Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Main Hub > Discussion Boards > Games
Subscribe    Donate

Old 01-21-2014, 03:06 PM   #31
PenderPowguin

PenderPowguin's Gamercard

Awards Showcase The Mighty Duck Face   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Nice thread. There are so many...

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon - so funny, it had me hooked. I haven't finished it yet, but from the intro I knew this was going to be an epic game. Aside of the hilarious beginning movie, the tutorial was also just plain awesome!

Skip to 1:25

Wild Arms 2 - I don't know what it is about this song, and intro movie, but it's just so damn epic to me. Plus, it's a badass game! Bring it to the One, please!

Mega Man 2 - So, it seems like I'm taking a nostalgic approach here, but seriously, when I was a kid, that intro had me wet. Also, Mega Man has some of the best 8-bit music around!

Edit: Hmm, I tried to add the videos via spoilers, but that isn't really working for me... so, sorry for those with slow 'puters!

"Are you saying we shouldn't hope?"

"I'm saying we should remove the carrot and walk forward with our eyes open!”
- Raistlin Majere

Major props to Rajeanero for this sexy sig!
PenderPowguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:25 PM   #32
ginge88isfun

Send a message via Skype™ to ginge88isfun

Ginge88isfun's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Over Achiever - Bronze   XBA Promoter
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Bioshock
Half Life 2
Halo 2
Gears of War
ginge88isfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:57 PM   #33
BiggD
121 More Days 'Til Halo 2

BiggDope's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Road Map - Gold   Achievement Guide - Gold   Donator - Level 2   Submit - Diamond   Community Gaming - Bronze   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Bronze   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   CABS Beta Tester   10,000 posts
Total Awards: 16 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginge88isfun View Post
Bioshock
Half Life 2
Halo 2
Gears of War
Halo 2, FTW!

Thanks to XeroFox for the sinister signature!

Batman: Arkham City | XBA Blog
BiggD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:04 PM   #34
bryan2369

bryan2369's Gamercard
GTA V, best opening because it's PLAYABLE! Right off the bat you're knocking off a bank and then fighting off a bunch of cops. AWESOME
bryan2369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:29 PM   #35
1001puppys
Queen's Final Reign

Send a message via Skype™ to 1001puppys

x1001x Puppys's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 2   GRID 2 Award   Staff Club - troy0891   Subscriber - Gold   Community Gaming - Silver   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Gold   You're DOOMED Challenge Club - Tier 1   Toilet Bowl Challenge Club - Tier 1   Family Corner Challenge Club - Tier 1
Total Awards: 34 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggD View Post
My Macbook runs fine, thank you It's just 20+ videos is preposterous!
My bad, by the time I got to the thread there are only a handful of vids.

Really impressed with some of these openings I've never seen before!

10,000 achievements obtained 6/24/14 with Maximum Efficiency - WET!
1001puppys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:43 PM   #36
BiggD

BiggDope's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Road Map - Gold   Achievement Guide - Gold   Donator - Level 2   Submit - Diamond   Community Gaming - Bronze   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Bronze   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   CABS Beta Tester   10,000 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1001puppys View Post
Really impressed with some of these openings I've never seen before!
I haven't even played, seen, or heard of half these games before, haha!

Old 01-21-2014, 07:27 PM   #37
Barad
High on Life

Send a message via Skype™ to Barad

Barad XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Platinum   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Bronze   Road Map - Emerald   Achievement Guide - Platinum   Donator - Level 2   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer   Staff Club - troy0891
Total Awards: 22 (more» ...)
Judging from this thread it seems most badass intros are from back in the day, no solid good intros are made anymore.

Barad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:42 PM   #38
Opiate42

Location: Canada, likely stuck in a snowdrift...with no shovel

Opiate42's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Silver   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Submit - Bronze   XBA Promoter   Staff Club - DEG23   Over Achiever - Bronze   5,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barad View Post
Judging from this thread it seems most badass intros are from back in the day, no solid good intros are made anymore.
Nah there's still plenty of awesome happening.

"Hit it"
Opiate42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:11 PM   #39
Lava Tonsil

andydubyew's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Community Gaming - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   Over Achiever - Bronze   XBA Promoter
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
We Love Katamari is probably my favourite intro to any game, weird, colourful and with some of the best music created for any game.
I'd post a video but i can't find one of sufficient quality to do it's magnificence justice.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:48 PM   #40
BiggD

BiggDope's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opiate42 View Post
Name five

Old 01-21-2014, 10:39 PM   #41
str8giGGin

str8giGGin's Gamercard
medal of honor

I always felt the opening level in medal of honor: frontline was pretty epic, storming the beaches of Normandy will never get old
str8giGGin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:59 PM   #42
Barad
High on Life

Barad XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Platinum   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Bronze   Road Map - Emerald   Achievement Guide - Platinum   Donator - Level 2   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer   Staff Club - troy0891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opiate42 View Post
Quote:
Name five

Or just two in the last fact years in fact. Nothing has caught my attention in a long time.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:00 AM   #43
sicklyplague

SicklyPlague's Gamercard

Awards Showcase VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 1   Over Achiever - Bronze   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Community Gaming - Bronze   XBA Promoter   1,000 Posts

Two of my favorites.

Thanks to MabusScarab for the Sig!
sicklyplague is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:02 AM   #44
BiggD

BiggDope's Gamercard

Quote:
Or just two in the last fact years in fact. Nothing has caught my attention in a long time.
The only ones I can think of are Hitman and Dishonored myself :/ Hitman because he gets a contract to kill his boss, and Dishonored because the dude gets framed for murdering a queen. Those aren't necessarily the best, but pretty cool, imo Max Payne 3's intro was pretty funky, too, now that I think about it. But leave it to me to have something good to say about that game lol.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:08 AM   #45
Barad
High on Life

Barad XBA's Gamercard

Quote:
The only ones I can think of are Hitman and Dishonored myself :/ Hitman because he gets a contract to kill his boss, and Dishonored because the dude gets framed for murdering a queen. Those aren't necessarily the best, but pretty cool, imo Max Payne 3's intro was pretty funky, too, now that I think about it. But leave it to me to have something good to say about that game lol.
I forgot about Hitman Absolutions intro, the women in the shower..was a pretty decent intro to the game indeed. Max Payne 3's one was a little depressing which is it'd get credit I suppose. Watching it everytime you'd start a new playthrough kind of got mind numbing soon.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:22 AM   #46
BiggD

BiggDope's Gamercard

Quote:
I forgot about Hitman Absolutions intro, the women in the shower..was a pretty decent intro to the game indeed. Max Payne 3's one was a little depressing which is it'd get credit I suppose. Watching it everytime you'd start a new playthrough kind of got mind numbing soon.
Hahah, everything in that game got numbing by the 5th playthrough. Darn those certain unskippable cutscenes!

Old 01-22-2014, 12:34 AM   #47
Gackt
Banned User

Awards Showcase Staff Club - Gackt   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Gold   SOTF Winner   GSL 8 Winners   The Helping Hand   Bright Idea   Word of Mouth   Donator - Level 1   Submit - Bronze   Artist of the Month
Total Awards: 15 (more» ...)
Quote:
Gackt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:10 AM   #48
Barad
High on Life

Barad XBA's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gackt View Post
Okay..that was pretty badass. I even want to kind of play the game now.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:14 AM   #49
BiggD

BiggDope's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gackt View Post
What the fuck did I just watch!?

Old 01-22-2014, 01:34 AM   #50
Xerofox
were given today

Send a message via Skype™ to Xerofox

Xerofox's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Artist of the Month   Staff Club - Xerofox   SOTF Winner   Staff - Graphics Team   1,000 Posts   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 6 (more» ...)
Only one intro has me hooked ever since I played this game. It's the combination of the song and the pictures.

Old 01-22-2014, 02:25 AM   #51
DarkReign2021
Banned User

DarkReign2021's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Glad to see people taking to this thread so well ^_^ Thought it was time we had something new to discuss and it makes up for the derpy thread I made on the XB1 board a few days ago. lol

I'm loving the variety here. In the #51 posts so far, I'm pretty sure we've had more than 50 unique titles listed, which goes to show just how much the opening of a game can draw a player in and hook him instantly.

DarkReign's Openings- Round 2- FIGHT!... erm... BEGIN!

Advent Rising-
This game was strange because it was running 3 different graphics engines. It had the in-game graphics, standard cutscene graphics that utilized prettier version of the the in-game models, and than 4 or 5 cutscenes randomly distributed throughout the game that utilized CGI. The opening scene of Advent Rising utilized said CGI and it was gorgeous. You immediately start off in a bright and strange world with these floating creatures that look almost Human, except they're flying and they do not speak. One floats over to another group of two, than it suddenly cuts out without so much as a howdy-do and jumps over to a ship flying through a rainstorm. It eventually breaks free of the atmosphere and you find your character in a space ship floating away from the planet's gravity... upside down.

As a huge sci-fi fan, this cutscene gave me every reason to be excited for the rest of the game and even better, right after the cutscene ends, you assume control in the middle of space and are expected to gracefully guide your shuttle to the space station for a landing while avoiding a fatal collision with the others ships moving in every direction (and resisting the temptation no to slam into the giant alien ship after your brother kindly asks you not to) although the beginning level starts a little slow with the tutorial bits, it quickly picks up as you make your way to the enormous alien ship to make first contact.

Breakdown-
Another excellent game from the original Xbox and EXTREMELY underappreciated, this is quite possibly my favorite game ever, topping even the Halo and Mass Effect franchises. The opening to this game has you in a room staring at a ceiling with a broken angel suspending in the air. You overhear somebody discussing you and mentioning total memory loss and being in a comatose state. As you fall back into sleep, you are quickly awakened to find yourself in a lab. A woman comes out of some kind of portal and begins shaking you while speaking in gibberish before vanishing again. Having now recovered from your coma, a nearby scientist sends you on a combat course and gives you a refresher on how to use martial arts combos and do backflips and combat rolls (keep in mind, this game is 100% in First-Person at ALL times during cutscenes, flips, physical attacks, and even eating, using vending machines and picking up items off of people's corpses.)

DarkReign2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:51 AM   #52
PenderPowguin

PenderPowguin's Gamercard

Awards Showcase The Mighty Duck Face   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Dayum, Gackt! That Warhammer Intro was fucking sick!

"Are you saying we shouldn't hope?"

"I'm saying we should remove the carrot and walk forward with our eyes open!”
- Raistlin Majere

Major props to Rajeanero for this sexy sig!
PenderPowguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:01 AM   #53
Fritz White

Fritz White's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenderPowguin View Post
Nice thread. There are so many...

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
5:50-6:30 best scene
Fritz White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:04 PM   #54
Fragarach Luin

Jacob Ulysses's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Bronze   Staff Club - DEG23   Staff Club - DeekBoy
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
I like threads like this. It's nice to see videos and hear music. It speaks on its own, whether I agree with the opinions people write or no.

I'm with DarkReign on Mass Effect 2's intro being really good. I think it stands in stark contrast to the original Mass Effect, which starts out incredibly slowly and, despite throwing you into a battlefield immediately, didn't grab my interest until I was thoroughly embroiled in pointless mini-quests on the Citadel. Mass Effect 2 was sudden, and surprising, and it worked because it played on the emotional investment the player (hopefully) already had with Shepard and her crew (or his, if you enjoy wooden voice acting). I know that for me, the reason it worked was the little details, like the reminder of Joker's frailty, and the few words spoken with your romantic interest, and the fact that Shepard had on the same armor I equipped her with. Mass Effect 3's beginning tried to be surprising and engaging as well, but I was too busy wondering why everyone had their heads so far up their asses to be impressed at the immediacy of a danger I'd spent the last two games warning them about.

Halo 2 did have a great intro, and set the stage for its dual-mission setup. The talented storytelling displayed by the contrastive intro is only matched by the ham-handed failure of an ending that Bungie squeezed out of their empty idea jar. Still, considering how important a role the Arbiter plays in Halo 2, it was completely appropriate to give him his ironic beginning in the ashes of John 117's victory. I personally have loved Keith David since I saw him in John Carpenter's The Thing, so you'll hear no complaints from me.

Half-Life 2 deserves a mention. Nothing the G-Man says can ever touch his closing lines in the original Half-Life, particularly his "It's time to choose.", but waking up and smelling the ashes of a police state never felt so sinister. Waiting in bureaucratic lines can be surprisingly anxious.

Dead Space 2 was good throughout, and genius in a few parts. The intro would have to be one of them. Most games practically tie your hands together during the introductory parts while they assume your tiny brain struggles to understand the concept of moving two joysticks at the same time. Few games have the balls to literally put your character in a straight-jacket and make the introductory bits a scramble to get away from insane, blood-drenched monsters who will easily and quickly kill you if you simply make a wrong turn.

Halo: Combat Evolved wins for me, though. And it's a really stupid, simple thing. In the beginning, the technician who wakes you up from cryo-sleep asks you to calibrate your helmets HUD by looking at two lights, one high and one low. Obviously, this is just a chance to invert your controls if you're a fruitcake, disguised as a reasonable task in the game's universe. But in a world of gaming where I just spent 10 minutes customizing the eyebrows on Femshep, because somehow the imported face took on green eyebrows, a game that didn't break immersion before shunting you right into the action was really, really nice.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:46 PM   #55
BiggD

BiggDope's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragarach Luin View Post
Halo 2 did have a great intro, and set the stage for its dual-mission setup. The talented storytelling displayed by the contrastive intro is only matched by the ham-handed failure of an ending that Bungie squeezed out of their empty idea jar. Still, considering how important a role the Arbiter plays in Halo 2, it was completely appropriate to give him his ironic beginning in the ashes of John 117's victory. I personally have loved Keith David since I saw him in John Carpenter's The Thing, so you'll hear no complaints from me.
Hey, Frag.

Nice to see some Halo 2 Intro love coming from you. However, I'm surprised - well not really (I'll write why soon) - that you're disappointed by Halo 2's ending. Why is it? I feel like everywhere I read on the internet, people say it was the worst (or one of) ending to a video game. I don't know, I usually like cliffhangers, and Halo 2 probably had the biggest cliffhanger in any video game I have played. The war is raging on, John left behind his A.I., Arbiter just murdered a huge threat, we learn that the Prophet is ape-shit-nuts and going to activate all the other rings…and boom, "Master Chief. You mind telling me what you're doing on that ship?" "Sir, finishing this fight." Maybe it is the Halo nerd in me, but that is a "badass" ending to the game given the events that kept on piling and piling up towards the last level.

On an agreeable note though, Keith David was great for the role of The Arbiter. His voice work was fantastic.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:08 AM   #56
MeltingBalloons

MeltingBalloons's Gamercard

Awards Showcase VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   GRID 2 Award   Staff Club - Tyger7   Submit - Silver
Quote:
The only ones I can think of are Hitman and Dishonored myself :/ Hitman because he gets a contract to kill his boss, and Dishonored because the dude gets framed for murdering a queen.
These are my two favourites as well. You pretty much get to be a part of what's happening from the start, and it really draws you into the story

Currently Working On (Arcade):

Upcoming Games:Splinter Cell: Conviction, Sniper Elite V2

Join The Fun

Thanks to Gackt for the terrific sig and avatar!
MeltingBalloons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:17 AM   #57
McGoogles

Ratify's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - * Clueless *   Staff Club - Grifter Reborn   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   5,000 Posts   Over Achiever - Silver   Staff Club - DEG23   XBA Promoter   Submit - Silver
Fallout 3 obviously. Name one game where you climb out of the womb in the introduction and walk around as a baby.
Latest arcade completion: Warface

McGoogles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:38 AM   #58
BiggD

BiggDope's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeltingBalloons View Post
These are my two favourites as well. You pretty much get to be a part of what's happening from the start, and it really draws you into the story
The stealth genre just knows how to draw the player in it seems

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGoogles View Post
Fallout 3 obviously. Name one game where you climb out of the womb in the introduction and walk around as a baby.
Hmm…Fallout 3?

Old 01-23-2014, 02:07 AM   #59
Nevander

Nevander's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   Referrals - Bronze   Road Map - Silver   Achievement Guide - Silver   5,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkReign2021 View Post
3. Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion-
This is one that you would really have to have been there back in 2006 to truly appreciate. Less than a year into the new generation of consoles and coming off of the more-than-a-little-dated graphics of Morrowind, it was already obvious from screenshots that this game was going to be gorgeous, but you never really grasped the scope of it's beauty until you start the game with an airborne camera flying gracefully around the entirety of the enormous Imperial city, shown in all of it's glory. As if that weren't enough to make you tear up, couple the beautiful scenery with a beautifully narrated summary of the games opening plot by none other than Patrick Sterwart, the second sexiest voice in America. Before you've even created your character, you already know you're in for a treat out in this world of beauty and mystery.
Totally agree about this one. The intro is amazing. Seeing the Imperial city and the White-Gold Tower and hearing Uriel Septim talking about the 'final hours of his life...' Whoooo... GOOSEBUMPS!

Love Oblivion. Shame it loves to crash on my PC, and it has a serious stuttering problem (not just me). Still runs great on PC with insane frame rates. Got over 3000 at one point.

Almost forgot... QUAKE 3 ARENA INTRO!

And of course Quake 2! This one gives me serious chills.

Signature by Gackt. Click it to visit the Classic FPS Gamers x360a social group!
Random friend requests or invites sent with no message will be deleted.
I have moved to PC gaming for the most part, so I won't be on Xbox LIVE much anymore.

Last edited by Nevander; 01-23-2014 at 02:21 AM.
Nevander is offline   Reply With Quote