Subscribe    Donate

Old 01-20-2014, 06:22 AM   #1
DarkReign2021
Banned User

DarkReign2021's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Favorite Videogame openings

They always say you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover and that's a concept that oftentimes carries over into videogames as well, oftentimes warning gamers that they shouldn't write off a game until they're at least a little ways in. That doesn't mean this is always the case and there are always those games that reach out and have you hooked in the first 5 minutes.

What are some of your favorite opening scenes in videogames? This could be just the opening cutscene or the entirety of the first level or even just a really intuitive Start Menu.

I'll start off with my 3 personal favorites:

3. Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion-
This is one that you would really have to have been there back in 2006 to truly appreciate. Less than a year into the new generation of consoles and coming off of the more-than-a-little-dated graphics of Morrowind, it was already obvious from screenshots that this game was going to be gorgeous, but you never really grasped the scope of it's beauty until you start the game with an airborne camera flying gracefully around the entirety of the enormous Imperial city, shown in all of it's glory. As if that weren't enough to make you tear up, couple the beautiful scenery with a beautifully narrated summary of the games opening plot by none other than Patrick Sterwart, the second sexiest voice in America. Before you've even created your character, you already know you're in for a treat out in this world of beauty and mystery.

2. Halo 2-
Taking place a mere month after the closing events of Halo 1, you get to witness firsthand the implications of your actions in the first game. Johnson and Master Chief are aboard the MAC platform Cairo Station where they're being presented with Medals for their decisive and heroic actions in destroying the installation and eliminating two very immediate threats. The two of you start out aboard a tram with an astounding view of Earth, the first time the Master Chief and you as the player ever get to lay eyes on it in the Halo franchise; Meanwhile, the Covenant Holy City and Juggernaut ship High Charity is stationed in Orbit just outside of the charred remains of the Halo installation as they hold a trial and pass judgement on the failure of failed Sangheili shipmaster Thel 'Vadam for allowing the holy artifact to be destroyed. This is the first time ever hearing of the Prophets, the leaders of the Covenan, and witnessing firsthand the politics behind the dreaded alien collective. These are the details that, in my opinion, truly set Halo apart from other Alien war stories and it had me hooked instantly.

1. Mass Effect 2-
Now I know most people probably get tired of me talking about this game and while I may act like it's flawless, that is not the case and there are plenty of moments I could fault the game for in being weak. The opening act, however, was not one of those moments. The game opens up to the Normandy, your ship from the 1st game and where you likely spent more time than anywhere else in your playthroughs, a month after the initial Reaper assault. You're on a less-than-desirable cleanup mission eliminating stray enemy troops when an unknown ship begins to open fire on you. The ship is caught off guard and quickly crippled, leaving many members of your crew dead and the rest fleeing for the lifepods. As you take control of Shepard for the first time, you find yourself in the mess hall on the middle deck of the ship completely engulfed in flames. As you make your way toward the upper level in an attempt to reach and rescue the ship's pilot, you come to the Galaxy Map room, the very center of the ship, and are greeted with sheer vacuum. As the volume goes mute, you notice the entire top of the ship has been torn off, revealing the large icy planet in the background an remains of the ship floating about thanks to the failed gravity generators. As you reach your pilot and convince him to abandon ship, the enemy opens fire again and cuts you off from the lifepod, instead propelling you into Space and damaging the seals on your suit which... kills you. That's right, your character dies within the first 5 minutes of the game. How's THAT for an opening?!

Anyway, those are 3 of my favorite videogame openings. I'd love to hear what games some of you guys (and girls) were instantly hooked with and the different attributes that make them so special to you.
DarkReign2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:24 AM   #2
trach555

trach555's Gamercard
If you try to achieve "finish game using only 3 saves" in Dead Space 2 you can be annoyed by intro movie - if you are starting the over and over again...
trach555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:33 AM   #3
BiggD
Smashing Shit in Pandora

BiggDope's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Emerald   Road Map - Silver   Achievement Guide - Silver   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   CABS Beta Tester   10,000 posts   Subscriber - Bronze   Micro Guide - Diamond   XBA Promoter   A+ Thread Award   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 11 (more» ...)
Halo 2.

The story-telling or, cinematic design, whatever it's called, in this game was great. The game opens not even with the protagonist, nor with anyone we (assuming you played the first game) know. An Elite Zealot, known as Thel 'Vadam, is on trial for his grand sin of allowing the events in Halo: CE to take place. The "higher-ups" of the Covenant basically tell him, "You fucked up, you're done, nothing you say can save you." What follows afterwards is brilliant - you witness mirror opposites. The baddies are getting punished for what happened in the first game, while the good guys are being praised for it. It's great stuff, "I need a weapon."

5:26 in the video below:

BioShock Infinite.

The opening black screen with the dialogue between "the man and woman" (Booker and Elizabeth) immediately captured my attention when he denies his fear in God but says he fear her. The dreary atomsphere captured by the stormy night and gore inside the lighthouse were brilliant and Booker's aniexty as he lifted up into the skies made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up and as soon as he arrived in Columbia, my jaw dropped at it's sudden beauty and I felt weird. The descent into Columbia followed by, "Will The Circle Be Unbroken," left me in awe. One of the most beautiful openings ever.

----

I also loved the opening scenes to:
  • Hitman Absolution
  • The Last of Us
  • Dishonored
  • Batman Arkahm Asylum
...but I'm too tired and lazy to type out reasoning for those.

Thanks to XeroFox for the awesome signature <3

Last edited by BiggD; 01-21-2014 at 12:12 AM.
BiggD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:44 AM   #4
Cpt Slaughter
A Personal Contractů

Cpt Slaugh7er's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   Subscriber - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Don't feel like writing an essay, but my favorites are:
Dishonored
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Hitman: Blood Money
Deus Ex: Human Revolution <!!!!!

"My Sun...is setting... It's dark.....so dark."

Cpt Slaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:03 AM   #5
iBuzz7S

Why So Jealous's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   Submit - Bronze   Donator - Level 2
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
  • Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
  • Half-Life 2
  • Bioshock
iBuzz7S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:05 AM   #6
Dirty130

MGS4
"I'm no hero, never was, never will be. I'm just an old killer hired to do some wet-work"

Bioshock
Everything leading up to the door on the lighthouse was great! And then after you open that door..

Uncharted games.
All 3 games have had great opening sequences.

Last edited by Dirty130; 01-20-2014 at 08:08 AM.
Dirty130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:20 AM   #7
1001puppys
Dream Until Dawn ♥

Send a message via Skype™ to 1001puppys

x1001x Puppys's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Bronze   Road Map - Bronze   Subscriber - Gold   Submit - Bronze   Staff Club - Shinobi273   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 2   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   CABS Beta Tester   Staff Club - Rajeanero   Staff Club - Minty   Community Gaming - Bronze   Staff Club - Inebriated Jedi
Total Awards: 24 (more» ...)
In my mind, nothing will ever beat a classic.

Although my favorite may go to FF VIII

[Click Here for my Top 20 Games of the 7th Gen!]

I finally have each unique weapon and shield in Dark Souls II! -----> [Weapon/Shield Album]

Last edited by 1001puppys; 01-20-2014 at 08:49 AM.
1001puppys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:31 AM   #8
bulletman

Bulletman uk's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Has to be the FF7 opening for me, so many memories are tied to this game:

Thanks to Cpt Slaugh7er for this sig.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Slaugh7er
You're probably one of the most intelligent people I've met in my entire life .

Last edited by bulletman; 01-20-2014 at 08:35 AM.
bulletman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:33 AM   #9
MabusScarab

Mabus Incarnate's Gamercard
Prey I always felt had a pretty awesome opening scene, in the bar with the native americans, suddenly the bright lights start pouring in to the music of "Don't Fear The Reaper" as bodies start being lifted up to the mothership. It was a cool "alien abduction" moment and the music made it all that much more memorable.

Good call by Buzz on Half Life 2 also, brilliant game that captures you from the get go.

Dr. Ned's Zombie Island intro was hilarious in the original Borderlands, I remember being in a party with friends the first time we booted it up and all of us getting a good laugh out of the story being told as the DLC began.

Call of Duty 2, storming the beach, even though it's been made and remade it was still a pretty epic moment.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:28 PM   #10
TriRock

TriRock's Gamercard

Awards Showcase You ARE the Controller Challenge Club - Tier 1   Scratch the SURFACE Challenge Club - Tier 2   Scratch the SURFACE Challenge Club - Tier 1   Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 2   Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - Inebriated Jedi   Best of XBLA Challenge Club - Tier 1   Family Corner Challenge Club - Tier 2   Family Corner Challenge Club - Tier 1   Toilet Bowl Challenge Club - Tier 1   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 1   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)
Total Awards: 34 (more» ...)
Not sure what my #1 is, but this is certainly in the Top 10:

Achievement #1000 - Seek and Destroy - Achievement #10000 - Fully Evolved

Overachiever: 54 points - 15 Staff Clubs - C/F Clubs 7-4-0

TriRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 03:35 PM   #11
StolenPaper18

StolenPaper18's Gamercard

Awards Showcase XBA Promoter   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze   1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
Obligatory

Old 01-20-2014, 04:07 PM   #12
Opiate42

Location: Canada, likely stuck in a snowdrift...with no shovel

Opiate42's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Silver   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Submit - Bronze   Community Gaming - Bronze   XBA Promoter   Staff Club - DEG23   Over Achiever - Bronze   5,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 9 (more» ...)
Yah Mass Effect 2 was a show stopper. Wanted to cry.

And these:
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBuzz7S View Post
  • Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
  • Half-Life 2
  • Bioshock
COD4's intro shocked the hell out of me at the time.

Have to toss this classic in: Planescape Torment. Awesome awesome game.

"Hit it"

Last edited by Opiate42; 01-20-2014 at 04:13 PM.
Opiate42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 04:12 PM   #13
TheDarkOne

LeGiOnOfPaIn666's Gamercard
I thought that when u bring the game Neir(splling) the start menu, it becomes rather obivous and funny to what is being said.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:26 PM   #14
The Elite Elite

The Elite Elite's Gamercard
ME2's opening is pretty good, but I like ME3's better. After two games of "the Reapers are coming" the Reapers finally get here. You are almost immediately greeted with the city of Vancouver coming under attack and you have to get to the Normandy. After the obligatory tutorial segment, you get greeted by the Normandy, now wearing Alliance colours, rather than Cerberus. Then you get treated to that great piece of music, Leaving Earth, while watching the Reapers begin their assault on the planet. Very good opening.

I also really like Halo 4's opening. Halsey being interrogated while we get treated to a good piece of music and the gorgeous graphics that we'll see in every cinematic of the game. It gives you a nice little summary about who Halsey is and what the SPARTAN-II program was if you hadn't read the books.

Thanks to Cpt Slaugh7er for the picture!
The Elite Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 04:56 PM   #15
BiggD
Smashing Shit in Pandora

BiggDope's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Emerald   Road Map - Silver   Achievement Guide - Silver   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   CABS Beta Tester   10,000 posts   Subscriber - Bronze   Micro Guide - Diamond   XBA Promoter   A+ Thread Award   Donator - Level 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriRock View Post
Not sure what my #1 is, but this is certainly in the Top 10:

The Witcher 2 Opening Scene Max Settings - YouTube
How could I forget about this one!?

Old 01-20-2014, 05:13 PM   #16
Akuza

Akuza89's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Kingdom hearts 1 and 2.

Both awesome intros
Kill La Kill
FLCL
Old 01-20-2014, 07:02 PM   #17
LickableLemons7

SublimeThugLife's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - DEG23   Micro Guide - Bronze   Staff Club - DeekBoy   Submit - Bronze   2,500 Posts   XBA Promoter   Staff Club - * Clueless *   Over Achiever - Bronze
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
Can't add much else to what's already been said. Deus Ex: Human Revolution, BioShock/BioShock Infinite, Prey...

This one is more so nostalgia than anything else. Giddy to see Guybrush in an all new adventure. I miss LucasArts... (Monkey Island 2):

Alan Wake was interesting...

As was Fez:

I also like this from Metal Gear Solid 3:

The first 4 and a half minutes of the second mission in Halo 4 was great too. Shame it didn't last longer. I liked not running into enemies and shooting things.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:39 PM   #18
BiggD
Smashing Shit in Pandora

BiggDope's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickableLemons7 View Post
The first 4 and a half minutes of the second mission in Halo 4 was great too. Shame it didn't last longer. I liked not running into enemies and shooting things.

Yeah, exploring the crash site and venturing into that small cave and emerging out into a beam of white light into Requiem was pretty sweet.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:57 PM   #19
dirge

builder dirge's Gamercard

Mine has to be the first Shenmue. Still my favourite story in gaming.

Gamerscore on 31/12/2010 77,080
Gamerscore on 31/12/2011 116,056
Gamerscore on 31/12/2012 153,371
Gamerscore on 31/12/2013 187,190

#SaveShenmue
dirge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:29 PM   #20
Barad
Reading 50 Shades of Grey

Send a message via Skype™ to Barad

Barad XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Gold   Donator - Level 2   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer   Staff Club - troy0891   Micro Guide - Silver   Road Map - Platinum   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Submit - Diamond   Achievement Guide - Gold   15,000 Posts
Total Awards: 18 (more» ...)
The ones I can remember have been mentioned.

Bioshock - Welcome to Rapture..yes even though I didn't play the game very much and disliked it, the intro to the underwater world was intriguing.

Batman AA - The Asylum & Joker

Fallout 3 - Birth in Vault 101

**Work of Jardinho**
Barad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:07 PM   #21
WipeoutBoy1

xenomorphs's Gamercard
I remember back in the day the first time I saw this I was like wow

Soon as I saw it I had to have it.

This is the game I solely bought a xbox 360 for.

This intro got me hooked straight away. Loved the trilogy shame it is ruined by the POS ending in ME3.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:25 PM   #22
Dante Kasai
The Devil Hunter

Send a message via Skype™ to Dante Kasai

Dante Kasai's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Subscriber - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   Staff Club - * Clueless *   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 1
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)

I don't think I'll ever forget this particular opening.

Gamertag: Dante Kasai
Total Gamerscore: 47135
Completion Percentage: 94.94%
Retail Completions: 35
Arcade Completions: 6
Achievements Earned: 2269
Dante Kasai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:44 PM   #23
VitaminAmy

VitaminAmy's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Subscriber - Bronze   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Donator - Level 1   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Silver   Gamer Chick!
Total Awards: 6 (more» ...)
My favorite intros to video games have to be:
Saints Row 3 (bank heist was so epic)
The Last of Us (many feelings)
Mass Effect 3 (such a hook)
Old 01-21-2014, 02:37 AM   #24
Gackt
Banned User

Awards Showcase Staff Club - Gackt   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Gold   SOTF Winner   GSL 8 Winners   The Helping Hand   Bright Idea   Word of Mouth   Donator - Level 1   Submit - Bronze   Artist of the Month
Total Awards: 15 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StolenPaper18 View Post
I knew I liked you.
Gackt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:43 AM   #25
Fritz White

Fritz White's Gamercard
I hope it's ok that I just post the links right in here and don't hide them behind a spoiler link. Top 10 (in no particular order):

Contra 3

DOA Ultimate 2

Lost Odyssey (still don't have the game, but plan to one day)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwJOe-Y918A

Portal
Dead Rising
Call of Duty 2
Bioshock (original)
Doom 3
Halo 2
Gears of War

Last edited by Fritz White; 01-21-2014 at 08:59 PM.
Fritz White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:01 AM   #26
BiggD
Smashing Shit in Pandora

BiggDope's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz White View Post
I hope it's ok that I just post the links right in here and don't hide them behind a spoiler link. Top 11 (in no particular order):

Super Castlevania
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6fgUsqHNzA

Contra 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcvPacxAp_4

DOA Ultimate 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHnPQPlBv2Q

Doom 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grrM6vpUeF

Halo 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5Xkl-du2vA

Gears of War
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=892tFZZbUCk

Lost Odyssey (still don't have the game, but plan to one day)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKVf3s_-uZ0

Portal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TluRVBhmf8w

Dead Rising
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8BBLigWkwU

Call of Duty 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxK3S4zNLtc

Bioshock (original)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnx7NsishE0
Too many videos in one post make the videos and thread in general lag -__-

Old 01-21-2014, 03:29 AM   #27
Barad
Reading 50 Shades of Grey

Send a message via Skype™ to Barad

Barad XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Gold   Donator - Level 2   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer   Staff Club - troy0891   Micro Guide - Silver   Road Map - Platinum   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Submit - Diamond   Achievement Guide - Gold   15,000 Posts
Total Awards: 18 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggD View Post
Don't be ungrateful for his effort.

Never mind my thread just broke.

**Work of Jardinho**
Barad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:42 AM   #28
DarkReign2021
Banned User

DarkReign2021's Gamercard

Seeing so many awesome and nostalgia-packed games here ^_^ It's making me want to replay everything. Just picking out a few of my favorites from those listed.

Dead or Alive Ultimate- That was the video that truly sealed my love for the Dead or Alive franchise. The gorgeous graphics, the always-amazing Aerosmith, and the enormous amount of backstory for 3 of my favorite characters in the series. I only wish that the action game that was supposed to be based on this video hadn't been scrapped.

Starcraft: Brood War- I remember when I first bought that game. Had no idea what it was about and only got it because my friend had it and told me to get it so we could play together. I actually skipped the opening video my first few times playing and got straight into the game. Eventually I decided I would sit through it and see what it was all about and it blew me away how large some of those in-game units actually were (I.E the Battlecruisers) Plus I'll never forget how non-chalant the terran was listening to his music. No better sign that he's just said fuck it and ready for everything to end.

Half-Life 2- This opening was brilliant in a way that it was so simple. Nothing special happened and it's almost a direct rip from the opening used in the first Half-Life, but that was part of it's charm. This game didn't need to be over-the-top and flashy to be great and this certainly made it's point. The Gman dialog in the beginning served only to add more to the mysteryalready surrounding him and the brilliance of the dialog and his performance was something I actually used as a backdrop to a presentation I had to give once. It was the perfect open to my subject, although regrettably I no longer seem to remember what the subject was.
DarkReign2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:42 AM   #29
1001puppys
Dream Until Dawn ♥

Send a message via Skype™ to 1001puppys

x1001x Puppys's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Bronze   Road Map - Bronze   Subscriber - Gold   Submit - Bronze   Staff Club - Shinobi273   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 2   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   CABS Beta Tester   Staff Club - Rajeanero   Staff Club - Minty   Community Gaming - Bronze   Staff Club - Inebriated Jedi
Total Awards: 24 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggD View Post
Someone needs a new pc.

[Click Here for my Top 20 Games of the 7th Gen!]

I finally have each unique weapon and shield in Dark Souls II! -----> [Weapon/Shield Album]
1001puppys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:20 PM   #30
BiggD
Smashing Shit in Pandora

BiggDope's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1001puppys View Post
Someone needs a new pc.
My Macbook runs fine, thank you It's just 20+ videos is preposterous!