PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 LIVE Arcade Games > Card and Board > Poker Smash
Subscribe    Donate

Old 02-13-2008, 03:15 AM   #1
d3r1v3d

d3r1v3d's Gamercard
Chain Strategies

Now, I'm admittedly not the sharpest tool in the shed, but I seem to be having a hell of a time making chains in Poker Smash.

I understand the fundamental concept behind using dropping blocks to make hands as they fall into place, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to make a chain larger than 2x.

Does anyone have any tips or strategies that could help me out?
d3r1v3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 12:46 PM   #2
Otisbum

OtisFamily's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   Word of Mouth
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Note: Max chain I've gotten is x6, but if you understand these and practice enough, you should be able to get higher.

Use bombs to start off chains, they count as your first move so you can easily get x2 just from that (given you know where to put them). Since this is just for you to practice on, don't concern yourself with getting over a x5 the first try, work on it one move at a time. Be sure to use full slowdown so you have more time to view the moves ahead of time.

Here's a sexy diagram for you (card lineup is completely made up):

10 K J Q J
A K Q J K
K Q J 10 J

You'll notice that you have enough to make a set of queens, jacks, and kings, though not all at once. What you want to do is get as many of these destroyed as you can, without letting them hit the bottom and having to start a new chain.

--First: Plant a bomb on the bolded card:
Reasoning: You may notice that once this card is destroyed, the above cards will fall and make a 3 of a kind Jack hand.

10 K J Q J
A K Q J K
K Q J 10 J

Here's when it disappears when the bomb detonates:
(x1 Chain)
10 K J Q J
A K Q J K
K Q J -- J (it's purdy, ain't it? )

Now gravity takes place:
(The parenthesis indicate an empty space).

10 K J () J
A K Q Q K
K Q J J J

Now the Jacks will make a match (underlined):
(x2 Chain)
10 K J () J
A K Q Q K
K Q J J J

And when destroyed, hello again gravity:

10 K J () J
A K Q Q K
K Q -- -- --

to this:

10 K () () ()
A K J () J
K Q Q Q K

Look at that, the queens lined up for you, no moves made, and you've already gotten
(x3 Combo)
10 K () () ()
A K J () J
K Q Q Q K

And, when disappearing, gravity again takes place, notice the cards that will fall because of this:

10 K () () ()
A K J () J
K -- -- -- K

You should see that the K in the left bottom corner can be made to match with the falling Ks, move it to the right so that the red Ks fall onto it (slo-motion helps a lot with moves like this):
(x4 Combo)
10 K () () ()
A K J () J
-> K -- -- K

And there's your x4 combo. You should end up with a screen like this:

10 () () () J
A () J () K

So there you go. Unfortunately you can't be taught a method that will work all the time, so just keep your eyes peeled for moves ahead of time.
Just practice looking for moves in Practice mode, you can start off with the cards all the way at the top and look for moves.

Just try for x3 chains at first, then work your way up if you can manage to get more moves down.

All the best players seem to be moving the entire screen of blocks to the very top so that they can see all the moves and have more blocks falling to cause higher chains. I'd suggest watching the top player's video (PutSomeStankOnIt). He is as close to expert as you can get, if not already expert. Keep in mind that he's been playing this game for two years and knows it inside out, since he's the creator of the game and all.

The best thing you can do to get better at this is to learn to see moves quickly. The faster you find them, and the less you need to slow the game down, the better you'll be, and the more slo-down you can conserve until you really need it.

If this helps you any, let me know. I'm on the fence about creating a basic strategy guide, and I'll need something to do when I start and finish my next review.
(It'll have better diagrams if I do end up doing it. MS Paint ftw.)

EDIT: And sorry about the space issues with the diagram. Unfortunately it only kept one space between the cards, I had them even while writing the post. You should get the general idea though.

Last edited by Otisbum; 02-13-2008 at 01:23 PM.
Otisbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 03:25 PM   #3
d3r1v3d

d3r1v3d's Gamercard
Otis, you are the man. That was insanely helpful! Can't wait to get home and try it out later.

I would definitely suggest adding a strategy guide for newbs like myself. The in-game tutorial really doesn't go into a whole lot of detail as far as chaining is concerned and I can see a lot of people benefiting from your sagely wisdom. Thanks!
d3r1v3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 10:29 PM   #4
Otisbum

OtisFamily's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   Word of Mouth
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
God, this week has been a bit too good for my ego.
Hopefully I have a crappy week soon.

Well you've convinced me, after I get a review out of the way, I'll start putting together a basic strategy guide for the game.

EDIT: And about the "sagely" comment, over 12 hours in three days of the game tends to teach you a lot. I'm not that good at many other games, just good enough to get by, and to be honest, I'm not that good at this game either (yet ). This game just happened to click with me.

Last edited by Otisbum; 02-13-2008 at 10:34 PM.
Otisbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 09:53 PM   #5
TheGoalslammer

thegoalslammer's Gamercard
I'd recommend doing your practice in action mode so that you're storing your money (points) into your bank for buying the themes (an achievement once you have them all).

TheGoalslammer is offline   Reply With Quote