PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 LIVE Arcade Games > Card and Board > Chessmaster LIVE
Subscribe    Donate

Old 01-30-2008, 08:47 PM   #1
PanTh3r

Send a message via AIM to PanTh3r

iAmMaximusPrime's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Achievement Guide

Never mind you guys can do it

Last edited by Creech; 02-01-2008 at 08:06 PM. Reason: deleted whines
PanTh3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 02:43 AM   #2
darquesyde

Darquesyde's Gamercard

Awards Showcase NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   x360a Book Club
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Annihilator (Capture all your opponent's pieces in Classic Chess (Single Player)) does not require you to checkmate the game. It will unlock when you take the final piece that is not the king.
darquesyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 04:51 AM   #3
zlionsfan
Subscribing Member

zlionsfan's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 3 on 3 NHL Arcade Subscribers Tourn. Second Place   Donator - Level 1
For Annihilator, I recommend scrolling to the far left of the profiles and choosing someone like Cassie (ELO: 23). Playing against one of the weakest players, if you have a little chess background, you should be able to get this as well as Apprentice and Blitzkrieger.

Keep in mind that you must take all of your opponent's pieces, but
1. you must always leave one legal move (or else it will be a stalemate and the game will end) and
2. you must not checkmate your opponent until all of the pieces are captured.

It will be easier to get this if you get your queen into play early; a weak opponent will frequently leave pieces unprotected for you to capture.

For Blitzkrieger, play a weak opponent as well, so that you can be thinking about your move while your opponent is moving. Make sure to have at least one move in mind when it's your turn - move quickly during the early part of the game and save some time for later in the game (remember, you have to win without using 5 minutes of your own time). Again, if you're playing a weak opponent, you're much more likely to get away with a quick move that isn't the best. (A skilled player should get this achievement against any of the weaker profiles with no problem.)

For Master, play the weak opponent over and over - for less-skilled players, this will give you practice at the game itself and hopefully help you against higher-ranked opponents. I have not yet found a profile against which a two-move or four-move mate will work, not even the lowest-rated ones.

Practice games do count toward the 20 wins you need, so you can play the weakest opponents in a practice game and use the hints to help you.

I think you should provide a specific example of a rating that, if you beat it, will get you to 1200. (For example, in solo play, at 600, I beat Sonja, at 824. I gained 208 points to get to 808 - not nearly enough in one game to reach 1200.)

For Grand Strategist, you do not need to solve different puzzles: you can solve 30 puzzles of the same type if you want.

Hung Piece: in chess, a piece is "hung" if it can be captured on the opponent's next move without the capturing piece being captured in return. In these puzzles, you are given one piece to move, and you must capture your opponent's "hung" piece. The trick is to look at each piece that you could take and find the one (there is only one) that is not guarded by any other piece. These are relatively quick puzzles - I recommend trying these for the achievement.

Find Fork: you must move a piece so that it attacks two or more of your opponent's pieces at once; one may be the king. You may have several pieces on the board, so it can be harder to find the piece that will create the fork.

Find Check: find the move that puts your opponent in check. It does not matter if your opponent could then capture that piece. These are relatively quick puzzles.

Mate in One: find the move that checkmates your opponent. (Classic chess puzzles have many variants of this: mate in X, where there is a sequence of X moves that cannot be prevented and leads to checkmate.) Again, you will have several pieces on the board, so it can be harder to find the move that results in mate.

Avoid Mate: the converse of the problem above. Find the single move that prevents checkmate by your opponent on the next move. These can be more difficult for less-experienced players.

Move to Safety: find the move that prevents your piece from being captured. These are slightly more difficult than the easiest puzzles: you have only one piece on the board, but you have to find a square that is not under attack.

Pin Piece: in chess, a piece is "pinned" if it cannot be moved without exposing another, more valuable piece to capture. Find the move that pins a piece of your opponent's. These can be quite difficult.

For Champ, I do not have suggestions for newer players. There are no options to decrease the ability of a profile (to handicap the AI), so if you cannot get this by playing a human rated 1000 or higher, you'll simply have to learn the game.

For Jack of All Trades, you must win an online game of Classic Chess (with standard rules), Losing Chess (where you must lose all your pieces to win: capturing is compulsory, like in checkers, and there is no check, checkmate, or castling), Progressive Chess (where white makes one move, then black two, then white three, and so on; you may only place your opponent in check on your last move in a turn, and you must escape check or capture en passant on your first move in a turn), Dark Chess (where you cannot see any of your opponent's pieces unless they are threatened by your own, and there is no check - you simply capture the king to win), and Extinction Chess (capture all of any single type of piece to win; there is no check or checkmate and you can castle at any time).

waiting for Skyrim

Last edited by zlionsfan; 02-03-2008 at 06:00 PM.
zlionsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 02:48 PM   #4
patches4711

patches4711's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   FIFA/Madden Subscribers Tourn. - Second Place   Donator - Level 3   Word of Mouth   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
For Glorious 15 You have to achieve an online rank of 1200. You gain points by winning games. I picked up as many as 50pts in a game if you are playing someone higher ranked and you win. If you play the same person again and win you only pick up like 10 points. Losing a game cost's you points as well. You have to consistently win to be able to pick up that many points. Your rating starts at 600 so this one will take some games.

patches4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 04:21 PM   #5
zlionsfan
Subscribing Member

zlionsfan's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 3 on 3 NHL Arcade Subscribers Tourn. Second Place   Donator - Level 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by patches4711 View Post
For Glorious 15 You have to achieve an online rank of 1200. You gain points by winning games. I picked up as many as 50pts in a game if you are playing someone higher ranked and you win. If you play the same person again and win you only pick up like 10 points. Losing a game cost's you points as well. You have to consistently win to be able to pick up that many points. Your rating starts at 600 so this one will take some games.
The points that you gain depend on the difference between your rating and your opponent's rating. To increase your rating more quickly, you'll need to play players with significantly higher ratings than you have; keep in mind that to boost for this achievement, you'll need to play someone with a high rating and a lot of games played. Otherwise, as you gain points from the wins, your opponent will lose points, and you'll get fewer and fewer points as your ratings approach each other.

waiting for Skyrim

Old 02-01-2008, 04:45 AM   #6
ZERATUL PL

ZERATUL PL's Gamercard

Blitzkrieger

Win 1 game (Single Player) in less than 5 minutes (personal time).

Set up a game with Stanley ELO= 1 and mate the monkey. Only your time counts, so make your moves fast.

Annihilator

Capture all your opponent's pieces in Classic Chess (Single Player).

Again set up a game with Stanley and simply start taking out piece after piece. Watch out to not mate accidentally.

Apprentice

Win 1 game (Single Player).

You should get this along with the ones above. Just win a game against PC.

Jack of all Trades

Win 1 online game in all chess variants.

Can be done in a player match, so invite your friend and win.

Grand Strategist

Complete 30 puzzles.

Complete 30 puzzles, it doesn't matter if you make mistake or not. Hung Piece seems to be the easiest ones.

Pro Player

Win 10 ranked online games.

You have to win 10 ranked games, the easiest way is try meet with your friend. You're hosting the game and your buddy is looking for you in a custom game.

Chess Regular

Play 20 online games.

Just play 20 online games.

Rising Star

Win online against a higher ranked player.

Can be done same way as pro player

Champ

Defeat a chess personality with an ELO rating of 1000 or more.

IN PROGRESS

Glorious

Achieve an online rating of 1200 in any type of chess.

IN PROGRESS. TRYING TO DO IT SAME WAY AS PRO PLAYER.

Master

Win 20 games (Single Player).

Keep playing with Stanley ELO = 1 and eventually you'll get it

Veteran

Play 100 games (Single Player).

Chees is the best game ever, so keep playing till you get it.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:38 AM   #7
blackmagic16

Send a message via Skype™ to blackmagic16

BlackMagic16's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Referrals - Bronze   Submit - Bronze
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZERATUL PL View Post

Champ

Defeat a chess personality with an ELO rating of 1000 or more.

Veteran

Play 100 games (Single Player).

Chees is the best game ever, so keep playing till you get it.
Theres dicrections for those Here

blackmagic16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:11 AM   #8
IGC ELIMINATER17

Extr3m3 G4m3r's Gamercard

Blitzkrieger

20 Win 1 game (Single Player) in less than 5 minutes (personal time).

Set up a game with Stanley the monkey with an ELO rating of 1 and put him in that lovely word we all call CHECKMATE!! A good way to do that is set the timer on 30 seconds and either try to win or let Stanley run out of time and then you should get this. Not that hard really. To do this just go to single player, then click on classic chess then scroll down to single game. Once you get to the options screen go to time method and switch that to hourglass and last go to choose opponent and scroll all the way to your left till u get to Stanley the monkey.

Annihilator

10 Capture all your opponent's pieces in Classic Chess (Single Player).

Simply set up a game with Stanley with an ELO rating of 1 and then set the time limit to 15 min. and that should be more then enough time to capture all of his pieces. Right when you capture the very last lonesome piece the achievement will unlock. Set up the options the same way you did for Blitzkrieger except keep the time method on Minutes per game and change the time control from 10 min. / game to 15 min. / game. just to make sure you'll have enough time to capture every piece.

Apprentice

5 Win 1 game (Single Player).

It will unlock if you are going for Blitzkrieger or Annihilator. Most likely it will be the first achievement you get.

Jack of all Trades

15 Win 1 online game in all chess variants.

Just invite your friend whose willing to help you out and have him let you win in each of the five chess variants(it can be done in ranked or player).

Grand Strategist

20 Complete 30 puzzles.

Simply complete 30 puzzles, they dont have to be different every time so just find one that suits you and keep on winning at that one. What i found was the quickest and easiest was the Avoid Mate one.

Pro Player

25 Win 10 ranked online games.

You have to win 10 ranked online games, you could try and find a friend that will boost with you but that might be a little tough since quite a few people play this game but other then that this achievement shouldnt be to hard to get. Just create a game and set the timer on 30 seconds and hopefully your opponent will run out of time and you'll get the win

Chess Regular

10 Play 20 online games.

Just play 20 online games. You dont have to win, you just have to start up a ranked/Player match and finish it

Rising Star

15 Win online against a higher ranked player.

Shoudnt be to hard to get, considering you start out at 600, theirs bound to be people higher then you. When u find someone just simply beat them. Or u can take the cheesy road and ask the guy your playing can he let you win. Choice is yours

Champ

25 Defeat a chess personality with an ELO rating of 1000 or more.

This time instead of selecting Stanley select Lucy with an ELO rating of 1006, thats the closest you can get to 1000.

Note: See Blitzkrieger for directions except this time scroll to your right till you see Lucy
-If the 30 second timer doesnt work for you hit the RB/LB and keep on clicking on hint until you win. Good Luck

Glorious

15 Achieve an online rating of 1200 in any type of chess.

This one will take some TIME. You have to play a lot of games to reach an ELO rating of 1200, your best bet is trying to find someone who is higher than you because then you will receive a lot more exp. Other than that theres really not much to say about this achievement.

Master

25 Win 20 games (Single Player).

Keep playing Stanley with an ELO rating of 1 and eventually you'll get it

Veteran

15 Play 100 games (Single Player).

If u have a love for the game, then you'll get it in no time

NOTE: This is the very first guide ive ever written so if i did something wrong or i need to change something PLEASE tell me. Then i would gladly fix it. Thanks
Other than that how did i do on the guide? Just send me a quickreply telling me if its good, bad, or it needs to be worked on so then ill know what to do later on in the future.

(20) 200s-Pacman~Ms. Pacman~Digdug~N+~Galaga~Frogger~Portal: Still Alive~Uno~Dash of Destruction~Big Bumpin~Spyglass Board Games~Banjo Kazooie~Pocketbike Racer~Cloning Clyde~Marble Blast Ultra(250)~Puzzle Arcade~Rocky and Bullwinkle~Sneak King~5th grader~Frogger 2

Last edited by IGC ELIMINATER17; 02-17-2008 at 04:56 AM.
IGC ELIMINATER17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 05:59 PM   #9
zlionsfan
Subscribing Member

zlionsfan's Gamercard

I would recommend using black text.

waiting for Skyrim

Old 02-04-2008, 09:29 PM   #10
IGC ELIMINATER17

Extr3m3 G4m3r's Gamercard
i had black text to begin with but then i searched around the forums and i saw a page saying how to make a perfect guide and one of the tips was make it colorful so it can stand out and a mod suggested it so thats why im doing it. Also i want my guide to get picked for chessmaster live so im trying to make it attractive, i dont want it too boring, do u kno wat im saying?

(20) 200s-Pacman~Ms. Pacman~Digdug~N+~Galaga~Frogger~Portal: Still Alive~Uno~Dash of Destruction~Big Bumpin~Spyglass Board Games~Banjo Kazooie~Pocketbike Racer~Cloning Clyde~Marble Blast Ultra(250)~Puzzle Arcade~Rocky and Bullwinkle~Sneak King~5th grader~Frogger 2

Last edited by IGC ELIMINATER17; 02-07-2008 at 01:18 AM.
IGC ELIMINATER17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 11:23 PM   #11
zlionsfan
Subscribing Member

zlionsfan's Gamercard

You should definitely follow a mod's suggestions, especially one from the guide team, but you'll need to be careful about which colors you use: light text is difficult to read on a light background and vice versa.

waiting for Skyrim

Old 03-31-2008, 11:05 PM   #12
DirtyD187U

ImPuLsE80's Gamercard
beat the computer that has 1000 exp is damn near impossible come close so many times but they keep stale mate me.
DirtyD187U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 02:14 PM   #13
Moonshine

Togidubnus's Gamercard
Thumbs up

well thx for all the info, it did help, still need the onlne 1200 rating achievement though
Moonshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:02 AM   #14
tnargus

tnargus's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyD187U View Post
beat the computer that has 1000 exp is damn near impossible come close so many times but they keep stale mate me.
Yeah i got beat by them with 10 seconds to go last night. Down to King for me, King and a pawn that queened for them. Was quite annoyed.

100% Retail: Assassin's Creed, Assassin's Creed 2, Avatar, Fallout 3 (1550), Fight Night 3, Halo 3 (pre-patch), Lego Indiana Jones, King Kong, Lost: Via Domus, Madden 06, NBA 2K6, Oblivion (1250), TMNT
100% Arcade: Castle Crashers, Dash Of Destruction, Kingdom of Keflings, Portal: Still Alive, The Secret Of Monkey Island, Uno
Working On: Halo ODST, Modern Warfare 2
tnargus is offline   Reply With Quote