Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Main Hub > Discussion Boards > Xbox 360
Subscribe    Donate

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 02:02 AM   #1
TVthePunisher
AV25: Yusuke Urameshi

Send a message via AIM to TVthePunisher Send a message via Yahoo to TVthePunisher Send a message via Skype™ to TVthePunisher

TVthePunisher's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 2   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 1   House of Horrors Challenge Club - Tier 1   Gotta Go Fast! Franchise Club - Tier 1   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Subscriber - Bronze   Genre Competition - Second Place   Arcade Crazy - Silver   Donator - Level 1   2,500 Posts   Over Achiever - Bronze
Total Awards: 11 (more» ...)
Urgent Announcement for ANYONE who used alternate region accounts!

Microsoft, without any announcement I've heard of just yet, is doing MASS bans on consoles. I too am affected by this, receiving a disconnect from Xbox Live no more than 10 minutes ago with a Console Ban in place.

Basically, what occurred was quite a few games appeared free on marketplaces in countries such as Oman, Morocco, Bosnia, Russia, etc. An Xbox Live error but one that has been exploited by users for the past 5+ years. They've never cracked down this hard in previous errors...and now they are:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/3...ent-20/page-12

Veteran users all over the place banned, it's not just the newbies we once "shunned" as fakers or people who did SOMETHING ELSE bad on their accounts. No, this is from downloading games that were mistakingly free and I'm assuming, due to the mass number of these downloads (30 some games just about? Including the brand new Rayman Legends)...Microsoft acted.

They may make an announcement or a news article might pop up soon but whatever the case...I DO NOT KNOW IF THIS WILL HELP YOU ALL OUT OR NOT, BUT DELETE YOUR ALTERNATE PROFILES AND THE GAMES IMMEDIATELY!

So far it doesn't appear that they're banning gamertags, just the consoles...and unless you want to keep these games on that console, I highly suggest at least removing that shit unless you want to risk from what was turning out to be a .001% chance of banning to a 70+% chance of being banned.

I'm not some bullshitter...I'm Uncle TV, looking out for you my brothas *bumpfist*.
Badass in a Sig #1 - Hiei (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Somewhat of a Vegeta Complex but all around kickass son of a ice-bitch, Hiei is the Uchiha before Uchiha became a thing. Demon, quick to the kill and an awesome voice actor (same as Android 17!!).
Old 09-27-2013, 02:17 AM   #2
Creech
Administrator

Just Creech's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - DEG23   10,000 posts   Staff - Front Page   Staff - Administrator   Thought, Precision and Planning Club - Tier 2   Thought, Precision and Planning Club - Tier 1   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 3   Toilet Bowl Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - Andrew x360a   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 2   Micro Guide - Gold   Achievement Guide - Emerald
Total Awards: 42 (more» ...)
Not sure why an announcement would be needed as it is pretty clearly against the Terms of Use if anyone bothered to read them.... And deleting it doesn't make a difference, it is a trivial act to run a query on their database to see the console IDs where they were downloaded.

As far as I am aware, MS does not keep track of what you have on your hard drive, but they definitely keep track of what has been downloaded on each profile and what the IP address was.

Awake, Alert, & Enthusiastic!
The Silicon Rule: If the product is free, then you are the product.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:19 AM   #3
Corrupt.
GT Lead/Mod/Lobster

Corrupt XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Cops N' Robbers - Tier 1   Subscriber Clubs Baron   RPG!!! Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff - Moderator   Gotta Go Fast! Franchise Club - Tier 1   Community Gaming - Platinum   Thought, Precision and Planning Club - Tier 1   The Sports Challenge Club - Tier 1   Off to the Races Challenge Club - Tier 1   Achievement Guide - Emerald   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal
Total Awards: 50 (more» ...)
Well we shall see. If it is a console ban and not an account ban, maybe M$ is trying to recoup some of the money "lost" by getting people to buy new consoles.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:23 AM   #4
jumpman174

jumpman174's Gamercard
I got hit. I've spent over $2500 on my Xbox and for them to ban BOTH my console and my profile, is way too severe for a first offense. If they had only banned my console, I would have bought another and downloaded my profile. But I am not starting over from scratch. Besides Rayman Legends, these were games I would have never bought in the first place. And I would have bought Rayman Legends eventually when the price dropped, as I do all games I want. They have lost any chance of me ever giving them any more money in any way.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:26 AM   #5
TVthePunisher

Send a message via AIM to TVthePunisher Send a message via Yahoo to TVthePunisher Send a message via Skype™ to TVthePunisher

Awards Showcase Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 2   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 1   House of Horrors Challenge Club - Tier 1   Gotta Go Fast! Franchise Club - Tier 1   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Subscriber - Bronze   Genre Competition - Second Place   Arcade Crazy - Silver   Donator - Level 1   2,500 Posts   Over Achiever - Bronze
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creech View Post
Not sure why an announcement would be needed as it is pretty clearly against the Terms of Use if anyone bothered to read them.... And deleting it doesn't make a difference, it is a trivial act to run a query on their database to see the console IDs where they were downloaded.

As far as I am aware, MS does not keep track of what you have on your hard drive, but they definitely keep track of what has been downloaded on each profile and what the IP address was.
Well, I suppose I'm sort of fueled up by emotions right now...I'm progressively getting madder and madder at the whole situation but I'm trying to keep my cool. I figure an announcement would allow people a chance to get out before the ban happened but based on what you said, it's unavoidable - once it's downloaded, you're screwed.

Heh...my GT's still there and...I know this is kind of a weird thing to ask because of the circumstances but...I do have another Xbox hanging around .__. this doesn't bar me or anyone else from tournaments (including the GSL) right? I mean we all did stuff we've done for years that's been around and these mass bannings are sort of new for MS in regards to the region-related stuff...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrupt x360a View Post
Well we shall see. If it is a console ban and not an account ban, maybe M$ is trying to recoup some of the money "lost" by getting people to buy new consoles.
That does make sense, just hope tags don't get banned. I heard something on CAG about some tags being banned alongside it. BTW, I got your message on Xbox Live...;>___> then I was banned like 5 minutes after. I guess what I said was wrong ^__^; it's true. Hah...hah.......*mental breakdown*

Edit: Oh this really sucks, a really good buddy of mine just had his ACCOUNT banned because of this. Ugh...

Somewhat of a Vegeta Complex but all around kickass son of a ice-bitch, Hiei is the Uchiha before Uchiha became a thing. Demon, quick to the kill and an awesome voice actor (same as Android 17!!).

Last edited by TVthePunisher; 09-27-2013 at 03:12 AM.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:04 AM   #6
TimmahBoy2009

TimmahBoy2009's Gamercard
Anyone have any contacts in the media? Could be a "dark horse" story here.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:16 AM   #7
Creech
Administrator

Just Creech's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - DEG23   10,000 posts   Staff - Front Page   Staff - Administrator   Thought, Precision and Planning Club - Tier 2   Thought, Precision and Planning Club - Tier 1   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 3   Toilet Bowl Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - Andrew x360a   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 2   Micro Guide - Gold   Achievement Guide - Emerald
Total Awards: 42 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVthePunisher View Post
Heh...my GT's still there and...I know this is kind of a weird thing to ask because of the circumstances but...I do have another Xbox hanging around .__. this doesn't bar me or anyone else from tournaments (including the GSL) right? I mean we all did stuff we've done for years that's been around and these mass bannings are sort of new for MS in regards to the region-related stuff...
As long as your gamertag isn't banned, it doesn't affect the GSL.

Awake, Alert, & Enthusiastic!
The Silicon Rule: If the product is free, then you are the product.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:18 AM   #8
TVthePunisher

Quote:
As long as your gamertag isn't banned, it doesn't affect the GSL.
Cool, cool. Thanks for the info. I'm going to miss my slim...I really don't like my white Xbox ;>_> I need component cables, I hate SD quality with 360 games...

Last edited by TVthePunisher; 09-27-2013 at 03:25 AM.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:19 AM   #9
DOOKH8R

DOOKH8R's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Over Achiever - Bronze   Staff Club - Minty   2,500 Posts   Donator - Level 4   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Total Awards: 6 (more» ...)
Are all these bans Creech's "new baby" ?
Old 09-27-2013, 03:32 AM   #10
ox bigboss xo

oX BIG BOSS Xo's Gamercard
another one here.... ;; cant believe it
Old 09-27-2013, 03:40 AM   #11
Teh Paralyzer

New Paralyzer's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
They took my tag and my xbox....

why......

why did they take my tag.........

take my xbox...... not my tag......... I need my tag.....

4th Person to 1K DDR Universe on X360A... on my old gamertag
Old 09-27-2013, 03:49 AM   #12
Slaughter.
A Necessary Evil

Cpt Slaugh7er's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Cops N' Robbers - Tier 2   Knife in the Dark Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - Shinobi273   The Best of 2014 Challenge Club - Tier 2   Subscriber Clubs Baron   Over Achiever - Bronze   5,000 Posts   Donator - Level 2   Subscriber - Bronze
Total Awards: 9 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVthePunisher View Post
Cool, cool. Thanks for the info. I'm going to miss my slim...I really don't like my white Xbox ;>_> I need component cables, I hate SD quality with 360 games...
I'd suggest contacting Microsoft and letting them know that it was simply a mistake on their part.

Staff Club Breakdown
My Gallery
| XBA Blog
I put the laughter in slaughter.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:53 AM   #13
CpStealth

CpStealth xacbx's Gamercard
I only got console banned luckily my gt still works. Also wanna give a thanks to all the people who put effort into getting these free games to us,so we can all enjoy...
Old 09-27-2013, 03:55 AM   #14
Wildmn34

Wildmn34's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmahBoy2009 View Post
Anyone have any contacts in the media? Could be a "dark horse" story here.
For what purpose? Hey I accessed content I was legally not entitled to, created fake accounts to download and exploit things and now I got in trouble.

What's the story? Yeah it sucks for those who it happened to, but I mean come on it's not like people who did it didn't know they were exploting loopholes and such.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:07 AM   #15
TVthePunisher

I left a post on their support forums, unfortunately I have a tendency to tell the truth so ;>_> ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV to Microsoft Support Forum
"Hello,

I'm aware of the reasons for my console being banned. Lately, several titles have gone up for free on different Regions' marketplaces and thus myself (as well as many others who I'm sure will be storming these forums over the next day or so) will tell you that their consoles have been banned for the same thing.

I would like to request that in exchange for me deleting all of that content and closing those alternate accounts, that I could have the console "unbanned". It may be a vein attempt...and I expect to see a generated message about why the console was banned rather than a legitimate response. However, I have been a loyal customer to Microsoft's Xbox 360 for well over 6 years now and to see my slim unusable...it's such a waste. I must admit I was led astray, for years people have been making accounts for years to obtain content that showed up free on other marketplaces but never have they showed up to such an extent as these past few weeks. I was assured of little to no risk in doing so but now I just want things back to normal.

Look I understand the acquisition was illegitimate but I'd rather not lose my Xbox over some games. So I ask, sincerely, to please unban my 360 console as I remove the tags and any content gained from them. Thank you for your time. "
Not sure if that will unban me but...I at least stated what I'd do (and have done, those accounts and the content is gone). If they don't unban it...*sigh*...poor Slim =/....I do feel bad though, as I preached the little to no risk myself to many people when were WERE talking about here on this forum. I assumed that was THE TRUTH, that they didn't act on any of this crap...but now when I finally take advantage of this silly stuff, bam my console is banned.

Last edited by TVthePunisher; 09-27-2013 at 04:10 AM.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:11 AM   #16
IGotBanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildmn34 View Post
For what purpose? Hey I accessed content I was legally not entitled to, created fake accounts to download and exploit things and now I got in trouble.

What's the story? Yeah it sucks for those who it happened to, but I mean come on it's not like people who did it didn't know they were exploting loopholes and such.
I don't think many people here are going to argue that some punishment was completely unjustified. For instance, of course it makes sense to ban the foreign accounts set up to download games. By doing that, Microsoft was insuring that they didn't make their way into the hands of other people, and on to other consoles. I understand that.

Furthermore, I understand a console ban, if that was all it was. It's a punitive step, but it says hey, this console has games on it that you shouldn't have put on there, and hence this console can't go online. Now that you've cut off the account, they can't download them again, and once you ban the console, you insure that they can't ever do anything but play those games offline on that console. Problem solved.

BUT! This is where it becomes over the top, considering this whole issue was a mistake on Microsoft's part. Banning a console isn't just banning a console. I haven't figured it all out, and some here might explain it better, but a ban means that it corrupts your saves and profiles on the banned console. They work on that console, but not another one, so for instance if you put 200 hours into Skyrim? Well, that save is now stuck on a console that thanks to poor craftsmanship, might overheat and die. I read they used to corrupt the entire hard drive, but not sure about that, it seems they just screw with your saves and profile now.

That's when it starts to go over the line to me, I get the console ban if that's all it was (it isn't, it's worse than that). I get the foreign accounts ban. I don't get screwing with people's saves, that's just abusive. Furthermore, the banning main accounts? If it was just a gamerscore, and this might be blasphemy, I kind of get that. But, it's not just that. It is cutting the user off from what could have been thousands of dollars in unspent points, and digital purchases. It's kind of like shoplifting from Wal-Mart (really it would be more like buying penny guides) and having someone come to your house and take everything you ever purchased from there.

Yeah, I get that downloading a free game, in this manner could be immoral (but if you never planned on buying it in the first place, it's kind of a victimless crime). But, I do think that Microsoft's reaction is overblown, and to me is a major warning about investing in them in the future.

Last edited by IGotBanned; 09-27-2013 at 04:16 AM.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:12 AM   #17
Aceman417

Aceman417's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Impossible Trinity - Silver   Submit - Bronze   Subscriber - Gold   1,000 Posts   Over Achiever - Bronze   XBA Promoter   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 7 (more» ...)
I honestly don't know why they would do this so close to the One. I can imagine a fair few people getting angry and getting a PS4 instead.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:14 AM   #18
Teh Paralyzer

New Paralyzer's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
I lot of people have got banned.

I wonder if we can fight this in any way......

4th Person to 1K DDR Universe on X360A... on my old gamertag
Old 09-27-2013, 04:24 AM   #19
Fana

FluffyFana's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh Paralyzer View Post
I lot of people have got banned.

I wonder if we can fight this in any way......
You cant in anyway.

This Xbox console has been permanently banned from access to Xbox LIVE due to involvement in fraudulent activity. This conduct was discovered by an investigation into the activity occurring on the console or associated accounts. The conduct that caused this ban may include, but is not limited to: -  Repeated unauthorized account recovery or usage-  Unauthorized purchases/redemptions on an account-  Attempts to commit fraud To help avoid future account or console suspensions, please review the Xbox LIVE Code of Conduct and the Terms of Use here: 

http://www.xbox.com/Legal/CodeOfConduct
http://www.xbox.com/Legal/LiveTOU
http://www.xbox.com/consoleban

This was posted on there forums.

Thank you, Rajeanero!
Old 09-27-2013, 04:24 AM   #20
TimmahBoy2009

TimmahBoy2009's Gamercard
Quote:

Headline "Microsoft mass banning consoles for downloading content from different regions"

LOL, No, I don't think it will make it OK. I do however BELIEVE that bad PR, whatever the reason, is not wanted on their part. (Although, they are M$ and don't seem to care most of the time) Just seems funny that they are just trickling out bans instead of the mass bannings in the past. Considering their presales on xbones is getting smoked by PS4 presales seems anymore bad PR would be detrimental to their consoles.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:25 AM   #21
WalterWhite

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Quote:

Agreed. People who did this had to know it was shady from the get go even if it has gone on for a long time without consequence. You take a risk doing in this kind of thing, sometimes you lose. I'm pretty happy I never tried this.

This is going to be an interesting thread to keep an eye on in the coming days, if this is ends up actually being a big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman417 View Post
I honestly don't know why they would do this so close to the One. I can imagine a fair few people getting angry and getting a PS4 instead.
Oh yeah. People with gamerscores in the hundreds of thousands who get their Gamertag banned are going to be pissed. If the tags are getting banned, I guarantee you this would cause some people to switch.

Last edited by WalterWhite; 09-27-2013 at 08:42 AM.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:30 AM   #22
Cloud 90

Cloud 90's Gamercard
To those who have been banned how many different accounts did you make/games did you download? Also did you get an email from MS about it?

Last edited by Cloud 90; 09-27-2013 at 04:33 AM.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:36 AM   #23
Veedrock

Veedrock's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Micro Guide - Bronze   Genre Competition - First Place   2,500 Posts   Donator - Level 1   XBA Promoter
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
Oh my god TV, that really sucks. Thank goodness you still have your account though, I can't imagine how difficult it would be to lose that.

My account and console are both safe atm, but hot shit this is scary. I'm just going to stay offline for awhile and hope this blows over in the coming weeks.

Here's a breakdown of what my recent alternate account activity:

Spoiler! (click here to reveal)

I'm hoping my lack of Bosnian account will be my saving grace.

Quote:
As a site, we don't support calling it "xbone" as that was a name that was used to refer to the system in a negative light. Since the site exists to support the system, being deliberately negative towards it seems counter productive.

tl;dr - Call it the Xbox One or X1.

Last edited by Veedrock; 09-27-2013 at 06:00 AM.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:37 AM   #24
Fana

FluffyFana's Gamercard
I do wonder what make them decide to either ban the console alone or the console and gamertag.

Thank you, Rajeanero!
Old 09-27-2013, 04:38 AM   #25
Kung Fu Man

Kung Fu Man 316's Gamercard
Yeah it's been banned, my account doesn't seem to be. Can still make purchases on xbox live, still counts me as a gold member.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:39 AM   #26
IGotBanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud 90 View Post
To those who have been banned how many different accounts did you make/games did you download? Also did you get an email from MS about it?
I made one account each for Morocco, Oman, and Bosnia.
For Morocco I downloaded several of the free Arcade titles, and Injustice. My connection isn't that fast, and I moved Injustice up the download list, but the last few didn't complete.

On the Oman account, I got Dark, and Arcadia. I also re-purchased the Arcade titles that failed (2 or 3) and got the rest of the Arcade titles I didn't have yet. I think I got a couple DLCs to, games I didn't even have but thought looked interesting.

On the Bosnian account I got Rayman, and Fable III and that was it.

The Oman and Bosnian accounts were banned within seconds of each other (both go an email). Not sure about the Moroccan account but I assume it was as well. Main account is not banned, not sure about the console because I'm not going to go on Live and let them corrupt my saves and what not until I figure out more.

Last edited by IGotBanned; 09-27-2013 at 04:45 AM.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:40 AM   #27
sugarcookie

welp im switching to ps4 bye bye xbox
Old 09-27-2013, 04:42 AM   #28
Merch

GoodCoffeeJoey's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Silver   Artist of the Month   VGO Gold Medal   1,000 Posts   Micro Guide - Bronze   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)
Total Awards: 6 (more» ...)
We're fucked. We're all fucked.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:52 AM   #29
Kung Fu Man

Kung Fu Man 316's Gamercard
The bans seem to be specific to the Oman and Bosnia region glitches, as those accounts show as banned (marketplace theft)...going to assume Morroco is undoubtedly included as well.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:54 AM   #30
Aceman417

Aceman417's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Impossible Trinity - Silver   Submit - Bronze   Subscriber - Gold   1,000 Posts   Over Achiever - Bronze   XBA Promoter   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 7 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veedrock View Post
Oh my god TV, that really sucks. Thank goodness you still have your account though, I can't imagine how difficult it would be to lose that.

My account doesn't appear to be banned (yet), no email and xbox.com isn't declaring me banned, but now I'm afraid to even turn on my console Hot shit this is scary, I can live with a console ban (it'd still suck, but lesser of two evils) but I'd rather just not even bring any attention to myself. I'm just going to stay offline for awhile and hope this blows over in the coming weeks.

Should be noted that all I grabbed was Angry Birds, Dark, and those 11ish XBLA games. I never did the locale change trick for Arcadia and Injustice(?), nor did I do that ad trick people were doing for Injustice. I didn't make an account for Rayman Legends either, thinking that would just be playing with fire, so hopefully they ignore me.
Staying offline won't matter. If it is banned, once it goes online you will be notified of it being banned.