Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Main Hub > Discussion Boards > Games
Subscribe    Donate

Old 02-06-2014, 03:49 AM   #31
Slaughter.
GIT GUD

Cpt Slaugh7er's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Bronze   2,500 Posts   Subscriber - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Spiderman 2 and The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction. Star Wars: Battlefront 2 was great as well, so I'm looking forward to the new one.

Is the new one going to be cross gen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggD View Post
Something about a million psychotic ninja women who resemble snakes attacking me turns me on I guess.

Slaughter. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:52 AM   #32
Barad
Back from Dubai!

Send a message via Skype™ to Barad

Barad XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Platinum   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Bronze   Road Map - Emerald   Achievement Guide - Platinum   Donator - Level 2   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer   Staff Club - troy0891
Total Awards: 22 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Slaugh7er View Post
Spiderman 2 and The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction. Star Wars: Battlefront 2 was great as well, so I'm looking forward to the new one.

Spiderman 2 was amazing. I bought Spiderman 3 on 360 years ago in great excitement but then the game made me sick. Much like how Sims 2 was perfect on PS2, then I have my hopes for Sims 3 on 360 but it disappoints instead.

Barad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:32 AM   #33
FatalDeathSG45

BloodScourge88's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Hands down, Doom. Yes, Halo and Call of Duty are great in their own right, but if there's one FPS game I'll never get tired of playing, it's Doom. And let's be honest. Without Doom, first-person shooters as we know them today wouldn't exist.

I still play it on the PC, and the different .WAD files I can download greatly improve replayability
FatalDeathSG45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:34 PM   #34
BiggD
Hiatuses Are Overrated

BiggDope's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Gold   Road Map - Gold   10,000 posts   Submit - Diamond   Micro Guide - Diamond   A+ Thread Award   CABS Beta Tester   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   Donator - Level 2   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal
Total Awards: 16 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Slaugh7er View Post

Most likely no.

Thanks to Xerofox for the stunningly suave signature!
BiggD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:54 PM   #35
Crispycjc666

CrispyCJC666's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by A ZombieTwinkie View Post
Chrono Trigger on the SNES. Never get tired of that game. Even back to Super Mario Bros. 3, Battletoads, Kirby's Adventure on the NES, and Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars on SNES...

F**k yeah! CT is still one of my faves! Throw in Super Metroid, Zelda: A Link to the Past, Final Fantasy 3(6), Secret of Mana, Super Mario World. All of these games are still fun as hell to play!
Crispycjc666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:47 PM   #36
joebeef14

JOEBEEF14's Gamercard
1991 - born.
1996 - first encounter with gaming (standing up in grandma's shopping cart @ Toys-R-Us, tiny hands firmly wrapped and mind firmly rapt around titles like Metroid for SNES, Super Mario Kart 64, Spyro, and Sonic Adventure on Dreamcast.)

A few years later I got my very own N64 one Xmas, and we were off to the races.

KoTOR 1+2 will always be near and dear to my heart. Replaying #1 now, actually.
I got warm fuzzies seeing y'all mention Timesplitters and Age of Empires. Which brings up another favorite, Command&Conquer: Tiberium Sun

But to avoid the wrath of biggD, I would say my top favorite old game of all time would have to be...

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening.
Traveling on an epic journey that culminated in singing the Ballad of the Wind Fish on top of a mountain to an egg? Nothing short of epic.
joebeef14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:54 PM   #37
JeremyVersion1

JeremyVersion1's Gamercard

Super Mario Bros.

Love it.

Thanks to the great Cpt Slaughter for the VGCE Show Logo!

JeremyVersion1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:45 AM   #38
Nikke S

halo-series
Nikke S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:49 AM   #39
PiixL

Send a message via Skype™ to PiixL

ImPiixL's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1   XBA Promoter
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Tony Hawks Pro Skater 3. It was an unbelievable game at the time!

Xbox One: FIFA 14 & Titanfall (For Fun)

Arcade/DLC: Left 4 Dead: Crash Course & The Sacrifice DLC's & The Walking Dead Season 2

Signature & Avatar Created By Mr Chaotix
PiixL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 01:45 AM   #40
BiggD
Hiatuses Are Overrated

BiggDope's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Gold   Road Map - Gold   10,000 posts   Submit - Diamond   Micro Guide - Diamond   A+ Thread Award   CABS Beta Tester   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   Donator - Level 2   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiixL View Post
Tony Hawks Pro Skater 3. It was an unbelievable game at the time!
AGREED. I freakin' loved this game so much back on the PS1. Great track list, too!

Old 02-08-2014, 01:57 AM   #41
PainOfDemise

PainOfDemise's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1
Basically any of my favorite games from the SNES era. Those are just awesome games that I can't get enough of. Namely Earthbound, Secret of Mana/Evermore, and Chrono Trigger.

PainOfDemise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 02:00 AM   #42
PiixL

ImPiixL's Gamercard

Quote:
AGREED. I freakin' loved this game so much back on the PS1. Great track list, too!
I originally got the PS2 remake, updated graphics and stuff. I wish I had the PS1 version to compare it with each other

Arcade/DLC: Left 4 Dead: Crash Course & The Sacrifice DLC's & The Walking Dead Season 2

Old 02-08-2014, 02:04 AM   #43
PiixL

ImPiixL's Gamercard

Quote:
I also agree, it had a great track list but Tony Hawks American Wasteland has the best one to date!

Old 02-08-2014, 02:26 AM   #44
BiggD
Hiatuses Are Overrated

BiggDope's Gamercard

Quote:
I originally got the PS2 remake, updated graphics and stuff. I wish I had the PS1 version to compare it with each other
Yeah, I think it was developed by a different company too or something. Either way, I had a blast with it.

Quote:
I also agree, it had a great track list but Tony Hawks American Wasteland has the best one to date!
Damn, never played that one I liked Underground 1 and 2, now that we're on the topic of Tony Hawk.

Old 02-08-2014, 03:10 AM   #45
MabusScarab

Mabus Incarnate's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalDeathSG45 View Post
Hands down, Doom. Yes, Halo and Call of Duty are great in their own right, but if there's one FPS game I'll never get tired of playing, it's Doom. And let's be honest. Without Doom, first-person shooters as we know them today wouldn't exist.

I still play it on the PC, and the different .WAD files I can download greatly improve replayability
Wolfenstein released one year before Doom did by the same developer, so if one is more responsible for the influence of FPS games today it would be Wolfenstein. Doom came later and was essentially just a horror based version built on the same game code and design, even the HUD layout was near identical.

Regardless, someone else would have come up with that idea by now, I doubt highly that the FPS genre wouldn't exist today if Doom or Wolfenstein was never made, someone within a few years would have built something similar. As much as games have come along and evolved to think no one would create a first person shooter by now makes little sense.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not debating to be a jerk, it's just an alternate viewpoint from someone who also grew up during that generation of gaming and loved Doom and Wolfenstein when I was younger. I just feel like logically saying "Without Doom, first-person shooters as we know them today wouldn't exist" is tremendously inaccurate. It wasn't THAT original of a concept that no one else would have thought of it in the last 21 years, but props to them for being the pioneer.
MabusScarab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:00 AM   #46
Deadsea 18

Deadsea 1993's Gamercard

Deadrising 1. Ah the memories

Dating back further gta vice city and saandreas.

Check out my alternative rock music. If you like it spread the word it would really help me out.

https://soundcloud.com/soundwasteland
Deadsea 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:04 PM   #47
LordBern

LordBern's Gamercard
I'm dating myself here, but I still love to play Golden Axe. I got it way back in the day for the Sega Genesis and I still love playing it. Especially with local co-op. Maybe it's the sound effects for the game that I love so much?

I also loved Sim City 2000. I considered the new one for my PC but only heard bad things about it (no single player, etc).

And I USED to love Goldeneye for N64. Played it every day back then. My friend dusted it off last year and we popped it in to play. Yeah...it...it didn't age well...
LordBern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:13 PM   #48
The Big LT

The Big LT 77's Gamercard
Going way back to the days of the ZX Spectrum, one of my all time fave games has to be Dragontorc of Avalon. Would be interesting to see how a remake of that would go actually. Also love all of the old Dizzy games too, those are when puzzle based platform games were awesome.

Grow old never grow up
The Big LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:19 PM   #49
KelodyMelody

KelodyMelody's Gamercard
Ultima online!

I used to sneak on my brothers PC to play it, back when our internet was pay per minute. I was about 8. Crikey.
KelodyMelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:57 AM   #50
fvkasm2x

Y2Kasper10's Gamercard
Mario Kart on N64

fvkasm2x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 02:10 AM   #51
x WhiTestJoker

Defect Joker's Gamercard
I would say Super Smash Bros. and Mario Kart 64. I chose only 2, but pretty much any Nintendo 64 game(thank god my N64 still works).
x WhiTestJoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 02:43 AM   #52
Inebriated Jedi

Send a message via Skype™ to Inebriated Jedi

Inebriated Jedi's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Silver   Staff Club - Inebriated Jedi   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Best of XBLA Challenge Club - Tier 1   Three Lives Remaining - Finalist   Donator - Level 1   Staff Club - AOS Puck   Staff Club - TemporalWizard   Staff Club - * Clueless *   XBA Promoter   1,000 Posts   Gamer Chick!
Total Awards: 12 (more» ...)
Day of the Tentacle. It still holds up to this day.

Inebriated Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:19 PM   #53
Fragarach Luin

Jacob Ulysses's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   Community Gaming - Bronze   Staff Club - DEG23   Staff Club - DeekBoy
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MabusScarab View Post
Wolfenstein released one year before Doom did by the same developer, so if one is more responsible for the influence of FPS games today it would be Wolfenstein. Doom came later and was essentially just a horror based version built on the same game code and design, even the HUD layout was near identical.

Regardless, someone else would have come up with that idea by now, I doubt highly that the FPS genre wouldn't exist today if Doom or Wolfenstein was never made, someone within a few years would have built something similar. As much as games have come along and evolved to think no one would create a first person shooter by now makes little sense.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not debating to be a jerk, it's just an alternate viewpoint from someone who also grew up during that generation of gaming and loved Doom and Wolfenstein when I was younger. I just feel like logically saying "Without Doom, first-person shooters as we know them today wouldn't exist" is tremendously inaccurate. It wasn't THAT original of a concept that no one else would have thought of it in the last 21 years, but props to them for being the pioneer.
Came on to this thread, saw the post you're referring to, and was just about to say nearly this exact thing. Ninja'd, I guess.

Now, it isn't totally fair to say that such-and-such WOULD have eventually happened, so whoever did it first isn't that impressive. Someone would have eventually set foot on the moon, but everybody knows who Neil Armstrong is.

With that said, I think you're right: Wolfenstein was more of a game-changer than Doom. And I'm saying that as someone who enjoys Doom more. Sure, it refined the gameplay and concepts, but Wolfenstein blazed the trail and proved that FPS games could work (that statement seems a bit silly in a gaming world flooded with FPS titles).
Old 02-22-2014, 01:18 AM   #54
lil jacob69

Lil_Jacob69's Gamercard
Super mario yoshi's island for snes for sure
lil jacob69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 05:47 AM   #55
Rymt

Omisake's Gamercard

I'm only 17 so my favourite old game wouldn't go as far back as some other people but whatever.

I would have to go with the original Halo. The one where it all began. The great days of having 15 of my buddies over and blasting each other all through the night. Great times.

Thanks to Cpt Slaughter for the amazing sig!
Rymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 01:04 PM   #56
Citizen Erased

EXOGEN1SIS's Gamercard
I play through final fantasy VII at least once a year and I can't stay off the first few Crash Bandicoot games either. I still play Age of Empires 2 and Doom 1 and 2 on the PC too
Citizen Erased is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:52 PM   #57
Fragilesound

fragilesound's Gamercard
Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2. I like my twin stick shooters, but this one is my favorite. Especially Pacifism mode. There's nothing like having the whole screen full of enemies and your ship making a small path through the gates with explosions everywhere.
Fragilesound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:54 PM   #58
Sampson

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Mine's definitely Sonic Adventure 2. No matter how much I play that game, I will never get tired of it. It's just so well done.

"Everyone is entitled to their own sorrow, for the
heart has no metrics or form of measure. And all of
it... irreplaceable."

Thanks to Rajeanero for the excellent signature!
Sampson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:51 AM   #59
Reggiez

Reggiez's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Silver
Hard to pick a favorite seeing as there have been so many good games through the years.

However I would probably go with either Chrono Trigger or Secret of Mana. I loved those games and have played them more than once. Not that often I do that with an rpg (nowadays things are slightly different with achievements sometimes making you play rpgs several times).
Old 03-14-2014, 04:38 PM   #60
JeremyVersion1

JeremyVersion1's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragilesound View Post
Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2. I like my twin stick shooters, but this one is my favorite. Especially Pacifism mode. There's nothing like having the whole screen full of enemies and your ship making a small path through the gates with explosions everywhere.
That's.....that's not an old game.

Thanks to the great Cpt Slaughter for the VGCE Show Logo!

JeremyVersion1 is offline   Reply With Quote