PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Main Hub > Discussion Boards > Games
Subscribe    Donate

View Poll Results: What is your standard of success in achievement hunting?
The amount of Gamerscore, pure and simple 21 29.17%
The completion percentage 19 26.39%
The completion percentage, but only of quality games 16 22.22%
The amount of Gamerscore, but only of quality games 16 22.22%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-30-2013, 04:08 AM   #1
Fragarach Luin

Jacob Ulysses's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   Community Gaming - Bronze   Staff Club - DEG23   Staff Club - DeekBoy
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
What sort of achievement hunter are you?

The more I use this website, the more I realize that different people have different benchmarks for success when it comes to achievement hunting.

There are those who value extremely high gamerscore, regardless of completion percentage or the quality of games played. Avatar: TBE? Check. My Horse and Me 2? Of course. Assassin's Creed 2? Everything but the feathers isn't bad.

Then there's the opposite; people who care less about their total gamerscore, but you'll find nary a game that isn't perfected on their card. These people may or may not play good games, but they become intimately familiar with every one.

And of course, there are the two in-betweener categories. Maybe ease of completion isn't the most important to you when deciding which game to buy, but you know you'll try to complete it. Maybe Gamerscore is very important to you, but not so important that you'll play a pile of crap for it.

So what's the verdict? Is high gamerscore more important than completion percentage? Is this poll worth doing? I know my opinion, and I can tell you now that if every user on this site disagrees with me, it won't mean a hill of beans. But maybe this'll be an interesting discussion.

Anyway, I'm off to keep trying to perfect Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved. It's only 200 , but having that completion is, to me, worth more than 1000 completed Avatars. In case anyone was wondering my opinion.

Last edited by Fragarach Luin; 10-30-2013 at 04:15 AM.
Fragarach Luin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:13 AM   #2
Spade.
Telemiscommunications

Send a message via Skype™ to Spade.

Jacob XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Silver   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Gold   Donator - Level 2   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Staff Club - Minty   Subscriber - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze   Micro Guide - Bronze   Ambassador 1x1 Competition - Second Place
Total Awards: 15 (more» ...)
I have TLA:TBE, Hanna Montana, and My Horse and Me 2 completed.

I also have Dark Souls 1000G. :l:l:l:l
Old 10-30-2013, 04:24 AM   #3
Fragarach Luin

Jacob Ulysses's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   Community Gaming - Bronze   Staff Club - DEG23   Staff Club - DeekBoy
To be honest, I'm less interested in the quality of games completed, since arguing which games are quality will quickly deviate this thread from its purpose. My main question is the Gamerscore versus completion question. Obviously, you're okay with completing objectively bad games for gamerscore, so the latter two options in the poll don't apply to you. The question remains, though, whether you prefer completion or points.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:45 AM   #4
MabusScarab

Mabus Incarnate's Gamercard
I like having a high gamerscore, playing a ton of games, and not caring in the slightest about my completion percent. Mine is somewhere in the 30% range I think but its just a number that doesn't influence whether or not I play a game or finish it.

If theres a game i'm playing that I love and want to continue playing after I beat it, I will do so and go for more achievements. If the game is decent, i'm fine with beating it through on normal or hard and not going any further with 500-700 GS out of it.

Most importantly if its a game I hate, I wont continue playing it and move on, regardless if i've only unlocked a small amount of achievements for it. I think some people forget the entire concept of what gaming it should be, and I will never understand why people buy DLC for games they hate to begin with to maintain a percentage. Or wont play a good game at all because 100% completion is unobtainable.

I game for fun, I play what I enjoy. The gamerscore just comes along the way as I enjoy the many experiences. To each their own, but I personally will never become a completion oriented gamer.
MabusScarab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:07 AM   #5
Slaughter.
Wot r u casul??!??

Cpt Slaugh7er's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Bronze   2,500 Posts   Subscriber - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
I go for the 100% (my OCD takes over lol) for games that I like but if I don't like the game I try to get what I can out of it achievement wise.

I live so much for tomorrow, that there is no now.

Slaughter. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:23 AM   #6
Puppys
Running Save Mode

Send a message via Skype™ to Puppys

x1001x Puppys's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Arcade Crazy - Silver   Off to the Races Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - rekikire   Donator - Level 2   GRID 2 Award   Staff Club - troy0891   Subscriber - Gold   Community Gaming - Silver   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Gold
Total Awards: 36 (more» ...)
Completion for me, its at 98% and I never really expected it to get that high. There was a point where it became solely gamerscore with the intent on finishing every game to 1000, but some of them I just couldn't do. I can't remember all of them, but Batman AA was one that kicked my ass
Old 10-30-2013, 05:37 AM   #7
BitterMelonFarm

BitterMelonFarm's Gamercard
Amount of gamerscore, but completions are certainly great. I want both. I hate games with unobtainable GS but if I can get an easy 850+ from a game, I'll play it. I have a lot of games on my checklist that I need to go back and complete or at least mop up everything I can get. I'd like to have a completion percentage above 80%. My goal right now is to get to 50,000 by the end of 2013. Considering I'm only going to be halfway there with two months left, I doubt I'll reach it, but I didn't even have 1000 total until May, so I've already made a lot of progress since then and especially since I got Gamefly a few weeks ago. Unfortunately I gave up gaming for about two years between summer 2011 and summer 2013 or I'd probably be hovering somewhere around 200,000. Can't believe I wasted all that time, so I'm trying to make up for it now.

Thanks to Cpt Slaugh7er for the sig!
Back after a lengthy hiatus
Latest Completion: South Park: The Stick of Truth
PSN - kingslayer52 (Vita and PS3, PS Plus)

Last edited by BitterMelonFarm; 10-30-2013 at 05:40 AM.
BitterMelonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:38 AM   #8
VitaminAmy

VitaminAmy's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Donator - Level 1   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Silver   Gamer Chick!
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
I used to care more about completion... now I just want to have fun and get gamerscore. Sad to miss out on good games just because they have difficult achievements.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:40 AM   #9
Slaughter.
Wot r u casul??!??

Cpt Slaugh7er's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Bronze   2,500 Posts   Subscriber - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1001puppys View Post
Completion for me, its at 98% and I never really expected it to get that high. There was a point where it became solely gamerscore with the intent on finishing every game to 1000, but some of them I just couldn't do. I can't remember all of them, but Batman AA was one that kicked my ass
Really? You should definitely steer clear of AC and AO. Although awesome, they are tough. I'm a very experienced Arkham player, but I still find some of those predator challenges difficult.

I live so much for tomorrow, that there is no now.

Slaughter. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:54 AM   #10
Death Metal Jim

Death Metal Jim's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - bplayak   Staff Club - Kairi   Staff Club - Yunder   1,000 Posts
Completion for me. The gamerscore is going to build up with each game I complete so I really don't pay too much attention to it. I also tend to avoid playing easy games just to pad my stats, not to mention it would lower my ratio on TrueAchievements.
Death Metal Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:26 AM   #11
Andre16182

Andre16182's Gamercard
I'm the sort of achievement hunter whose standard of success in achievement hunting is the completion percentage.

Avatar & Signature Created By Rajeanero
Andre16182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:48 AM   #12
KillerBEA
Anger Issues

Send a message via Skype™ to KillerBEA

KillerBEA XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Platinum   Donator - Level 2   Staff Club - Madhatters13   Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 1   I Can Read! NTSC-J Challenge Club - Tier 2   Fight Club Challenge Club - Tier 1   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer   Toilet Bowl Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - KillerBEA   I Can Read! NTSC-J Challenge Club - Tier 1   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)
Total Awards: 27 (more» ...)
I fall into a hybrid group.

I am really into making my gamerscore grow to large numbers. Gonna hit 200k in a little over a week and I will just keep going. The amount of time I put into it is what will wain as I will have a growing focus on career/job advancement and college. I will still work on my gamerscore in my spare time, while primarily focusing on games I want to play, like Dark Souls 2 and Dragon Age 3, but will still play easy games for points when I just not nearly as frequently. I do go for tougher/longer completions but those tend to be games I enjoy, like Dark Souls, Gears of War 2 japanese, and Soul Calibur 5.

I primarily care about my gamerscore and my completed game count. As long as my completion % is above 70 I am fine with it, although it has been slowly improving with focusing on completing some games and playing so many easy games. Kinda hoping to hit 200k with 72%, that will be a close call though.

Gamerscore > Completed game count > % >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Number of games played

Last edited by KillerBEA; 10-30-2013 at 06:53 AM.
KillerBEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:52 AM   #13
BiggD
On Hiatus

BiggDope's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Gold   Road Map - Gold   10,000 posts   Submit - Diamond   Micro Guide - Diamond   A+ Thread Award   CABS Beta Tester   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   Donator - Level 2   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal
Total Awards: 16 (more» ...)
I consider the success of achievement hunting by 100% completion percentage of quality games that you actually like (not games you buy because they're just easy).

I only played about 80 games on my old account throughout my 6 years on the Xbox 360 and around 55 were completely maxed out. I was at about a 91% completion rate. That's the way I like it. This account, however, is going all out. Nothing but 100% completions, I tell ya.

I don't buy games based on their achievements. I buy games like I'm extremely interested in and then max them out. Even if it's a grind, I do it.

Like I said, I consider 100% completions to be more satisfying than a high gamerscore, a more significant achievement hunting success and a justification - if necessary - that I got the most out of my money by doing everything the game had to offer.

Thanks to Xerofox for the stunningly sauve signature!

Last edited by BiggD; 10-30-2013 at 06:57 AM.
BiggD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:02 AM   #14
dakisbac

Send a message via Skype™ to dakisbac

Mister Dak's Gamercard

Awards Showcase VGO Gold Medal   Achievement Guide - Silver   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   CABS Beta Tester   Community Gaming - Silver   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - Minty   Ambassador 1x1 Competition - Third Place   Staff Club - dakisbac   Staff Club - * Clueless *   Staff Club - AOS Puck
Total Awards: 22 (more» ...)
The primary goal is getting 100% in my games, but I have played games (and still occasionally play games) just for gamerscore.

I think it's fair to say that although I have my share of easy games, my tougher completions more than make up for it. I don't think you're going to find anyone else who has completed all of the Gears of War games (except Judgement), almost all of the Guitar Hero games, and assorted titles such as DDR Universe, Dead or Alive 4, GRAW, and Kane and Lynch
dakisbac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:15 AM   #15
McGoogles

Ratify's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - * Clueless *   Staff Club - Grifter Reborn   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   5,000 Posts   Over Achiever - Silver   Staff Club - DEG23   XBA Promoter   Submit - Silver
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
I'm a completionist. Unlocking all of the achievements for a game feels much more satisfying to me than getting only 700 points or so then tossing it aside. Plus, I get more bang for my buck by getting all possible achievements.
Latest arcade completion: Warface

McGoogles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:33 AM   #16
Nissa Hunter

Nissa Hunter's Gamercard
I'm always trying to get all achievements from games I play, but I'll never buy/rent/borrow a game i don't like just for easy achievements

Nissa Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:08 AM   #17
Skorpion XBA
さそり XBA

Skorpion XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 3   2,500 Posts   I Can Read! NTSC-J Challenge Club - Tier 1   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Gold   Road Map - Gold   Green Thumb - Platinum   Staff Club - Tyger7   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   Achievement Guide - Silver
Total Awards: 34 (more» ...)
I go for gamerscore and not too worried about percentage. I often go back to games I've started that either bored me or frustrated me to rack up some more points. Some games I say to hell with and never return to. It all depends.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:46 PM   #18
sicklyplague

SicklyPlague's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 1   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 1   Over Achiever - Bronze   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Community Gaming - Bronze   XBA Promoter   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 9 (more» ...)
Gamerscore in quality games for me. Id love to call myself a completionist but considering i have 90 games played and only 10 retail completions id feel like id be lying to myself.

Thanks to MabusScarab for the Sig!
sicklyplague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:50 PM   #19
BoboMcGraw

stevieknix's Gamercard
I like having more gamerscore, but I also like to have completed titles. I try to get at least half the achievements in a game, if I can.
BoboMcGraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:22 PM   #20
Barad
High on Life

Send a message via Skype™ to Barad

Barad XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Platinum   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Bronze   Road Map - Emerald   Achievement Guide - Platinum   Donator - Level 2   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer   Staff Club - troy0891
Total Awards: 22 (more» ...)
I want to maintain an overall completion of 80%, so I naturally I try to 100% every game I can. Gamerscore is slightly more important for me but I don't like grinding out lots of shitty games in one go. Slow & steady gaming.

---
10,000 Achievements - 13 July 2014

Barad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:32 PM   #21
Oryhara

CO Oryhara's Gamercard
I try to complete any of the games I have, but any I buy are for those that I like, not for those which are easy to complete. Ironically those I do buy seem to be quite difficult to complete fully.

Send me a message if you can help with the following;
Gears of War 3
Streets of Rage 2
Black Ops 1 & 2

Currently Working on the Gears of War 3 Campaign
Oryhara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:38 PM   #22
Delta3519

Delta3519's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 2   Staff Club - AOS Puck   Subscriber - Silver   Staff Club - troy0891   Submit - Bronze   XBA Promoter
Total Awards: 6 (more» ...)
Completion for the most part, all though I am trying to get my score as high as I can as well

Don't use ad blockers on this site please
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy0891 x360a
The fact that the ad doesn't load means it's counter doesn't progress. No hit counter progression = no money.
Delta3519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:01 PM   #23
mosin360

mosin360's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
I go thru phases but I've never cared about completion percentage as its too easy to stay at 100%.

Total gamerscore has to be earned by playing crap and the best. If you want big epeen then you have to play it all.

Last goal met: 200k - Oct 6, 2013

mosin360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:05 PM   #24
EmagDrolBot

EmagDrolBot's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Bronze
Completion %.

At 91% atm focusing on trying to get 95% without going for more games.

I do have a few that will not ever be complete though. Hexic HC (because lol) and Diner Dash (because unobtainable).
EmagDrolBot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:15 PM   #25
Sampson

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Completion. That's the satisfaction of it.

"Everyone is entitled to their own sorrow, for the
heart has no metrics or form of measure. And all of
it... irreplaceable."

Thanks to Rajeanero for the excellent signature!
Sampson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:30 PM   #26
vSully

vSully's Gamercard
I'm a OCD completionist and I my general rule is that I don't play games that I wouldn't play if they didn't have achievements. I also don't start a game unless I plan on putting forth my best effort to complete it, including all DLC.

I honestly don't care about gamerscore. It's a meaningless number to me. I'm not really that impressed with Stallion83's 945k G because he has very few truly difficult or time consuming achievements. I've got about 1/10th the number of achievements that he has and 1/15th the number of games played, yet his 50th "hardest" achievement according to TrueAchievements has a 6.31 ratio. My 50th "hardest" achievement has a 7.19 ratio. All he has proven is that he has more time than everyone else to play video games and that he only goes after the low hanging fruit. The true gaming champion of this generation is Czaleo. This guy is an absolute beast when it comes to hard achievements. He has completed Robotron 2084, Asteroids and Deluxe, and Cyberball 2072, being the only known person with 100% completion of the latter two.

But don't get me wrong- when it comes to completing achievements, I've got somewhat of an "all's fair" mentality. I've done my fair share of boosting and using what I consider creative solutions to earn achievements (like abusing the pause mechanic when going for the advanced pro-guitar and pro-keys trainer achievement in Rock Band 3).

I don't necessarily avoid games with difficult (as in I might not be able to complete them) achievements, but I do avoid games with achievements that I feel will take more time and effort than I want to have to put forth. GTAIV is a perfect example- I haven't played it because I don't want to spend forever grinding/boosting Wanted and Auf Wiedersehen Petrovic. I also hate what I cosnider to be "unnecessary" multiplayer achievements, which is why I haven't played Tomb Raider and the new Batman game.

Here are the 108 games on my gamercard: http://www.trueachievements.com/myga...gamerid=113412

I've not completed eight games.
GTAV: currently working on it
Bioshock Infinite: Waiting for the DLC to be released on 11/12
Metro Last Light: Just need to complete the DLC
Deathsmiles: Three insanely difficult achievements
Cyberball 2072: One insanely difficult achievement
Rock Band 3: One pro drum trainer achievement that I am unable to complete
Skate: One achievement that is unobtainable due to server shutdown
Ghostbusters: Two MP achievements that are unobtainable because of glitchy MP achievements (I've completed the requirements for both multiple times)
http://www.trueachievements.com/vSully.htm
vSully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:24 PM   #27
IDarK VorteXX

IDarK VorteXX's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Silver   Staff Club - * Clueless *   Staff Club - Grifter Reborn
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Gamerscore + Completion percentage. Enough said.

*Thanks to Audacious for the great signature*

I wear a mask. And that mask, is not to hide who I am, but to create what I am. I'm BATMAN!!!!!!!!

Don’t believe everything you read on the Internet just because there’s a picture with a quote next to it.” – Abraham Lincoln
IDarK VorteXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:25 PM   #28
Puppys
Running Save Mode

Send a message via Skype™ to Puppys

x1001x Puppys's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Arcade Crazy - Silver   Off to the Races Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - rekikire   Donator - Level 2   GRID 2 Award   Staff Club - troy0891   Subscriber - Gold   Community Gaming - Silver   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Gold
Total Awards: 36 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Slaugh7er View Post
Really? You should definitely steer clear of AC and AO. Although awesome, they are tough. I'm a very experienced Arkham player, but I still find some of those predator challenges difficult.
I know. They are excellent games, but they just aren't for me.

I still want to play them at some point, maybe on a dummy account or on steam since the achievements are disabled now
Old 10-31-2013, 03:32 PM   #29
Kazuya86

Send a message via MSN to Kazuya86 Send a message via Skype™ to Kazuya86

kazzer86's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Bronze
I'm not so worried about the percentage of completion with my games. I'm more of a "get a high gamerscore" kind of person. I mean if I like the game i'll replay it and try and go for more achievments but I just don't have the attention span to sit there and try to get one achievment that takes sometimes over a week to get. That's my opinion anyway.

Kazuya86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:48 PM   #30
Dante Kasai

Send a message via Skype™ to Dante Kasai

Dante Kasai's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1   Staff Club - * Clueless *   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 1
If a game goes on my card, it's going to be 100% completed one day, no exceptions.

That said, I only play games that I know are actually possible to complete and avoid ones with unobtainable achievements (Like LOTR: Conquest with its MP achievements broken thanks to the servers going down).

It's more an OCD thing; if the bar doesn't say 100%, the game is not completed. That means all DLC achievements must be earned. Bad for my wallet in the fact that all DLC means bought for new games, but also saves it from buying games with too many useless DLC achievements.

Usually they're quality though; I don't care if it's easy to complete, they just gotta be fun. Avatar: TBE can be done in 5 minutes and that's not fun to me. So, games like Call of Duty and Devil May Cry are on my card. Granted, Devil May Cry is the hardest freaking franchise I've ever completed, but it's been done. Just ask 1001puppies.

Speaking of 1001puppies, how come you changed your avatar? That was such a good picture of Elizabeth!

Completions: 45
Completion Percentage: 100%
Dante Kasai is offline   Reply With Quote