PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password
 

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Main Hub > Discussion Boards > Games
Subscribe    Donate

View Poll Results: Best Assassin's Creed this gen?
Assassin's Creed 12 19.05%
Assassin's Creed 2 38 60.32%
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood 12 19.05%
Assassin's Creed: Revelations 6 9.52%
Assassin's Creed III 3 4.76%
I love them all. 6 9.52%
I hate them all. 3 4.76%
I've never played Assassin's Creed. 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2013, 09:37 PM   #31
Spanish Assault
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 12,521
Send a message via Skype™ to Spanish Assault

Spanish Assault's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Gold   Micro Guide - Bronze   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   10,000 posts   Over Achiever - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Total Awards: 7 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B A R 4 D View Post
I voted III.

Although 2, Revelations & 3 are all amazing, The first one was great, Brotherhood was Ok. Black Flag is going to steal the show.
I don't like you anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Slaugh7er View Post
Those and the Den Defences sucked. My only gripes with it. If those didn't exist, Revelations would be my favorite.

EDIT: Let's not forget those dumbass full sync objectives!
Den defences were easy once you mastered an assassin. Assign him to the den and once you overtook that Den is never fell again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenderPowguin View Post
I'd have to say two completely blows them all out of the water.

I was so engrossed in the story, and gameplay that even the collectable achievement was fun.

Also, it's the only one I've played,
Play all of them except 3....while it was ok, it's the weakest of the games storywise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodring View Post
Honestly, I don't know what you're smoking if you say anything but AC2.

Best soundtrack of any game ever created (in my opinion - Ezio's Family has been my favorite song since I was 12), near flawless gameplay and in my opinion the most fluid free-running, and a compelling storyline. Achievements were actually a joy to earn and the puzzles were challenging but explored the lore properly for the first time.

Now that the praise for 2 is out of the way, here's my reasons why the others were not the best:

AC: B: Another fluid game running off of the same exact engine AC2 utilized, improved visuals and a similar soundtrack. A nice sequal that included multiplayer for the first time. A few welcomed innovations to AC2's formula, but definitely didn't stray as far as it could; if Ubisoft had gave it the proper 3 years of development time 2 had, it would have been on par with 2. However... basically AC2.5

AC: R: Ezio embarks to a new environment, which is a nice change. However, Jesper Kyd's soundtrack is muted, and forced. Not his best work; instead, Lorne Balf's music took center stage in the multiplayer to get players used to the different vibe. As with Brotherhood, the shorter dev time led to more bugs, and not as fluid gameplay. Bomb crafting system was interesting, but barely useful and nothing more than a gimmick; other innovations such as the hookblade were well-integrated but not as major as they could have been.

AC III: Here we go: new engine, new setting, new protagonist. Truly a cornerstone in the franchise, correct? Wrong. The game's graphics are impressive for the hardware behind them, but the blood splatter looks like jelly and there have been framerate drops in menus. Gameplay is solid, combat is simple and free-running is strong despite the new engine, which is good. However, just as Brotherhood and Revelations before it, the short dev time caused bugs and ruggedness (they say 3 years but planning and brainstorming while actually crafting Revelations is not 3 years) and the biggest introductions to the series (namely hunting and naval warfare) are cut short to keep quality high. The MP this time around is as solid as it's ever been and is actually nothing to laugh at. As for plot, the 3 whole sequences dedicated to Haytham gives a rocky start, and even then Connor's actor feels forced and the character is unrelatable. If Ubisoft had not tried to do so much in 2 years III would have been a fantastic game. (I do have to say Desmond kinda looks like a monkey in III)

The original Assassin's Creed was not included because it was more a pioneer title that didn't know what it was doing just yet. Solid for what it tried to do though.
You are my new best friend. What they did to the series with AC3 and soon to be HUGE DISSAPOINMENT AC4 is a disgrace. I agree that development time were cut down and also with MP being added that took away from development on SP.

Agree with the first AC, it doesn't compare to 2 but cocept wise it's amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar Archon View Post
AC 1 is by far my favorite. Probably won't bother with 4 since 3 sucked and I am at the point where I can only play the same reskinned game so many times before I've had enough already.
Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B A R 4 D View Post
READ THE FIRST REPLY ASSHOLE

<3
Still do not like you anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balloonhead View Post
II, III, and Revelations in that order. Yes, unlike most people I enjoyed 3. -1 is overrated, in my opinion.
-2 is one of my favorite games ever and is the only one that is still fun to play after doing everything.
-Brotherhood is just there.
-Revelations was alright but the ending is AMAZING. Deserves more praise.
-III was glitch and completely different, but for someone who has been playing AC since 2's launch, it was worth the wait and, just like 2, had the most improvements.

With that said, I currently have little interest for ACIV. I'll just wait for the reviews, which will probably be really good according to people who've played it at events.
Not sure who III was an improvment over II...cause it wasn't. Connor was boring and the plot was un-interesting which was NOT the case for II.

Last edited by Spanish Assault; 10-22-2013 at 09:40 PM.
Spanish Assault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:54 PM   #32
Dante Kasai
The Devil Hunter
 
Dante Kasai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Fortuna
Posts: 1,096
Send a message via Skype™ to Dante Kasai

Dante Kasai's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Subscriber - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   Staff Club - * Clueless *   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 1
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmona25 View Post
You are my new best friend. What they did to the series with AC3 and soon to be HUGE DISSAPOINMENT AC4 is a disgrace. I agree that development time were cut down and also with MP being added that took away from development on SP.
I've played every major title to date, and am a huge fan of the franchise (if you hadn't noticed). AC II was actually my first 360 game and it gave me the reason to fully go 7th gen in the first place.

If most of the games coming out today had a proper three years of dev time they'd all play a lot more beautifully. Look at Halo: 3 years between each title and each plays like a dream.

As for AC IV... I don't even know what they're doing with the plot anymore. It's literally just milking a popular franchise to keep the company above the red. Assassin's Creed should've stopped after III, which they said they would do. I remember the lead designer for AC specifically saying the series was meant to be a trilogy and that's it. Shame.
__________________
My Name is Dante
Devil Hunter Extraordinaire


Gamertag: Dante Kasai
Total Gamerscore: 47590
Completion Percentage: 95.52%
Retail Completions: 35
Arcade Completions: 6
Achievements Earned: 2283
Dante Kasai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:29 PM   #33
BiggD
Phantasmagorical Beast
 
BiggD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 11,632

BiggDope's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Emerald   Road Map - Silver   Achievement Guide - Silver   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   CABS Beta Tester   10,000 posts   Subscriber - Bronze   Micro Guide - Diamond   XBA Promoter   A+ Thread Award   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 11 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B A R 4 D View Post
READ THE FIRST REPLY ASSHOLE

<3
Dude </3 I loved you...
__________________

Thanks to XeroFox for the awesome signature <3

Borderlands 2 | XBA Blog
BiggD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:34 PM   #34
LickableLemons7
 
LickableLemons7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: 8-bit heaven
Posts: 3,586

SublimeThugLife's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - DEG23   Micro Guide - Bronze   Staff Club - DeekBoy   Submit - Bronze   2,500 Posts   XBA Promoter   Staff Club - * Clueless *   Over Achiever - Bronze
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodring View Post
If most of the games coming out today had a proper three years of dev time they'd all play a lot more beautifully. Look at Halo: 3 years between each title and each plays like a dream.
Well, if you look at the original Halo trilogy, then yes. But that doesn't mean that three year developments are perfect. Bungie still had to cut out plenty of things from Halo 2 in order to meet deadlines, and plenty of content that was cut may have enhanced the overall story between Halo 2's and 3's campaign.

Then there's Wars (developed by Ensemble and a completely different genre of game) and ODST, both released in '09. Reach in '10. Combat Evolved Anniversary in '11. And 4 in '12. Not to mention Spartan Assault and a GOTY rerelease of Halo 4 this year.

On topic with Assassin's Creed, I've only touched the first two, Brotherhood, and some dumb DS game and a port of Assassin's Creed: Altair's Chronicles on the Windows Phone 7.

Altair's Chronicles was shit. Easily the worst AC game ever of all time. Some of the most infuriating platforming I've ever dealt with in any game. The clutter of in game icons on the LG Quantum's interface doesn't help either.

In regards to the console titles, I couldn't get into the first one no matter how hard I tried. I only have some 300 gamerscore in it and I don't intend on going back. It feels so clunky and dated as compared to the fluidity of movement in the later Creeds. AC2 was incredible at first, but after recently going back to replay it, it doesn't seem as strong as it once was. The soundtrack is fine and the story can keep one interested but the controls feel so annoying with how you have to hold both the right trigger and the a button when running and climbing.

So while I don't think any Creed game is particularly strong and I won't vote on what I think is best I'm still excited for Black Flag. The golden age of pirates should make for an interesting target of historical fiction and the swiftness and brutality of the combat should get my blood pumping.
__________________
LickableLemons7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:47 PM   #35
BiggD
Phantasmagorical Beast
 
BiggD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 11,632

BiggDope's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Emerald   Road Map - Silver   Achievement Guide - Silver   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   CABS Beta Tester   10,000 posts   Subscriber - Bronze   Micro Guide - Diamond   XBA Promoter   A+ Thread Award   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 11 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodring View Post
If most of the games coming out today had a proper three years of dev time they'd all play a lot more beautifully. Look at Halo: 3 years between each title and each plays like a dream.
Eh, not really. ACIII was in development for 3 years and Black Flag for 2. A lot of people overlook this just because they come out annually.

Either way, I know what you mean. I think three years should be the standard minimum of game development with 5 years being ideal. Sure 5 years is a long time, but who wants to play a mediocre game?

Plus, while the original Halo trilogy is surely amazing, Halo 3 was SO weak compared to the first two because it was still rushed, despite taking three years to release.
__________________

Thanks to XeroFox for the awesome signature <3

Borderlands 2 | XBA Blog
BiggD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:30 PM   #36
Barad
Reading 50 Shades of Grey
 
Barad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bristol, England Occupation: Student
Posts: 20,721
Send a message via Skype™ to Barad

Barad XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Gold   Donator - Level 2   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer   Staff Club - troy0891   Micro Guide - Silver   Road Map - Platinum   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Submit - Diamond   Achievement Guide - Gold   15,000 Posts
Total Awards: 18 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmona25 View Post
I don't like you anymore.

Still do not like you anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggD View Post
Dude </3 I loved you...
Can't stop loving me that easily.

AC III is brilliant, but I do prefer II..I don't know why I voted III lol I recently finished it and quite proud.
__________________
PIMPIN'
ALL. DAY. LONG.

**Work of Jardinho**
Barad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:41 PM   #37
Dante Kasai
The Devil Hunter
 
Dante Kasai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Fortuna
Posts: 1,096
Send a message via Skype™ to Dante Kasai

Dante Kasai's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Subscriber - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   Staff Club - * Clueless *   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 1
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LickableLemons7 View Post
Well, if you look at the original Halo trilogy, then yes. But that doesn't mean that three year developments are perfect. Bungie still had to cut out plenty of things from Halo 2 in order to meet deadlines, and plenty of content that was cut may have enhanced the overall story between Halo 2's and 3's campaign.

Then there's Wars (developed by Ensemble and a completely different genre of game) and ODST, both released in '09. Reach in '10. Combat Evolved Anniversary in '11. And 4 in '12. Not to mention Spartan Assault and a GOTY rerelease of Halo 4 this year.

On topic with Assassin's Creed, I've only touched the first two, Brotherhood, and some dumb DS game and a port of Assassin's Creed: Altair's Chronicles on the Windows Phone 7.

Altair's Chronicles was shit. Easily the worst AC game ever of all time. Some of the most infuriating platforming I've ever dealt with in any game. The clutter of in game icons on the LG Quantum's interface doesn't help either.

In regards to the console titles, I couldn't get into the first one no matter how hard I tried. I only have some 300 gamerscore in it and I don't intend on going back. It feels so clunky and dated as compared to the fluidity of movement in the later Creeds. AC2 was incredible at first, but after recently going back to replay it, it doesn't seem as strong as it once was. The soundtrack is fine and the story can keep one interested but the controls feel so annoying with how you have to hold both the right trigger and the a button when running and climbing.

So while I don't think any Creed game is particularly strong and I won't vote on what I think is best I'm still excited for Black Flag. The golden age of pirates should make for an interesting target of historical fiction and the swiftness and brutality of the combat should get my blood pumping.
By no means is it perfect, but there would be a massive improvement to released games on launch. Also, 343 managed to make Halo 4 smooth enough even with Halo: CEA right behind it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggD
ACIII was in development for 3 years
Lol no it wasn't. They just said that to make it seem they really put their all into it. They may have officially started project AC III three years prior but there was no actual work done, hence the cacophony of bugs and unrefined portions at launch.
__________________
My Name is Dante
Devil Hunter Extraordinaire


Gamertag: Dante Kasai
Total Gamerscore: 47590
Completion Percentage: 95.52%
Retail Completions: 35
Arcade Completions: 6
Achievements Earned: 2283
Dante Kasai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:59 PM   #38
Spanish Assault
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 12,521
Send a message via Skype™ to Spanish Assault

Spanish Assault's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Gold   Micro Guide - Bronze   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   10,000 posts   Over Achiever - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Total Awards: 7 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodring View Post
I've played every major title to date, and am a huge fan of the franchise (if you hadn't noticed). AC II was actually my first 360 game and it gave me the reason to fully go 7th gen in the first place.

If most of the games coming out today had a proper three years of dev time they'd all play a lot more beautifully. Look at Halo: 3 years between each title and each plays like a dream.

As for AC IV... I don't even know what they're doing with the plot anymore. It's literally just milking a popular franchise to keep the company above the red. Assassin's Creed should've stopped after III, which they said they would do. I remember the lead designer for AC specifically saying the series was meant to be a trilogy and that's it. Shame.
I was starting to think I was going crazy....it's good to see someone else on the same page as me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggD View Post
Eh, not really. ACIII was in development for 3 years and Black Flag for 2. A lot of people overlook this just because they come out annually.
Lets say this is true, the other issue is forcing MP into the series. By having a MP, that takes away from the single player campaign. Even if there are 2 "teams" working on every other title, it still takes away from the series by flooding the maket with shit concepts and wrapping "Assassin Creed" around it. Just to try and milk one of the greatest franchises of all time.

Imagine if Halo spit out random shit titles and wrapped them in the Halo Brand:

Halo 5: The Grunts Beginning - The story of how the grunts were converted to the covenant.

Halo 6: Special Delivery - You play as a captain of a space vessel delivering supplies to different NTSC bases.

This is what ubisoft is doing to this series....it sucks when you want a new Assassin game and instead they try and pawn shit off to you. "but look how open the ocean world is", "It still has awesome stealth pirate action"

Go FUCK yourself. I don't want a fucking pirate game. I want you to stick to what worked for the first two games Ubisoft.

Last edited by Spanish Assault; 10-23-2013 at 12:02 AM.
Spanish Assault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:15 AM   #39
Dante Kasai
The Devil Hunter
 
Dante Kasai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Fortuna
Posts: 1,096
Send a message via Skype™ to Dante Kasai

Dante Kasai's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Subscriber - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   Staff Club - * Clueless *   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 1
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmona25 View Post
Imagine if Halo spit out random shit titles and wrapped them in the Halo Brand:

Halo 5: The Grunts Beginning - The story of how the grunts were converted to the covenant.

Halo 6: Special Delivery - You play as a captain of a space vessel delivering supplies to different NTSC bases.
Actually that process has already started. First ODST (while certainly not bad... why? Playing as a regular old human when you could be playing as a Spartan?), then Halo Wars (basically any other top-down strategy game like it but with Halo) and now 343's pushing it to the max. Spartan Assault for mobile? C'mon. They won't even admit Halo 5 is going to be called Halo 5.
__________________
My Name is Dante
Devil Hunter Extraordinaire


Gamertag: Dante Kasai
Total Gamerscore: 47590
Completion Percentage: 95.52%
Retail Completions: 35
Arcade Completions: 6
Achievements Earned: 2283
Dante Kasai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:32 AM   #40
Spanish Assault
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 12,521
Send a message via Skype™ to Spanish Assault

Spanish Assault's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Gold   Micro Guide - Bronze   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   10,000 posts   Over Achiever - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Total Awards: 7 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodring View Post
Actually that process has already started. First ODST (while certainly not bad... why? Playing as a regular old human when you could be playing as a Spartan?), then Halo Wars (basically any other top-down strategy game like it but with Halo) and now 343's pushing it to the max. Spartan Assault for mobile? C'mon. They won't even admit Halo 5 is going to be called Halo 5.
Well ODST tied into Halo 3. Also Orbital Drop Shock Troopers were anything but "regular old humans", they were last line of defense...the best of the best.

I am NOT a RTS fan, but Halo Wars was well done. It was nice being apart of early battles against the covenant. Bottomline those two titles belonged in the series. They weren't trying to be halo 4.

Besides Halo Wars was released 2 years after Halo 3 and was meant to support the series, not replace Halo 4. ODST was released a year later and while it did sponge off of Halo 3 success, it still didn't try to replace Halo 4. It gave us a different perceptive on the series with out going way off the farm like AC3 and soon to be $19.99 AC4.
Spanish Assault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:56 AM   #41
JORDAN K 95
 
JORDAN K 95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Chester, England, U.K
Posts: 3,866
Send a message via Skype™ to JORDAN K 95

JORDAN K 95's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
2 brotherhood and revelations. these are how assassins creed games should be.

not set in the Caribbean islands or boston.

i want to climb buildings not rocks and trees!
__________________

Thanks for the sig Gackt



BF4 RANK:
JORDAN K 95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:00 AM   #42
BiggD
Phantasmagorical Beast
 
BiggD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 11,632

BiggDope's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Emerald   Road Map - Silver   Achievement Guide - Silver   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   CABS Beta Tester   10,000 posts   Subscriber - Bronze   Micro Guide - Diamond   XBA Promoter   A+ Thread Award   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 11 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodring View Post
Lol no it wasn't. They just said that to make it seem they really put their all into it. They may have officially started project AC III three years prior but there was no actual work done, hence the cacophony of bugs and unrefined portions at launch.
Every game has bugs...I won't even begin to get into that discussion.

Uhm. Okay, ignore the facts just like everyone else.

http://www.nowgamer.com/features/132...interview.html

http://kotaku.com/5896386/50-things-...ou-should-know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmona25 View Post
Lets say this is true, the other issue is forcing MP into the series. By having a MP, that takes away from the single player campaign. Even if there are 2 "teams" working on every other title, it still takes away from the series by flooding the maket with shit concepts and wrapping "Assassin Creed" around it. Just to try and milk one of the greatest franchises of all time.

Go FUCK yourself. I don't want a fucking pirate game. I want you to stick to what worked for the first two games Ubisoft.
I say don't even give them a penny and avoid the game completely. Every company adds MP to a Single Player game though. You can blame Ubi, but at the end of the day, almost all developers are victim to this "sin" as we like to call it. I'm not so much bothered by the Multiplayer as I am with their decision in continuing a franchise that does not need to be extended past what has already been released.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodring View Post
C'mon. They won't even admit Halo 5 is going to be called Halo 5.
Again, no.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com...called-halo-5/
__________________

Thanks to XeroFox for the awesome signature <3

Borderlands 2 | XBA Blog

Last edited by BiggD; 10-23-2013 at 03:28 AM.
BiggD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:00 AM   #43
Barad
Reading 50 Shades of Grey
 
Barad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bristol, England Occupation: Student
Posts: 20,721
Send a message via Skype™ to Barad

Barad XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Gold   Donator - Level 2   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer   Staff Club - troy0891   Micro Guide - Silver   Road Map - Platinum   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Submit - Diamond   Achievement Guide - Gold   15,000 Posts
Total Awards: 18 (more» ...)
Brilliant AC III got a second vote.
__________________
PIMPIN'
ALL. DAY. LONG.

**Work of Jardinho**
Barad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:46 AM   #44
weezleram
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 66

Weezleram's Gamercard
I think they peaked at Brotherhood, though I didn't hate AC3 like many others did. I'm glad to see them not continuing to do sequels with the same assassin anymore. By the way, you forgot Assassin's Creed on the Windows Phone. That was perhaps one of the worst games I've EVER played. It was free and still not worth it.
__________________
weezleram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:25 AM   #45
Fragarach Luin
 
Fragarach Luin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Johnson City, TN, USA
Posts: 654

Jacob Ulysses's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Silver   Community Gaming - Bronze   Staff Club - DEG23   Staff Club - DeekBoy
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
I thought about voting for 3, just to be an ass. But frankly, I just don't care that much. To me, the Assassin's Creed series just isn't as great as everybody else thinks. It makes me wonder what I'm missing out on. To me, it's always been a reskinned Sly Cooper with more collectibles, less varied gameplay, and too much ego.
I dearly love Jesper Kyd. But the music he did in Assassin's Creed is not up to his usual par. It's too novel, as though he were forced to perfectly match setting pieces to all the music that's been before (give Jerusalem a listen). In Assassin's Creed II, he made the soundtrack equivalent of pop music. "Earth" is almost nothing but hooks layered over the same repetitive beat.
I keep hearing people nitpick on 3 because it's the cool thing to do, but I still haven't heard a convincing argument for why it's worse than the others. Connor's an asshole? So was Altair, until the last half hour of his game when he magically became enlightened. Ezio was basically Luke Skywalker the entirety of AC2, until he was suddenly an old man who stretched my disbelief by remaining at an Olympic level of fitness in the following games. AC3 had decent puzzles, like 2, and different gameplay mechanics that kept me interested (and infuriated). But you're right--I forgot that the blood spatter wasn't photorealistic. Now I understand why 3 was a "festering carcass."
People joke about the fanboy culture surrounding games like Halo and CoD, but it's the Assassin's Creed fanatics that have always mystified me. I'll be the first to say that I loved the games, and have always been glad that I played them. When I put an AC game into my console, I know I'm going to have fun. But they're not profound, and they're not revolutionary. Everything they do has been done before, and nothing they have to say is worth taking seriously. A friend of mine just named her newborn son Ezio, for the love of God. SHE'S IRISH. When I asked her why, she told me "Because nothing is true, everything is permitted," and smiled a little, like she had just told some great secret, instead of spouting a ridiculous mantra more meaningless than "YOLO."
Rant over.

tl;dr: Want a real adventure? Go read The Count of Monte Cristo.
__________________

Last edited by Fragarach Luin; 11-02-2013 at 02:04 AM.
Fragarach Luin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:42 AM   #46
Spanish Assault
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 12,521
Send a message via Skype™ to Spanish Assault

Spanish Assault's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Gold   Micro Guide - Bronze   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   10,000 posts   Over Achiever - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Total Awards: 7 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragarach Luin View Post
I thought about voting for 3, just to be an ass. But frankly, I just don't care that much. To me, the Assassin's Creed series just isn't as great as everybody else thinks. It makes me wonder what I'm missing out on. To me, it's always been a reskinned Sly Cooper with more collectibles, less varied gameplay, and too much ego.
I dearly love Jesper Kyd. But the music he did in Assassin's Creed is not up to his usual par. It's too novel, as though he were forced to perfectly match setting pieces to all the music that's been before (give Jerusalem a listen). In Assassin's Creed, he made the soundtrack equivalent of pop music. "Earth" is almost nothing but hooks layered over the same repetitive beat.
I keep hearing people nitpick on 3 because it's the cool thing to do, but I still haven't heard a convincing argument for why it's worse than the others. Connor's an asshole? So was Altair, until the last half hour of his game when he magically became enlightened. Ezio was basically Luke Skywalker the entirety of AC2, until he was suddenly an old man who stretched my disbelief by remaining at an Olympic level of fitness in the following games. AC3 had decent puzzles, like 2, and different gameplay mechanics that kept me interested (and infuriated). But you're right--I forgot that the blood spatter wasn't photorealistic. Now I understand why 3 was a "festering carcass."
People joke about the fanboy culture surrounding games like Halo and CoD, but it's the Assassin's Creed fanatics that have always mystified me. I'll be the first to say that I loved the games, and have always been glad that I played them. When I put an AC game into my console, I know I'm going to have fun. But they're not profound, and they're not revolutionary. Everything they do has been done before, and nothing they have to say is worth taking seriously. A friend of mine just named her newborn son Ezio, for the love of God. SHE'S IRISH. When I asked her why, she told me "Because nothing is true, everything is permitted," and smiled a little, like she had just told some great secret, instead of spouting a ridiculous mantra more meaningless than "YOLO."
Rant over.

tl;dr: Want a real adventure? Go read The Count of Monte Cristo.
Isn't more hip to just hate on the whole series and the mention some old game being better?
Spanish Assault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:46 AM   #47
Burnout x360a
 
Burnout x360a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Surrey, United Kingdom
Posts: 7,477

M1KE 08's Gamercard

Awards Showcase XBA Promoter   Submit - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   5,000 Posts
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
AC2. Tempted to put Brotherhood but that's just bias as my favourite
__________________


^ By Xerofox, thanks!
Twitter lSteam

Burnout x360a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:08 AM   #48
Fragarach Luin
 
Fragarach Luin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Johnson City, TN, USA
Posts: 654

Jacob Ulysses's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Silver   Community Gaming - Bronze   Staff Club - DEG23   Staff Club - DeekBoy
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanish Assault View Post
Isn't more hip to just hate on the whole series and the mention some old game being better?
You are completely correct. But you and I are adults; we'll never be hip. So we might as well be honest. You don't think that I would have collected all those damn flags if I wasn't having fun, do you? I didn't mean to argue that the Assassin's Creed games are bad, just that they're maybe not the pinnacle of art and gaming that some make them out to be.
And you're not a bad person for liking them. I meant everything I said, but far be it from me to judge someone else because of their taste in entertainment. I'm just a little bit tired of people stumbling upon something better than the usual, and praising it too much because it's the best they've experienced. Remember The Matrix, and how everybody thought it was the most profound thing they'd ever experienced? That movie may as well have been titled "I Read a Philosophy Book Once." It seems to me that Assassin's Creed has a similar effect.

...Seiken Densetsu 4 was better though, by the way. It's old, obscure, AND Japanese. That's an unbeatable combination of hipness. So either way you have it, I win.
Because everyone knows that RPGs are totally comparable to action/platformers.
__________________

Last edited by Fragarach Luin; 10-30-2013 at 02:10 AM.
Fragarach Luin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:29 AM   #49
Dante Kasai
The Devil Hunter
 
Dante Kasai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Fortuna
Posts: 1,096
Send a message via Skype™ to Dante Kasai

Dante Kasai's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Subscriber - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   Staff Club - * Clueless *   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 1
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanish Assault View Post
Well ODST tied into Halo 3. Also Orbital Drop Shock Troopers were anything but "regular old humans", they were last line of defense...the best of the best.

I am NOT a RTS fan, but Halo Wars was well done. It was nice being apart of early battles against the covenant. Bottomline those two titles belonged in the series. They weren't trying to be halo 4.

Besides Halo Wars was released 2 years after Halo 3 and was meant to support the series, not replace Halo 4. ODST was released a year later and while it did sponge off of Halo 3 success, it still didn't try to replace Halo 4. It gave us a different perceptive on the series with out going way off the farm like AC3 and soon to be $19.99 AC4.
I do like the fact that ODST added a new perspective to the universe, as you said. Never played it though; don't want to hunt down those achievements for more Halo lore. I will have to disagree with you about Halo Wars, though; it did NOT belong. Different company, different style... it's just not right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggD View Post
Every game has bugs...I won't even begin to get into that discussion.

Uhm. Okay, ignore the facts just like everyone else.

http://www.nowgamer.com/features/132...interview.html

http://kotaku.com/5896386/50-things-...ou-should-know

Again, no.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com...called-halo-5/
Dope, lemme tell you somethin.

A. You cannot tell me that the mess that was AC3 at launch was the work of 3 years of dev time. I don't care what the articles say; there are too many confounding variables (and enough solid evidence of how much bullshit was packed into it) to honestly say there was three years given to the title.

B. Most of my information is dated; I never knew 343's next project was confirmed to be simply called Halo 5. I don't have a computer, I use a Kindle tablet to do my internet perusal. So, anything after July news-wise is basically sketchy if it wasn't on this site's news a month later (July marks the death of my PC).

C. I don't ignore facts, I am ignorant of facts, ergo my Halo 5 comment. That statement comes off as rather insulting and I don't appreciate it.
__________________
My Name is Dante
Devil Hunter Extraordinaire


Gamertag: Dante Kasai
Total Gamerscore: 47590
Completion Percentage: 95.52%
Retail Completions: 35
Arcade Completions: 6
Achievements Earned: 2283
Dante Kasai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:56 AM   #50
BiggD
Phantasmagorical Beast
 
BiggD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 11,632

BiggDope's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Emerald   Road Map - Silver   Achievement Guide - Silver   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   CABS Beta Tester   10,000 posts   Subscriber - Bronze   Micro Guide - Diamond   XBA Promoter   A+ Thread Award   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 11 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodring View Post
A. You cannot tell me that the mess that was AC3 at launch was the work of 3 years of dev time. I don't care what the articles say; there are too many confounding variables (and enough solid evidence of how much bullshit was packed into it) to honestly say there was three years given to the title.

B. Most of my information is dated; I never knew 343's next project was confirmed to be simply called Halo 5. I don't have a computer, I use a Kindle tablet to do my internet perusal. So, anything after July news-wise is basically sketchy if it wasn't on this site's news a month later (July marks the death of my PC).

C. I don't ignore facts, I am ignorant of facts, ergo my Halo 5 comment. That statement comes off as rather insulting and I don't appreciate it.
I'm not going to bother anymore on the Assassin Creed point. It's not worth my time.
__________________

Thanks to XeroFox for the awesome signature <3

Borderlands 2 | XBA Blog
BiggD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:13 AM   #51
Dante Kasai
The Devil Hunter
 
Dante Kasai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Fortuna
Posts: 1,096
Send a message via Skype™ to Dante Kasai

Dante Kasai's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Subscriber - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   Staff Club - * Clueless *   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 1
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggD View Post
I'm not going to bother anymore on the Assassin Creed point. It's not worth my time.
Of course not, because "official internet journalism" is always fact and nothing more.

Not that most things on the internet are riddled with intermittent digressions and bias.
__________________
My Name is Dante
Devil Hunter Extraordinaire


Gamertag: Dante Kasai
Total Gamerscore: 47590
Completion Percentage: 95.52%
Retail Completions: 35
Arcade Completions: 6
Achievements Earned: 2283
Dante Kasai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:31 AM   #52
Spanish Assault
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 12,521
Send a message via Skype™ to Spanish Assault

Spanish Assault's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Gold   Micro Guide - Bronze   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   10,000 posts   Over Achiever - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Total Awards: 7 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragarach Luin View Post
You are completely correct. But you and I are adults; we'll never be hip. So we might as well be honest. You don't think that I would have collected all those damn flags if I wasn't having fun, do you? I didn't mean to argue that the Assassin's Creed games are bad, just that they're maybe not the pinnacle of art and gaming that some make them out to be.
And you're not a bad person for liking them. I meant everything I said, but far be it from me to judge someone else because of their taste in entertainment. I'm just a little bit tired of people stumbling upon something better than the usual, and praising it too much because it's the best they've experienced. Remember The Matrix, and how everybody thought it was the most profound thing they'd ever experienced? That movie may as well have been titled "I Read a Philosophy Book Once." It seems to me that Assassin's Creed has a similar effect.

...Seiken Densetsu 4 was better though, by the way. It's old, obscure, AND Japanese. That's an unbeatable combination of hipness. So either way you have it, I win.
Because everyone knows that RPGs are totally comparable to action/platformers.
There is something special with the first Assassins Creed. When I think about what was release during that time there was nothing like it, so it holds a special place in my gaming heart.
Spanish Assault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:41 AM   #53
Fragarach Luin
 
Fragarach Luin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Johnson City, TN, USA
Posts: 654

Jacob Ulysses's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Silver   Community Gaming - Bronze   Staff Club - DEG23   Staff Club - DeekBoy
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanish Assault View Post
There is something special with the first Assassins Creed. When I think about what was release during that time there was nothing like it, so it holds a special place in my gaming heart.
There you go. That's exactly why I'll never say you're wrong for liking it.

I was just reading some old reviews of Seiken Densetsu 4, incidentally, and it's hardly a universally recognized masterpiece. The opinions vary wildly, but a few of the reviews really do bring up legitimate flaws that I can't ignore. Does that mean that it stops being my favorite game? No, of course not. But like you with Assassin's Creed, part of why I love it is rooted in my own, personal experience of it. I remember playing it in co-op with my then-girlfriend back in 2000 (now wife). Of course no other game can compete with that. Fable 3 isn't a good game, but I have incredibly fond memories of my wife playing it while confined to bed in anticipation of having our first baby.

And as for Assassin's Creed...that game, to me, was the first sign that the next generation of consoles had arrived. I have good memories of that game, too.
__________________

Last edited by Fragarach Luin; 10-30-2013 at 04:54 AM.
Fragarach Luin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:21 AM   #54
1001puppys
Dream Until Dawn ♥
 
1001puppys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: The Citadel
Posts: 4,124
Send a message via Skype™ to 1001puppys

x1001x Puppys's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Bronze   Road Map - Bronze   Subscriber - Gold   Submit - Bronze   Staff Club - Shinobi273   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 2   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   CABS Beta Tester   Staff Club - Rajeanero   Staff Club - Minty   Community Gaming - Bronze   Staff Club - Inebriated Jedi
Total Awards: 24 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanish Assault View Post
There is something special with the first Assassins Creed. When I think about what was release during that time there was nothing like it, so it holds a special place in my gaming heart.
I agree. Although I didn't get it at release, I played one and two back to back in late summer 2010. epic games at the time

Not to mention, after 10 billion flags, AC 2 was so much more relaxed.
__________________


[Click Here for my Top 20 Games of the 7th Gen!]

I finally have each unique weapon and shield in Dark Souls II! -----> [Weapon/Shield Album]
1001puppys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:13 AM   #55
Cpt Slaughter
A Personal Contractů
 
Cpt Slaughter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 4,114

Cpt Slaugh7er's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   Subscriber - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1001puppys View Post
I agree. Although I didn't get it at release, I played one and two back to back in late summer 2010. epic games at the time

Not to mention, after 10 billion flags, AC 2 was so much more relaxed.
AC1 was great but AC2 improved in every aspect. This is all subjective.
  • Better story/protagonists
  • Better setting
  • More brutal combat/different weapons to use
  • Better soundtrack
  • Better cutscenes
  • Not repetitive
  • More side activities
  • More relaxed
__________________
My Gallery | XBA Blog

"My Sun...is setting... It's dark.....so dark."

Cpt Slaughter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:02 AM   #56
BiggD
Phantasmagorical Beast
 
BiggD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 11,632

BiggDope's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Emerald   Road Map - Silver   Achievement Guide - Silver   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   CABS Beta Tester   10,000 posts   Subscriber - Bronze   Micro Guide - Diamond   XBA Promoter   A+ Thread Award   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 11 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Slaugh7er View Post
AC1 was great but AC2 improved in every aspect. This is all subjective.
  • Better story/protagonists
  • Better setting
  • More brutal combat/different weapons to use
  • Better soundtrack
  • Better cutscenes
  • Not repetitive
  • More side activities
  • More relaxed
I think a more accurate word would be "stronger" rather than "better."

Assassin's Creed 2 had a strong narrative, a beautiful and memorable setting, improved combat mechanics, and a good cast of characters. That's why it's a good game.

Brotherhood (although my favorite) and Revelations were essentially AC 2.1 and AC 2.2.

ACIII had an ambitious idea, but the ultimately failed to capture what could have been expected of them. A very strong cast...and that's about all it had. Without a doubt, the weakest narrative in an AC game, a forgettable soundtrack, little to no improvements in combat, and very repetitive missions and side quests.

ACIV looks like an "AC 3.1" which is sad. It has a new setting. That's about it.
__________________

Thanks to XeroFox for the awesome signature <3

Borderlands 2 | XBA Blog
BiggD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:28 PM   #57
mosin360
 
mosin360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: IL
Posts: 789

mosin360's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
AC2 was the best for me. It was dang near perfect.
__________________
Videos I made of Xbox games on Windows 8.1 - https://www.youtube.com/user/mosindesire

Last goal met: 200k - Oct 6, 2013

mosin360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:36 PM   #58
vSully
 
vSully's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 421

vSully's Gamercard
I've only played the first two games in this series, and I found the first to be better than the second in every way. I didn't like the second game at all. I thought it was a huge step back graphically and I found the story and characters to be boring and uninteresting. I found the fistfight with the rival family near the beginning to be truly painful and the game didn't get any better IMO.

The first game was great and my only complaint is the absurd amount of flag collectibles.

I stopped after the second game because I have no interest in what i consider crappy, unnecessary multiplayer in fantastic single player franchises.
__________________
My best achievement: Deathsmiles Virtuoso (in 1080p!)
http://www.trueachievements.com/vSully.htm
vSully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:37 PM   #59
Jardinho
 
Jardinho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Liverpool, England Occupation: (Barad's) Pimp
Posts: 1,426

Jardinho's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Silver   Green Thumb - Bronze   1,000 Posts   Submit - Silver   XBA Promoter   GRID 2 Award   Over Achiever - Bronze
Total Awards: 7 (more» ...)
Surprised that nobody's mentioned the "this gen" part of the thread title...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodring View Post
Honestly, I don't know what you're smoking if you say anything but AC2.
This sums it up. Rome and Istanbul were nowhere near as pretty as Florence and Venice.
__________________
PIMPIN'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Stomper View Post
I'd show my primary life-taking asset, but I don't think I can post dildos here.
Jardinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:10 PM   #60
Edword
 
Edword's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Redlands, CA
Posts: 759

Sprinklez88's Gamercard
I've only played the first two games, but out of those I'd say AC2 was better imo.
Edword is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 07:22 AM.