PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Action > Grand Theft Auto V
Subscribe    Donate

Old 09-23-2013, 02:20 AM   #1
Acejunky

Character of The Year

Well I think Trevor should get coty he is so well written and we will probably wont find out til the next video game awards or the end of the year. What your thoughts on this
Acejunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:33 AM   #2
BiggD
16 Days Until Halo 2

BiggDope's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Xbox One Maximum Clubs Novice   Community Gaming - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Gold   Road Map - Gold   10,000 posts   Submit - Diamond   Micro Guide - Diamond   A+ Thread Award   CABS Beta Tester   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   Donator - Level 2   VGO Bronze Medal
Total Awards: 17 (more» ...)
I would disagree.

He's funny, well written and different from what we see in video games...but I genuinely think Elizabeth from BioShock Infinite is "COTY." She has A LOT more depth than Trevor Philips, I'm afraid, and Courtnee Draper's performance is untouchable in that game.

EDIT: The VGA's are in Decemeber, so it's not really that far away to see all the nice awards.

Thanks to Xerofox for the romantically rambunctious signature!

Currently Playing: The Waiting Game...
~ 16 DAYS ~

Last edited by BiggD; 09-23-2013 at 02:43 AM.
BiggD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:41 AM   #3
Lavindathar

Send a message via Skype™ to Lavindathar

Lavindathar's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Gotta Go Fast! Franchise Club - Tier 1   Community Gaming - Gold   Micro Guide - Gold   Xbox One Maximum Clubs Apprentice   Off to the Races Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - troy0891   Free Agents - Third Place   Over Achiever - Gold   The Sports Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - Cilisien   GRID 2 Award   5,000 Posts
Total Awards: 31 (more» ...)
I'd agree that Trevor is an excellent candidate. So is Elizabeth, but I'd give Trevor the nod out of those two.

Trevor is brilliant in every way, perfectly written.
Last Achievement : Repaid In Blood - Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor (Xbox One) - 10g
Last 100% Completion : FIFA '15 (1000g) (Xbox One)

Thanks to Rajeanero for the avatar and Audilicious for the sig.
Lavindathar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:43 AM   #4
BiggD
16 Days Until Halo 2

BiggDope's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Xbox One Maximum Clubs Novice   Community Gaming - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Gold   Road Map - Gold   10,000 posts   Submit - Diamond   Micro Guide - Diamond   A+ Thread Award   CABS Beta Tester   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   Donator - Level 2   VGO Bronze Medal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavindathar View Post
I'd agree that Trevor is an excellent candidate. So is Elizabeth, but I'd give Trevor the nod out of those two.

Trevor is brilliant in every way, perfectly written.
Sigh. I highly, highly, highly disagree with this. "Perfectly" written? Not a chance.

But hey, everyone's got an opinion.

~ 16 DAYS ~
Old 09-23-2013, 03:38 AM   #5
Moryii

Moryii's Gamercard
As much as I love Trevor, Elizabeth wins. Her character is more fleshed out, she's emotional in her VA, she's incredibly helpful as an ally instead of most "hold your hand type allies". List goes on and on.

Trevor is just a psychopath.
Moryii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:44 AM   #6
eiVaL

Y0 MAC's Gamercard
Trevor's antics are overblown, hes actually got alot of logic and intelligence behind his actions and isnt just this "crazy off the wall guy" the reviewers and media try to paint him as, with yet another thread on GAF about the tourture scene, yet completely avoid the entire speech he gives as you're driving the guy back and he's actually talking about how stupid torture is in real life...but that goes over people's heads looking for headlines. and hes got alot of those moments throughout the game, which i love, but in earlier GTA games he wouldnt have that aspect and just be a litteral "crazy off the wall guy"

but still, ive liked Micheal's performance the best, very believable, the voice acting and facial movements are awesome, its no surprise the guy who did him and probably did the face capture, Ned Luke is a pretty accomplished actor according to his IMDB.

overall this entire game has easily the best voice acting of any Rockstar game with Red Dead a very close second, as big as the cast from the PS2 era were, they were still going for over the top acting and performances and jokes.

even in IV which was playing off the accents and way Roman and Niko couldnt speak or understand english that well, so we're supposed to laugh at when Jacob's heavy Jamaican accent and the subtitles are gibberish type stuff, 5 so far has been lot less forced humor and focus on realistic voice acting and plot lines and intelligent writing.
eiVaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:46 AM   #7
Lavindathar

Lavindathar's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Gotta Go Fast! Franchise Club - Tier 1   Community Gaming - Gold   Micro Guide - Gold   Xbox One Maximum Clubs Apprentice   Off to the Races Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - troy0891   Free Agents - Third Place   Over Achiever - Gold   The Sports Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - Cilisien   GRID 2 Award   5,000 Posts
To both Bigg and Moryii...

Yup, everyone else has an opinion. I've seen a lot of hate for Trevor, and I think that's because people can't relate to him more therefore not appreciating him.....

And I also think it's far harder to write for 'just a psycho' than it is most other characters

I think Trevor's story, his mannerisms, his speech, are all bob on. The way he shifts from bonkers to perfectly reasonable within a sentence...the way hes actually the most intelligent of all e charvaters by far....it all adds up for me.

Elizabeth was a eat character, but I think I appreciate Trevor more.

Or maybe, because I've not played infinite since release, I can't remember e finer points of Elizabeth's beauty. But I d think, Elizabeth gets so much credit because of how good infinite is in general.
Last Achievement : Repaid In Blood - Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor (Xbox One) - 10g

Last edited by Lavindathar; 09-23-2013 at 04:00 AM.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:56 AM   #8
ponypo2001

ponypo2001's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Silver   1,000 Posts   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Road Map - Bronze
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
I think Trevor and Elizabeth should go out for dinner one night. Can you imagine the conversation?

"I robbed a bank today and caved a biker's skull in. What did you do today girly?"

"Me? Oh, the usual. I rode the skyhook express, got the tip of my finger ripped off then went for a flight on a giant mechanical bird."

ponypo2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:25 AM   #9
iBuzz7S

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   Submit - Bronze   Donator - Level 2
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggD View Post
Sigh. I highly, highly, highly disagree with this. "Perfectly" written? Not a chance.

But hey, everyone's got an opinion.
Just like X360A giving both Bioshock Infinite and GTA V a perfect score.

I've only done one mission with him, played some tennis and golf too. Far more entertaining than Michael and Franklin. Can't imagine what other shit gets said as you progress through the game.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:37 AM   #10
CrAzYnEsS

I haven't played The Last Of Us, but I watched an entire playthrough. I think Ellie is the top seed. Then Elizabeth from Bioshock infinite.

I understand the character Trevor and don't hate him anymore, but Ellie from The Last Of Us is a way more powerful character. Definitely the COTY favorite.

Cheating doesn't qualify as skills, its just a poor
attempt for a newb to be a pro.

BTW-I kno some of the spelling on my posts, is incorrect, but im just too lazy to fix it srry. Also if n e of my posts have offended n e 1 in n e way, i apologize. PEACE
CrAzYnEsS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:58 AM   #11
Crimson Ridley

Awards Showcase Staff Club - DEG23   Over Achiever - Platinum   Staff Club - dakisbac   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Referrals - Bronze   5,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1   Word of Mouth
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYnEsS View Post
I haven't played The Last Of Us, but I watched an entire playthrough. I think Ellie is the top seed. Then Elizabeth from Bioshock infinite.

I understand the character Trevor and don't hate him anymore, but Ellie from The Last Of Us is a way more powerful character. Definitely the COTY favorite.
I was wondering when someone would mention The Last of Us. Ellie was perfectly written. The writers really managed to create a real connection with a teenage girl that has seen far too much destruction in her life. While Elizabeth was a great character, and the way she was written was brilliant, I didn't feel too much of a connection with her. She was captivated and mesmerised by her surroundings the same as the player, but there wasn't enough interaction with her to truly feel like I needed to protect her.

With Ellie, you learn a lot about her, her past and how she is coping with life outside the walls. Her interactions with Joel cause him and the player to admire her and want to keep her safe. You watch as she grows as a person, becoming a woman long before any child should need to when she finds herself having to protect her protector.

The characters in GTA V are very well written, as Rockstar has always been capable of, but they aren't on the same level as The Last of Us or Bioshock Infinite.

If I had to pick a least favourite character in the game, it would definitely be Franklin. He has his moments, but for the most part he's quite whiny and has a rather holier-than-thou attitude when it comes to his supposed friends, making him seem very arrogant. CJ had bigger ideas than the hood, and went a similar way to Franklin when he got out of it and made a lot of money in Las Venturas, but he eventually realised the hood is where his heart is.
Franklin just seems like he despises his current life, his friends and his family and just wants to get out. He's a pretty weak character as far as the game goes.

Still, he's not as weak as Jack Marston who is a whiny kid then he grows up and his whole purpose is revenge, with no character development at all.

Many thanks to Cpt Slaugh7er (xboxachievements.com) for the signature!

My xba account: Crimson Ridley
My PSN account: CrimsonRidley

R.I.P. to the most wonderful person to have ever lived; my Nanna. 03/11/1932 - 06/10/2013. You will be forever remembered, and forever missed. I love you so much.
Crimson Ridley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:44 AM   #12
The Duke of Darkness

The Allslayer's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Xbox One Maximum Clubs Novice   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eiVaL View Post
Trevor's antics are overblown, hes actually got alot of logic and intelligence behind his actions and isnt just this "crazy off the wall guy" the reviewers and media try to paint him as, with yet another thread on GAF about the tourture scene, yet completely avoid the entire speech he gives as you're driving the guy back and he's actually talking about how stupid torture is in real life...but that goes over people's heads looking for headlines. and hes got alot of those moments throughout the game, which i love, but in earlier GTA games he wouldnt have that aspect and just be a litteral "crazy off the wall guy"

but still, ive liked Micheal's performance the best, very believable, the voice acting and facial movements are awesome, its no surprise the guy who did him and probably did the face capture, Ned Luke is a pretty accomplished actor according to his IMDB.

overall this entire game has easily the best voice acting of any Rockstar game with Red Dead a very close second, as big as the cast from the PS2 era were, they were still going for over the top acting and performances and jokes.

even in IV which was playing off the accents and way Roman and Niko couldnt speak or understand english that well, so we're supposed to laugh at when Jacob's heavy Jamaican accent and the subtitles are gibberish type stuff, 5 so far has been lot less forced humor and focus on realistic voice acting and plot lines and intelligent writing.
I think you need to listen to what he says again. It's stupid as a way of getting information. He says people turture other people not to get information but because they like it. Mr K says he would have talked, so why did Trevor torture him? Because he likes torturing people. Who likes torturing people? CRAZY people.
The Duke of Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:56 AM   #13
Rickmassacre

Rickmassacre's Gamercard
Trevor and Patricia are definitely couple of the year.
i also love the bit where he does the bike race with the girl and he chases her saying how much he loves her

100% (66)
List Of 100%
http://www.trueachievements.com/game...gamerid=340720

You should work more on your gamerscore, and less on your post counts.
Rickmassacre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:01 AM   #14
JORDAN K 95

Send a message via Skype™ to JORDAN K 95

JORDAN K 95's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
i do like trevor, but elizabeth is probably more likely to win it

Thanks for the sig Gackt

BF4 RANK:
JORDAN K 95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:20 AM   #15
Barad
Flibbertigibbet

Location: Bristol, England Occupation: Undergraduate Status: Fuck all
Send a message via Skype™ to Barad

Barad XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase The Sports Challenge Club - Tier 1   Community Gaming - Emerald   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Bronze   Road Map - Emerald   Achievement Guide - Platinum   Donator - Level 2   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer
Total Awards: 23 (more» ...)
Haven't played Infinite, so I'd vote for Trevor as well but I've seen too much praise for Elizabeth in reviews/gameplay so I'm unsure.

Quote:
Wow. I'm a fucking dumbass.

Barad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:25 PM   #16
LickableLemons7

SublimeThugLife's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 2   Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - DEG23   Micro Guide - Bronze   Staff Club - DeekBoy   Submit - Bronze   2,500 Posts   XBA Promoter   Staff Club - * Clueless *   Over Achiever - Bronze
Total Awards: 10 (more» ...)
Sorry guys, "Character of the year" goes to Jake Conway from Ride to Hell: Retribution.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:48 PM   #17
BiggD
16 Days Until Halo 2

BiggDope's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickableLemons7 View Post
Sorry guys, "Character of the year" goes to Jake Conway from Ride to Hell: Retribution.
Lol, that's a joke.

~ 16 DAYS ~
Old 09-23-2013, 02:28 PM   #18
GeneralGranko

Send a message via Skype™ to GeneralGranko

xX forEV3R Xx's Gamercard
I really loved Michael much more than Trevor, he is sort of normal middle-age guy with middle-age crisis, just sipping some whiskey, lying next to his pool all the time, just totally average and perfectly portraied lol.
Yet, neither of them are somehow very good, my "COTY" is Ellie from The Last of Us so far, even better than Ellizabeth from BioShock: Infinite I guess.

Talking about mad and crazy, Trevor was epic, but Im pretty sure we all remember Vaas, that motherf*cker was like 10 times more epic and crazy lol.

About other cool characters this year... Artyom from Metro: LL (even through he wasnt talking at all) was pretty cool, a real heroic person.
rockyzz@seznam.cz

Playing now: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (PC)
Need players for:
CoD: BO2 Apocalypse DLC - Easter Egg

GeneralGranko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:56 PM   #19
BiggD
16 Days Until Halo 2

BiggDope's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralGranko View Post
I really loved Michael much more than Trevor, he is sort of normal middle-age guy with middle-age crisis, just sipping some whiskey, lying next to his pool all the time, just totally average and perfectly portraied lol.
Yet, neither of them are somehow very good, my "COTY" is Ellie from The Last of Us so far, even better than Ellizabeth from BioShock: Infinite I guess.

Talking about mad and crazy, Trevor was epic, but Im pretty sure we all remember Vaas, that motherf*cker was like 10 times more epic and crazy lol.

About other cool characters this year... Artyom from Metro: LL (even through he wasnt talking at all) was pretty cool, a real heroic person.
I actually have forgotten about Vaas. Damn Michael M. was so good as him.

~ 16 DAYS ~
Old 09-23-2013, 04:06 PM   #20
Crimson Ridley

Awards Showcase Staff Club - DEG23   Over Achiever - Platinum   Staff Club - dakisbac   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Referrals - Bronze   5,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1   Word of Mouth
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
Quote:
I actually have forgotten about Vaas. Damn Michael M. was so good as him.
Far Cry 3 came out last year.

Many thanks to Cpt Slaugh7er (xboxachievements.com) for the signature!

My xba account: Crimson Ridley
My PSN account: CrimsonRidley

R.I.P. to the most wonderful person to have ever lived; my Nanna. 03/11/1932 - 06/10/2013. You will be forever remembered, and forever missed. I love you so much.
Crimson Ridley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:08 PM   #21
BiggD
16 Days Until Halo 2

BiggDope's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callum x360a View Post
Far Cry 3 came out last year.
I know, I know lol.

~ 16 DAYS ~
Old 09-23-2013, 08:51 PM   #22
Lavindathar

Lavindathar's Gamercard

True, Vaas was better than all

And Barad, I'm ashamed you've not played infinite..

Old 09-23-2013, 08:55 PM   #23
BiggD
16 Days Until Halo 2

BiggDope's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavindathar View Post
True, Vaas was better than all

And Barad, I'm ashamed you've not played infinite..
I am even more disappointed in him.

~ 16 DAYS ~
Old 09-23-2013, 08:58 PM   #24
WalterWhite

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
I loved Far Cry 3 but I'm not as big of a Vaas fan as everyone else seems to be. I think Trevor is a lot scarier. I get the feeling he might cut your throat at any second, friend or foe, and being a meth head makes it even scarier. Anyone remember Tuco from Breaking Bad? Trevor's got a little of that going on only he's a whole lot more intelligent.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:07 PM   #25
upindat

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Trevor is fucking insane. I love switching to him to see just what the hell he is doing. I do agree with some people about Elizibeth, but Trevor is so much fun. But my vote would have to go to Trevor!!
Old 09-23-2013, 09:32 PM   #26
KFZ Scrubs

KFZ Nobody's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 10,000 posts   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Road Map - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
Quote:
I would disagree.

He's funny, well written and different from what we see in video games...but I genuinely think Elizabeth from BioShock Infinite is "COTY." She has A LOT more depth than Trevor Philips, I'm afraid, and Courtnee Draper's performance is untouchable in that game.

EDIT: The VGA's are in Decemeber, so it's not really that far away to see all the nice awards.
I'm on Elizabeth....Trevor's just funny to me

KFZ Scrubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:45 PM   #27
Barad
Flibbertigibbet

Barad XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase The Sports Challenge Club - Tier 1   Community Gaming - Emerald   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Bronze   Road Map - Emerald   Achievement Guide - Platinum   Donator - Level 2   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer
Vaas was a huge let down near the end, and wasn't in the game enough ..and I'm sorry bitches but I just don't like Bioshock.

Forgiveness possible? Thought so..

I think Lester should win COTY.

Quote:

Old 09-23-2013, 10:56 PM   #28
BiggD
16 Days Until Halo 2

BiggDope's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterWhite View Post
I loved Far Cry 3 but I'm not as big of a Vaas fan as everyone else seems to be. I think Trevor is a lot scarier. I get the feeling he might cut your throat at any second, friend or foe, and being a meth head makes it even scarier. Anyone remember Tuco from Breaking Bad? Trevor's got a little of that going on only he's a whole lot more intelligent.
How could we not? Fucked up meth heads are insanely memorable, there's no denying that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFZ Scrubs View Post
I'm on Elizabeth....Trevor's just funny to me
Glad someone agrees with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B A R 4 D View Post
I think Lester should win COTY.
Lester? Nah, man. Chop!

I think I can try to forgive you.

~ 16 DAYS ~
Old 09-23-2013, 10:56 PM   #29
xXmyxxmastaXx

xXmyxxmastaXx's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
character of the year is obviously riley from CoD Ghosts
Old 09-23-2013, 11:25 PM   #30
Barad
Flibbertigibbet

Barad XBA's Gamercard

Quote:
Lester? Nah, man. Chop!
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXmyxxmastaXx View Post
riley from CoD Ghosts
Fuck..tough choice.

Quote: