Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Main Hub > Community and Events > Ambassadors
Subscribe    Donate

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 01:27 PM   #1
Grifter Reborn
CET Leader & Mod

Send a message via Skype™ to Grifter Reborn

Grifter x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Emerald   Staff - Moderator   CABS Beta Tester   Over Achiever - Bronze   2,500 Posts   Staff Club - Grifter Reborn   Staff - Community and Events Team   x360a Representer   Road Map - Bronze   A+ Thread Award
Total Awards: 10 (more» ...)
Ambassador 3LR Feedback

Well the 3LR tourney is over (finally!) and we're asking y'all to let us know how we did. We hope everyone enjoyed it, but we know that's not always possible. So if you have a few moments to let us know what you did or didn't like, it'd be appreciated. If you have some ideas for improvements, please mention them. Thanks!

A couple of things we are already aware of:

1- The tourney ran longer than we hoped. Ultimately this was a calculated risk with matchups being random. If we had set up traditional brackets, we were guaranteed to run long. There were several scenarios that finished in time, so to give it a chance... Well we took a chance.

2- A suggestion surfaced during the tourney via pm about ideas to increase scoring each round. While we initially discussed scenarios for allowing members to have private profiles, we came up with a much simpler and effective solution:

Quote:
Something else that popped in my head to try instead of private profiles is to hide the match-ups until the round is over so no one knows who they are playing.
This could add an extra twist to the tourney.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:54 PM   #2
Jardinho

Jardinho's Gamercard

Awards Showcase VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Bronze   Community Gaming - Silver   Green Thumb - Bronze   1,000 Posts   Submit - Silver   XBA Promoter   GRID 2 Award   Over Achiever - Bronze
Total Awards: 11 (more» ...)
Quote:
Something else that popped in my head to try instead of private profiles is to hide the match-ups until the round is over so no one knows who they are playing.
That's... just evil.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:16 PM   #3
Skorpion XBA
Brick Breaker

Skorpion XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 3   2,500 Posts   I Can Read! NTSC-J Challenge Club - Tier 1   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Gold   Road Map - Gold   Green Thumb - Platinum   Staff Club - Tyger7   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   Achievement Guide - Silver
Total Awards: 34 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardinho View Post
That's... just evil.
But would be interesting. That means you'd either have to chance playing someone who scores low or really high. You wouldn't be able to predict how much GS to earn. Could be interesting.

I think the tournament went really well. I didn't like how it ran into GSL but things happen, no biggie. Honestly I didn't like how many bye rounds there were. Maybe next time limit how many bye rounds a person can get to one. I know I lucked out with them, but I think it would be more fair to have someone else chosen if the same person was to randomly get a bye round for a second time.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:32 PM   #4
Capn Doug
Community Completionist

Capn Doug XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase The Sports Challenge Club - Tier 1   Arcade Crazy - Platinum   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 1   Best of XBLA Challenge Club - Tier 2   Off to the Races Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - Shiftie   Staff Club - Nozza x360a   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 3   I Can Read! NTSC-J Challenge Club - Tier 3   Community Gaming - Gold   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 2   Scratch the SURFACE Challenge Club - Tier 2
Total Awards: 47 (more» ...)
Oh, I just had an evil idea... Why not make it so that when there is a bye round for someone, those are the rounds where no one knows who they're competing against. Keep the luck, but make it so that there are no actual breaks.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:18 PM   #5
AOS Puck

AOS Puck's Gamercard

Awards Showcase CABS Beta Tester   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - Grifter Reborn   2,500 Posts   Staff/Subscriber Last Man Standing - Third Place   Staff Club - DeekBoy   Staff Club - * Clueless *   Staff Club - AOS Puck   XBA Promoter   Arcade Crazy - Silver   Over Achiever - Silver
Total Awards: 17 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardinho View Post
That's... just evil.
An evil person did come up with it so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skorpion x360a View Post
But would be interesting. That means you'd either have to chance playing someone who scores low or really high. You wouldn't be able to predict how much GS to earn. Could be interesting.

I think the tournament went really well. I didn't like how it ran into GSL but things happen, no biggie. Honestly I didn't like how many bye rounds there were. Maybe next time limit how many bye rounds a person can get to one. I know I lucked out with them, but I think it would be more fair to have someone else chosen if the same person was to randomly get a bye round for a second time.
GSL: I think it was actually good it ran into GSL because people could theoretically go all out during those rounds and not have to be worried about burning their GSL games before GSL.

Byes: I think you either go all in with random.org or don't use it at all. I don't think you should just re-randomize all the matchups because one person got multiple byes.

--------------------------------------------

Grifter & Doug: If Creech is ever slow with Duck Faces in the future, just let me know and I'll put duck faces for the member's avatar & signature until Creech can get the award up.

Read them.... apply them.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:19 PM   #6
Capn Doug
Community Completionist

Capn Doug XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase The Sports Challenge Club - Tier 1   Arcade Crazy - Platinum   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 1   Best of XBLA Challenge Club - Tier 2   Off to the Races Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - Shiftie   Staff Club - Nozza x360a   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 3   I Can Read! NTSC-J Challenge Club - Tier 3   Community Gaming - Gold   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 2   Scratch the SURFACE Challenge Club - Tier 2
Total Awards: 47 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOS Puck View Post
Grifter & Doug: If Creech is ever slow with Duck Faces in the future, just let me know and I'll put duck faces for the member's avatar & signature until Creech can get the award up.
I have seen the face of evil... and it has mod powers...
Old 10-16-2013, 07:44 PM   #7
Grifter Reborn
CET Leader & Mod

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Emerald   Staff - Moderator   CABS Beta Tester   Over Achiever - Bronze   2,500 Posts   Staff Club - Grifter Reborn   Staff - Community and Events Team   x360a Representer   Road Map - Bronze   A+ Thread Award
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Doug View Post
Oh, I just had an evil idea... Why not make it so that when there is a bye round for someone, those are the rounds where no one knows who they're competing against. Keep the luck, but make it so that there are no actual breaks.
I like the sound of that!

Quote:
MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!
Old 10-16-2013, 11:11 PM   #8
Jakez123
That's so cliché

Jakez123's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Bronze   RPG!!! Challenge Club - Tier 3   Road Map - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Subscriber - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   2,500 Posts   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Over Achiever - Gold   Toilet Bowl Challenge Club - Tier 1   Three Lives Remaining - Winner   Staff Club - * Clueless *
Total Awards: 18 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifter Reborn View Post
Well the 3LR tourney is over (finally!) and we're asking y'all to let us know how we did. We hope everyone enjoyed it, but we know that's not always possible. So if you have a few moments to let us know what you did or didn't like, it'd be appreciated. If you have some ideas for improvements, please mention them. Thanks!

A couple of things we are already aware of:

1- The tourney ran longer than we hoped. Ultimately this was a calculated risk with matchups being random. If we had set up traditional brackets, we were guaranteed to run long. There were several scenarios that finished in time, so to give it a chance... Well we took a chance.

2- A suggestion surfaced during the tourney via pm about ideas to increase scoring each round. While we initially discussed scenarios for allowing members to have private profiles, we came up with a much simpler and effective solution:

This could add an extra twist to the tourney.
Well, I'm sure I'm not the only one who agrees, but this tournament was handled a lot better than the first one. So that's one positive. Although as I said in the discussion thread there was still a contradiction between judges, the issue was about whether or not a "maths fail" would constitute to using up your warning. Grifter initially said yes, only for Capn to post "No" a few minutes later, I spotted this blunder and Grifter deleted his post afterwards.
It was a little mistake so don't worry about it, but it was something I saw so maybe you guys should speak together before answering questions when it pertains to the rules.

I don't think there was anything else to be honest.

As for the suggestion above, I dislike it, this tournament was about strategy - When to conserve your games, when to score like a GS whore and judging when it is the right time to lose a life. The "not knowing who you're vsing" element totally removes all strategic elements of the tournament, and it just makes it a mess if I'm honest. Maybe it's because I always like having a strategy and this suggestion rubs me the wrong way lol. I'm glad it wasn't implemented.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:29 PM   #9
xhunterrrr

Hunter XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase XBA Representer   Road Map - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Bronze   5,000 Posts   x360a Representer
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
My problem was I never received a message or anything that sign-ups were taking place. By the time I knew anything about them, they had been long closed.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:23 PM   #10
Lava Tonsil

andydubyew's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Community Gaming - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   Over Achiever - Bronze   XBA Promoter
First off i feel this tournament ran smoothly and worked well, so hats off to everyone involved who played their part, particularly Doug and Grifter.

I do like the idea of making the match ups private, it would change the dynamic of the tournament considerably.
I didn't like the collusion aspect of the tournament where players could choose to not play if they wanted to and essentially help their mates out or give away rounds. I had a couple of rounds where i didn't have much time, so i appreciate that happens, but i still put the effort in to score a decent amount of points and respect the competition.
I also had offers to throw rounds either way which i thought was disappointing.

Timing maybe could have been better ahead of GSL as i guess a few players were holding back their easy games which may have affected it. Perhaps tourneys relating to GS should be planned more for spring time?

Bye rounds are neither here nor there for this tourney format, we knew it would be random so you can't be upset about the way they panned out. Having a random draw always posed that risk and i wouldn't have been moaning if i'd received one!

I feel the tourney being run in PST did bias it towards players in that time zone slightly, as the all important end of rounds were 6am in England and meant it was very unlikely i could compete to the end of the round effectively. Yes, it meant i could likely start earlier but looking at most rounds that's not how it was being played or how it was likely to pan out.

Regarding the overall tournament length having 3 day rounds would have made it a little more snappy and still provided adequate time to score.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhunterrrr View Post
My problem was I never received a message or anything that sign-ups were taking place. By the time I knew anything about them, they had been long closed.
That's a shame, you're set to receive messages about the ambassador program in the current roster thread. Maybe it can be checked if you're on the list properly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakez123 View Post
As for the suggestion above, I dislike it, this tournament was about strategy - When to conserve your games, when to score like a GS whore and judging when it is the right time to lose a life. The "not knowing who you're vsing" element totally removes all strategic elements of the tournament, and it just makes it a mess if I'm honest. Maybe it's because I always like having a strategy and this suggestion rubs me the wrong way lol. I'm glad it wasn't implemented.
It would just be a different type of tournament, unless this was so popular it ran periodically i'd prefer there to be different types of tournament in future.
You just want to keep up the winning streak
Old 10-17-2013, 04:42 PM   #11
xhunterrrr

Hunter XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase XBA Representer   Road Map - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Bronze   5,000 Posts   x360a Representer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lava Tonsil View Post
That's a shame, you're set to receive messages about the ambassador program in the current roster thread. Maybe it can be checked if you're on the list properly?
Yeah. The last Ambassador message I received was about voting for the next tournament.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:15 PM   #12
Grifter Reborn
CET Leader & Mod

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah. The last Ambassador message I received was about voting for the next tournament.
That's my fault. I didn't send a pm to everyone because I hoped they'd read the OP which stated:
Quote:
This poll will close on the 3rd and sign-ups will begin on the 4th.
In any case, in the near future I was going to send out one last PM to those on the list about no more PM's. There's a long list of reasons why that I honestly don't have time to go into this moment, but ultimately there's an alternate method listed in the current roster thread's OP:

Quote:
Once you're in the Ambassador forum, go to "Forum Tools" and select "Subscribe to this Forum". It will ask you for the "Notification Type" that you'd like to have and then simply choose "Add Subscription." You can then directly access this forum and see new posts from your "User CP."
One of the notification types will send you emails for new posts or threads, which is pretty handy IMO.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:58 PM   #13
Skorpion XBA
Brick Breaker

Skorpion XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 3   2,500 Posts   I Can Read! NTSC-J Challenge Club - Tier 1   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Gold   Road Map - Gold   Green Thumb - Platinum   Staff Club - Tyger7   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   Achievement Guide - Silver
Total Awards: 34 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifter Reborn View Post
That's my fault. I didn't send a pm to everyone because I hoped they'd read the OP which stated:

In any case, in the near future I was going to send out one last PM to those on the list about no more PM's. There's a long list of reasons why that I honestly don't have time to go into this moment, but ultimately there's an alternate method listed in the current roster thread's OP:

One of the notification types will send you emails for new posts or threads, which is pretty handy IMO.

Not to mention that the sign up thread was up for quite awhile.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:00 PM   #14
Opiate42

Location: Canada, likely stuck in a snowdrift...with no shovel

Opiate42's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Silver   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Submit - Bronze   XBA Promoter   Staff Club - DEG23   Over Achiever - Bronze   5,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
I must say this whole kaboodle has been a blast to lurk on. Had some good chuckles from the discussion thread.

There is soooooooo much evil here. <3

Didn't get my ambassador thingy submitted in time in order to participate but really wish I had. Would have been an early knockout though as I've barely been able to fire up the 360 over the last couple months as much as I used to and duck faces would have abound.

The concept of a blinded competition I think is awesome for a whole other reason, it simply becomes another form of strategy as crapshoots still involve a certain amount of it.

"Hit it"
Old 10-17-2013, 06:29 PM   #15
dakisbac

Send a message via Skype™ to dakisbac

Mister Dak's Gamercard

Awards Showcase VGO Gold Medal   Achievement Guide - Silver   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   CABS Beta Tester   Community Gaming - Silver   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - Minty   Ambassador 1x1 Competition - Third Place   Staff Club - dakisbac   Staff Club - * Clueless *   Staff Club - AOS Puck
Total Awards: 22 (more» ...)
Personally speaking, I'm not a fan of random matchups.

I think the people winning should be playing the other people winning, or in other words people with the same number of lives remaining. That way progress is made so that we don't have a bunch of people with 3LR 6 rounds in.

Example setup (16 players):

Spoiler! (click here to reveal)
Old 10-17-2013, 06:48 PM   #16
AOS Puck

AOS Puck's Gamercard

Awards Showcase CABS Beta Tester   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - Grifter Reborn   2,500 Posts   Staff/Subscriber Last Man Standing - Third Place   Staff Club - DeekBoy   Staff Club - * Clueless *   Staff Club - AOS Puck   XBA Promoter   Arcade Crazy - Silver   Over Achiever - Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakisbac View Post
Personally speaking, I'm not a fan of random matchups.

I think the people winning should be playing the other people winning, or in other words people with the same number of lives remaining. That way progress is made so that we don't have a bunch of people with 3LR 6 rounds in.

Example setup (16 players):

Spoiler! (click here to reveal)
Grifter & I actually talked about a bracket system but he thought it would take longer to run (it could've end up around the same amount of rounds).

Here is an example of what the bracket would look like:
http://printyourbrackets.com/triple-...-16-teams.html

Last edited by AOS Puck; 10-17-2013 at 06:59 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:32 PM   #17
Grifter Reborn
CET Leader & Mod

I appreciate the info so far.

Of course, if there's different versions of 3LR members would like to see (regular, blind byes, all rounds blind, bracketed, etc.) we could always have the different versions available for vote before the next ambassador tourney to determine which one is used. Just a thought.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:41 PM   #18
Spanish Assault

Send a message via Skype™ to Spanish Assault

Spanish Assault's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Gold   Micro Guide - Bronze   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   10,000 posts   Over Achiever - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Total Awards: 7 (more» ...)
Make the next one a racing game....make a small season of races and then a playoff system.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:46 PM   #19
Jakez123
That's so cliché

Jakez123's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Bronze   RPG!!! Challenge Club - Tier 3   Road Map - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Subscriber - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   2,500 Posts   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Over Achiever - Gold   Toilet Bowl Challenge Club - Tier 1   Three Lives Remaining - Winner   Staff Club - * Clueless *
Total Awards: 18 (more» ...)
Or a FPS tournament, that would be good. With losers brackets, that way you can lose once and still get first place.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:09 PM   #20
AOS Puck

AOS Puck's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmona25 View Post
Make the next one a racing game....make a small season of races and then a playoff system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakez123 View Post
Or a FPS tournament, that would be good. With losers brackets, that way you can lose once and still get first place.
One of the problems with limiting tournaments to one game/one genre is you divide the Ambassadors and get less interest. That is why we stopped doing tournaments on the site for so long.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:05 PM   #21
Spanish Assault

Send a message via Skype™ to Spanish Assault

Spanish Assault's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Gold   Micro Guide - Bronze   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   10,000 posts   Over Achiever - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Total Awards: 7 (more» ...)
Quote:
One of the problems with limiting tournaments to one game/one genre is you divide the Ambassadors and get less interest. That is why we stopped doing tournaments on the site for so long.
yeah....but racing is fun.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:47 PM   #22
Grifter Reborn
CET Leader & Mod

Just wanted to thank everyone for their feedback!

All of these ideas will receive careful consideration in future tourneys, so we appreciate you taking the time. In turn, we plan on a really big tourney that the ambassadors will be a part of... Perhaps sometime in April.
Closed Thread