divided by 3 to determines the minimum size screen in inches.
You can check all the missed text in the menu screen. It shows whats popped up, what you've last leveled up and what people were talking about. Just check around in the menu for it. I'm not on it right now so I forget what it was under.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post

I also have a PC hooked up to the 37" TV i use for my Xbox.

General text on the PC is tricky to read for me unless i lean forward slightly in my chair, GTA5 text is easier to read but not by much.

Tell me about it, it makes shooting from a vehicle hard as hell and the shooting range as I don't know what I'm aiming at half the time, I always have to move around a lot till I notice that pin sized white dot. But I guess changing the aiming to complex makes it a tiny bit better, from what I've read.

Last edited by xxJUSTINxx; 09-18-2013 at 10:09 AM.
xxJUSTINxx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:43 PM   #27
atryeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCrown View Post

Because of the resolution...... a standard tv is like 640X480 and an most of the hdtv now are 1920X
1080 or even more if you own a 4k tv
to the years 2000 :P
LoL Of course... should have known resolution :P Either way it still seems very odd that the text size is so horribly small on just certain games. Why can't they keep them universal? -_- It's awful going from a game I can read everything perfectly fine on and then suddenly have one I have to strain my eyes to read from less than 5 feet away (and yeah, I have perfect eyesight and don't need glasses or anything).

Old 09-18-2013, 06:16 PM   #28
I X I Shock I

I X I Shock I's Gamercard
Wow lotta hate in this thread. I have no issues with subtitles, will agree with text messages are a bit on the small side. I can read them across the room, but it takes a hit longer to actually make it out. I play on a 40" TV, and sit across the room (maybe 10'-12' away)

Gamerscore:
25000 ~ 'Principessa in Another Castello', Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, 02/13/11
50000 ~
'One of the Bros', FIFA 13, 11/6/12
75000 ~
'My Generation', Titanfall, 03/29/14
I X I Shock I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:18 PM   #29
WalterWhite

The reticle issue is easily remedied by changing the setting to Complex in the menu. Maybe they'll put out a DLC called Readable In-Game Fonts. I'll gladly buy it.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:20 PM   #30
Slow2die

Send a message via Skype™ to Slow2die

Slow2die's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1
32 inch Samsung HDTV works just fine. No issues with the text. You can pick up a 22" HDTV for like £100 these days online or get lucky with an eBay auction. Try it!